• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
Off the bat: I've already beaten the Mass Effect trilogy and I really enjoyed it. The Mass Effect games are the only games that come to mind for me when I think about games that capture some of the qualities of Star Trek. Now, I'm looking for some recommendations.

Any game, on any system that has some mix of space exploration, crew building/managing, resource management, dialogue driven gameplay, etc. What, if any, are some good Star Trek like games?

Edit: a few months ago I bought Infinite Space for the DS because of it's Scifi setting and ship management aspects. Unfortunately, while it does have some good qualities, the game isn't very good.

Last edited:

falconhoof17

Jul 12, 2019
It's probably not exactly what you're after but I think FTL somewhat fits the bill in terms of managing a spacecraft

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Go play Andromeda.

Maybe Starcraft? Not a lot of games come to mind.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hm, if you liked Mass Effect, try KOTOR?
There's really not enough stuff like this

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I've not played it in a while but Star Trek Online at least used to be pretty good. It's f2p and there is some annoying things due to that but if you're wanting to just play casually you shouldn't have to buy much.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
I can't tell you what the best Star Trek like game is.

But I can tell you what I believe is the best Star Trek game ever made and that's, imo, Star Trek The Next Generation : A final unity.

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
I've always wanted a Star Trek themed Mass Effect.

Go on away missions, walk around various areas of the enterprise and talk to crewmates

Last edited:

Deleted member 29464

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
There isn't much so this one's a stretch but Stellaris can feel like a Star Trek strategy game, especially with the science ship exploration and seeing the events for the first time on your first game.

Muji

Banned
Jul 27, 2021
I think KOTOR will fit what you're looking for very good. Helps that they are some of the best rpgs out there and have some really good restoration mods for modern pcs and stuff.

If anyone knows of other games like OP's please do share

Secret Bambino

▲ Legend ▲
Mar 21, 2021
Maaaaaaybe Guardians of the Galaxy?
It's more of a linear action game with dialogue choices, rather than something like Mass Effect, but perhaps it could satisfy that sci-fi itch. Naturally, the game has a lot of snarky dialogue, just like any Marvel property.

The game didn't really satisfy my Mass Effect craving, but I still really enjoyed it.

I've always wanted a Star Wars themed Mass Effect.

Go on away missions, walk around various areas of the enterprise and talk to crewmates

That's pretty much KOTOR 1 & 2 😛

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
spore when you reach the space stage is a great star trek-like experience to me

literally all about exploring new planets, finding new alien lifeforms, etc.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
Star Trek Resurgence is coming out this year and looks more Star Trek than anything has since Abrams worked his magic on the franchise.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
FTL, kinda sorta. It's light, with more of an emphasis on the ship battles and upgrading than the occasional 1-page "there's a distress signal from a space station saying they've got giant alien spiders: render aid yes/no" sidequests. And the crew is all nameless roguelike characters.

But it's still fun, and especially your first few times through it can feel exciting and new. There's stuff to discover. Until you've played it enough that you just start skimming because you've read 'em all already.

Oct 25, 2017
There are some good Star Trek games but they are kind of old and I don't remember which are good

Someone mentioned Final Unity, I think I remember that being good.

Star Trek Online was fun too.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Honestly, the better the game, the less star trek qualities it has.

STO isn't bad if you take it for what it is. Dont hold me to that though.

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
I'd give The Outer Worlds a look. It has some of the qualities you're looking for, I think. Although it's totally different in tone and scope.

I also second the suggestion of trying Andromeda.

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
This actually hurt my feelings.

Largely true though, games are more like Star Trek movies then actual decent Star Trek as it doesn't lend itself super well to a video game format.

There are some older click adventure style ST games though that were interesting but not sure they would hold up well.

OneTrueJack

Aug 30, 2020
There's nothing quite like Mass Effect. There's nothing quite like Bioware. The game studio Spiders seems to be making an attempt for the throne...but they're not in the same league. Not even close.

So, IDK, play Andromeda maybe? Or wait a few years for Mass Effect 5.

Sorry :/

Deleted member 23475

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Outside of Mass Effect 1 (because I see 2 or 3 being more inspired by Star Wars than Trek) there isn't much.

Old Star Trek games will be your best choices here like:
-25th anniversary + Judgment rites
-A final Unity TNG
-Bridge Commander
-Elite force is excellent even if it's an FPS
-Star Trek Bridge crew from Ubisoft is excellent as well specially in VR.
-Armada 1 (2 is okay but 1 is better) is a great RTS in the Trek Universe with a decent story arc.
-Star Trek Invasion on PS1 if you like more the small fighter combat style in space (Made by people that did colony wars)
-Away Team is similar to Xcom in Star Trek, it's not perfect but it's decent.
-StarFleet command for ships and Starfleet academy or Klingon Academy ( with mods) for a great story and some fun ship battles.
-Star Trek Online is honestly very good, specially the ship part.
-Birth of the federation if you want economy management and stuff, it's not my cup of tea but it's still a fan favorite (similar to Star Wars rebellion back in the day)

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
Largely true though, games are more like Star Trek movies then actual decent Star Trek as it doesn't lend itself super well to a video game format.

There are some older click adventure style ST games though that were interesting but not sure they would hold up well.

Does Trek lend itself to action games? No, not generally. But to dialogue-heavy adventure games, absolutely.

Also I know OP banned Mass Effect discussion from this thread but really that's a franchise that at least attempted to marry the two - shooty shoot action (of which there is plenty in Trek) with an examination of various ethical and moral quandaries which is what most people associate Trek with.

I don't think it's impossible at all to combine action and sci-fi philosophizing because hell, Mass Effect got really damn close.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
I loved the TNG game on the Genesis called Echoes from the Past as a kid. There's a also a version for the SNES called Future's Past that got better reviews.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
This actually hurt my feelings.

If we ever get a good sci fi game were the only way to win is to litteraly invite all the bad guys to a conference room and talk it out, I'll eat my words.

Sadly as it is though, theyre all shooters/space combat. STO you can at least walk around and do some light crew stuff.

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
If we ever get a good sci fi game were the only way to win is to litteraly invite all the bad guys to a conference room and talk it out, I'll eat my words.

It's not impossible! A hallmark of a couple of the best RPGs ever made is that you basically talk the main villain to death.

Mr X

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia / US
FTL Faster Than Light
FTL mentioned? Mandatory posting:

91ioijDl4kqOdCT-YM4nPTtm6Ctojbw28w0BHrhK4Lg.jpg

Tater

Oct 30, 2017
DS9: The Fallen was pretty good as well. Action oriented,, but i remembered enjoying it.

If you have like 8 people who also want a Trek experience, Artemis Bridge Simulator is pretty fun. Each person has their own station, and you work together to keep the ship running.

The only thing is that Artemis doesn't really have diplomacy or away missions. There aren't any weird "stuck in an anomaly" scenarios, it's really all combat.

disparate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
tbh Mass Effect never really felt like Star Trek to me, like the series opens with an elite space marine becoming galactic black-ops.

Sliver

Oct 27, 2017
store.steampowered.com

CONSORTIUM on Steam

A murder mystery, on a plane, in the future. You are Consortium Bishop Six, a global peacekeeper in the year 2042. Play an active role in the ongoing narrative. Every choice counts.

Commodore64

Oct 25, 2017
There's a star trek mod for stellaris that's pretty spectacular. It's called ST:New horizons and it's available on the steam workshop. You can play as starfleet and have an entire event chain based on all the shows or play just about any species you've ever seen in a star trek show. You don't need DLC but it has proper integration so if you play as the ferengi it'll have megacorp dlc support.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Mass Effect and Guardians don't feel like Trek to me at all. They're more like the Expanse + Star Wars.

I want to be a small piece of a massive universe, not John Wayne in space.

Someone make a Lower Decks TRPG please.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I don't get the mass effect trek comparisons.