EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I don't see why your mind is so blown.

I don't think I knew what a Megadrive was a friend got on when I was maybe 7 or 8. I'm 9 years older than him.

It was a different time.

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
The Genesis was pretty much the only relevant Sega console in North America, and the system was pretty much phased out after 1996 or so.

Not surprising that a person in their early-mid 20s doesn't know what a Sega Genesis is. The Sonic the Hedgehog brand is more popular than the console the original game series was on.

I'm not going to let you talk about the Dreamcast that way

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I mean people your age probably don't know of every 70s and early 80s console. This is the same context for him. By the time he could walk and talk the Genesis was dead. Why would he know about it unless he were a hardcore enthusiast who sought that knowledge out?

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Dear God I feel old.

That means there's a lot of people in the hobby that have never seen the greatest marketing campaign ever.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
Kinda shocked he hasn't at least heard of it through the recently released Genesis Mini. But sadly, most modern gamers just play Fornite all day and aren't interested in the heritage of the medium.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
If it's someone who doesn't really follow video games why would they? I'm 28 (born in 1991) and know plenty of people who never really played anything before PS1/N64.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Probably because he's too young to remember it. By the time he was 5 or so the console would've been dead for years.

So to answer your question: Very, very easily.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
I have a friend of a similar age that likes video games but didn't know who Ryu, Ken, or Chun Li by name. (he does know them by image... I believe)

number8888

Oct 27, 2017
ten_thousand.png

Gol

Nov 4, 2017
I was born in 93.
Id never heard of an N64 until about 2007.
Although in the UK EVERYONE had a PS1 instead. That's my defence anyway

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
Dreamcast definitely had a lot of hype. I loved it but the PS2 came and crushed it.

Game Gear got a decent amount of attention. I knew a few classmates in elementary school that had one. My cousin had one too.

Saturn just came and went. Seemed like everything about it was packed in late 1995 to 1996 and then everyone just moved on to the PS1 and N64. I personally only knew one person (classmate) with a Saturn, and he rarely played it.
Game Gear got lots of publicity with Nintendo sending a cease and desist to Sega for that Dog commercial.

Dreamcast got a ton as well. People may have been waiting for a PS2 but everyone knew what a Dreamcast was.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
He was 7 when Sega exited the console business, it is perfectly normal for him to not be exposed to Sega old consoles.
Growing up he was more likely to come in contact with mass market consoles like PlayStation home consoles or Nintendo handheld consoles than a dying breed like Sega consoles.

It's like pretending younger generations should know Neo Geo arcade games because Neo Geo MVS was the most widespread arcade board in the world when in reality the chance to find arcade cabinets in the wild decreased exponentially after the '80s and '90s (at least in the west).

Deleted member 388

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis
When I was dead broke, man, I couldn't picture this

Imagine hearing that and shrugging in confusion.

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
now that I'm almost 40, I'm sorta over being surprised that young people haven't heard of a thing. How many of us know about pop culture shit our parents with through?

brambles13

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, the SNES was the superior console, I don't blame him.

:p

I hope you are joking but modern videogame forums are largely pro-SNES and anti-Sega. Younger gamers are probably getting the impression that the SNES is filled to top 10 all-time games whereas the Genesis has no classics that hold up today. Lists like IGN's top 100 don't help here. Personally I feel almost the exact reverse where the Genesis should be the console and library getting all the praise today but that is for another thread.
The Genesis was pretty much the only relevant Sega console in North America, and the system was pretty much phased out after 1996 or so.

Not surprising that a person in their early-mid 20s doesn't know what a Sega Genesis is. The Sonic the Hedgehog brand is more popular than the console the original game series was on.
Genesis and SNES were getting a trickle of new games up to 98 while greatest hits reprints of major games were happening until roughly 98-99 as well. By 97 of course both systems were largely replaced in popularity by the N64/Playstation but they weren't exactly dead.

OP
OP
Mr Jones

Mr Jones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
now that I'm almost 40, I'm sorta over being surprised that young people haven't heard of a thing. How many of us know about pop culture shit our parents with through?

Pop culture stuff from my parents era is Motown. Funk music. The AMC Gremlin. The Exorcist. Star Wars. Black Panthers. Flower Power.

I'm gonna be a boomer about this. These kids need to know their history. Every gamer should have played with a Genesis and a Super Nintendo. EVERY DAMN ONE.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not surprised that someone under 30 hasn't heard of the Sega Genesis. Look at Resetera. The knowledge and respect for classic Sega here overall is a joke, and this is a major enthusiast site.

I disagree with people saying the Game Gear didn't get attention in North America. It had big TV commercials and was pretty mainstream, just not at Game Boy levels. It was the Master System and Saturn that were more for the niche, hardcore crowd.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
I had never heard of Genesis until few years ago. I did own a Mega Drive though, in fact it was the first legit console I ever owned.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Excluding systems released by Nintendo, Sega, and NEC/Hudson, I wonder how many people here can name half a dozen videogame systems released in the 80's or earlier.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I work with a dude who was born in '94.

The PSX and N64 came out a couple years after he was born. His first game experience that he remembers was the PS2.

So while we were working, I mentioned to him that I'm excited to get a game called Xenocrisis for my ancient Sega Genesis. And his response was "What is a Genesis?"

Not only had he never played one, he had never heard of one. What?

You know you are old when...
I was born in 93. Most people only start really playing games properly when they're 6 or 8, and by that time Gamecube and PS2 were coming out. My first exposure were weird pc games and then when i was 6 a friend had an N64. The first time I played an SNES I said "Wow this feels old." and that was in 2000. You have to be born in the late 80s to find SEGA Genesis relevant unless you had one because your parents or older brother had one.
Excluding systems released by Nintendo, Sega, and NEC/Hudson, I wonder how many people here can name half a dozen videogame systems released in the 80's or earlier.
I think most people that come here are dedicated enough to name a lot of the weird NeoGeos, Atari "lynx" and other shit. It's just the general gamers from the 90s probably don't.
Not to mention people who say "I don't play Single Player games."

Khrno

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
You had asked me in 1992, I would have said the same exact thing, with a smirk in my face while playing Super Mario Kart

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Not everyone plays games, and many younger people don't give a rip about what came before.

Look at Terry in Smash.

balohna

Nov 1, 2017
I was a kid during the 16 bit era, and maybe it's because I literally couldn't read yet but everyone I knew just called it "Sega" (even after we could read the big "GENESIS" on the console and game boxes). Born in 88.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
I'm 26 and my boyfriend is 27;
my first console was a Master System when I was 4, and while he got his first console way later (a PS1) he learned about older Nintendo systems as he got to go to neighbor and friend's houses to play SNES and N64..

but when we started going out 3 years ago and I started talking about SEGA systems, everything that I was saying was completely alien for him.. he never ever seen a Genesis in person nor heard of many of the iconic games of the system;

I think its natural if you really only care about a handful of franchises, but still weirds me out :p

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was a kid during the 16 bit era, and maybe it's because I literally couldn't read yet but everyone I knew just called it "Sega" (even after we could read the big "GENESIS" on the console and game boxes). Born in 88.
That was common. You're in a region where the Master System didn't sell well and was discontinued when you were three or four years old.

balohna

Nov 1, 2017
That was common. You're in a region where the Master System didn't sell well and was discontinued when you were three or four years old.
Yeah, I guess my point is I know people that probably played Genesis but didn't know it was called that. Like my sister probably wouldn't know what Genesis is, but if I just called it "Sega" she would. We had one in the house, and she's older than me.

Moves

Oct 27, 2017
Born in 94 checking in... Genesis was my first gaming console before N64.

I rememember playing sonic, taz escape from mars, and ecco the dolphin.

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
My friend who had a Gameboy Color didn't understand me when I said that I had a regular Gameboy. He thought I was making it up.

In fact, beyond that, none of my friends had a video game console, so no one knew anything about Sega nor Nintendo. It wasn't until video game forums that I got to talk about video games with other people.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
The age explains it but also the fact that the person OP is talking about is mainly into PC games. Ask him about Football Manager and Total War, both published by SEGA. SEGA makes most of its money from PC games these days anyway. I have a friend who was probably born around the same time, about to get married, and I would not be surprised if he didn't know SEGA ever made consoles.

Now I'm trying to frame this in reference to my own age though. I was born in '86 and my first gaming experiences were with an NES and Genesis in 1990. Obviously I knew what an Atari was because it was ubiquitous in its day (and my brother owned one before I was born), but I had no idea there was a SEGA console before the Genesis (the Master System) until probably sometime in the mid 90's when my brother mentioned it off-hand when I saw a picture one, and I've still never played one. I've still never played an Atari, or really any pre-NES consoles. I'm vaguely aware that Colecovision, Intellivision, Commodore 64, and ZX Spectrum were consoles and computers that existed in the 70's and 80's but I've never actually seen or touched any of them. And I'm someone who follows video games pretty closely.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
I was born in 90 and I knew of al this stuff. My first system was the Master System. Played tons of NES at friends. It's weird what 4 years can do.