• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Araujo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
MLB the Show 18

Waned to step out of my confort zone. Try something new. Play something i usually don't play. This is a big franchise, a big console exclusive, usually very well reviewd series... so i gave it a try.

It was full on misery.

The game is not a bad game, mind you. It's just that i never saw a game went from "it looks fine" to "i fucking hate playing this" so fast.

Just an anectode on how the worst game you can play does not need to be a bad game.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
I'm not saying it's a bad game; I am just very selective about the games I play, so I didn't play much this year.

Into the Breach.

Wasn't the kind of game I was hoping for -- I should have watched more gameplay. It ended up being a game of chess over and over with no satisfying progression system.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Northgard. It's not terrible but gets repetitive and boring pretty fast.

This would be in my most disappointing list, after all the recommendations. It's a neat little rts game, but it lacks depth. It's nowhere near the most worst games I played this years. But it was my biggest disappointment after Jurassic World: Evolution.

I don't think I played terrible games. State of Decay 2 is the one that qualifies the most for me. I tried it for the multiplayer, but it was completely broken sometimes and conceptually not my thing.

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
For me it's RDR2 by far. Before people start attacking me, obviously I'm only buying games after doing my research. I play loads of games every year but they are always at least "good" since there are so many releases these days and not much time.

RDR2 for me was a huge disappointment due to the controls. It made my play-through not fun at all. It wasn't unbearable by any means but by the end I realised I didn't really enjoy it. Playing it right after Spider-man and AC Odyssey didn't help either.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
yes sure.. but the thread is called:
What's the absolute worst game of 2018 you played?

absolute worst.. like.. people are saying GOW, RDR 2 and games like that..

What's so hard to understand?

People usually don't spend money on a game unless they have a fairly good idea they'll enjoy it. So it makes total sense that you don't see complete and nonfunctional garbage mentioned here. Most years, I don't play any crap games at all. In fact, it's pretty rare that I get suckered into buying a total fucking dud.

This year, Red Dead Redemption 2 is a notable exception. I really, really wish I hadn't bought it.

abrasivemurk

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
For me it's RDR2 by far. Before people start attacking me, obviously I'm only buying games after doing my research. I play loads of games every year but they are always at least "good" since there are so many releases these days and not much time.

RDR2 for me was a huge disappointment due to the controls. It made my play-through not fun at all. It wasn't unbearable by any means but by the end I realised I didn't really enjoy it. Playing it right after Spider-man and AC Odyssey didn't help either.
How was Spiderman?

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Definitely RDR2. It wasn't offensively bad or anything, but there's too much great stuff out there to waste time on 100-hour-long 7/10s.

Pretty vistas though.

Oct 25, 2017
DBFZ was the only one I regretted buying. It's not the worst thing ever, but I didn't play anything that was really awful this year.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Octopath is the one that sticks out. Battle system is just too slow and felt like a regression of the Bravely series.

NoWayOut

Oct 27, 2017
RDR2. I don't think it's a bad game, it's just not for me. Everything feels like a chore and I find most of the game mechanics get in the way of gameplay. The most fun I had with it was playing poker. I regret buying it full price, but it's my fault for jumping in the hype train.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
I was disappointed in Sushi Striker. I thought it would be a weird, fun Japanese puzzle game. But the gameplay was totally lacking in depth and variety. Adding a story did nothing for me. Should have been a much more focused and smaller project. That hurt, I was really hoping this would be a gem.

Next most disappointing game was God of War.
IN MY OPINION
For the most part I didn't like the tone, pacing, characters, boss fights, level design and especially the incremental gear upgrade/loot system. Kratos and GoW had to be reimagined, and they didn't do bad at all here (obviously), but I really wish the game still had that epic sense of momentum and adventure that the previous games had. They're aping this cinematic, gritty prestige TV show vibe too hard and it didn't work.
IN MY OPINION

I'd say Octopath Traveler was just about as disappointing as God of War.

That being said, Octopath and God of War were both like 7/10 for me so I'm not shitting on them for anyone out there who has their feelings hurt.

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
Celeste

Only game I've ever refunded on Steam. I know it's not a "bad" game but all talk about it then it just wasn't enjoyable in any aspect.

Deleted member 2595

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
2. Red Dead Redemption 2 - I fell off this game hard in Chapter 4. I endured it that long until I just admitted to myself I wasn't enjoying it (and I loved the first game). It is just too laborious for me. In my view, they made the wrong choices in terms of what to put animation priorities on. I'm ok with suspension of disbelief. I don't need to see my character pick up and rifle through enemies or go through drawers slowly. Or spend 5 minutes riding back to an objective. It was death by a thousand cuts for me with this game but I finally threw in the towel.
Totally get why you fell off it, but did you get past Chapter 4 in the end?

Chapter 5 and 6 mix things up in a completely crazy way and elevate the game to an incredible high.

They really fucked the pacing by making chapters 2, 3 and 4 pretty much the same thing on repeat, I totally get why you'd get fatigued.

violent

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You'll find more people agreeing with me that's it's easily the best game of 2018 than easily the worst.

Yet more people agreeing does absolutely nothing to make that opinion closer to fact. If a million people thought GoW was game of the year and one person thought it was Agony, all one million and one opinions are equally factual.

traillaitor

Jun 10, 2018
Haven't played that many games this year, and even fewer bad ones and I hate to just name a 'half decent' game as "the absolute worst" just for the sake of controversy...

...but Far Cry 5 was the worst I played this year, largely due to the hype it created and what it actually could have been. I was hugely disappointed by this, especially after the whole build up to it was SO exciting. Little interest in New Dawn and cautious about the franchise going forward.

ZoSo006

Oct 25, 2017
Winnipeg
Let's go pokemon Evee & Far Cry 5. Both were co op experiences that were awful with how incredibly sterile and boring Pokemon was due to the difficulty being non existent in co op and Far Cry turning into a generic slog that didn't improve 10 hours in.

Thankfully we switched games to Monster Hunter World for Far Cry and Smash Ultimate from Pokemon which have been amazing for co op play this year.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
I can't say I bought anything this year that I didn't enjoy. Mega Man 11 is probably the "worst" 2018 game I've played to completion, and I liked it quite a bit.

(However, it may end up being Red Dead 2 - ironically the game I was most looking forward to this year. I fell off of it in Ch. 2 and haven't played it in over a month, but a lot of that was because of other games that were coming out. It is telling that I haven't been in any rush to get back to it, though.)

staedtler

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Frostpunk is a game I didn't like too much which is quite disappointing as I was really hyped for it.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Lol, some of you people on here

I was joking man. Just taking the piss out of people who selected the most celebrated game of the year as the worst thing they've played in all of 2018.

yes sure.. but the thread is called:
What's the absolute worst game of 2018 you played?

absolute worst.. like.. people are saying GOW, RDR 2 and games like that..

I mean, if you've only played two games that came out in 2018 then I could see why God of War or RDR2 would be the worst of the bunch.

Oct 27, 2017
It took 5 posts before someone said God of War is their worst game of 2018. I mean did you only played that game in the entire year? Jesus Christ, Era!
Hollow Knight
Spider Man
Celeste
Red Dead 2
God of War
Forza Horizon 4
Tropical Freeze
Mario Tennis
Destiny Forsaken
Tetris Effect

Your irrational reaction to someone else's opinion should make you feel embarrassed.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This Is the Police 2 is a game made entirely out of someone's complete inability to read the room
I bought This is the Police 1 because I really liked the premise, but just couldn't make myself to finish the game. Most days looked pretty much the same, the game had some annoying restrictions (like not being able to ignore the mob completely) and the investigation puzzles with the tiny slides were godawful.

The sequel looks so bad on paper (especially turn based battles with no saving) that I won't bother to play it even when it's super cheap.

Aftermath

Oct 27, 2017
Umm not many really so Capcom vs Marvel Infinite I suppose was a let down I know it was last years game but I am lttp, i got it cheap and I believed it would be patched and missing charchters would come as dlc

Blindy

Nov 16, 2017
Didn't play too many games this year but if I had to pick something that came out this year, Life is Strange: Before the Storm Episodes 2 and 3 and the epilogue. They were admittedly better than episode 1 but that isn't saying much. Nowhere near as good as Life is Strange Season 1, I still found Chloe to be insufferable to having more of her in your face was terrible. Rachel was pretty damn bad too.

I would have to think for games that didn't come out in 2018.

EDIT: So they came back late 2017, did not know that. So this would be my pick I think.

Deleted member 11822

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
RDR2.

Terrible pacing
Terrible gameplay

Absolutely the most overrated game of the year.

Octopathus a close second. I finished the game, out of spite.

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017
Friend grabbed the CE of Fallout 76. I tried it out for a hot minute. It was easily that.

I kinda wanted to give him money to recoop the cost.

Evan

Oct 27, 2017
I cant think of a bad game, but definitely a game I was disappointed it.
  1. BLOPs4 - Multiplayer can be fun, but most of the time its unbalanced in any mode outside of deathmatch, and blackout was terrible.
  2. Forza Horizon 4 - I'm sure Ill go back to it over the Christmas break, but I felt like I was literally searching for things to do in that game. After you completed an event, you'd progress whatever category that race fell into, like cross country. Once you reached the next tier level, it would unlock a new set of races. Problem was you have to wait for their seasonal events to roll around to do them, and they may not even be the cross country tracks, leaving you unable too progress further into that set. Maybe I was doing something wrong (please tell me), but I felt like in past Horizons it would just keep throwing events at you, letting you run through the "campaign" at any pace you want. The online is a horrible mess as well.
  3. State of Decay 2 - I was really looking forward to this. It was going to be my summer game. I thought with how much I loved the first one this one is a no brainer. They somehow managed to not evolve their formula at all, at least in any significant way.

TheBored23

Aug 10, 2018
I'm picking about buying/playing games, so I don't end up not enjoying games often. The Crew 2 probably gets this title for me, but I actually like that game! Still, it's obviously flawed, lacking content even months after launch, and not near as good as the other 2018 games I've played.

Oct 26, 2017
It has to be Octopath Traveler to me. I haven't played too many new games this year. I'm still making my way through Hollow Knight, Life is Strange: Before the Storm, Spider-Man, Smash's World of Light, God of War, and Splatoon 2's DLC but, out of what I've played through this year, Octopath Traveler is so far the only game I put down and sold. It just became such a slog as I just couldn't care for the characters or the plot, whatever the overall plot was supposed to be. A shame because the game looked gorgeous, had a really good soundtrack, and I honestly really liked Bravely Default