• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BossLackey

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Kansas City, MO
More than any impending game release in the past I can think of, I'm incredibly curious as to what Street Fighter VI will look like. I'm not even sure what I'm hoping for. Well, I'm hoping they somehow give us hand drawn sprites a la SFIII, but that's a pipe dream. The game is going to be 3D for sure, and might (read probably) use the RE engine.

Will they go "realistic"? Will they copy Arc's notes and go for that 2D/3D look? Will it be a refined version of IV and V direction?

On one hand, I adore SFs general aesthetic and pure stylization, but I wonder where they can go from SFV in the 3D space.

What are you hoping for? What do you think is the most likely direction?

Jamrock User

Jan 24, 2018
If it's RE engine I'd like it looking like Monster Hunter Rise. That game is incredibly beautiful. That on a 2D plane would be something else. If it's UE I'd like them keeping it similar to sfv with better models.

I'm mad hype for SFVI

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Probably stylized realism along the lines of Tekken. More realistic than SFV, but not to the point of the RE games or DMC5. Monster Hunter World & Rise are actually good examples of this. I just hope that they dial back the objectification of the game's women, as it got especially bad in SFV. But keep the muscles, not many games are willing to let their ladies have muscles.

As for the engine, I expect the fighting game team to follow the Monster Hunter team in transitioning to the RE Engine.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
maxresdefault.jpg

GattsuSama

Mar 12, 2020
THE RE engine seems to do visuals that are realistic but not too realistic if they want. Like DMC5 looks realistic but at the same time it does not.

I'd be down with SF6 looking similar to DMC5

Lube Man

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 18, 2021
I want a hyper realistic Street Fighter. That or full cell-shaded Street Fighter.

The current watercolor artstyle is too boring IMO.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
THE RE engine seems to do visuals that are realistic but not too realistic if they want. Like DMC5 looks realistic but at the same time it does not.

I'd be down with SF6 looking similar to DMC5
Monster Hunter Rise and Ghosts n' Goblins Rebirth have proven that RE Engine is plenty capable of games that aren't going for a photo realistic aesthetic.

I am guessing/assuming they're going to double down on the watercolor aesthetic of SFV and make everything seem more fluid. SF is all about action, makes sense to emphasize that.

OP
OP
BossLackey

BossLackey

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I am guessing/assuming they're going to double down on the watercolor aesthetic of SFV and make everything seem more fluid. SF is all about action, makes sense to emphasize that.

I think this is the most likely outcome. I actually really like the say SFV looks and think a higher fidelity version of that (with some unique alterations) would be awesome. However, I do think there's a possibility that they say "fuck it" and go a completely different direction with it.

I just need one screen shot.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Monster Hunter Rise and Ghosts n' Goblins Rebirth have proven that RE Engine is plenty capable of games that aren't going for a photo realistic aesthetic.

I think this is the most likely outcome. I actually really like the say SFV looks and think a higher fidelity version of that (with some unique alterations) would be awesome. However, I do think there's a possibility that they say "fuck it" and go a completely different direction with it.

I just need one screen shot.
I'm pretty sure they only went with SFV's art style because the prototype they were working on didn't work out & they needed to play it safe with an art style closer to SFIV. Now that Capcom has much more money to work with & Ono is no longer at the company, I wouldn't be surprised if they try to do a bigger departure from SFIV & SFV artistically without completely abandoning SF's anime roots.

Sep 7, 2020
I think the look will be closer to SF5 than the closer to photorealism of the RE engine. I am starting to get more excited about the potential of SF6 after these dev updates to SF5, they really seem to be turning the future of Capcom fighters back into awesome days. Show me that last character, I have a feeling its from either SNK or some crossover with another company.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
However it looks they BETTER pay more attention to making the back grounds awesome too. That shit goes a long way.

Mat-triX

Oct 27, 2017
I want it to look like 5 but with more human proportions (I.E. Hands that are normal size, etc.).

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They'll no doubt use the RE engine so I think it'll look very different from SF5 which I think is good tbh, I don't see them being able to keep refining the current style after 5 without looking samey.

Friender

Sep 27, 2020
I'm not a fan of SFV's art style, so I selfishly hope they drastically change it for 6. Any rumors on when we may hear something about the next installment?

OP
OP
BossLackey

BossLackey

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I'm not a fan of SFV's art style, so I selfishly hope they drastically change it for 6. Any rumors on when we may hear something about the next installment?

Capcom got hacked and things leaked back in Nov 2020. There was a "team" mechanic of some kind that was not well received internally or externally. Ono was demoted and left Capcom, and they changed direction. That plus COVID has really protracted the development timeline. I haven't heard a single thing about the aesthetic of the game. Rumor is that it will release Q3 2022.

Charismagik

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully anything other than realistic. Those shots of a prototype realistic sf5 that floated around looked awful

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
I hope it looks very similar to SFV but with MUCH higher textures and better backgrounds.

psilocybe

Oct 27, 2017
I would like a style that is more anime, like the Alpha series.

Street Fighter in the style of Guilty Gear would be so good.

But it will an iteration of SFV anyway.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
So long as it has rock solid 60 FPS game play, has buttery smooth rollback netcode, and cross play between Xbox and PlayStation, it can look like SFIII Third Strike for all I care.

Actually, that would be pretty damn cool if they could make it look like a modern take on Third Strike...

I mean it's not like they'll let the story go past there amirite?

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I'm hoping it looks like 5 with better fiber details.

I like how 5 looks, save for the chunky playdoh aspect that fine fibers has. Everyone's hair looks like shit because of it.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
We know they were prototyping a more realistic look for SF5 before the current artstyle, so maybe they'll try that again and see if it works this time around? Tbh I'm fine with keeping it similar to SFV, just make the hair more realistic instead of looking like toothpaste and add some more texture and definition to the characters outlines, sometimes they look too rough.
Edit: Lol basically what the post above me said.

SunshinePuppies

One Winged Slayer
Nov 14, 2020
Probably stylized realism along the lines of Tekken. More realistic than SFV, but not to the point of the RE games or DMC5. Monster Hunter World & Rise are actually good examples of this. I just hope that they dial back the objectification of the game's women, as it got especially bad in SFV. But keep the muscles, not many games are willing to let their ladies have muscles.

As for the engine, I expect the fighting game team to follow the Monster Hunter team in transitioning to the RE Engine.

I hope they don't go for more realism personally. SF to me is a more stylized affair. While I don't think it will look ugly, I think a big reason why I enjoy the fluidity of the animation is because the more "cartoony" (stylized?) artstyle lends itself to that. That said, I wouldn't mind more realism as far as how hair and cloth physics are handled.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
In a perfect world I'd like to see them copy ArcSys in the cel shading department, but I'd me happy with them using the RE Engine and add semi shading that makes the color pop a bit more.

Just no realistic aesthetic. Doesn't really work for SF.

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
I hope they lean more on the realistic or stylized side instead of the in between they have now, I'm not a big fan of IV/V's aesthetic. Sprites would be the dream but that's not happening.

Friender

Sep 27, 2020
Capcom got hacked and things leaked back in Nov 2020. There was a "team" mechanic of some kind that was not well received internally or externally. Ono was demoted and left Capcom, and they changed direction. That plus COVID has really protracted the development timeline. I haven't heard a single thing about the aesthetic of the game. Rumor is that it will release Q3 2022.
Thank you for this!