Oct 30, 2017
Final Fantasy Tactics, multiple times until I got it for my birthday. Renting games in those days was pretty good compared to the generation before it. You could rent the game a full week or more later and just continue the game on your memory card instead of begging Mom to let you rent Chrono Trigger consecutively so that you could beat it.

thezboson

Oct 27, 2017
I am not sure, but I think the last time was late 80s or early 90s. No clue what game though. It could have been Clu Clu Land for NES.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I rent stuff all the time, only buy day one when the game is bonkers, like GoW.

Currently renting Shadow of War.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
viewtiful joe 2 circa 2004... as far as i can remember

RIP in pepperonies blockbuster. you were my only friend

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
Resident Evil: Code Veronica, Zombie Revenge, Quake III Arena, and Soul Calibur, when I rented Dreamcast for a couple of weeks in 2000.

The local library has a selection of games to loan, but I've never taken advantage of it.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Whew, what a question. I rented to so many NES, SNES, PSX, and N64 games but really slowed down after that as I started purchasing most of my games as well as started working at EB Games for a few years, back in the days when we could just borrow most of what we wanted from the stores.

The last game I distinctly remember renting was Custom Robo, so that might have been it.

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
I currently have a copy of Super Mario Maker 2 I haven't launched. Too busy with the highest rated game of the year, FF14 Shadowbringers!

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I don't remember renting a single video game in my life, not even digital. The most I've done on that front was browse the game section of Blockbuster and mess with a free trial of Game Tap. I was against renting because I like to play my games without limitations, and I never know when I'll pick it up again if I beat it or put it down for a while.

Now, I had a friend who rented a game called "Gauntlet Legends" for the N64. I remember going into the Blockbuster with him and we went to his house and played it with another kid while on a sleepover. It was super fun. That's my only memory of renting video games.

Last edited:

Zoidn

Dec 23, 2018
I'm pretty sure that was Final Fantasy XIII. Only played it for like 30 minutes and lost interest…

Oct 27, 2017
Assassin's Creed 3 for Wii U. I think I still have the disc somewhere from when LoveFilm stopped doing the rent by post thing here in the uk.

BossGuts

Oct 28, 2017
Metal Gear Rising: Revengance. Loved it so much that I bought the PC version when it came out a bit later after the console versions.

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
I...can't recall ever renting a video game. I did work at GS where we were allowed to borrow games for a few days? Last thing I checked out was until dawn

Deleted member 46433

Aug 5, 2018
I've rented hundreds of games since 2010 from gamefly. Its my primary way of playing games. My last 2 rentals were Resident Evil 2 Remake and Nioh for PS4 Pro.

Due to low income I rarely buy games.

Flon

Is Here to Kill Chaos
Oct 27, 2017
I believe it was BioShock Remastered, Metro Redux and Star Ocean V.

However, at the end of 2017 my local game shop stopped doing rentals, so those will probably be the last games.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I've never rented a game, but that being said, I'm not really one to trade in games either.
The only game I ever traded in was the Bionicle PS2 game, because I wanted to get that and Gregory Horror Show as a 2 for £30 deal from GAME, but the latter wasn't in stock, so I got Deus Ex instead, and they said I could swap it if I want the following week, once they get a copy in for me.
I ended up finishing Bionicle 100% over a weekend, so I swapped that instead lol.

I prefer to own and keep physical games, in all honesty.

Last edited:

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
It might have been Melee. I didn't actually own the game until a couple years after the game's release. I rented it a bunch until then.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Have got Sunken City and Crash Team Racing rented right now.

I use Boomerang in the UK.

Tanuki-Go

One Winged Slayer
Jul 21, 2018
US
The Last of Us, original PS3 release from the local Family Video. Returned it, never really went back and rented anything else. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Woylie

May 9, 2018
Wish I remembered my last Hollywood Video rental, but my last Gamefly rental before I gave it up was FE Echoes. Honestly, great game to rent since I had no interest in the DLC or replaying but was really glad I played through it one time.

Elebits (early Wii game) is the last game I distinctly remember renting, so it might be that. Why did all the rental stores close, btw? It actually seems like a decent idea to be able to play a game briefly for $5 instead of buying it for $60... though I guess most of them relied on movie rentals, which he internet obliterated.