FarZa17

Oct 27, 2017
If first owned by my own money, it was Twisted Metal 2 PC CD-ROM back in 1999..

If physical game+console, my father bought me a Game Boy with Tetris, Super Mario Land and MultiGames cartridge (Tons of games in one, like Simpsons, Judge Dredd, etc.) in 1995..

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sonic 2 on Game Gear, good lord what a way to start.

hqdefault.jpg

Coiler

Oct 31, 2017
Can't say Ive owned anythying from C64/Amiga era(all pirated back then) the first real game I owned has to be Gran Turismo.

Puweyxil

Oct 28, 2017
Super Mario Bros. 3, although I actually co-owned it with my sister's boyfriend as we split the cost of it.

Xavillin

Oct 25, 2017
My own money? Kingdom Hearts II on PS2.

First co-owned (shared half the cost) game was with my cousin, for Pokémon Emerald.

Oct 29, 2017
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island. It pretty much shaped my taste in gaming for my early childhood and became one of my favorite games of all time, I still replay it from time to time and find it to be nearly perfect.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Castlevania II was the first I remember. My dad pulled a total "oh, and one more thing..." on my birthday. I can still picture that glorious box art. Been a fan of the series ever since.

StormEagle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
First game I owned would be the 3 in 1 cartridge with Super Mario Bros., Tetris and World Cup from the NES Super Set. Best NES bundle.
First game I bought myself new and full priced was Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island. I was so hyped for that game. Loved it then and still love it today.

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
I'm almost certain it was Super Mario Bros. 3. I had two or three NES games to start with, but I only remember SMB3 out of that first batch.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
Super Mario Land Christmas 1996.

Though my family did have a computer with Duke Nukem on it before.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
Well, we owned a number of games shared in the family, but the first game I can recall that was just mine was Super Mario Land (and Tetris).

HulkieD

Oct 27, 2017
Pac-Man for 2600. I know, I know. We owned more 2600 games but that was the first one that I remember playing (and liking to the point that the much better NES port seemed very "off" to me).

Not long after we got our first NES and the rest is history...

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if I got an extra game immediately with my Game Boy but Tetris was definitely the first either way although there is a possibility that I had a second game on that very same day, probably Super Mario Land. We had some family computers and consoles before that but the Game Boy was the first that was mine completely.

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017
I think it was Super Mario Land 2: Six Golden Coins on the Game Boy.
That's some distant past, I'm having trouble remembering :D

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
What was the first thing you got?

That was it. I received it for me birthday.

First I bought myself might have been Metroid used for the NES. That might have been later, and I just think it was first because of it being on NES. I want to see the first game I really remember buying myself was Illusion of Gaia for the SNES. I remember I had a pocket full of birthday money and there was some video games show on TV where they showed it and reviewed it. Shit was mind blowing looking to me. I went right to my parents and told them I wanted it. My Dad asked me if I was sure, and I remember my mom saying "well, he knows how to pronounce it correctly, so he seems serious." We drove the hour to Best Buy and my brother and I played the shit out of it. I also rocked the fuck out of the tshirt that game with it for a long time.

I remember skipping school one day to play it. I was at the part where you are in a cave and have to look for the wind blowing through Will's hair. I couldn't figure it out. Spent the whole skip day running through that fucking cave. Literally right as my brother and sisters were getting home from school, I figured it out.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
That was it. I received it for me birthday.

First I bought myself might have been Metroid used for the NES. That might have been later, and I just think it was first because of it being on NES. I want to see the first game I really remember buying myself was Illusion of Gaia for the SNES. I remember I had a pocket full of birthday money and there was some video games show on TV where they showed it and reviewed it. Shit was mind blowing looking to me. I went right to my parents and told them I wanted it. My Dad asked me if I was sure, and I remember my mom saying "well, he knows how to pronounce it correctly, so he seems serious." We drove the hour to Best Buy and my brother and I played the shit out of it. I also rocked the fuck out of the tshirt that game with it for a long time.

I remember skipping school one day to play it. I was at the part where you are in a cave and have to look for the wind blowing through Will's hair. I couldn't figure it out. Spent the whole skip day running through that fucking cave. Literally right as my brother and sisters were getting home from school, I figured it out.
Oh I thought you said, your dad pulled a "one more thing", so I was wondering what came before (assuming it wasn't game related).

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
Super Mario World, as it came with my first console, the SNES.

The first game I bought with my own money was a $95 copy of The Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse. I'd rented it (at least once, but probably more) from a local mom and pop video store, and then asked them to order me in a copy.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Oh I thought you said, your dad pulled a "one more thing", so I was wondering what came before (assuming it wasn't game related).

Oh yeah. I had opened the rest of my presents when he pulled it out. It wasn't even wrapped, which NEVER happens. Birthdays are a big deal in my family, and I don't think I have ever received another non-wrapped present. I'm guessing it was just some last minute thing he saw on sale and grabbed that day or something. He isn't one to pass up a sale. Which is funny, that last minute random video game grab is the only present I remember.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Super Mario Sunshine. You'd think I'd love it and be all nostalgic about it, but I absolutely LOATHE the game. Shitty and frustrating levels designs don't mesh well with kids. The game was unnecessarily saccharine and spooky for a Mario game, too.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
Maybe Dragon Quest? I already had the NES because of my brothers but I asked my parents to subscribe to Nintendo Power for the free Dragon Quest promo.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I am kind of embarrassed because original Nintendo wasn't in India back then, (hell it still is barely present) so all I had was cheap knockout NES and its games, so don't think that counts.

First legitimate purchase was this; Damn EA.
need-for-speed-ii-se_1.png

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
My uncle gave me a few games. I remember getting Street Fighter II, Super Mario Bros 3, Desert Strike: Return to the Gulf, Mortal Kombat and maybe others but I don't remember.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
I got the original Gameboy with Tetris (bundled) and Power Rangers the Movie for Christmas. I must have been 7 or 8.

Darkpyro2

Oct 27, 2017
Pokemon Yellow!

My grandmother had this weird phase where she bought a bunch of nintendo consoles for herself, including a few gameboys and a Nintendo Gamecube. She mostly played puzzle games. She thought her grandkids might like in on the action, and bought me a silver GBA and gave me the copy of Pokemon Yellow that she hadnt seemed to enjoy.

1000 Needles

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Mario/Duck Hunt for NES, I think. Came home from my grandma's cabin one summer to the NES being set up.

Donkey Kong Country 2 on SNES was first I remember buying with my own money though. I got in trouble, because I was told to open my first bank account with it instead.

Last edited:

TesservcT

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Probably megaman or Bomberman on the gamegear. But maybe even before that, jazz the jack rabbit and epic pinball on dos.

jazz-jackrabbit_9.gif

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

zoobzone

Nov 2, 2017
Sega Saturn: Guardian Heroes
PC: Warcraft 2
Gameboy: Pokemon Blue

I don't actually remember which one of those consoles I got first, but yeah those were the games.

Oct 26, 2017
Super Mario Bros Deluxe for the GameBoy Color

Not exactly my favorite game but I'll always cherish it for introducing me to gaming and also being one of the few games that me and my cousins would play together. We eventually unlocked Super Mario Bros: The Lost Levels but, man, were those impossible. I don't think any of us ever beat them. We found the first Super Mario Bros already challenging, let alone Super Mario Bros: The Lost Levels

250px-SMBDX_Boxart.PNG

gameboy-color-konsole-clear-atomic-purple.jpg

BigMack

Oct 27, 2017
The Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt cart that came with my NES in 1988. I was 4 and it took us a week to figure out how to get Luigi to work. The 2nd controller was still in the box and hadn't ever been plugged up.