• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Look forward until they're close then greet them and keep walking

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
Usually I'll ask during a job interview if they have any long hallways in the building. If so, I just walk out and look for employment elsewhere.

perturbator

Dec 28, 2017
Being a good hockey-loving Canadian, all of my energy and focus goes into denying my primal urge to body check the hell out of them.

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017
I know some people have anxiety, but please recognize that other people are people. If you're walking down a hallway, make eye contact then give a nod or hello.

Hell, this also works when going opposite directions on a sidewalk. Acknowledging someone's humanity is a good way to go from a potential mugging victim to just someone walking by. (There are competing lines of thought on that where half think "Criminals just don't like attacking people that are able to describe their face" and the other half think "Acknowledging the assailant as a person tends to make them see the potential victim as a person")

OP
OP
badboy78660

badboy78660

Oct 27, 2017
I know some people have anxiety, but please recognize that other people are people. If you're walking down a hallway, make eye contact then give a nod or hello.

Hell, this also works when going opposite directions on a sidewalk. Acknowledging someone's humanity is a good way to go from a potential mugging victim to just someone walking by. (There are competing lines of thought on that where half think "Criminals just don't like attacking people that are able to describe their face" and the other half think "Acknowledging the assailant as a person tends to make them see the potential victim as a person")

Thank you for this post; I couldn't agree more.

Oaklight

Avenger
Jun 16, 2018
Depends on my mood. If I'm happy I'll do a quick wave and if I'm in a bad mood I'll wave but 10% less enthusiastically.

Booki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
A small nod is usually enough after extended eye contact with a stranger. If I see the other person on the regular, then they get a dap,a smile, or a verbal greeting.

I just wing it. I'm usually too busy thinking about some other topic to really give it much thought.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Wave when afar.

Smile while looking vaguely his/her way while walking closer

Nod and vocally greet when close

Skelepuzzle

Apr 17, 2018
Responses in this thread have been pretty interesting. While the premise of the thread might be lulzy and uninspired, I actually find the simple act of just walking down a hall to be pretty entertaining and illuminating—largely because I've pretty much encountered every single type of behavior mentioned in here.
I can respect people not wanting to engage with anybody in such an environment. What kinda miffs me though is the ones you do lock eyes with and smile to, who clearly saw you smile and say hello...but seem to project an air of either being better than you, or too good to respond back. Or, they'll have a face about them like they just heard of a death in their family. Smile, damnit!

I honestly just don't notice people sometimes, especially if I am in the middle of trying to solve some sort of problem. It's not that I intend to be rude, I just don't think about where I am beyond the fact that I am in the middle of getting to a destination when I am in that mood or have been working long hours.

That said I do return the greeting if I'm not lost in my own thoughts.

m0therzer0

Mobile Gaming Product Manager
Verified
Nov 19, 2017
San Francisco bay area

This is just what I'd expect a secret Lizard person to say.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
One of the plus sides of Japan is that they usually have a random nonsense phrase to cover these situations.

So I just mumble an 'otsukaresama' as I approach them.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm usually stuck in my own little world, just getting distracted by my own thoughts and not really paying attention to others.

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
I usually stand very still in hopes that they qill pass by without seeing me, and this works most times. But if the greet me or try speak to me i will usually turn and run in the opposite direction.

ScandiNavy

Banned
Apr 13, 2018
Norway
Eye contact and a smile. Not the condolences smile; the internet has made me self-aware about that one, so I'm doing my best to avoid it.

Btw, I can't get myself to show teeth in these situations, just one with the lips. I find the teeth one to be weird somehow.
Anyone else?

And when I see a person "using the phone" I just laugh to myself thinking "sure, buddy".

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
3818349-8610532032-36261.gif

Lol. My office has 2 bathrooms down the long corridor sooooo definitely eye contact and hi but with the exception they are walking directly out of the can you just hustle by lol ... Not always cool to lock eyes with someone just coming from releasing evil spirits .