• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tali'Zorah

Oct 27, 2017
Norfolk, UK
Is, as in right now, the worst kept secret in the industry is obviously Spyro
Was, as in in the past, is a tougher question. AC Origins and Shadow of the Tomb Raider both seemed to leak ridiculous amounts of times. Also worth noting that while it didn't leak that long before its announcement, an actual physical playable PS4 slim was out in the wild before it was announced, despite Sony's hilarious attempts at trying to deny it existed

Mar 23, 2018
I don't wanna say Valve because it would make me sad if it turns out to be true, but Valve hasn't released an AAA game in almost 6 years now :( they also parted ways with their 3-4 main writers, the writers from Half Life 2 Ep 1 & 2, Portal 1 & 2, Left 4 Dead 1 & 2... It feels a bit like Konami in that regard :(

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
I feel like by and large in the last 5 years "worst kept secrets" are companies either not caring if the info leaks or leaking it themselves as a part of marketing. Leaks are so ingrained in the cycle of advertising now. A lot of games have been "leaked" with just enough info to get people interested, but not enough to let people know anything important.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Crash and then Spyro. When Layden wore the Crash Bandicoot shirt during PSX, we knew a Crash announcement by Sony or Activision was just as a matter of time.

evilmonkey

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Not a game or system, but the notion that horsepower determines which systems get which games is the probably the industry's worst kept secret. What's worse is that no publisher or developer has ever outright stated it, but most people (wrongly) assume that and fall for it every time.

JimmyJacking

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like by and large in the last 5 years "worst kept secrets" are companies either not caring if the info leaks or leaking it themselves as a part of marketing. Leaks are so ingrained in the cycle of advertising now. A lot of games have been "leaked" with just enough info to get people interested, but not enough to let people know anything important.

I would have to agree, most 'leaks' these days seem to be quite deliberate. Staged and/or managed.

That said probably the most damaging and non-deliberate leak in the last 5-6ish years would have to have been the Durango specs and goodies.

Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I think I remember the original Xbox being a known thing for months before it was revealed, right? I'm pretty sure everyone was talking about it back then but maybe I'm confusing it for something else.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
I'm curious if there has ever been a 'Bill Finger, Bob Kane, Batman' kind of thing in the gaming industry. I'm sure if there was it would have been on something from the early days of the industry as I don't see anything like that happening these days. I'm sure if it had happened we would know about it but I've never heard anything like it.

For reference, Bill Finger was the co-creator of Batman and went uncredited for his entire life, all of Bob Kanes life, and for a long time after that.

(I just watched Batman and Bill)

evilmonkey

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm curious if there has ever been a 'Bill Finger, Bob Kane, Batman' kind of thing in the gaming industry. I'm sure if there was it would have been on something from the early days of the industry as I don't see anything like that happening these days. I'm sure if it had happened we would know about it but I've never heard anything like it.

For reference, Bill Finger was the co-creator of Batman and went uncredited for his entire life, all of Bob Kanes life, and for a long time after that.

Mega Man, kinda. For a very long time Inafune had the full credit for the character, and it was only a few years ago that he came clean that he was only the co-creator.

The character's real creator, Akira Kitamura, left Capcom fairly early on, then opened his own company and worked on a few games, then seemingly disappeared off the face of the Earth.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Mega Man, kinda. For a very long time Inafune had the full credit for the character, and it was only a few years ago that he came clean that he was only the co-creator.

The character's real creator, Akira Kitamura, left Capcom fairly early on, then opened his own company and worked on a few games, then seemingly disappeared off the face of the Earth.
Oh wow, that's exactly what I was looking for. I'm gonna dig around and see if I can't find some more information. Thanks!

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017

Besides Inafune, there's also Yuji Naka, who was once universally considered "The Father of Sonic" and was basically hailed as the Miyamoto of Sega. In reality, Naka only programmed Sonic - the character was designed by Naoto Ohshima (who went on to helm Artoon/Arzest) and the game was designed by Hirokazu Yasuhara (who actually worked at Naughty Dog for a time and worked on some of the Mario and Donkey Kong games), and neither of these things were really well-known until the 2000s. Supposedly, Naka had a massive ego and caused a ton of conflict at Sega, including driving Yasuhara out of Sonic Team and having him work for other teams at Sega. There are plenty stories of Naka being difficult to work with, which probably counts as a "worst kept secret."

For what it's worth though, it does seem like he's mellowed as he got older and he has since mended ties with Yasuhara and Ohshima. You don't see him doing shit like this anymore:

JamarXII

Oct 25, 2017
What about Horizon Zero Dawn? Wasn't the concept art out for quite a while before there was anything official?

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Besides Inafune, there's also Yuji Naka, who was once universally considered "The Father of Sonic" and was basically hailed as the Miyamoto of Sega. In reality, Naka only programmed Sonic - the character was designed by Naoto Ohshima (who went on to helm Artoon/Arzest) and the game was designed by Hirokazu Yasuhara (who actually worked at Naughty Dog for a time and worked on some of the Mario and Donkey Kong games), and neither of these things were really well-known until the 2000s. Supposedly, Naka had a massive ego and caused a ton of conflict at Sega, including driving Yasuhara out of Sonic Team and having him work for other teams at Sega. There are plenty stories of Naka being difficult to work with, which probably counts as a "worst kept secret."

For what it's worth though, it does seem like he's mellowed as he got older and he has since mended ties with Yasuhara and Ohshima. You don't see him doing shit like this anymore:

Woah, talk about an intro. Thanks for the info though, very interesting stuff. I'm gonna have to dig around some more and look at this stuff.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Someone already said it, but PSP Go - footage of the hardware was leaked before the system was even officially announced, which is wild. That's the only time I remember a hardware leak being that egregious.

Capcom always seems to leak like a sieve. IIRC, every SSF4 character was leaked right around the time it was announced, including Hakan who wasn't supposed to be revealed until a couple months before release. SFV DLC continues to get leaked months in advance, which probably lead to them annoucing all of S3 at once this time instead of doing it month-by-month. MHW was known months in advance. DMCV seems 99% likely at this point and it's been leaked since December.

I'm still kind of amazed that no one leaked that KITCHEN was a RE7 demo, even though there was stuff going around about the next RE being a return to series' roots.
Marvel Infinite was leaked like two or 3 months in advance by a guy who uploads fighting game replays on YouTube lol

Baleoce

Oct 27, 2017

This might just be the best thing I've ever seen xD

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017

Hmm.

The one that immediately comes to mind is Patrice Desilets and Jade Raymond with regards to Assassin's Creed. I recall Raymond being presented as the creative face of the franchise, where her role (as producer) would've been closer to that of Bob Kane's role in Batman.

But like Bill Finger, or Steve Ditko, it was probably just a case of the most comfortable speaker (Bob Kane and Stan Lee respectively) taking the reigns. Especially with Assassin's Creed I imagine making Jade Raymond the face of the franchise was probably a Ubisoft decision, rather than anything deliberately antagonistic.

EmptySpace

Oct 26, 2017
I feel we have known for about 3 years that the 2017 AC would be a prequel set in Egypt. That series could fill out this thread by itself.

Probably a result of having so many devs working on them.

There were hints of AC:Origins way back in 2012 with a game know as Osiris that was supposed to be a Prince of Persia reboot at first. The game was definitely set in ancient Egypt, but not much else is known about it. Looking at the one screenshot that got out does seem very AC like though.

AhkCmjsvnDTlUS1RTDRzVA2tZLvU_kZc4s8bQ1PW4jc.jpg

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Hmm.

The one that immediately comes to mind is Patrice Desilets and Jade Raymond with regards to Assassin's Creed. I recall Raymond being presented as the creative face of the franchise, where her role (as producer) would've been closer to that of Bob Kane's role in Batman.

But like Bill Finger, or Steve Ditko, it was probably just a case of the most comfortable speaker (Bob Kane and Stan Lee respectively) taking the reigns. Especially with Assassin's Creed I imagine making Jade Raymond the face of the franchise was probably a Ubisoft decision, rather than anything deliberately antagonistic.
Correct me if I'm wrong, and I know I'm going off information from a documentary, but wasn't the case between Bill Finger and Bob Kane exactly antagonistic and malicious? According to a number of reports, Bob Kane went out of his way to make sure he was the only one who got credit for the creation of Batman, not a publicity move as you imply.

*Sorry OP, I'll stop hijacking your thread.

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
Nintendo is the worst at keeping secrets. I think we've known about every single one of their consoles way before release.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3's roster.

They fucked up the files on their own homepage. Like come on lol.

Deleted member 2171

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Halo 3 is probably up there.

I know they like to make fun of the Bungie employee that accidentally wore his Halo 3 shirt in public the day before the reveal, but c'mon, it was so obviously coming at that point.

And as an addendum, the Halo 3 Mythic Collection, which was not only accidentally leaked via a glitch, but then Bungie had the maps held back by Mattrick, but they were still in the game's achievements in a title update, but Bungie had to pretend those achievements didn't exist for a full on year when all you had to do was press the guide button to see them.

Reach's existence was leaked by MS (in materials that referred to it as Halo 4, for those out there mildly interested by that stuff). When Reach itself was leaked people thought it was fake because it debuted the new "flat" Halo logo.

Twilight princess was leaked like in 2 or 3 different ways.

Yeah, that's another one. People like to post the freakout video at E3, but people were hollering because it was confirming the leaks that were out left and right at that point.

strideredge

Oct 25, 2017
I seem to recall the PS3 twisted metal having a story where they went past just not confirming it to making people outright or to try to make it a surprise.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I could have sworn a bunch of stuff from Playstation All Stars Battle Royale leaked months ahead of the game's official announcement.

The story Peter Moore told about meeting him is one of my favorite tales to come out of the industry.

DigitalTravis

Oct 28, 2017
The horrible treatment and overworking of employees. The environment of game development is awful and I am ashamed more protection isn't offered in the industry of products I love.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Any Bethesda sequel. Like when FO4 wasn't announced for years but everyone knew it was being done.

Same for Elder Scrolls 6 now I guess.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
Most YouTube personalities when it concerns gaming are really terrible people?

SaucyDancer

Feb 27, 2018
The Smash Wii U roster. There were constant leaks leading up to release and a picture of the entire cast with a load of unannounced characters was released. Also the DLC of Roy and Ryu was found through data-mining before we knew there would be any more DLC.

NexasX

Oct 29, 2017
Definitely not the worst, but I don't think anyone was particularly surprised that the new Doom had a really difficult development cycle, and all the interviews and PR spin didn't really paint the game in a positive light. It really surprised in the end but I think most people (me included) was ready to write it off as another Duke Nukem Forever.

Deleted member 25108

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Especially in places like This, which seems to serve as a market research/Viral marketing hub at the best of times.

The meaning of leak has been watered down so much over the years it barely means anything anymore. The last great leak was NTCNL or whatever his name was (who was also a viral marketer)

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
I'll reiterate the Switch hardware revision. It was no secret the thing launched woefully underpowered and would swiftly get an upgrade, then the Mariko code name was uncovered.