• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
Any suggestions for a modern JRPG with some decent romance? Not looking for something too "fan service-y". Just some good fun romantic relationships between party members.
Depends on modern I guess? Non fan service-y? Very few. Trails in the Sky FC and SC is pretty good for that and Valkyria Chronicles has a good element of it I enjoyed in the latter end of the game.

Most other are generally more harem waifu with tropes now days....

civet

Jul 6, 2019
France
Finally after finishing FFVIIR and being fairly disapointed by it, I felt like firing up FFXV and I ended up appreciating it quite a lot! The bromance is well made, there's a lot of very touching scenes during the whole play, the dungeons are really fun (especially coming from VIIR!), I really enjoyed the gigantic aspect of some scenes and there's a lot of good music (I just really disliked the fact that there is a music for the menu itself, it really breaks the mood when another music is already paying).

Of course the game is a bit broken on some parts and it really lacks of transitional scenes in order for the story to flow smoothly. I think it really suffered from being a multi media project and would have been so much better as one whole thing but it does a lot of things right and I'll remember it in a positive way.

Orbit

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
Finally after finishing FFVIIR and being fairly disapointed by it, I felt like firing up FFXV and I ended up appreciating it quite a lot! The bromance is well made, there's a lot of very touching scenes during the whole play, the dungeons are really fun (especially coming from VIIR!), I really enjoyed the gigantic aspect of some scenes and there's a lot of good music (I just really disliked the fact that there is a music for the menu itself, it really breaks the mood when another music is already paying).

Of course the game is a bit broken on some parts and it really lacks of transitional scenes in order for the story to flow smoothly. I think it really suffered from being a multi media project and would have been so much better as one whole thing but it does a lot of things right and I'll remember it in a positive way.

yeah, luckily i went in FFXV with the mindset 'this is a complete mess of a game but has some good parts' and it saved me from completely hating the game. you can see where the game could've been great :/

as for me: p5 royal and loving it. on second playthrough and almost done. well worth the $65 if you loved persona 5.

Rapscallion

Oct 25, 2017
My quarantine series so far has been the Trails of Cold Steel games. Started the 2nd immediately after finishing the first.

Great characters, story, and battle system.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Every time I see this thread bumped I go "Man, I should play Blue Dragon again..."

I'm going to start playing it tomorrow and finish a run.

kinda hard to hear, but he said "Vow locked in."

Tobli

Oct 30, 2017
I am nearing the end of chapter 4 in Tokyo mirage sessions.

I have been trying to do side stories as they become available, but the recommended level for some of the ones in this chapter spiked considerably.

I have also been playing Dark souls 3. It feels nice playing a soulslike again. I have reached the road of sacrifices with my Uchigitana Dex build.

When I play a new soulslike I tend to finish an area, and then watch blind playtroughs from some of my favorite YouTubers up to where I am. With this playthrough I have been watching Rhapsody and Bluelizardjello.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
??? Explain yourself! That game is great!!

Well I decided to replay it because SmashERA had a big brouhaha about it not being really that great, so I wanted to confirm if it was still as good as I remember since I considered it my favourite depiction of the Mario universe, and the best game in the whole franchise.

So I played it yesterday for a few hours and it was a lot slower and plodding than I remember, and all the really bad shit like Chapter 4 and General White is coming back to me.

Last edited:

Textured Monk

Oct 27, 2017
I'm back into FFXII (PS4) to go alongside Animal Crossing. Continued my save from about two years ago in Giruvegan and pushed through there and the Great Crystal. Off to do hunts and side quests now. I love the Zodiac Age job boards so much more than the original game.

It's probably my favourite of the more modern FFs, but I'm never actually finished it so I really need to get through to the end this time.

Eppcetera

Mar 3, 2018
I started a replay of Chrono Trigger on New Game+ to wash away the bad taste of Secret of Mana, after I finally finished the latter game for the first time.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
Is the Switch version the way to go with DQ11?
I feel like ANY JRPG on the Switch is the way to go... unless there's serious performance issues (like YsVIII). But yeah, the upgrades are better/faster on the Switch, and its portable.

The 2D pixel mode is completely whatever though, I didn't like it and I don't see how anyone could stand playing that instead of the beautiful actual game.

PhantomArtifice

Lead Administrator at Final Weapon
Verified
Apr 24, 2019
USA
I've been playing Final Fantasy VII Remake still, but I've also started a replay of Final Fantasy VII on Steam. Going to replay though Crisis Core and Final Fantasy VIII after.

tiesto

Oct 27, 2017
Long Island, NY
I just beat the Moonbrooke chapter in DQ Builders 2. I was originally planning on doing all of the tablet challenges but some of them look more grindy than they're worth. Yesterday I finally got my copy of FF7R so I'm gonna put DQB2 on the backburner for a bit. Right now I just made it to chapter 4 and am enjoying it more than I thought I would.

DQB2 is a bit of a weird one for me, I loved the first one, and while the sequel takes a step forward in some ways, there are other ways it takes a step back. It feels even more hand-holdy, there's a ridiculous amount of new building materials that make inventory searching a chore, the explorers shores are blah, and DQ2 is my least favorite entry of the series so it doesn't have the nostalgia the DQ1 basis for DQB1 did. Like, the first time I played DQ1 as a little kid, when I got to the Dragonlord I chose to join him. Eventually I went back and beat him but thinking about how that one action wayyyyy long ago led to the plot for DQB1 made it even more immersive for me.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Having a blast with TMS#FEE. Fight almost every enemy I meet so no trouble leveling.

Well I decided to replay it because SmashERA had a big brouhaha about it not being really that great, so I wanted to confirm if it was still as good as I remember since I considered it my favourite depiction of the Mario universe, and the best game in the whole franchise.

So I played it yesterday for a few hours and it was a lot slower and plodding than I remember, and all the really bad shit like Chapter 4 and General White is coming back to me.
I mean Paper Mario 64 is the best one. Pacing is a huge part of that. Although Color splash had good pacing, a decent story and a solid art style. Just needed a better combat system

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
Playing both KH3 and FFVIIR.

KH3 is such trash but my kids LOVE it. They ask me to play it everyday. We're at the toy story world, they're gonna have their minds blown when they see Frozen. They don't know it's in the game haha!

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
But the series continues with Trails from Zero via the recently completed Geofront Fan Translation... ;)

Speaking of which, that's what I'm playing. Just finished the intermission post-chapter 3 and I think so far I like it more than Cold Steel 1/2. The scenarios just seem more original and refreshing, and I'm loving the translation, setting and characters. I still think the whole series is great, but it's really resonating why people gush over the Crossbell games so much and it's incredible to finally have them in such a playable state.

After this it'll be time for Ao/Azure, then go back and finish the Extra parts of CS2 (I stopped where they began, because of Spoilers) and then I can finally load up CS3, which I got in a sale on PS4 back in like... October?

Yeesh.
Yeah I'm gonna do that after I finish with CS2 since a friend recommended I do so before CS3 at least. CS1 was good, but felt a bit too formulaic. I'm liking how CS2 is starting off already!

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
After FFVIIR I decided to pick KH3 back up again. I stopped somewhere mid Frozen level. I'm actually kind of liking it more than I was at the time. I'm not entirely sure why but I feel like I understand the systems a lot more. Finished up the Monsters Inc world, which I really liked and now I'm in the Caribbean.

Also picked up my FFXII Remaster save. It was only a couple hours into the game. The beginning always kind of bores me when I try to replay the game so I'm glad I'm a bit further in now when things pick up.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
In the third dungeon in tms#fee, having a great time since I understand the combat system better this time around and radiant unities. Balancing the skills is tough though.

Zaber

Alt account
Banned
Sep 11, 2019
Now that Bravely Second is done, I am undecided if I should start Sands of Destruction or Valkyire Profil: Covenant of the Plume.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Playing the original Final Fantasy VII for the first time on Switch. Really fun, and 3x speed is a godsend

Anabolex

Mar 23, 2018
I restarted FF8 Remaster. Getting op with barely any grinding is so much fun. Got Lionheart on disc one and I just made it to disc 2.

GeekyDad

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
USA
Now that Bravely Second is done, I am undecided if I should start Sands of Destruction or Valkyire Profil: Covenant of the Plume.

Covenant of the Plume is an excellent game, one of my favorite on DS. It has excellent writing and dialogue. The gameplay isn't for everyone, though. Most folks aren't used to aggroing in an SRPG.

Zaber

Alt account
Banned
Sep 11, 2019
Covenant of the Plume is an excellent game, one of my favorite on DS. It has excellent writing and dialogue. The gameplay isn't for everyone, though. Most folks aren't used to aggroing in an SRPG.
I have been craving SRPG gameplay lately, but I've had SoD in the backlog for years. I'll give both a couple of hours and go from there.

yungronny

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Any suggestions for a Switch JRPG? I finished Saga Scarlet Grace not too long ago and fucking LOVED it, haven't gotten into a JRPG like that in a long time.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I got to chapter 2 on Bravely Second and there's actually a character even more annoying than the cat girl... I've genuinely never played a game with dialogue this bad, I've started skipping most cutscenes

SnesCartman

Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing ff6 right now hopefully I can finish it this time.
Right now I just started World of ruin and I'm at 22 hours, how long do I have until the final boss?

Chrizzy_81

Oct 28, 2017
England
Currently playing FF8 for the first time. I'm liking the story but it kind of feels bare bones content wise compared to FF7 (original). On disc 4 so I think I'll be finishing it pretty soon. May move on to FF9 next, or I may go more modern and play persona 5.

Buzzth

Jan 15, 2018
Japan
Also playing FF8 after completing FF7 OG. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the junction system, it seems quite a bit tedious to deal with so far. Much prefer Materia and equipment systems from 7 and 9, but maybe I'll warm up to it. The characters are also a little bit less to my liking. Will update my thoughts later on.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
A few hours into Cold Steel on the Vita. I'm so glad Alisa isn't the only romance option because she is pretty annoying. Better game than expected though.

Jadow

Oct 27, 2017
I am planning to play Tales of Symphonia for the first time (Steam version with mods that unfuck the port) anything I should know regarding the game? I have played Abyss and Vesperia (fave), started Berseria and the one before that but didn't finish them.

filkry

Oct 25, 2017
Started Octopath Traveller. I love a lot about it, but also find some of it pretty underwhelming (the writing in particular is super aggressive about exhaustively stating every feeling a person is having, leaving little nuance or subtlety). Just went into my first Chapter 2 area very underlevelled, and pulling out a few wins against the random enemies there has been a highlight.