• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mr Jones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I work with a dude who was born in '94.

The PSX and N64 came out a couple years after he was born. His first game experience that he remembers was the PS2.

So while we were working, I mentioned to him that I'm excited to get a game called Xenocrisis for my ancient Sega Genesis. And his response was "What is a Genesis?"

Not only had he never played one, he had never heard of one. What?

You know you are old when...

Mitch

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seems pretty normal to me. My dad got me into gaming 25 years ago. He doesn't know what a Sega Genesis is.

Deleted member 7883

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was born in '94. I have never, ever heard of a Genesis growing up, outside of my own interest in retro gaming. No commercials, references in pop culture (outside of that one line in Juicy by Biggie) or any of that. If he wasn't that heavy into games as a kid I can see how he hadn't have heard of it.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I was born in '94. I have never, ever heard of a Genesis growing up, outside of my own interest in retro gaming. No commercials, references in pop culture (outside of that one line in Juicy by Biggie) or any of that. If he wasn't that heavy into games as a kid I can see how he hadn't have heard of it.
Had you heard about Nintendon't and Blast Processing?

Bgamer90

Oct 27, 2017
The Genesis was pretty much the only relevant Sega console in North America, and the system was pretty much phased out after 1996 or so.

Not surprising that a person in their early-mid 20s doesn't know what a Sega Genesis is. The Sonic the Hedgehog brand is more popular than the console the original game series was on.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean he's only gonna know if he cares about games a lot. That was years before his time so I can see why he wouldn't know about it.

Deleted member 7883

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Had you heard about Nintendon't and Blast Processing?
Not while growing up. No Genesis references outside of Juicy lol. Around 2006 or 2007 I really started getting into the history of Video Games and had most likely known about the Genesis and it's marketing by that point. The Dreamcast was my Sega console.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
You should have asked if he knows the Megadrive, like mnz wrote.
That's the name of the console ;)
Family might come from abroad.

OP
OP
Mr Jones

Mr Jones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe he's not that into video games. Everyone had a PS2.

He is a gamer. That's what lead to me talking about the Genesis. He's a PC gamer, and plays games like Silk Road and DOTA.

He never played a Sonic game that wasn't 3D. I showed him a video of Sonic 2. He was like "holy crap it looks like retro Mario!"'

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
I don't either. Is that some form of the mega drive?

Also, most people my age(20) only played these games on an emulator, if that. Since sega is out of the console business, be ready for hear that falling in obscurity more and more as the years go by. I know some people who associate sonic more with nintendo consoles than with sega.

OP
OP
Mr Jones

Mr Jones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Also, most people my age(20) only played these games on an emulator, if that. Since sega is out of business, be ready for hear that falling in obscurity more and more as the years go by. I know some people who associate sonic more with nintendo consoles than with sega.

Sega is NOT out of business. ;_;

Oct 25, 2017
This makes no sense. They are the same thing.
That's the joke.

Also, most people my age(20) only played these games on an emulator, if that. Since sega is out of business, be ready for hear that falling in obscurity more and more as the years go by. I know some people who associate sonic more with nintendo consoles than with sega.
SEGA is out of business?? Someone should make a thread

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He is a gamer. That's what lead to me talking about the Genesis. He's a PC gamer, and plays games like Silk Road and DOTA.

He never played a Sonic game that wasn't 3D. I showed him a video of Sonic 2. He was like "holy crap it looks like retro Mario!"'
I mean... Someone that plays videogames is not necessarily an expert about the subject.

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The Genesis was pretty much the only relevant Sega console in North America, and the system was pretty much phased out after 1996 or so.

Not surprising that a person in their early-mid 20s doesn't know what a Sega Genesis is. The Sonic the Hedgehog brand is more popular than the console the original game series was on.

Dreamcast got a lot of press in North America too. As did the Game Gear. And even the Saturn.

RossC

Oct 27, 2017
Always feel sorry for folk that had to deal with the inferior Sega console name and SNES colours. Must have been awful.

OP
OP
Mr Jones

Mr Jones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm bringing a Genesis game and Neo Geo game to work for him to see today. The Neo game is gonna blow his mind.

QuinchoOsito

Oct 10, 2018
*Hank Hill voice* Do I look like I know what a Sega Genesis is?

But yeah even if this makes sense logically it's still a shame.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019

The PSX and N64 came out a couple years after he was born. His first game experience that he remembers was the PS2.

So while we were working, I mentioned to him that I'm excited to get a game called Xenocrisis for my ancient Sega Genesis. And his response was "What is a Genesis?"

"It's called Mega Drive."

Deleted member 35204

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
I'm a 92er and my mind was so focused on Nintendo that I didn't even know what Sega was until the Dreamcast
Edit: actually that's not true because i knew about Sonic and such but might have been as well as be true.

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
Always feel sorry for folk that had to deal with the inferior Sega console name and SNES colours. Must have been awful.

Im with you on the SNES, but the Genesis is a better name than Mega Drive. I'll add to that the great PC Engine, which was so small and cool looking to the monstrosity that was the Turbografx.

Bgamer90

Oct 27, 2017
Dreamcast got a lot of press in North America too. As did the Game Gear. And even the Saturn.

Dreamcast definitely had a lot of hype. I loved it but the PS2 came and crushed it.

Game Gear got a decent amount of attention. I knew a few classmates in elementary school that had one. My cousin had one too.

Saturn just came and went. Seemed like everything about it was packed in late 1995 to 1996 and then everyone just moved on to the PS1 and N64. I personally only knew one person (classmate) with a Saturn, and he rarely played it.

Bgamer90

Oct 27, 2017

I'll never understand the love for the Super Famicom design. The North American SNES' more minimal style with fewer colors and no curves holds up far better in my opinion.

Bgamer90

Oct 27, 2017
US Snes is not minimalist, it's rough and coarse... has no elegance at all.
Same with the colors that two tone purple is.... ugh.

US SNES is more minimal than the PAL SNES/Super Famicom in my opinion. PAL model would stick out far more in any modern A/V setup than the US. Modern consoles are pretty much boxy designs with sharp lines/edges now, and the North American SNES fits with that. The multiple shades of gray on the PAL SNES makes the multicolored face button logo stick out like a sore thumb. The system would also look better if it had a power button instead of a switch due to the style of the system's reset button.

Again, just my opinion. :)

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland

Ask him what a TurboGrafx-16 is.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
What the hell do you mean you've never heard of a Sega Genesis???

6937.jpg