• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't even notice the haptics much on my controller, same with the Switch. Probably just something wrong with my hands, but I miss the meaty rumble.

Triggers are annoying after the initial "this is kinda cool" factor, so turned off.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I want the controller to be rumbling at all times and it it isn't vibrating it should be glowing and making noises.
I'm in the minority here, I'm sure, but I want that damn thing going crazy. As long as it's not a competitive shooter or something, I want to be going ten rounds in the ring with those triggers and I want every damn sensation in the game world to have a unique vibration. This is some of the coolest controller tech in history and the games that have used it so far have blown my mind, I just want more.
Lol this is where I'm at too. I wanna feel and see everything. Something very subtle but very cool was hearing the souls being sucked into your body through the speakers or rubble you walk over. I fucked loved it. And that's just the sound.

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
I use the DualSense haptics which is weird because I always kept rumble turned off for other systems. It feels different and immersive enough compared to rumble which I still think is pointless.

sionydus

Jan 2, 2021
West Coast, USA
I don't want to insult anyone but genuinely wonder could grip strength be a factor in how much you enjoy it? If it destabilizes you too much, I can see that detracting from the experience.

Oct 25, 2017
i have zero interest in the default returnal half-press + full-press adaptive trigger thing where each represents a different function, but otherwise i like it

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
I love the haptics, but they got annoying in Ratchet and Clank because some minor actions would have tons of rumble.

But the advanced haptics + the adaptive triggers are easily the best part of the controller

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in the minority here, I'm sure, but I want that damn thing going crazy. As long as it's not a competitive shooter or something, I want to be going ten rounds in the ring with those triggers and I want every damn sensation in the game world to have a unique vibration. This is some of the coolest controller tech in history and the games that have used it so far have blown my mind, I just want more.
Yeah.

This is where I'm at. I just started Scarlet Nexus and in the tutorial as soon as I felt the trigger fight my fingers, I got excited. 😅
This.
It's so cool and satisfying like when using the powers.

Radnom

Oct 25, 2017
not everyone's gonna like it, not everyone's going to like any rumble at all. R&C had a setting for it - isn't that the ideal solution?

I really like the OTT haptics for the most part but I do find it a bit tiring when there's resistance in the trigger if you have to use it all the time, my trigger finger got very sore after playing the Spider-Man remaster haha

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I LOVE IT. But the only games I've played that really used it so far are Astro and Returnal. Re Village it was kinda neat. But honestly I think it's part of what makes the ps5 feel like a next Gen system.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
I don't mind them (mostly), but I can see where OP is coming from.

For me, the haptic feedback and vibrations haven't been an issue but I've found the adaptive triggers to be a hassle that ends up causing a bit of hand pain, especially in racing games (Wreckfest was nearly unplayable for me after 20-30 minutes with them active) where you're constantly using the trigger. One of those 'nice in theory' features - it makes sense that you'd have resistance in a real life scenario but I don't really want to be fighting the controller while playing a game.

Grimmi

Oct 28, 2017
I love the haptics and Controller sounds in Returnal. One of my favourite features of the game. For me, this level of Dual Sense usage should be in every game from now on.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
I like everything and will use everything besides adaptive triggers in multiplayer shooters

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I love it. So I'm not sure there is a line for me lol.

Those left/right small vibrations on ratchet were nice. And I really like the triggers having resistance. Its hard to go back to limp ones now tbh. It's just a shame not all Devs utilise them very well.

Xero grimlock

Dec 1, 2017
aside from astro haven't played ton with the haptic, but give it all to me. love the adaptive triggers on everything. My favorite so far is probably doom eternal so good.

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I launched Returnal for the first time just now and shut it off before taking 10 steps, as I was so irritated by the severity of the haptics in the opening cutscene. It didn't feel immersive. It felt distracting. The point is to emphasize KEY actions, not EVERY action. Like that sentence. IF I CAPITALIZE EVERY WORD FOR EMPHASIS, I EMPHASIZE NOTHING.

I'm sure you are being hyperbolic here, but the opening scene is your ship blowing up and crashing onto a planet. It's going to be bumpy. The rumble in Returnal is amazing, the energy charges of your weapons and the pulsing of those quick travel pods are fantastic.

Devil

Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing on default and never felt distracted by it.

BUT I'm playing with headphones on so I never hear the noise it makes. The few times I took the headphones off the sound of vibrations was really loud and distracting. So the sound might be the issue, not the feeling.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
Yeah not super impressed with the haptics, I turned them to medium and of course disabled the speaker. I'm actually surprised anyone tried the controller speaker again after the travesty that was the Wii... Anyway, the haptics to me just feel like I'm holding a buzzing piece of plastic. Yes, it buzzes in different intensities, textures etc. but at the end of the day it just feels "cheap" to me. The Switch already did it and there's a reason noone cared. I'm glad others like it but it doesn't do much to make me feel the characters' footsteps or whatever.

The triggers on the other hand are great, really neat feature that I hope everyone (i.e. Xbox) copies ASAP. The climbing section in Astro that used the triggers in combination with the gyro immediately put pretty much all of the industry to shame. Very cool use.

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
You don't like the default settings, but when you turn settings down you feel like you're missing something?

Every day I think I've seen all possible complaints, but then I find a thread that smashes that notion

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I barely notice the haptics and triggers anymore tbh. I still keep it turned on but it's rarely something that I'm wowed by so far other than Astro Bot and the rain in Returnal.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
Haptics are far better than classic rumble but developers need to knock it off with the rumble on footsteps, it's game ruining for some of us.
It severely diminished my enjoyment of Bugsnax and has absolutely ruined Control, to the point that I wish I'd picked it up on a different platform and won't be going back to it on my PS5 (which is gutting as I was really excited about more Alan Wake)

The general response you get in places like this is "don't like it? turn it off". But you can't turn off only footstep rumble, you can only turn off all haptics which makes the game experience very empty. Footstep haptics need to disappear as fast as it arrived, or we need granular control over it and be able to turn it off without disabling the other haptics in the game.

Less is more when it comes to haptics, if the controller is vibrating every footstep you take it's diminishing the impact of the other haptics in the game.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
I like the controller but the gimmicks I can take or leave. I haven't turned any of now, but I might turn off the trigger stuff at some point. It kind of got annoying with RE Village

OP
OP
Kittenz

Kittenz

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
Less is more when it comes to haptics, if the controller is vibrating every footstep you take it's diminishing the impact of the other haptics in the game.
Yes yes yes. It'a my argument too. If it's all haptic it just blues into noise.

I still think the cutscenes are ridiculous too. If you were watching a movie and there was haptic feedback every second, evwry Visual element, we'd all say it's ridiculous and unnecessary. Same applies here.
I'm sure you are being hyperbolic here, but the opening scene is your ship blowing up and crashing onto a planet. It's going to be bumpy. The rumble in Returnal is amazing, the energy charges of your weapons and the pulsing of those quick travel pods are fantastic.
Having now played a dozen hours of Returnal, you're right about those couple examples. The problem is that those would pop more if every footstep weren't already giving feedback.

FusedAtoms

Jul 21, 2018
I draw no line. Full haptics and triggers all the time. Multiplayer or single player its the best. It's made me play to completion games I didn't enjoy originally just because it makes gameplay more engaging for me.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The more rumble, haptics and adaptive trigger use, the better. If anything I feel like the rumble could do with being stronger at times lol.

That said, just turn it down in settings if it's too strong for you. By default it's set to the highest strength option.