• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
One of my smaller/chill 2019 goals is to play through Metal Gear Solid, as it's a franchise I've always wanted to dive into but never have actually put the effort into doing. What's the best way of doing this?

I was about to pull the trigger on a PS4 Slim earlier but upon digging it doesn't seem like really any of the older MGS titles are available on it. I knew that 4 was completely out of the question, but is there a way that I could play through 1-3 and V on a PS4, and then pick up a cheap used PS3 for 4?

fucking Konami; where is my MGS Collection on current gen systems

_zoipi

One Winged Slayer
Nov 23, 2017
Madrid
Play it in cronologically release (MGS, MG2, MGS3 and MGS4) until MGS4. AC!D and portable ops are skippable. After MGS4 the series is a trainwreck and only redeemable things are the songs Heavens Divide, Sins of the Father and Quiet's theme.

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Get a cheap used PS3. Play 1 (PS Classic), then 2, 3 and Peace Walker (HD Collection) and, finally, Metal Gear Solid 4. Then you can play Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain on either the PS3 or the PS4.

Oct 28, 2017
Metal Gear Solid Legacy Collection - Playstation 3 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KTZELMY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_0qcqCb7X18MJX

At the moment, this is probably your best bet. You'll just need a ps3.

81RUeIjPdlL._SX342_.jpg

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
You can play everything on a PS3 if you want:
- PSX copy of MGS1
- 2 and 3 in the HD Collection
- PS3 copy of 4
- Peace Walker in the HD Collection
- PS3 versions of Ground Zeroes and MGSV

I'd recommend a current-gen (or PC) version of Ground Zeroes and V, though.

You can also do 2, 3, Peace Walker, GZ and V on an XB1 thanks to backwards compatibility, but that leaves you high and dry for 1 and 4.

OP
OP
PopsMaellard

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
So is there like genuinely no way to play 1-3 on a PS4? I suppose it doesn't matter if I have to buy a PS3 anyway to play 4, but I was going to cop the PS4 first and play some other exclusives around 1-3 and then cop a PS3 in a few months once I'm ready for 4. As much as this is a bad take, I don't see myself really using the PS3 for anything else once I've finished 4.

Edit: Legacy collection looks pretty good; does that include 4 or just 1-3?

GMM

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
1-4 can be played on a PS3, but I would recommend playing 2, 3 and Peace Walker on Xbox One if you have that console.

Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain is best played on PC, but the PS4 versions are totally fine.

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
Back in 2013 I played The Twin Snakes, then MGS2 and 3 on the HD Collection on PS3. I know a lot of fans have issues with The Twin Snakes but I still enjoyed it.

OP
OP
PopsMaellard

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Don't listen to the people shitting on MGSV, its an amazing and sublime game, although a very different experience than you'll find in 1-4.

I'm absolutely playing V, suuuuuuper excited about that despite some of the backlash I've heard since release.

1-4 can be played on a PS3, but I would recommend playing 2, 3 and Peace Walker on Xbox One if you have that console.

Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain is best played on PC, but the PS4 versions are totally fine.

Any particular reason to play those on Xbox? I have a One X and could for sure.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
So is there like genuinely no way to play 1-3 on a PS4? I suppose it doesn't matter if I have to buy a PS3 anyway to play 4, but I was going to cop the PS4 first and play some other exclusives around 1-3 and then cop a PS3 in a few months once I'm ready for 4. As much as this is a bad take, I don't see myself really using the PS3 for anything else once I've finished 4.

Edit: Legacy collection looks pretty good; does that include 4 or just 1-3?

Unfortunately not right now. You can't play PS1 Classics on a PS4, and there's no current-gen version of the HD Collection. Maybe one day, but as far as we know there's nothing in the works.

Yeah, the Legacy Collection includes 4. I think it's a download code for 1, a disc copy of the HD Collection for 2, 3 and Peace Walker, and another disc for 4.

Oct 28, 2017

Why split them up? All the mgs games minus 5 are in the legacy collection on PS3. OP just needs a PS3 and a copy of legacy and he's good to go.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
If you are dead set on playing the entire series, you are gonna need a PS3 no matter what. So I would just play through 1-4 on the PS3 and play through GZ and Phantom Pain on your X.

OP
OP
PopsMaellard

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Short answer, it has the best picture quality and performance of the console versions out there, the digital foundry video on it is pretty good:

Will peep, surprised I haven't stumbled across this before. Good to know.

If you are dead set on playing the entire series, you are gonna need a PS3 no matter what. So I would just play through 1-4 on the PS3 and play through GZ and Phantom Pain on your X.

This seems to be the way to go. Looks like I need to start digging around for a cheap PS3 to dive into this.

Vimes

Oct 25, 2017
As mentioned before, a PS3 and Legacy Collection is the way.

If you have even a small stomach for the old school, I highly recommend playing Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2 (the MSX games) before you start Metal Gear Solid. You can access them through the main menu of MGS3. MGS has several plot points that simply make no sense without having played MG2.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Metal Gear Solid Legacy Collection - Playstation 3 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KTZELMY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_0qcqCb7X18MJX

At the moment, this is probably your best bet. You'll just need a ps3.

81RUeIjPdlL._SX342_.jpg

PSA: THIS MAY BE POINTLESS TO BUY ANY MORE! MGS1 is a code so likely already used or expired on any copy you can find. MGS4 is dirt cheap at gamestop 3$ the MGS 2/3/Peace Walker collection (also had mg1/2 as part of MGS3) and buying MGS1 digital on ps3 is basically what you will have to do. Unless you have a way to confirm the codes are still valid do not buy this.

Oct 28, 2017
PSA: THIS MAY BE POINTLESS TO BUY ANY MORE! MGS1 is a code so likely already used or expired on any copy you can find. MGS4 is dirt cheap at gamestop 3$ the MGS 2/3/Peace Walker collection (also had mg1/2 as part of MGS3) and buying MGS1 digital on ps3 is basically what you will have to do. Unless you have a way to confirm the codes are still valid do not buy this.

Good idea. Thanks for pointing that out. Didn't realize that wasn't from amazon directly. Here's a brand new factory sealed copy on eBay for OP with voucher code.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/351266271031

OP
OP
PopsMaellard

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Good idea. Thanks for pointing that out. Didn't realize that wasn't from amazon directly. Here's a brand new factory sealed copy on eBay for OP with voucher code.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/351266271031

Thank you! I was just about to buy a used copy on Amazon and didn't even think about MGS1 being a code.

Nov 4, 2017
Best experience is probably MGS1 in an emulator, 2 & 3 on an Xbone, 4 on a PS3 then 5 on a current gen consoles or high end PC.

Easiest is probably just 1-4 on a PS3 (as others have said, you need a PS3 anyway), then 5 on a current gen console/PC.

abady-25

Oct 27, 2017
KONAMI should release the the collection again to the ps4
its waste that the full experience for MGS series is only in ps3
i hope SONY help KONAMI with that like what they did in castlevania games

RazzDCO

Oct 7, 2018
Buy the Legacy Collection and play all of those on the PS3. And a PS4 for GZ/PP. They hop around with prequels and sequels but ignore all of that and just play by release date.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Download MGS1 on PSN, get MGS HD Collection for 2, 3, & PW. Make sure it's the PS3 version. Play MGS1-3, then play MGS4. Watch Portable Ops cutscenes on Youtube, then jump into Peace Walker. MGS5's two parts should be played on XBone, PS4, or PC.

Alternatively, you can play MGS1, MGS2, MGS3, Portable Ops, and Peace Walker on PC emulators, but you get the worst version of PW that way, and dealing with DS3 drivers for PC in order to get analog controls for MGS2 and 3 is kind of a hassle unless you get a mayflash adapter. Also, Portable Ops lacks twin analog controls and trying to emulate it by mapping camera movement to a joystick feels off. Not to mention, playing the game above 25 FPs causes issues with leaning on walls.

Mekanos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 17, 2018
Back in 2013 I played The Twin Snakes, then MGS2 and 3 on the HD Collection on PS3. I know a lot of fans have issues with The Twin Snakes but I still enjoyed it.

As someone who played Twin Snakes first, I thought it was a pretty good game.

Then I played the PS1 version and it became my favorite game.

PSOreo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have the legacy collection for PS3; it's the best way to play through them. If the code is expired (I assume the copy with be secondhand) you can pick up MGS1 on PSN for relatively cheap.

Konami just give us a new Legacy collection for current gen. Its all I want from you now.

Schlauchkopf

Alt-account
Banned
Aug 20, 2018
You seem to know what to get already, so I'm just gonna add: The earlier games for PS1 and PS2 kinda expect you to read the manual beforehand, at least in regard to your controls and moves, so do that. The first game throws you into the action, already expecting you to know how to deal with enemies and stuff. They will Interrupt the game and tell you to press the action button to climb a latter but not some of the more elaborate actions. The first game *does* have something called VR Training which lets you face various challenges but it still doesn't really teach you much tbh.

ChewbieFR

Nov 3, 2018
Play 1 via the PS3 store, get the 2, 3 and Peace Walker via the PS3 or 360 collection, buy the 4 on PS3 and then play Ground Zero and Phantom Pain on whatever current platform. In this order. You'll see the one is still the best.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
I am kinda going through the same thing. I bought the 1st game and the HD collection on Ps3. I'm stuck on a boss in MGS1
Psycho Mantis. I know HOW to beat him, but it takes forever to get the fight started from the save point and he has so many different forms... it gets frustrating.
so progress has been slow... but the game definitely holds up.

nickfrancis86

Nov 10, 2017
If you like handheld then you could always play 1-3, PW , the Graphic Novel 'games', AC!Ds and Portable Ops all on the Vita and then you could play GZ and TPP on your X1X.

Jun 4, 2018
Every mainline title can be played on PS3. I recommend starting with MGS1 (1998) and playing in release order from there. Maybe revisit Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake, if you fall in love with the series. MGS3 HD includes these original MSX titles.

Metalix

Oct 28, 2017
As someone who played Twin Snakes first, I thought it was a pretty good game.

Then I played the PS1 version and it became my favorite game.

I did this but still preferred TTS, it's hardly an economocial option if OP is looking to play as many titles on the same system as possible, unfortunately.

Mekanos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 17, 2018
I am looking to get MGS HD Collection on Vita, does it include MGS1 as well? Or do you mean the PSX version? As far as I know, it is not available on the EU store :(

HD Collection on Vita only has MGS2 and MGS3. The console version has Peace Walker. MGS1 is separate and only on PSN.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017

immortal-joe

Oct 25, 2017
Vita provides a fantastic alternative way to play, especially for MGS 1, which scales beautifully on the screen.

RionaaM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There are PC ports of MGS1 and 2, though they require some tinkering to get them running in modern rigs. The former is a great port, removing the texture warping that was so annoying in the PS1 version. Unfortunately it's missing a very unique thing that happens during one of the boss fights, so if you want the complete experience it's better to play on PS1 or PS3, or even the GC remake (and even then, you won't see that thing unless you've fulfilled the necessary condition).

As for MGS2, the PC port is trash. If you can play it somewhere else, please do that.

As mentioned before, a PS3 and Legacy Collection is the way.

If you have even a small stomach for the old school, I highly recommend playing Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2 (the MSX games) before you start Metal Gear Solid. You can access them through the main menu of MGS3. MGS has several plot points that simply make no sense without having played MG2.
While this is true, MGS1 has a summary of the MSX titles accessible from the main menu, so you can read that instead.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whatever you end up doing do NOT play the MGS1 remake The Twin Snakes for GC. An inferior game to the original in almost every possible way.