Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
If you have one, I suppose.

I dunno, I sound like....well I don't think I have an accent, I guess. Nobody has ever commented on my way of speaking. Guess I sound like your average American.

Zugma

Oct 27, 2017
Everyone has an accent. It may not always be worthy of conversation, but we all have them. That being said, mine is an unnoteworthy PNW accent.

The Argus

Oct 28, 2017
God knows. I guess American? Born and raised in Los Angeles. Mom has a thick Boston accent where my dad has a slight Southern Drawl, both of which pop up in home videos. Have now been living in NYC for 14 years.

I'm charming AF. That's all I know. That and I use "y'all" a lot.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Southern

Parents were from Birmingham, AL, lived in southeast GA my whole life.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
Southern/Kentucky accent. I got rid of it for a while, but as I've gotten older its coming back more.

It comes out more if I use certain language,

"I'll tell ya whut"
"Y'all need to hurry it up"
"Git on outta here!"
"Pull up 'dem britches."

Barzul

Oct 25, 2017
Well I'm Nigerian but I've lived in the US long enough to where I have a generic American accent but that goes out the window when I'm talking to other Nigerians or even in less formal settings where I'm more comfortable. Codeswitching I guess, at this point I don't know what my default accent is anymore.

Smurf

Oct 25, 2017
idk, but Americans used to tell me I had a "sexy accent' all the time back in the day

that stopped a few years ago tho, so not a sexy one anymore I guess

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
French, living in L.A.. Having a thick accent bothered me for many years, but eventually I figured it's just a part of who I am and as long as I'm making an effort, it's good enough.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Don't really have one anymore like I used to after moving to Florida and now being here for like 15 years but sometimes when I get mad or super energetic my friends and family say my New Yorker accent comes out

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I moved from Mexico to the South when I was a kid and ended up growing there. I neither have a Mexican accent nor a Southern one, I guess I just have a generic American accent.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of American accents, what do yall think about this? How accurate is that to you who live in the US?

I was born in South Carolina but I've lived all over the South so idk how mine is. It's also nasally so that's also something else lol.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Western American/Utahn? I remember reading something about Utahns pronouncing their T's as D's instead. I was picked on a lot of because of that.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
I never formally studied English and learned most of what I know through media. My accent fluctuates from posh British to Bostonian to whatever else depending on the word or phrase I'm saying.

So all of them.

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
Regular Canadian with a very slight hint of French. What Americans would call general American.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
Speaking of American accents, what do yall think about this? How accurate is that to you who live in the US?

I was born in South Carolina but I've lived all over the South so idk how mine is. It's also nasally so that's also something else lol.

i'm from vermont and i will say sure like shore but only sometimes. however i never knew anyone who called each other bud, maybe they will do that up closer to canada

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
Considering I'm Chilean, I'd be surprised if any of my fellow spanish-speakers can *actually* understand me at all :P

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
I have the default American accent. I've always lived in the midwest but we moved a lot when I was a kid so I never stayed in one state long enough for any of its linguisitic quirks to stick (and any that might have I consciously excised). We finally settled in Minnesota, and despite living here for most of my life the telltale traits of the local accent still sound ridiculous to me.

I was basically raised on TV, so I just talk like the people on American TV do.

Last edited:

Deleted member 13015

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Apparently Californians have an accent, or some sort of unique flow to our sentences.

I just think its the valley girl accent; "We talk, like, this kindaaa".

Rei no Otaku

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Cranston RI
I have a thick Rhode Island accent. I'm from Cranston which is where the RI accent is so thick other parts of RI make fun of us. It's basically a cross between a Boston and NY accent. We drop R's like a Boston accent, but our vowels sound different.

Kapryov

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Australian with a hint of generic American. It's been mistaken for Canadian a couple of times by other Australians.

I spent some time in the US, that accent is infectious and hard to shake off. It's been gradually fading though that process has taken years.

Eila

Oct 27, 2017
When I speak in English I have a mexican accent. It's incredibly hard to get rid of without training. And it's just not worth it, unless your job involves it, like an actor.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
Standard American accent, I guess (whatever that means). It's difficult to notice it on your own, especially if you don't have a particular dialect or inflection on some words. It wasn't until I was in another country that someone asked me where I was from due to my accent that I really thought about it.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When I speak in English I have a mexican accent. It's incredibly hard to get rid of without training. And it's just not worth it, unless your job involves it, like an actor.

Oh you mean Mexican actors like Antonio Banderas and Penelope Cruz! It's a beautiful accent you should own it!

I know

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
I was born in the south but moved all over the US. Everyone says I sound like a surfer who works on computers. I still don't know what that means lol

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
NZ...so I guess Flight of the Conchords or What we do in the Shadows (movie) are mainstream examples, sort of. Not a particularly strong accent compared to the people I met from the South Island. Been presumed to be English or Canadian more often than Australian.