Twonny

Dec 12, 2018
It's hard to say, but I think the most unique experience plus fun that a handheld gave to me was Hotel Dusk.

Jan 11, 2018
Metroid Fusion
Metroid II
Okamiden
God of War: Ghost of Sparta
Tearaway
Kid Icarus: Uprising
Luigis Mansion: Dark Moon
The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds.

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
Impossible to decide.

Probably going to be a tie between a Megaman Battle Network game or an Etrian Odyssey game.

Jan 2, 2018
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

If we disregard the Switch, then probably Final Fantasy I for the GBA. Yeah, this version is a bit too easy and the music on the GBA is pretty bad in comparison to the FFI version on the PS1, but it was my first Final Fantasy and I still look back fondly.

Also Pokémon Silver.

SantosStrife

Oct 27, 2017
BARELY ANYONE MENTIONS ARIA OF SORROW OR THE DS CASTLEVANIAS??? Shame.

Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia is by far the best Castlevania game ever made. Period. Better than Aria of Sorrow, better than Symphony of the Night, better than Rondo of Blood, better than Super Castlevania IV. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night might dethrone that, but that conclusion will come after years of playing, not now.

Xenoblade 2 might be higher but the Switch is a bit of a gray area considering it's a hybrid.

So I'll go with Order of Ecclesia instead since that's still stuck on the DS.

I forgot to mention this, technically I bought my GBA and my Nintendo DS for Castlevanias. Harmony of Dissonance, Portrait of Ruin and Order of Ecclessia being my favorites.

It's a happy surprise all the other quality titles that launched in this systems. Golden Sun, Ace Attorney and the The World Ends With You are gems as well.

Nintendo 3DS I bought because of Theatrhythm Final Fantasy. I hope the Arcade All Star version launch to a console someday, hopefully Switch.

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017
Gameboy Camera

Gameboy did so many revolutionary things but this was probably the most ahead of its time.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Damn, that's a hard question. I'm not going to count the Switch, since that exists in a weird middle-ground.

So that would make my favorites:

Poke'mon Gold/Silver
Golden Sun
Dragon Warrior Monsters
Dragon Warrior 3

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Pokemon Silver. Too many hours and memories of the game itself, discovering Kanto, link cables, and using a Gameshark to not immediately put this up top.

sxiebonjour

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone here loves Severed? It was such a fresh and fun divergence from the standard console game experience.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
These days I prefer to play RPGs on the big screen, so while it used to be Pokémon it's not any more

as a result it's a tie between Super Mario Land, Kirby's Dream Land, and Donkey Kong '94

220px-Donkey_Kong_94_box_art.jpg

They're perfect pick-up-and-play games. DK '94 is honestly my favorite DK game period.

NotSelf

Oct 26, 2017
Metroid II: Return of Samus

I remember cutting class in high school and playing this on the display couches in J. C. Penney.

Last edited:

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Shinobi II: The Silent Fury on Game Gear stands out for its time. I will always go back and replay it.

Wario Ware, SNK vs Capcom: MOTM, Metroid: Zero Mission, Donkey Kong '94, Link's Awakening, A Link Between Worlds, Blue Lightning, Ghost Trick, Astro Boy GBA, Shinobi 3DS, Aria of Sorrow, GG Aleste II, etc. are rank up there, too.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Link's Awakening
Oracle of Ages/Seasons
A Link Between Worlds
Metroid 2
Megaman 5
SNK vs Capcom Card fighters Clash
Super Mario Land 2
Wario Land
Wario Land on Virtual Boy (Fight me)

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
[high five] I remember very little about the main quest, but getting all the rare boss drops and obtaining the best gear was a lot of fun! I might have to dust off my cartridge to see where I was, which was (woah) nearly a decade ago. :O

I was so addicted to grotto grinding after I beat the main game, I was a dishwasher back then and I was on auto-pilot each day until I was able to get home and play haha.

milkyway

One Winged Slayer
May 17, 2018
Fuck there are so many right answers and the OP is one of them... I mean Pokemon is huge for me, I love Gen 2 and Gen 4 predominantly as well as Pokemon Yellow. Metroid Fusion is legendary. Animal Crossing New Leaf I've dumped hundreds of hours into. The Phoenix Wright games and even the Zero Escape trilogy (well the first two games...) are great. Mother 3. Fire Emblem Blazing Sword/Sacred Stones, even Awakening/Fates/Echoes are meritable. I'd probably say P4G and P3P but I only played the originals on PS3. Minish Cap and Link Between Worlds. I have had a lot of great times on handhelds for sure. Also I'm not counting the Switch as I've mostly played it on the big screen.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I wanna say Pokemon Platinum. I was soooo excited for it. Went to Gamestop to pick up my pre-order and played it on the way to Disney World that day. I don't think I put as many hours in a handheld game as I did that game.

Oct 27, 2017
Omaha
Plenty of games on switch, but I won't count that yet.

Probably Zelda Four Swords adventure. Once you got multiple people in it was so much fun. Even single player was good.

Torperion

Jun 24, 2019
So glad to see so much love for Kid Icarus Uprising in this thread—throw my hat into the pile too because that game was absolutely superb. Not remaking it for the Switch with better controls would be a crime.

panama chief

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo, hear my prayer...please give me a new pokemon Pinball. please. enough with the rumble games and all the other stuff.
44483-Pokemon_Pinball_-_Ruby_&_Sapphire_(E)(Surplus)-4.jpg

Iso

Oct 25, 2017
DBZ: Legacy of Goku 2/Buu's Fury
Animal Crossing Wild World/New Leaf
TLOZ: Oracle of Ages
Pokemon Ruby

Can't decide between these, they were all such a huge part of my life.