JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Ooh this is a fun question and, genuinely, I'm not sure. I'm gonna stumble through my favorites for each console and then try and pick one at the end.

GAME BOY
250px-Blue_EN_boxart.png

Really no question here. I was pretty young during the Game Boy and Game Boy color days, so I barely even remember playing too many games on it. Still, I remember my first time playing Pokemon vividly. So many memories are tied to playing this thing, where I played it, and how I talked about it to my friends and family. It's still one of the few times, thanks to the game itself and who I was at the time, I achieved a real "journey into the unknown" experience. I didn't even mind when I needed my brother to help me because it felt REAL. I love this silly game.

GBA
47690-yoshi-topsy-turvy-game-boy-advance-front-cover.jpg

This game probably doesn't hold up and I DON'T CARE. My memories of it are so fond I still look back at Topsy-Turvy with magic and wonder. I always loved Yoshi, and the weird faux-3D(?) artstyle in this game really did it for me and tilting the system to affect the world felt like the most incredible phenomenon at the time.

PSP
Dissidia_Duodecim_012_Final_Fantasy.png

The combat in this thing hooked me and all I wanted to do was play fights over and over again. Maybe I was crazy, but 1 on 1 fights had this sense of drama and urgency. It was all about knowing the movesets and conducting reads. Pulling stuff off felt like going straight up galaxy brain and I was constantly experimenting with different characters trying to find my perfect match.

Still bummed about how the PS4 game turned out.

Nintendo DS
61PbzNZ5qeL._SX425_.jpg

One of the best literal titles in games ever and really just a masterpiece from beginning to end. There are few games so perfectly designed for the system they were on and this is easily one of them. The style, the music, the creative swings between the world and its characters-- I really love this game.

Nintendo 3DS
595773_front.jpg

I really liked a lot of games on 3DS. Kid Icarus Uprising was fun, but the story didn't grab me as much as it did many others. Animal Crossing New Leaf is my favorite game in that series to date, but I wanted even more ambition than that game provided. 3D Land and A Link Between Worlds are both amazing, but I gotta give my 3DS award to the Pokemon game that got me BACK IN. I adored Sun and Moon. Between the Pokemon Ride system, Totem Pokemon, the way gyms were changed and even the designs of a lot of the new Pokemon themselves, there was a lot that stood out here that really made me fall in love with Pokemon again.

Vita
6140PUTxB9L._SX342_.jpg

It's a toss-up between Danganronpa and Persona 4 Golden. I'll give Danganronpa the edge since Persona 4 Golden is like half a port. This was my first visual novel and it was an amazing and wild ride. Danganronpa would, in later titles, get away from what I thought made the first game so great, but I have a soft spot for the entire franchise. There was a time when this game took the place of the book I was reading before bed. I would tell my friends that I felt like I was binging my favorite tv show every night, haha!

Switch
5721505_sd.jpg;maxHeight=640;maxWidth=550

My love for ARMS will never die.

Looking at this list, as boring as it is, I guess Pokemon Blue wins! Persona 4 Golden and Danganronpa are right up there though.

Edit: thinking about it a bit more, P4G might be the one if that counts lol.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Fire Emblem for the GBA.

And I have played a lot of great handheld games (ie Tetris on GB, GTA on PSP, those Castlevsnia games on GBA, everything on DS, etc) but my favorite is Fire Emblem.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Not a port or a remake, but something that was designed for and released on a handheld. I don't really have the Switch in mind when asking this question, but I suppose there's not really a good reason for excluding it.

For my part, I would go with Advance Wars: Dual Strike. It's been years now since I've played it, but I remember it as the peak of the addictive Advance Wars formula, a game which made good use of the touch screen and unique layout of the DS. The tag-team component, beyond justifying the DS acronym, allowed for some really cool combinations of leader abilities and powers.

yea dual strike is an excellent game

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I got nothing. Edit: Marvel Future Fight. My favorite phone game, made for phones, not a port. Looked better than Marvel Heroes to me art wise. It had less polygons but it was well done.

I loved a port though, Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3. I didn't have the handheld version, but I loved the PS3 game.

Wetalo

Feb 9, 2018
Tetris, Minish Cap, Ghost Trick, Ace Attorney, Killzone Mercenary get my votes.

Tetris dear God though is the perfect handheld game.

Gpur

Banned
Jun 1, 2018
Damn, too many.
Ghost trick, Metroid Fusion and Zero, Wipeout for the Vita, Fire Emblem awekening, all the LoZ.

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
Game Boy: Pokemon Crystal
GBA: Pokemon Emerald
DS: Super Mario 64 DS
PSP: X-Men Legends II
3DS: Super Mario 3D Land
PS Vita: Jak and Daxter Trilogy
Switch: Super Mario Odyssey

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Pokemon Platinum, the peak of the franchise. Sinnoh is the most fully realized, sprawling region and the game feels like the complete package in a way no other game in the franchise has since. The mechanics are polished with things like physical/special split that give it a strong advantage over older entries. It's one of my favorite games period.

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
SI_NDS_CastlevaniaOrderOfEcclesia_image1600w.jpg

Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia.
I could not put my DS down. Finished it 3 times. For me the best Castlevania ever made. Even better than Sotn.

Honorable mentions:

Fire Emblem Awakening
Animal Crossing New Leaf

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
qppFEaR.jpg

Despite all its flaws I still liked it a lot.
Followed by other Pokemon games, Ouendan and A Link Between Worlds.

RingoGaSuki

Apr 22, 2019
All of my favourite games are handheld games..

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky is #1 for me by quite a long way, it's my favourite game ever. Dragon Quest V's DS release in 2nd, PMD Blue Rescue Team, Emerald and B2/W2 following them.

Soneji

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Link's Awakening easily, in my top 5 games of all time, and the second best Zelda. It's atmosphere, well done twist, charming cast of characters and great dungeons+inventive item use encapsulate all that is amazing about the series. Koizumi the GOAT, whose talents as a storyteller were wasted on Mario.

Golden Sun and Pokemon Emerald would come second and third for me. I do have quite a number of handheld games that I haven't played that could certainly contend for 2nd and 3rd spots like Radiant Historia, which I will eventually get to playing....

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Final Fantasy Tactics: Advance. It was the first FF game I liked and introduced me to the tactics genre. Plus I was like 8 so I thought the story was a really cool idea with the kids being sucked into an alternate fantasy world through a mysterious book.

jothne

Jun 20, 2019
Japan
The original Rhythm Tengoku on the GBA. I know it's not exactly the most challenging rhythm game, but it has a real charm and meditative quality to it that I haven't even found in its sequels.

Voyevoda

Nov 1, 2017
Paris, France
Tearaway.

The game was PERFECT for the Vita. The PS4 version was nice, but far from the genius that the Vita version was.

I had a big ass smile on my face from start to finish, discovering every new location with glee, following that little messenger (played Atoi on Vita and Iota on PS4) with the curiosity of a child, and felt teary at the end.

For anyone thinking of giving Tearaway a go, and not knowing which version to choose: if you can get your hands on a Vita for a few hours, definitely play that one.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Links Awakening (GB) or Monster Hunter 4 (3DS) for me.

For a wider shortlist, perhaps:
Megaman V (GB)
Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (DS)
Ys: Memories of Celceta (Vita)
Advance Wars: Dark Conflict (DS)
Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes (DS)
Jeanne D'arc (PSP)
Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones (GBA)
Monster Hunter Generations (3DS)

Can't wait for the LA remake. What I love about the 2D Zeldas is that they packed with weirdness, little oddities on every screen.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I was so addicted to grotto grinding after I beat the main game, I was a dishwasher back then and I was on auto-pilot each day until I was able to get home and play haha.
Every morning on my way to work, I would get my coffee and then hang out outside in my car to hop on their wi-fi so that I could grab my DQVC stuff. I took that game everywhere. Such good memories! :)

bottledfox

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Breath of the Wild, certainly. Discounting Switch games, I'll give it to either The World Ends With You or Pheonix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials and Tribulations.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Mother 3 probably. A worthy sequel to one of the most unique and thoughtful rpg's ever made, it's really quite a special game and kinda razy that the game is as good as it is. Itoi should really write more stories for videogames, Mother or not.

/edit: actually Link's Awakening probably gets it. Mother 3's a good second place.

trajon

Dec 5, 2017
Winner: Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII.

God I loved that game, Thundaga broke it so easily. 😂 Would LOVE if they either remastered it or made a good chunk of it playable in FFVII: Remake. Doubt they will, best we'll get is some cutscenes alluding to it.

Runner Up: Custom Robo Arena

Custom Robo was probably my favorite game on the GC as a kid, getting a new version on my DS was basically a dream come true. I just wish this series hadn't died, I want more!