Oct 29, 2017
Xbox One

PS1 emulator app for the first title
2/3 are both enhanced on Xbox BC

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
I did this last year and played them in release order until 4. The story wrapped up nicely and I didn't play the PSP games neither MGSV since it's incomplete. That's my recommendation. Play 1-4 and leave it at that.

Matty H

Oct 31, 2017
A few years ago, I bought a Vita to play MGS 1. It played great and brought back so many memories. Never played 2, so tried that on Vita and it was mind-blowing. I already knew a few spoilers but that game is bonkers and I liked it just as much as 1 (but 1 was revolutionary for its time).

Played a fair bit of 3 on Vita but I think it might be better to try another way.

Solaire

Oct 29, 2017
Do no waste your time playing Peace Walker. It is an exercise in tedium.
The gameplay and level design are so watered down we can't even call it a regression anymore. It is worse than the original MGS.
Very little challenge aside from the terrible boss fights. They have no personality and were designed for multiplayer.
Oh, yeah, there's grinding too. Fuck this game.

Bor Gullet

Oct 27, 2017
Do no waste your time playing Peace Walker. It is an exercise in tedium.
The gameplay and level design are so watered down we can't even call it a regression anymore. It is worse than the original MGS.
Very little challenge aside from the terrible boss fights. They have no personality and were designed for multiplayer.
Oh, yeah, there's grinding too. Fuck this game.

OP don't listen to this guy.

Peace Walker is fantastic and one of the best handheld games I've ever played. I'm still amazed at what Kojima and co were able to accomplish.

Aswitch

"This guy are sick"
Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
PS3 is your best bet for majority of the games 1-4. I kinda put it over Xbox One BC due to the PS3 control scheme utilizing the pressure sensitive controls vs the Xbox version where they kinda feel weird(for particular actions like chokeholding an enemy). For a newcomer though, you may not notice. 5 you'll want to play on PS4 or PC (even though it did release on PS3 as well). I omit xbox one because it doesn't perform as well compared to PS4 and i don't think an X patch will ever came out to support the higher capability at this point.

Nov 13, 2017
Everything but V is playable on PS3, so you may as well spring for that cheap PS3 now, and then pick up the HD Collection, and 4. Metal Gear 1 and 2 are on the 3 disc. Get MGS1 from PSN, play 2 and 3 and Peace Walker on the HD Collection, then play 4. Get a PS4, play Ground Zeroes and The Phantom Pain, and you're set.