Nov 4, 2017
I think DK could've been cheaper, but that's pretty much the only example I can think of here.

Most of the time Nintendo is actually one of the only major publishers that seems slightly resistent to fully indulging in shitty DLC and microtransactions. They're adopting it slower, and less than everyone else. They even tried to fight this on mobile with Super Mario Run's pricing, under incredible pressure to release it as a f2p game instead.

Nintendo rewards people who buy on day one, because the games don't drop in price much. I'm fine with that. I'd rather get it day one and support the developers.

Wii U ports in general may just end up being a special case, in that these were huge games that failed, on an entire system that failed. Under different management, this could've meant the closure of multiple studios, firings, and worse. Nintendo fired no one. DK getting a 2nd chance is a good thing. If you already purchased the game 4 years ago, you really don't need it instantly. If you didn't, it really is worth $60.

This isn't even speaking to the general devaluation of entire genres that Nintendo also resists. They're basically the only ones left even making big budget 2D platformers now, because it's devalued out of existence. But they are fighting that all by themselves, and I think it's ultimately a hugely positive thing for fans of those games. There literally are no other big publishers making them anymore. People were intent on criticizing the price of DK even when it launched the first time, simply for being 2D. Nevermind that it's a 10/10 game, and probably the best 2D platformer ever made.

31GhostsIV

Oct 26, 2017
I'm glad someone made this thread. I was contemplating DK for my Switch, as I've barely touched the bloody thing since finishing Mario Odyssey months ago. The only places that had it in stock here wanted £49.99 - that's more than I paid for God of War brand new day one, for a four year old game.

And yes, the pricing on the e-store is awful, especially compared to my PS4 where regular excellent sales are commonplace - meanwhile Nintendo might knock a couple of quid off the dregs of the eshop titles you've never heard of if you're lucky.

Naner

Oct 27, 2017
Destroying the US? Games have been 60 bucks in the US for ages. I kinda feel that games like Kirby and Donkey Kong would be $40 if it weren't for the cartridge costs.

Hammee

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
Because it was so hard to remaster the same game for a new console. I'm still going to buy it because I'm a sucker.

SgtCobra

Oct 25, 2017
It sucks but people keep vuying their games at those prices so who's to blame? Nintendo can keep pulling their bullshit because of the consumer spending.

It's not greedy. It's just Nintendo's philosophy as a company. They don't like doing constant price drops only a year after their games come out because they feel it de-values them and makes people think these games are disposable. Whether you agree with that sentiment is up to you, but there's no underlying evil here. Nintendo games retain their original price for years because Nintendo takes its craft seriously, and wants their work top-shelf at nearly all times.
This reads like satire.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Its the same in the UK. Other platform games are about £40 on release, Nintendo games are £50.

Who ever is saying that is speaking out their ass imo. There is nothing cost-effective about the Switch. Peripherals and games are both priced higher than usual. You want cheap option you go PC.
Depends where you buy them from. Tropical Freeze, Mario Tennis and Octopath Traveller are all £40 (~$54 at the moment) on Amazon, but will be £50 on the eshop or the high street. Online retailers and supermarkets massively undercut the high street and digital copies on the eshop in the UK, it's not like the US where it seems like there's a more strict adherence to RRP (but better loyalty schemes at the bigger retail chains).

Last edited:

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
This thread would be considerably smaller if we got rid of all the posts that were dressed-up variations of "But I don't want to pay that price!"

Nov 4, 2017
This reads like satire.
No it doesn't. Just google "Iwata devaluation." He gave a famous GDC speech on this exact subject in 2011. And they're basically the only major publisher that still employs multiple 60 year olds, and values their input in game design throughout their entire career instead of waves of large firing sprees after any failed game. You can shit on it and pretend this is all a joke, but it's actually spot on.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I love how they pull off the game on WIIU eshop to. Such dignity and self-respect.

SgtCobra

Oct 25, 2017
No it doesn't. Just google "Iwata devaluation." He gave a famous GDC speech on this exact subject in 2011. And they're basically the only major publisher that still employs multiple 60 year olds, and values their input in game design throughout their entire career. You can shit on it and pretend this is all a joke, but it's actually spot on.
It looks to me he's actually shitting on other devs by saying Nintendo takes their craft seriously because they don't do price drops as regularly. If I'm mistakes feel free to correct me.

But I guess I learned today that it's okay for Nintendo to keep the pricing of their games high because they value their "art". I will take a look at that presentation though, thanks.

Deleted member 9486

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No it doesn't. Just google "Iwata devaluation." He gave a famous GDC speech on this exact subject in 2011. And they're basically the only major publisher that still employs multiple 60 year olds, and values their input in game design throughout their entire career instead of waves of large firing sprees after any failed game. You can shit on it and pretend this is all a joke, but it's actually spot on.

You're very naive if you believe that's not just marketing speak as it's bad PR to say "we don't want to devalue our games as we want to maximize profit."

I mean I totally understand their reasoning from a business standpoint. I just don't care. As a capitalist myself I don't care about anything but buying everything as cheaply as I can without breaking any laws. While the motive of businesses is to make as much money as possible.

It just means I buy fewer of their games vs. cheaper games elsewhere, always sell after beating, buy used more than I do with other publishers games etc.

Nov 4, 2017
It looks to me he's actually shitting on other devs by saying Nintendo takes their craft seriously because they don't do price drops as regularly. If I'm mistakes feel free to correct me.

But I guess I learned today that it's okay for Nintendo to keep the pricing of their games high because they value their "art". I will take a look at that presentation though, thanks.
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-06-13-nintendo-president-iwata-defends-gdc-2011-speech

He acknowledged that criticism and offered some additional clarification. So you're not alone in thinking that was a possible interpretation of it, but he claims he didn't mean that.

You're very naive if you believe that's not just marketing speak as it's bad PR to say "we don't want to devalue our games as we want to maximize profit."

I mean I totally understand their reasoning from a business standpoint. I just don't care. As a capitalist myself I don't care about anything but buying everything as cheaply as I can without breaking any laws. While the motive of businesses is to make as much money as possible.

It just means I buy fewer of their games vs. cheaper games elsewhere, always sell after beating, buy used more than I do with other publishers games etc.

I think its easy to dismiss the point I'm trying to make as naive. No one is denying they're a business out for profit.

But it is also true that they have a unique culture that is different from most everyone else. I tried to point that out. If it's just profit like you say, Super Mario Run would not have been priced the way it was. Look into that, and their arguments for pricing it the way they did. They specifically stated why they went against the most profitable route at the time (f2p). They tried to change the expectations for pricing on mobile to try and help higher quality games retain their value, because they think splitting the game up like that negatively impacts the game design, and because they want to resist the general devaluation of software by conditioning consumers to only play free games.

Oct 25, 2017
Well I'm seeing this picture in an entirely different context now.

With that said, some aspects of their pricing are questionable. I've voiced my concerns then.

They absolutely deserve to be called out for pricing Tropical Freeze at $60.

But in general, I don't have an issue with their games maintaining their value on shelves. Dude really said "Who thinks Breath of the Wild is worth $60 14 months after it came out, when Horizon is like $20?"

Oct 27, 2017
Last I heard it just gives you a link to buy physical.

It might've just been Europe then. I'm still not sure why it was taken down in the US, when every other region still has it. I don't think it's because of the Switch version because this isn't the first time Nintendo's removed a retail game from the eShop (Nintendogs + Cats was taken down a few years ago too), and they would've taken the other Wii U games with Switch ports if that really was the case.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well I'm seeing this picture in an entirely different context now.

With that said, some aspects of their pricing are questionable. I've voiced my concerns then.

They absolutely deserve to be called out for pricing Tropical Freeze at $60.

But in general, I don't have an issue with their games maintaining their value on shelves. Dude really said "Who thinks Breath of the Wild is worth $60 14 months after it came out, when Horizon is like $20?"
Same. Pricing it higher than the original is bad, but games keeping their values is perfectly fine. If people don't want GaaS, MTX and terrible DLC practices, they should understand these evergreen titles keeping their value makes sense.

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because they can.

Nintendo arrogance is back once they taste a little bit of success again

dreamlongdead

Nov 5, 2017
It's the same as it's always been.

DKC: Tropical Freeze on Switch is the primary driver behind these threads, and people who actually want to play it should question why the price is such a concern. $60 is too much for the game that Era calls the GOAT 2D platformer?

The package here seems quite robust. This isn't some half-assed third-party port; it's a brand new high-quality game for most owners and potential buyers of Switch.

Thebeast!

Banned
Mar 18, 2018
Because they're greedy assholes you could get all the DMC games in one package first 3 rachet and clank games in one package but for Zelda you had to buy individually for $60 each on the wii u

SmittyWerbenManJensen

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Floater’s Cemetery
TF is one of the GOATs, but it really shouldn't be MORE EXPENSIVE than its original release. So weird. I will buy it when it is a bit cheaper. However, if you've never played it before, it is totally worth the 60 bucks

31GhostsIV

Oct 26, 2017
I was just browsing Amazon UK, and noticed the upcoming Street Fighter Anniversary collection is £28 on PS4 and XBO... and £44 on the Switch.

The message this sends to people such as myself with more than one gaming platform is... don't buy it on the Switch. Which is annoying, as I have SFV on the PS4 and was looking forward to playing some Street Fighter 2 on a Nintendo machine, just like I did back in the day.

Deleted member 5159

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
any solution for this besides not buying the games at full price? i very rarely do pay more than 40€ for a game, thats my sweet spot. but yeah, all items switch related are overpriced imo

Kane

Oct 28, 2017
I'm glad that people are finally talking about this. The price for Tropical Freeze is OUTRAGEOUS imo, and I hate that my favorite gaming company has become so greedy :(

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm glad someone made this thread. I was contemplating DK for my Switch, as I've barely touched the bloody thing since finishing Mario Odyssey months ago. The only places that had it in stock here wanted £49.99 - that's more than I paid for God of War brand new day one, for a four year old game.

And yes, the pricing on the e-store is awful, especially compared to my PS4 where regular excellent sales are commonplace - meanwhile Nintendo might knock a couple of quid off the dregs of the eshop titles you've never heard of if you're lucky.
Sales on the switch eshop have been MUCH BETTER than any sale I've seen for the wii u or 3ds. So I think Nintendo is catching on.

And yeah there are some good sales on PSN but only IF you have plus. They lock the discounts behind a pay wall which is really shitty.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad that people are finally talking about this. The price for Tropical Freeze is OUTRAGEOUS imo, and I hate that my favorite gaming company has become so greedy :(
Nintendo has always commanded a premium price for most of their main titles. You don't have to like their pricing practices, and yes they can occasionally be tone deaf when pricing their games (1-2 Switch being $50 is a go-to example) but there really isn't any underlying maliciousness here.

gordofredito

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
I agree with the part about games being more expensive in the rest of the world compared to the U.S. But the rest of your post is pretty disingenuous and kinda console warring, you compare an unreleased game with a placeholder price against a released game.
If you search, let's say, DKC:TF released today you get:
https://www.amazon.com.mx/Donkey-Ko...ie=UTF8&qid=1525450131&sr=8-5&keywords=Switch
See, the price is the same as GoW and if you search for more you can find more examples of it
Eh Latamel is a different kind of beast. A shitty one. The price at Amazon MX lowers a bit after release tho
okay but what about the Nintendo Store? The prices never go down. And they are $80 usd or more
19f30cd0ad2690d09f34ed9f3ba733c7.png

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
They charge that amount because people are willing to pay it.

The only time I've ever seen them cut the price of one of their games was when Other M bombed.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
Nintendo gonna Nintendo. Their IP's sell like hot cakes and they know it. They have always priced their games at the Highest games go at the time and they rarely if ever lower the price. the only reason some of their games went to $20 on Wii U is due to the system not selling well.

jrDev

Banned
Mar 2, 2018
Tropical freeze price is a joke. $10 more when ratchet and clank, crash nsane, lost laegacy, and Shadow of colossus remaster all were $40.
And DK is worth more than all those IPs combined and Nintendo knows it's IPs are strong.

If I want a Nintendo game, I know the price won't crater so there is no point in waiting for a sale. On the other hand, I always wait for Sony or MS sales (I waited to get HZD for $15 new last year and I will do the same for GOW), because they play the fastest to the bottom in price (like iOS). Come to think of it, each Nintendo game sale must bring more revenue per copy overtime than almost every publisher...

Last edited:

Phil Good

Apr 25, 2018
I wouldn't mind their sometimes greedy pricings if they actually invested that money into creative content and solid online infrastructures. Right now they're more like uncle Scrooge.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
It's the same as it's always been.

DKC: Tropical Freeze on Switch is the primary driver behind these threads, and people who actually want to play it should question why the price is such a concern. $60 is too much for the game that Era calls the GOAT 2D platformer?

The package here seems quite robust. This isn't some half-assed third-party port; it's a brand new high-quality game for most owners and potential buyers of Switch.
$60 is too much of a 1:1 port of a 4 year old wii u game that was originally $50 and eventually $20 on the wii u. I got ratchet and clank, essentially a new game for $40 at launch, and crash nsane at $40. It's unfair to compare to half assed third party ports when it's no different than those. Just because not a ton of people played it doesn't change that fact.

KratosEnergyDrink

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They always pull these stunts, what's worse is third party publishers catching onto it. (Charging $40 for games that are half the price or less than that on other consoles)

Late third party ports on Switch cost as much as the originals when they released, this is fully understandable.

If you want lower prices just wait some months.

First party Nintendo titles keep their prices, nothing new here.

Last edited:

KratosEnergyDrink

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Its funny how people here speak of "greed" but only want to pay 30-40$ for a game :D Reads like satire.

Especially in this times when most games are full of microtransactions. Nintendo is almost the last publisher who makes proper full games.

If you think the games are not worth the money don't buy them. Simple as that. Quality costs money.

Last edited:

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
And DK is worth more than all those IPs combined and Nintendo knows it's IPs are strong.

If I want a Nintendo game, I know the price won't crater so there is no point in waiting for a sale. On the other hand, I always wait for Sony or MS sales (I waited to get HZD for $15 new last year and I will do the same for GOW), because they play the fastest to the bottom in price (like iOS). Come to think of it, each Nintendo game sale must bring more revenue per copy overtime than almost every publisher...

I know this feeling all too well, I have way too many games and not enough time, atleast I don't feel like an idiot buying Nintendo games and not playing a ton at launch as the price drops 30% in 2 months.

Really takes some intense hype to get me to take the leap on most other publishers games at launch these days and that breaks my heart because you see these good games by talented devs just dive their prices off a cliff chasing each other to the bargin bin.

Then you hear about layoffs or closures because their game didn't meet profit expectations. It's to the point that consumers expect these drops and hold off buying until the inevitable sales and it just feeds the problem, not sure how one would even go about fixing this problem anymore.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Nintendo of America and Nintendo of Europe (and by extension Australia) would set prices independently of each other I'd imagine. Like that's the whole point of regional branches.

So it being a decent price here in Australia doesn't really have any correlation to what Nintendo of America decides.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
I think DK should be 40 max.Four year old remaster with a couple additions. Maybe it's just not for me since I plagued it on Wiiu, but it's bonkers to me that the game is $60. Otherwise I've been ok with prices on Switch - just not willing to play full price for any of these Wiiu ports.

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Kirby being $59.99 is why I didn't buy it.

Planet Robobot and Triple Deluxe were $39.99, no reason Switch Kirby couldn't be that price.

dreamlongdead

Nov 5, 2017
$60 is too much of a 1:1 port of a 4 year old wii u game that was originally $50 and eventually $20 on the wii u. I got ratchet and clank, essentially a new game for $40 at launch, and crash nsane at $40. It's unfair to compare to half assed third party ports when it's no different than those. Just because not a ton of people played it doesn't change that fact.

It is true that other publishers are more lenient with pricing, but price won't deter me from a re-release if it's actually worth buying. A $60 price for DKC: Tropical Freeze means that resale value will at least be high, but there is also a chance that the price will come down much sooner than typical Nintendo releases.

Look at all of the other subpar ports that released on Switch for $50 and $60. For those games, full price actually is a rip-off.

Oniletter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo is the apple of videogames. This is the thing brands strong as Nintendo can allow
It's the Disney/ Apple thing, yeah. If you offer something perceived as premium/desirable, something with that je ne sais quois, you get away with higher prices.

Only talking about myself here, but offering full priced ports/remasters with no strings attached ( like Modern Warfare remastered's lootbox/microtransaction controversy) ranks really, really low on my "things to get outraged by"-scale.
You don't have to buy each and every game day one, if you are not satisfied with the day one price of a title ( like I did for Kirby ).

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo gonna Nintendo. Their IP's sell like hot cakes and they know it. They have always priced their games at the Highest games go at the time and they rarely if ever lower the price. the only reason some of their games went to $20 on Wii U is due to the system not selling well.

And yet, Nintendo has several sub-$60 games on the Switch already.

Amaterasu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The game is worth $60. The reason it was never charged that is because the Wii U was a flop and you all know it. Not gonna be surprised at all when it beats the Wii U versions sales in the first weekend.