• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What's your ideal Newcomer-to-Full Roster percentage for Street Fighter VI?

• 0%

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • 1-10%

Votes: 22 11.2%
  • 11-20%

Votes: 41 20.8%
  • 21-30%

Votes: 46 23.4%
  • 30+%

Votes: 85 43.1%

• Total voters
OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I need the whole cast of champion edition at least though I would prefer everyone from super Street fighter 2

Then you could start adding those people I'll never use.

Otherwise I'm not buying. I learned my lesson with 5
I mean, the likes of Dee Jay & T. Hawk aren't really that popular. Hell, we could probably get by without Blanka & E. Honda, but that's just me. That plus Bison is now canonically dead, so he likely won't return.

Oct 26, 2017
Wait.

You despise newcomers polluting the roster, but you want some of the new blood from SFIV & SFV to return? I don't get it.

thatsthejoke.gif

Me, I'd like to see a roster that's a mix between SF5 and SF3, if it's indeed set after. You can drop some characters to make room for new ones. No need for Mika, Karin or Birdie now that they had their shot. Put in Honda and Fei-Long instead of, like, Vega and Balrog. Make Yun and Yang an actual tag team and put them in there. Keep Rashid and Menat because they rock, and have Menat actually play a role in the story. And try your damned best to actually keep Bison out, then return him as a what-if DLC character. Same with Ken, actually. Sean or Mel can take his slot.

Hot Ryu and a Chun-Li styled after Michelle Yeoh on the front cover.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
I think it would be quite interesting if they attempted this.
Street Fighter 6 really does need to do something like this tbh. It's getting tiring having Smash be the only FG series where I know my main will make it in. And why would I buy a 60$ product with story modes, a variety of characters and great gameplay if my main didn't make it in!

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I mean, the likes of Dee Jay & T. Hawk aren't really that popular. Hell, we could probably get by without Blanka & E. Honda, but that's just me. That plus Bison is now canonically dead, so he likely won't return.
I like Blanka and E Honda.
Blanka was the first character I ever used in a Street fighter game. Guile is my main, I still can't believe I purchased 5 with out them and Sagat being in there. It's was SF3 all over again to me. Bad experience.

Oh yeah....I need Fei Long in this next game.

Oct 25, 2017
1/3rd to half the roster. In a roster of, say, 22, about 9 or 10 should be new to the series (with at least half being canon characters like Mel and Chris). Oh btw, post-3S by like 10 years pls.
I need the whole cast of champion edition at least though I would prefer everyone from super Street fighter 2

Then you could start adding those people I'll never use.

Otherwise I'm not buying. I learned my lesson with 5
I really hope they don't waste 12 slots on old ass characters that have been either written into a wall or devoid of any personality. If you want to play CE, it came out 27 years ago, it's on like every system now.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
1/3rd to half the roster. In a roster of, say, 22, about 9 or 10 should be new to the series (with at least half being canon characters like Mel and Chris). Oh btw, post-3S by like 10 years pls.

I really hope they don't waste 12 slots on old ass characters that have been either written into a wall or devoid of any personality. If you want to play CE, it came out 27 years ago, it's on like every system now.
"written into a wall"
It's a fighting game first, story comes second.

I hope they utilize 12 slots for characters people are familiar with and maybe the game will no longer be a huge sales dissapointment.

Typical fuck the guys and girls that paved the way bullshit.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I like the balance that SFV has ended up having. Though I wouldn't be against even more newcomers.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
"written into a wall"
It's a fighting game first, story comes second.

I hope they utilize 12 slots for characters people are familiar with and maybe the game will no longer be a huge sales dissapointment.

SFV underperformed due to a lack of content at launch.

fhqwhgads

Oct 28, 2017
More new characters are always good, plus relying on old blood gets really boring fast because very rarely do the characters actually change in playstyle or character, they usually end up being the exact same in every game which gets lame. FANG, Rashid, Kolin and G are all straight up some of my fav street fighter characters and are miles better than the lame old guard. Plus the rare cases of SFV changing up a return character significantly are all great, there's no reason not to give an old character a major change.

Oct 25, 2017
SFV is praised for its roster. That was one of the few high points of the game at launch.
This isn't at all the case. I'm asking for progression. I don't want to play the same roster in every damn game. Like I said, I played and liked SFII, SFIII, SFV, and, to an extent, even SFIV. I want something different in every game.

Oct 25, 2017
Depends on the roster size we start out with.

16 characters? -> 25% new, 75% returning

If there's a bigger launch roster, you can have a higher ratio of new chars to old chars.

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
Wait.

You despise newcomers polluting the roster, but you want some of the new blood from SFIV & SFV to return? I don't get it.
Yeah a little confusing. I voted 0% as well, but that's because I genuinely hate the newcomers from V lol.

Well....other than Abigail and G. I always forget that Abigail and G exist when I think of newcomers, as I don't really think of them as newcomers for some reason, even though they definitely are....guess I voted dishonestly inadvertently :/.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Yeah a little confusing. I voted 0% as well, but that's because I genuinely hate the newcomers from V lol.

Well....other than Abigail and G. I always forget that Abigail and G exist when I think of newcomers, as I don't really think of them as newcomers for some reason, even though they definitely are....guess I voted dishonestly inadvertently :/.
You can change your vote.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
They'll never do it again, but I want a full SF3 style teardown and rebuild. Season 2 of SFV was fucking awesome.

Oct 26, 2017
As for the thing with mains, I feel that it's a pretty stupid thing to begin with. Characters change between games anyway and you may not like how they play the next time unless nothing really changes.

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
You can change your vote.
Did so. Most newcomers were awful in my opinion, particularly stuff like Ed, Laura, Necali, F.A.N.G., Menat, etc., but if we got more on the level of brilliance and charm that is G or Abi, then I suppose I'd be pretty interested. Still though, I want to see a proper sequel to Third Strike, and that would probably mean using that roster as a base of sorts and utilizing most of that cast, so that's what I'd prefer to see in the specificity of veterans returning. I think we've seen enough of the World Warriors man; I love em, but they're a bit played out.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Did so. Most newcomers were awful in my opinion, particularly stuff like Ed, Laura, Necali, F.A.N.G., Menat, etc., but if we got more on the level of brilliance and charm that is G or Abi, then I suppose I'd be pretty interested. Still though, I want to see a proper sequel to Third Strike, and that would probably mean using that roster as a base of sorts and utilizing most of that cast, so that's what I'd prefer to see in the specificity of veterans returning. I think we've seen enough of the World Warriors man; I love em, but they're a bit played out.
Mind if I ask what you have against Menat (& Rashid, if he's also amongst the newbies you hate)?

JusDoIt

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles

How you hate Laura? Do you hate water and air too?

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
As many newcomers as possible.

If you're going to bring characters back, then change them up in some unique way.

balohna

Nov 1, 2017
Crazy that SFIII dropped with almost all new comers. The late 90s were a hell of a time for fighting games.

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
Mind if I ask what you have against Menat (& Rashid, if he's also amongst the newbies you hate)?
Actually I like Rashid quite a lot, I just forgot about him lol. I know it'll just get me made fun of here and people will act like I'm a puritan, but I just don't like the over sexualization of an underage character. I'm not going to get into a debate here about whether she's sexualized or not, (I know a lot of people just try to vindicate her ridiculously scantily clad costumes and animations obviously made to titillate by saying she's a "dancer", but I simply don't buy that for one second considering some of her other "premium" costumes; have a look at that Darkstalkers Felicia one there, but I digress), but I find such things to be gross and distasteful. Filter that statement through the fact that I have a seven year old daughter if you will, but it's just my opinion. Thanks for asking though.

But no, Rashid is cool man, I just always seem to forget he exists for some reason :P.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Actually I like Rashid quite a lot, I just forgot about him lol. I know it'll just get me made fun of here and people will act like I'm a puritan, but I just don't like the over sexualization of an underage character. I'm not going to get into a debate here about whether she's sexualized or not, (I know a lot of people just try to vindicate her ridiculously scantily clad costumes and animations obviously made to titillate by saying she's a "dancer", but I simply don't buy that for one second considering some of her other "premium" costumes; have a look at that Darkstalkers Felicia one there, but I digress), but I find such things to be gross and distasteful. Filter that statement through the fact that I have a seven year old daughter if you will, but it's just my opinion. Thanks for asking though.

But no, Rashid is cool man, I just always seem to forget he exists for some reason :P.
I can completely understand you not being a fan of Menat's alternate costumes or some of the camera angles of her Critical Art, but her default costume is pretty damn tame. All the same, I respect your opinion. I mostly like Menat for her default design, unique play-style, & personality.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
If I was being fully honest I'd want almost entirely newcomers, but around 30% I think would be ideal.

Ninjimbo

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
50%!

What is it with all the SFVI threads lately? I feel like we won't see that game for like another 3 years.

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
I can completely understand you not being a fan of Menat's alternate costumes or some of the camera angles of her Critical Art, but her default costume is pretty damn tame. All the same, I respect your opinion. I mostly like Menat for her default design, unique play-style, & personality.
We'll just have to agree to disagree on how tame her outfit is for an underage character, but hey I can see your point on her play style. I like how unique her set ups can be and her potential for controlling space, and proper use of her V trigger 1 is still a spectacle to me. Here's hoping she's of age in the next game so Capcom wouldn't be objectifying a young girl with some of her costumes.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
We'll just have to agree to disagree on how tame her outfit is for an underage character, but hey I can see your point on her play style. I like how unique her set ups can be and her potential for controlling space, and proper use of her V trigger 1 is still a spectacle to me. Here's hoping she's of age in the next game so Capcom wouldn't be objectifying a young girl with some of her costumes.
That's fair enough. It's always nice to hear the thoughts of others, even if they differ from my own. Though if SFVI is after SFIII in the timeline, I'd imagine that Menat would be older.