• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
Vaguely New Yorker, though I've accidentally been adopting a few others from other parts of the country every summer and it's really bothering me... My midwestern is getting a little better as time goes on, but I can't control when it happens.

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017

Some of these characteristics did manage to spread down south to the El Paso area. "Are we going to _____, or what?, "Is this _______, or no?"

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
Mine is the hyper-cultivated Australian accent you get from being a shy bookish kid who learned English from his very proper schoolteachers. I get mistaken for being English all the time, even by other Aussies. One of my bosses complemented me on on speaking "the Queen's English" and recently a woman we sold a baby capsule to said I sounded like Adam Golding.

Which is a good thing maybe? All I know is that my voice is deep but not very intimidating.

EDIT: Turns out I recorded myself a few years ago

Last edited:

devenger

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I heard about Colbert watching the daily news and mimicking it because he didnt want to sound like a Carolina hick. As a Texan Ive got basically the same story. I slip into it, but most people say "You dont sound Texan?!!" Meaning, you dont talk like a racist moron.

Oct 27, 2017
Californian most likely, though I recently had a person tell me I had somewhat of a Southern sounding accent. It's hard to say for sure without talking to people who don't have similar accents themselves, unless you have a ridiculous accent that is.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
I avoid speaking English unless it's for work related stuff.

But last time I did, some guy thought I was Croatian faking an Irish accent.

Funny thing, I'm Mexican, but it must have been some definitely horrible shit if I sounded like that.

KimiNewt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mine is a bit of a weird one. I'm native Israeli (so Hebrew as a mother's tongue) but I learnt English quite young.

My hometown was 25% anglosaxons. English, South African, and some American. I was in a English speaking class from the fourth grade, and although out school my teachers were all South African. Of course I also watched a lot of American TV as a kid (many young folks here have almost American accents).

Additionally, from fifth to eleventh grade I spent a few weeks to a month in Ireland speaking exclusively English (my sister lives there and she has a Cork accent). My English speaking friends in highschool were mixed, but mostly Americans with some Scottish friend.

All that made my accent very strange, and it seems to very much change depending to who I'm talking to (speaking to Americans it becomes more American after a while, likewise with British or Irish). It also seems to change depending on the word (i.e. 'three').

I took a couple of tests and they both said Northern Irish which is bizarre since I've been there only once. Maybe I'll record something later and have people judge.

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017
I sound like I am from the midwest to most people unless I am around my parents, in which I am very southern. I also have my phone call voices which will vary from western to southern until I tune it right to the customer.

acheron_xl

Oct 27, 2017
MSN, WI
I originally hail from the small strip of the Midwest that is home of the basic newscaster-flat American accent. So I have that.

Vandaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People that know this country (Netherlands), will instantly hear I'm from Den Haag/The Hague. There are quite a few words where my pronounciation betrays that, however I still think it's not that big a deal as some make it out to be.

Me being Dutch doesn't really seem to affect my English, luckily. Listening to some of my countrymen speaking English even makes my ears bleed.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
Came in to say in before Americans claiming not to have accents but see the OP has that trope covered.

I'm nonspecific southern English, like your average BBC presenter. Not really regionally specific enough to place me with any precision, although you probably could had I been born more rurally.

Zona

Oct 27, 2017
A light New York accent, specifically Long Island (Lawn Guyland). Speech therapy when I was younger seems to have deadened it though, it only really comes out for certain words and in that I don't speak at half a mile an hour.

Abu

Oct 25, 2017
😏
Kansan here. I don't even know what my accent is. I guess it's a mix of the newscasters neutral thing thats been going on for years with a little bit of southern drawl, at least that's what folks have told me. But then I've also got some people who said I sound kinda valleyish 🤔

weird shit breh

Deleted member 2109

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I sound like John Houseman from The Paper Chase. It's a phony accent called transatlantic that my mom was taught in school and passed on.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Scouse. It's like if a Irish accent, Welsh accent and Northern England accent had a gang bang with a Dutch Accent shouting some words of encouragement. It's very shit as no one can understand it, but I'm stuck with it.

Drowner

Banned
May 20, 2019
I think General American. Though I wonder if I travelled more if people would tell me otherwise.

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
Logic would suggest that I would have a general Australian accent like the rest of my family, except I'm told my way of speaking is notably more posh, enough to get me mistaken for British by other Australians.

I got a headset with a Mic here. Somebody give me some nice words you would like to hear me say, as long as they are inoffensive.

KimiNewt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oct 27, 2017
Texan here. I say "y'all" and other southern contractions all the time. I don't have the accent though. My accent is very non-regional American. That has to do with me growing up watching a lot of diverse TV and movies, reading tons of books, having parents who spoke proper English, etc which molded my accent subconsciously. Likewise, most people I meet don't have an over-exaggerated Texan accent unless they grew up in rural counties. Most Texans from the bigger cities / upper class suburbs come from very diverse backgrounds, so there is very little cultural influence in the way they speak.

Last edited:

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Well, someone from here (I forget who) told me I had the most American-sounding voice he's ever heard when I joined a gaming session we organized. Some people think I have a very slight southern twang.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Australian, but I get mistaken for being English often. My parents are Kiwi and South African, and they had to learn to hide their own accents when they moved here so they could live their lives without being asked to say "FUSH AND CHUPS" and the like ten times a day, and they're the ones who raised me.

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
Logic would suggest that I would have a general Australian accent like the rest of my family, except I'm told my way of speaking is notably more posh, enough to get me mistaken for British by other Australians.

I got a headset with a Mic here. Somebody give me some nice words you would like to hear me say, as long as they are inoffensive.
How do I sound?

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone has some sort of accent.

American, a mix of Mid-Western Indiana and Western/Utah.

I've been told I "speak british without the british accent", though I have no idea what that's really supposed to mean.

SephiZack

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My accent is weird and people can never guess where I come from.

Majority of people who listened to me speaking English without seeing my face thought I was a 40-years old Russian/German man.

I'm an Italian Chinese dude that looks 12 years old

johan

Oct 29, 2017
My Dutch is somewhere between an Utrecht and Amsterdam accent. It swings one way or the other depending on who I talk to and how heavy it is depends on how much alcohol in me

My English is very American, and I think it's mostly Californian, but it's probably some mishmash. It's apparently pretty good though because often times people think I'm (partly) American. It came to be like that due to American media, me having been in San Francisco for three times for GDC (more often than I've been to the UK) and probably also me not wanting to sound hyper British like some kids here do when they start learning English.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
I found that tend to adapt to where I am, but of course, my Austrian accent doesn't disappear.
Now, if I speak English in the US or England, you might be like "Ah. He speaks German!"
But if I'm in Scotland or Ireland for a week? Good luck guessing where that mixture of Austrian and Scottish/Irish accent is supposed to be.

When I speak German, it's a mixture of 75% Viennese, 20% Burgenland and 5% Styrian Accent/Dialect.