• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
I upgraded my PC not too long ago so haven't really been looking at drives. Went to Microcenter today and a Intel 1tb m2 SSD was only $109 and a inland 1tb was $89. Even the lower range ones were cheap and I mean like DIRT cheap, the inland brand 120gb? $18.

I heard Ram prices were falling (my next upgrade) but I didn't expect SSD prices to also just rocket so far down, I am not complaining though, got that m2 drive and I am loving it right now!

Oct 29, 2017
Prices have been gradually going down for a year, but those intel SSDs are a special case because of QLC NAND, which is cheaper.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I still have a small 120 GB for windows from when those things were crazy expensive and a 250 and a 500 GB of when they were a little bit cheaper, I still have to juggle games between these two which is annoying so I might just switch those out and get a 1 TB SSD at some point and free up some PC Case space.

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Those Intel drives are QLC, so be careful if you're going to have constant writing. But yeah, in general prices are way down.

I bought an 1TB HP EX920 m.2 for $150 a few weeks ago, which is insane because that drive is Samsung 970 speed.

OP
OP
wwm0nkey

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Those Intel drives are QLC, so be careful if you're going to have constant writing. But yeah, in general prices are way down.

I bought an 1TB HP EX920 m.2 for $150 a few weeks ago, which is insane because that drive is Samsung 970 speed.
Yeah I am aware, won't be doing THAT much writing to it hahaha

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Remember how shitty it was to build a pc about a year ago? I'm so glad 2019 is in a better place for components.

Oct 29, 2017
New cheaper "pro' levelt NVMe SSD are also releasing and closing the gap with Samsung. Adata XPG SX8200 is competitive with Samsung 970 Plus and 30% cheaper.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Just picked up two of the 1TB 970 Evo Plus models for RAID0.

The 970 Evo Plus model is the greatest bump in price/perf we've seen in a long time.

Even better, you can get 80-90% of the performance of Samsung for, like, 60% of the cost right now if you keep an eye out for a deal from Intel, HP, or even other smaller brands.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
How do people in the UK do price checking between stores.

Nowinstock doesnt seem to work well anymore for UK stores.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why is there still a few seconds delay from me pressing the boot up button to browsing Era?

This is 2019. I want instant. We need to go faster.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also, who would build a new PC with less than 32 GB RAM these days? 64GB is the new hotness. I want 56 tabs in my browser at all times and I don't care what it takes.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Untitled.png

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
The wonderful thing about flash memory is that it doesn't require leading edge lithography like every other piece of high performance IC. 22nm, 32nm, even 40nm are fine for high density flash because it's all 3D NAND and layered anyway. Long tails on capex costs means companies get more use out of their equipment investments and lots of spare capacity at other foundries looking to get value out of their older equipment.

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How do people in the UK do price checking between stores.

Nowinstock doesnt seem to work well anymore for UK stores.

I only recently found this -

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/

Typically I buy second hand bits but when I do eventually go for "the big upgrade", I go new, compare manually across a few sites. This website tho, damn I was impressed. Shows all my usual sites plus others I didn't know about. Surprising price differences on there.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like I need to do some upgrades across the board. Will using an SSD from about 3 or 4 years ago be noticeably slower than one of the cheaper ones out today? In terms of tech I mean, not wear or whatever.

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Why is there still a few seconds delay from me pressing the boot up button to browsing Era?

This is 2019. I want instant. We need to go faster.
Funny you should mention that. Era has been running very slow on my iPhone. And it takes a lot of battery life. I've deleted cookies and history. But it still runs slow.

Airegin

Dec 10, 2017
I'm still waiting for 1TB external hard drives for €30, looks like it will never go lower than €50.

Looks like USB sticks are quite a bit cheaper now too. Amazon Germany has a 256GB Sandisk Ultra for €35.

Last edited:

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Also, who would build a new PC with less than 32 GB RAM these days? 64GB is the new hotness. I want 56 tabs in my browser at all times and I don't care what it takes.
8 GB is still fine; we're still not at the point where 16 GB is the standard amount of RAM you should get for gaming...but you should get more RAM if you plan to perform activities like video editing or streaming.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
1TB SSD have been hovering around $95-$100 and 2TB around $210 for a while now. Just updated my PS4 pro with a 1TB SSD and its great.

TreeMePls

Oct 25, 2017
Friend, just buy a super cheap 128gb SSD.

The boot times alone are worth it.
Oh I know they're worth it, but I was planning on getting a new PC later in the year anyway, just wasnt sure if I would spend more on SSDs on not but since theyre free falling in price I could wait a little bit longer for a better deal. Plus transferring SSDs to a new computer intimidates me a bit.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
8 GB is still fine; we're still not at the point where 16 GB is the standard amount of RAM you should get for gaming...but you should get more RAM if you plan to perform activities like video editing or streaming.
My work computer chokes all the time with 8GB RAM while 16 or 32 GB RAM gives me no trouble.

8GB definitely doesn't cut it anymore - and I am not doing video editing or anything like that on the work computer.

Hubologist

Nov 1, 2017
Great news for my Cyberpunk build. GPUs don't seem to be going down, unfortunately, but I can see myself slumming it with a 1070 a while longer.

Hopefully, the new Ryzens deliver.

Oct 29, 2017
SSDs are a fantastic upgrade over HDDs and I'm very glad about this. I hope they get low enough that they start to put them into game consoles.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Not satisfied til I can get 8TB for $100

The struggle of recording and editing 4K video in 2019 :(

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
My work computer chokes all the time with 8GB RAM while 16 or 32 GB RAM gives me no trouble.

8GB definitely doesn't cut it anymore - and I am not doing video editing or anything like that on the work computer.

+1.

Bought a budget laptop with 8gb. Shoulda went for more ram. You do so much more on 8gb than u did years ago..

Caz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada

There's your problem right there.

Plasmid

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I got a crucial 500 GB m.2 for $47. Might buy a 2tb SSD on sale and move my os.

Oct 27, 2017
I disagree, 16GB is the standard for new builds now that prices have fallen. The vast majority of the best selling ram list on Amazon and Newegg is 16GB kits. Steam Hardware survey currently has 38% of users with 8GB, and 32% with 16GB. Won't be long before 16GB overtakes 8GB on the survey.

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Yeah I waited for the Samsung 500gb to drop to sub 100 that was months ago. Reminds me I should hook up my 1tb 7200 drive again months later lol

Deleted member 11985

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For anybody who's getting a hankering to buy an m.2 SSD for the first time because of this thread, if all you're planning on doing is gaming, then I recommend buying a higher capacity but slower SATA drive instead of a lower capacity but faster NVMe drive. I bought a 500GB 970 Evo, and I honestly wish I would've bought a 1TB SATA m.2 that was the same price instead. I barely notice a speed difference from my old SATA SSD and the 970 Evo, and the extra storage space from a 1TB drive would've been a lot more useful.

But I also understand if you can't resist buying an NVMe. When I bought my m.2, I had a sneaking suspicion a larger SATA would be more useful to me, but I still caved and bought the NVMe anyway. It's hard to resist.

supernormal

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017

Absolutely this. I built my PC like 2 years ago thinking 32gb would be some sort of holy grail "NASA LEVEL SPEED" for video editing. Turns out it's merely adequate and you probably won't crash every 2 seconds. That's just working with 1080p. Somehow 128gb doesn't seem so crazy anymore.

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
Just picked up two of the 1TB 970 Evo Plus models for RAID0.
I have to recommend against RAID0, especially for SSDs. The real world performance gain is almost nothing, and you're just doubling your chance of a total failure and making it a pain in the ass if you ever need to migrate those drives to another system. I used RAID0 with my first SSDs, and it's still my biggest "why the fuck did I do that" decision I've made in system building