• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
This is why the 90s and early 00s were the best time for RPGs IMO. A lot of the classic games are all less than 60 hours long to 100% and that makes them highly replayable.

Rebirth and DQ11 are the most recent examples of games that would have been even better if they were 20 hours shorter.

One of the things I think people are starting to realize is that voice acting and fully-scripted/staged cutscenes RAMPANTLY lengthen games. PS1 RPGs tended to have extremely brisk cutscene pacing because you could read pretty quickly and mash through dialogue prompts. But in modern games where every cutscene is a fully-modeled, fully-animated PRODUCTION, scenes that took like a minute and a half to get through in the original FFVII are extended to 10-15 minute one-act plays.

I don't think there's really a solution. Some games WORK without voice acting. Some games can't. Making a game like FFVII Rebirth, for example, but every cutscene is a minute long, would feel like a weird disjointed fever dream.

moreso than it already does, i mean

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
Starting up Eiyuden Chronicle, and circling back around to finish up Infinite Wealth! Haven't even started Persona 3 yet. This year has been insane for JRPGs and there are still quite a few I'm interested in later in the year.

Really feels like we've re-entered a JRPG golden age.

I really wish they would shorten modern RPGs.

Played through CrossCode, and it was fantastic, but everything was longer than it needed to be.

I'm slogging my way through FF VII Rebirth now and it's such a good game when it's firing on all cylinders. Love the variety and the minigames and whatnot. But the traversal and map checklist just pads out the game so much. I'm at Gongaga now and it's just exhausting. I'm at 55 hours in and I still have so much game left.

Still need to get back to DQ 11, Octopath 2, Yakuza 7 and Persona 5, and those are all so damned long.

I yearn back for the days of 20-40 hour JRPGs.

I mean... you could just not do the map checklist busy work in Rebirth. You can easily look at what Chadley has on offer from map completion, most of the materia is non-essential. Rebirth actually doesn't do much to gate you from going directly through the MSQ, which can easily shave off like 30-40 hours of game time.

In general I agree though JRPGs are too damn long these days. Persona 5 broke me about 80 hours in and I just couldn't bring myself to pick it back up.

PallasKitten

Jul 11, 2022
So I completed Wild Arms 3, though I abandoned my plans to 100% it because the 100 floor Abyss dungeon seemed far too tedious just doing the mandatory 10 or so floors. And knowing it could take like 3+ hours and you can't save during it... I definitely wouldn't have the patience to lose that much time if I died halfway through that and had to redo it all over again.

I still did most of the optional content, and had a blast with the game in general. It's definitely the most "wild west" feeling game of the series I've played so far (1-3), and I enjoyed the simple but sometimes difficult puzzles the dungeons had - I feel like many of the more recent JRPGs I've played either don't really have puzzles or they aren't too enjoyable, which is a shame because puzzles have always been something I really enjoy about JRPG dungeons.
The story was also pretty engaging, and I appreciated how the game kinda felt a bit like a shounen anime, but with a female main character. The characters themselves were all pretty lovable as well. I hear this is one of those games that has a bit of foreshadowing that's very apparent on a subsequent playthrough, but my backlog is far too large to even consider that any time soon (if ever).

It did have some issues though, like sometimes not even giving you any real hints on what to do next to proceed, though I mostly used a walkthrough with it. Also the movement controls were a little floaty and I found myself falling off edges in dungeons a lot (which thankfully doesn't do anything other put you back at the entrance of the room). It was especially annoying doing the millennium puzzles where you're mostly moving blocks around, and have to press X to grab them, but X is also to run/charge, and I found myself sometimes not standing quite close enough to the blocks and charging them instead which sent my character flying back over the edge, resetting the puzzle. It's pretty much the exact same movement system from the PS1 games, for better and worse, and I ended up finding it easier to just control my characters with the D-pad than the control stick most of the time.

I played the game on PS4 (I'm never attempting to play any PS2 classics on PS5), and it ran mostly fine though occasionally the game would have random micro freezes/stutters, and the audio sometimes got a bit choppy during some cutscenes where there were several characters on screen at once, so the emulation wasn't perfect but I never had crashes or anything (something I hear was an issue back when it first released on PS4 before getting patched).

Overall, I had a great time with the game and it's definitely entered my top 20 PS2 JRPGs. I hear the series went in a bit of a different direction after this game, but I'm interested in checking out Wild Arms 4 and 5 eventually, as well as Alter Code F, and I'm looking forward to see how Armed Fantasia turns out.

Apr 20, 2022
Carrying on my quest to play the Xenoblade chronicles trilogy. After finishing and enjoying 1 I started 2. I'm about 30 ish hrs in now. I arrived in indol the holy city.

The game feels like a step back from XC1 in many ways. The graphics can look terrible at times even on docked. Blurry visuals when there's not much on screen like your party in front of a wall, tons of pop in including quest giving NPCs that spawn as you run past, random frame rate issues (like you move the camera one way it's fine but immediately move it back the opposite way and it slows down why the difference?), the big and ugly ass UI that looks it's from first iPhone and so on.

Sound is a weird one. The English accents are fine I like the variety given to each country but it's poorly done for the most part. Important events where the characters are hyper energetic but the voice is a calm and slow. Rex voice actor cant shout or scream to save his life. Mytha and Pyra have terrible voices that lack emotion and at times sound like the actors are phoning it in, mythra reveal cutscene for example a huge event happened and she's finally ready to fight but she's got a disinterested monotone voice that really takes you out of the situation. Also a lot of characters have this slow cadence to to their speech, it's obviously to fit with the lip sync (which still fails most of the time) but it's distracting.

The story isn't the gripping and for large portions there's no real driving factor, you bumble your way to country to country. Some characters have wild designs like most female blades showing skin (I'm not opposed to it, but that's all there is to them, for example I don't know anything about Pyra creation/backstory other than she's got a nice figure). Rex himself has the most stupidest design ever, he's a fucking salvager with armour and he fights in mostly his under armour leotard thing showing. Link in his undies in BOTW looks more intimidating than goofy ass Rex.

Game play. This a doozy. The game is VERY stingy in what is available to you at any given time. You keep unlocking different parts of the battle system at varying times. In 30hrs in and I'm still being given tutorials of what new things I can do. Because you lack so much the combat feels bare bones and a drag for large portions.

In the early game all I could do was auto attack, fire of arts and use a special. That's it. No element combos, no chain attacks. It was so slow and boring.

Then when I finally unlocked element combos many hours in but because of the limited number of characters and their elements I could only use 2 or 3 combos of fire, water, earth. In a fight I might only get 1 combo off. Worse is that element combos charge so slowly between party members so often the timer would run out before I could land the final 3rd element. If I didn't then I have to start from element 1 again. I actually looked up online guides and learned there are items that increase the charge time of elements (the pouch items). The fucking game never told me this, it would've helped greatly if I was told this earlier. Now charging element combos is much faster and much more enjoyable. However that also means other items are relatively useless, would I have a slightl defense increase or faster charging abilities which can lead to more damage, more combos, quicker kill times? Makes most items obsolete.

Speaking of not telling you things the game has serious case of giving you half the details. Tutorials only explain the basics and there is no codex or menu screen to re read tutorials, if you miss it the first time or don't understand though luck.

The biggest offender is navigation - any time you get a marker you get a compass on the top of the screen which sounds standard, except it fundamentally doesn't work. The compass can give the location of the place you're meant to go or it gives the route to take even if the location is elsewhere. There is no way of knowing so I routinely got lost going the wrong direction. In the first world Gormot I had lots of trouble navigating the forest because the compass tells me to go somewhere but I can't, it's a dead end. Any ledges around also don't lead anywhere. Instead I have to in the opposite direction first through a clearing, past a few level 80 enemies and get to a fork that finally takes me in the right direction. Again I had to look it up online because I didn't know the compass was fucking broken and doesn't work as you'd expect most of the time.

Having said all that I'm still enjoying it. I mean I have to be if I put in 30hrs with a game that has so many gameplay design and performance issues. The charming characters the battle system slowly getting better and I guess the Xenoblade brand name are carrying my interest. If not for those I wouldce dropped this game within the first say 5 hours because even then it was huge slog to get through.

Apr 20, 2022
The quests in XB2 are different to XB1, its less "talk to people get quests" (Though I think this does happen occasionally...can't remember exactly) and more that you get them from a Job Board. There's also substantially fewer. There are however more "side story" quests for the blades in your party (Who are effectively side characters) which have voice acted segments and add more world building.

The problem with XB2 is that you have these things called "Field skills". They're basically things in the environment that you can't pass/interact with etc. until you have a certain "power level" - but that power level is based on which "blades" you're using, and you get the blades from a Gatcha system.

Personally, I found it to be a frustration but not a blocker. If you're more concerned with playing the main campaign and not worrying about quests too much you'll rarely have an issue with them (As all the ones that gate story progression are sufficiently low lev fieldeled that you will "naturally" be able to pass them, or with only a small bit of grinding), if you want to go the more completionism route then you'll probably end up getting a bit more annoyed with them.

The battle system in XB2 also starts off quite slow (a lot of waiting for timers), ends up getting quite complicated, but then towards the second half of the game when you have most of the mechanics figured out ends up being really satisfying and interactive.

All that said, the story in XB2 is really enjoyable, the environments are fun and some of the characters are really good. I would heartedly recommend playing it.

(And then playing the DLC (Though it can be skipped), then playing the DLC for XB1, then XB3 and then XB3 DLC - in that order)

Edit: Oh, another thing that I liked: Whenever you get experience for discovering locations, doing quests etc. (Basically anything that doesnt involve killing an enemy), it effectively goes into a "bank" and doesn't get applied immediately. This means that if you ever reach segment of the game where you feel you need to level grind, you typically dont have to. You go to a campsite and cash in some of the banked exp. This continues in XB3 too and I think its a fantastic way to prevent overleveling and pointless grinding)
Been playing XC2 (made a little mini journal of it above).

Quests: theyre a sight improvement but still the same generic fetch quests. The exposition screen from quest givers is so boring I end up skipping everything and so the errands. The navigation compass is broken, I can't tell you the number if times I've got lost getting an area or NPC because the compass sent me the wrong way. Early in Gormot I couldn't find where to go for the fucking main quest because the marker took me to a dead end, I had to look up a guide and that's when I realised how shit it was.

Field skills: not that bad tbh but it's annoying some skills are locked behind blades I haven't gotten yet.

Battle system: I go into detail above but yeah it's terriblely paced. It's extremely basic due the first dozen hours and once you start unlocking more features like elements combos and burst combo things pick up. But it takes like 30+ hours to get there. That's easy too long no matter what game it is.

Levelling: it's alright, nothing new. But I will say beside because of how much of a slog the battle system is I purposely used those extra XP to over level so I kill quicker, the game isn't that challenging if you fight monsters on the critical path but damn does every battle ever against rats take an age. If there was an easy mode I would take that in a heart beat. That's not good endorsement if the battle system.

I'm with you, despite all that shit and annoyances I still like the characters (especially Zeke) and general world to continue playing. It's a very like-hate game for me, I'm only having fun half the time and the other half I'm thinking I should just quit while I'm ahead.

Oct 26, 2017

I'm with you, despite all that shit and annoyances I still like the characters (especially Zeke) and general world to continue playing. It's a very like-hate game for me, I'm only having fun half the time and the other half I'm thinking I should just quit while I'm ahead.

Obviously I'll say keep going. How far through it are you?

(You also may like to hear that I think pretty much every one of your concerns is addressed in XB3)

Oct 27, 2017
One of the things I think people are starting to realize is that voice acting and fully-scripted/staged cutscenes RAMPANTLY lengthen games. PS1 RPGs tended to have extremely brisk cutscene pacing because you could read pretty quickly and mash through dialogue prompts. But in modern games where every cutscene is a fully-modeled, fully-animated PRODUCTION, scenes that took like a minute and a half to get through in the original FFVII are extended to 10-15 minute one-act plays.

I don't think there's really a solution. Some games WORK without voice acting. Some games can't. Making a game like FFVII Rebirth, for example, but every cutscene is a minute long, would feel like a weird disjointed fever dream.

moreso than it already does, i mean
Also stuff like world map zones and towns take much longer to traverse. Not necessarily because there's more things put in them, a lot of the time they're kinda spread out in big open areas and getting from point A to point B tends to be more time consuming. The 2D version of DQ11 has a smaller world map and more compact towns and so takes significantly less time to beat even though it's otherwise an exact replica of the 3D game, dialogue and all.

Apr 20, 2022
Obviously I'll say keep going. How far through it are you?

(You also may like to hear that I think pretty much every one of your concerns is addressed in XB3)
I arrived in Indol, about 30hrs in. Don't tell me how far I am percentage wise but does the story get better? Feels like I'm just going where the wind takes rather than I have to go here to do this important mission/event. Do I get more combat system additions, I have elemental bursts which deal huge damage.

Also I dunno if I'm missed something but is there a way to control what elements party uses? For example I use say fire and the next options are water or earth and Nia can use both how do get her to use water instead of getting ready to use earth. That has screwed over some combos I've tried to do because the AI won't pick the other combo tree.

Last edited:

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
I finished the A and B endings of NieR Replicant, but I got locked out of the C ending because I missed a weapon you were supposed to get from the story in the first half (one in the dream forest). Not happy about it. Didn't really like the game much anyway, you just run across the same boring field over and over and over again between the same like 3-4 locations. I'll be happy to never enter that awful scrap heap dungeon again, that's for sure.

PhoenixSFT

Oct 25, 2017
Superior, CO
Continuing my Trails playthrough, so I'm currently on Trails of Cold Steel IV on the Switch, and I'll probably throw in some Eiyuden Chronicle and Ys 9 to break it up.

Sieffre

Oct 27, 2017
United States
So I completed Wild Arms 3, though I abandoned my plans to 100% it because the 100 floor Abyss dungeon seemed far too tedious just doing the mandatory 10 or so floors. And knowing it could take like 3+ hours and you can't save during it... I definitely wouldn't have the patience to lose that much time if I died halfway through that and had to redo it all over again.

I still did most of the optional content, and had a blast with the game in general. It's definitely the most "wild west" feeling game of the series I've played so far (1-3), and I enjoyed the simple but sometimes difficult puzzles the dungeons had - I feel like many of the more recent JRPGs I've played either don't really have puzzles or they aren't too enjoyable, which is a shame because puzzles have always been something I really enjoy about JRPG dungeons.
The story was also pretty engaging, and I appreciated how the game kinda felt a bit like a shounen anime, but with a female main character. The characters themselves were all pretty lovable as well. I hear this is one of those games that has a bit of foreshadowing that's very apparent on a subsequent playthrough, but my backlog is far too large to even consider that any time soon (if ever).

It did have some issues though, like sometimes not even giving you any real hints on what to do next to proceed, though I mostly used a walkthrough with it. Also the movement controls were a little floaty and I found myself falling off edges in dungeons a lot (which thankfully doesn't do anything other put you back at the entrance of the room). It was especially annoying doing the millennium puzzles where you're mostly moving blocks around, and have to press X to grab them, but X is also to run/charge, and I found myself sometimes not standing quite close enough to the blocks and charging them instead which sent my character flying back over the edge, resetting the puzzle. It's pretty much the exact same movement system from the PS1 games, for better and worse, and I ended up finding it easier to just control my characters with the D-pad than the control stick most of the time.

I played the game on PS4 (I'm never attempting to play any PS2 classics on PS5), and it ran mostly fine though occasionally the game would have random micro freezes/stutters, and the audio sometimes got a bit choppy during some cutscenes where there were several characters on screen at once, so the emulation wasn't perfect but I never had crashes or anything (something I hear was an issue back when it first released on PS4 before getting patched).

Overall, I had a great time with the game and it's definitely entered my top 20 PS2 JRPGs. I hear the series went in a bit of a different direction after this game, but I'm interested in checking out Wild Arms 4 and 5 eventually, as well as Alter Code F, and I'm looking forward to see how Armed Fantasia turns out.
The Abyss dungeon is some bullshit. You saved yourself a headache by skipping it. It's not even fun. It's just completely boring and awful. Took me three days to get through it, and the only reason I managed to complete it was because I played it on PS5 and could use rest mode to pause the game until the next day. Think it was a total of 9 or 10 hours. Only way it'd take three hours is if you skip all the battles you can, but on the upper levels some of the enemies can drop some really good items that you want to farm, yet doing so increases how long it takes to get through. Really one of the most awful "bonus" dungeon designs I've ever played. Would have been tolerable if there were checkpoints you could leave and come back to, or save points or something.

Alter Code F is a remake of the first Wild Arms with a Wild Arms 3 coat of paint, but the English translation is really bad and clearly done by someone that didn't natively speak English. Thankfully not as bad as Wild Arms 2. I liked it well enough. 4 and 5 can be a bit divisive, but I really liked the changes to the combat, and the story and presentation feel more polished. Wild Arms 5 is my favorite in the series, and one of my top five PS2 JRPGs.

Oct 26, 2017
I arrived in Indol, about 30hrs in. Don't tell me how far I am percentage wise but does the story get better? Feels like I'm just going where the wind takes rather than I have to go here to do this important mission/event. Do I get more combat system additions, I have elemental bursts which deal huge damage.

Also I dunno if I'm missed something but is there a way to control what elements party uses? For example I use say fire and the next options are water or earth and Nia can use both how do get her to use water instead of getting ready to use earth. That has screwed over some combos I've tried to do because the AI won't pick the other combo tree.

Obviously the story getting "better" is a matter of opinion, but yes - I'd say so. It will have ups and downs but overall I think its going to be on an upward trend.

Combat systems - IIRC elemental burst is essentially the "main" one for dealing big damage numbers, but there are going to be additional systems and extras thrown in over the rest of the game that can give more variety to the moment to moment battling.

Elemental preference - sorry I actually don't remember. I think there's something you can do but it might just be "preference" for driver combos or blade combos or something like that. I think the AI shouldn't auto-use their specials either. You should have control over those using the ZL ZR buttons. It depends on which blade they currently have active and what the level of their special meter is though. Can't remember if theres a way to get them to change it during battle :/

Sorry thats not particularly helpful

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Dwaaaa… finished FFIX, got me tearing up a bit. These kind of stories always get me, FFVIII got me too. Really great ride. Probably IX=VIII>>VII for me.
The couple songs are both gonna get me for a while DX.
Now for a break before starting X… hmmm gotta decide what tho, Hack GU, Persona 5R and Saga Frontiers are on the top tho. Could just do a story in frontiers first

GuitarGuruu

Oct 26, 2017
Beat the 3DS version of Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga the other day and that final boss was utter bullshit. Legit the fight lasted two hours lol, but from looking it up I was kinda underleveled at 32 and the boss I think is 40?

Wanted to play the series in order but I see the only one not on 3DS or remade is the second title so I may just skip that one and jump into Bowsers Inside Story.

Jisgsaw

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished Unicorn Overlord. I really didn't expect to like it that much, though in hindsight I regret a bit playing on the second highest difficulty instead of the highest, I never really was at any risk of losing.

Now to decide between Triangle Strategy and Eiyuden for my next jrpg...

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
Just finished Unicorn Overlord. I really didn't expect to like it that much, though in hindsight I regret a bit playing on the second highest difficulty instead of the highest, I never really was at any risk of losing.

Now to decide between Triangle Strategy and Eiyuden for my next jrpg...
My vote is Triangle Strategy. I LOVED that game!

I like it more than FF Tactics, but I would never say that publicly out of fear of retribution... 😆

Ramako

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
My vote is Triangle Strategy. I LOVED that game!

I'm only ~25 hours into into Eiyuden but I second this. Triangle Strategy is the better game. It also has a large variety of recruitable characters (30 - but I can't remember if you can get them all in one playthrough) and the story does a much better job of capturing that Game of Thones-style of political intrigue.

El meso

Oct 27, 2017
Im officially giving up on non jrpg/plataformer or metroidvania games...those are The only type of games that I actually have fun. (something tells me im not alone in this thread)

To celebrate the occasion ill replay DQXI on pc :)

Aneru

Mar 15, 2019
I just started a playthrough of Persona 3 Portable on the PSP. It's been on my play list for ages and I really want to see the Femc's story before I playthrough the remake.

Desma

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Almost to the end of Grandia II. Might finish it this week.

It's definitely not as good as the first one, but a pretty good jrpg still

PallasKitten

Jul 11, 2022
I finally finished Dragon Quest 7 (3DS version) yesterday after slowly making my way through it for 3-4 months. Took me about 78 hours total, doing some optional content here and there. I didn't bother with any of the post-game as I just kinda felt "done" with it already 10-15 hours before beating the final boss.

It's definitely my least favourite mainline Dragon Quest game, even more so than DQ1 and 2, which weren't amazing but at least they never felt like they outlived their welcome. Still a good game and I did enjoy my time with it, but the constant backtracking and lack of a strong, interesting (imho) narrative really made it feel like a bit of a slog at times. I liked the characters enough but they were also largely forgettable, I don't think I'm going to remember much about them years from now or look back on them fondly as I do some other DQ characters.

Only mainline DQ game I still have left to play is 8 (and 10 I guess, if that counts), which I've somehow have never gotten around to playing throughout all these years. I have much higher hopes that I'll enjoy that game a lot more.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really fond of the SNES versions of Dragon Quest 1 and 2. Out of all versions they look the best and they feel easier than the original NES versions. When (and if) Square decides to bring all classic DQ games to modern platforms, I hope they go with something like this for DQ 1+2.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
I'm thinking of FINALLY playing The World Ends With You.

I have an absolutely giant hole in my heart after finishing and adoring Rebirth. So I'm in desperate search of the rare "amazing GOTYAY contentender" that I somehow have not yet played.

It's either TWEWY or SMT Nocturne. But Nocturne feels like it could be a bit… heavy.

Should I go for it with TWEWY? Will be playing the original on my DS.

Radarscope1

Oct 29, 2017
I'm really fond of the SNES versions of Dragon Quest 1 and 2. Out of all versions they look the best and they feel easier than the original NES versions. When (and if) Square decides to bring all classic DQ games to modern platforms, I hope they go with something like this for DQ 1+2.
Same. I just played the SFC 1, 2 and 3 on my RG35XX handheld and had a swell time.
Theres also a pretty neat fan remake that recently came out.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LF5Gvz8WkiA

Looks stellar. Can RPG Maker games be played on any emulators or does it work best on a PC? I'd love to play this on a handheld.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Same. I just played the SFC 1, 2 and 3 on my RG35XX handheld and had a swell time.

Looks stellar. Can RPG Maker games be played on any emulators or does it work best on a PC? I'd love to play this on a handheld.
Think it was made in RPG Maker 2k3 so probably not much in the way of good options to play on mobile. A lot of the later versions have stuff like that built in I believe but not that one.

Thalanil

Fallen Guardian
Aug 24, 2023
I might try Persona 5 again, I tried it and bounced off a while ago but I want to give it another go. I felt it dragged a bit in certain places but I found the characters very charming(also the music was great!) and I want to get back into it.

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
Playing DQ1 on mobile, it's refreshing going back to basics

Maybe I'll check out that fan remake after finishing this

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Rebirth, and it's absolutely fantastic. Just finished the parade at Junon. 100%'d everything so far having a great time.

Timcanpies

Sep 17, 2020
Beat the 3DS version of Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga the other day and that final boss was utter bullshit. Legit the fight lasted two hours lol, but from looking it up I was kinda underleveled at 32 and the boss I think is 40?

Wanted to play the series in order but I see the only one not on 3DS or remade is the second title so I may just skip that one and jump into Bowsers Inside Story.
I'm a bit late but I recommend not doing this - the second one is the best one in my opinion!

DeadMoonKing

Nov 6, 2017
Been playing XC2 (made a little mini journal of it above).

Quests: theyre a sight improvement but still the same generic fetch quests. The exposition screen from quest givers is so boring I end up skipping everything and so the errands. The navigation compass is broken, I can't tell you the number if times I've got lost getting an area or NPC because the compass sent me the wrong way. Early in Gormot I couldn't find where to go for the fucking main quest because the marker took me to a dead end, I had to look up a guide and that's when I realised how shit it was.

Field skills: not that bad tbh but it's annoying some skills are locked behind blades I haven't gotten yet.

Battle system: I go into detail above but yeah it's terriblely paced. It's extremely basic due the first dozen hours and once you start unlocking more features like elements combos and burst combo things pick up. But it takes like 30+ hours to get there. That's easy too long no matter what game it is.

Levelling: it's alright, nothing new. But I will say beside because of how much of a slog the battle system is I purposely used those extra XP to over level so I kill quicker, the game isn't that challenging if you fight monsters on the critical path but damn does every battle ever against rats take an age. If there was an easy mode I would take that in a heart beat. That's not good endorsement if the battle system.

Your experiences thus far really mirrored mine when I was playing this a few months back.
My spoiler free thoughts in brief are here, if you're interested.
What really redeemed the game for me was the ending.
I also enjoyed combat more towards the end, but mainly for the spectacle and less for anything inherently fun about the mechanics.

---

So I finally started Triangle Strategy and am really enjoying it!

I haven't had (well, made honestly) a ton of time to play, but I'm at chapter 4 and am really liking the setting and characters.
I also like the character art and how not everyone is super anime-hot. I also appreciate that everyone seems to be wearing period-appropriate clothing.

While I am liking the HD-2D, everything has this brown tinge to it that I can't say I'm all that keen on.

Combat is fun and I like how everyone has a well-defined role.
Hopefully, I can't get into a groove and really sink my teeth into it!

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
Uhhh, not sure if Odin Sphere counts but I'm having fun with that rn

I played Gwyn's campaign last year, backlogged the game and just came back to it. Cornelius was alright but Mercedes, goddamn she is busted

Clippy

Feb 11, 2022
Doing my first replay since the PS1 days.

y3ktcsX.png

There is much about this game that I didn't appreciate as a kid. I'm surprised how well it holds up, it's such a well-paced and dense experience.