• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
Usually dealership since it's about $75 for synthetic. I'd do it myself, but don't feel like finding a place to do it since I have insane HOA peeps.

Mingoguaya

Oct 30, 2017
Even in a luxury vehicle is still asinine to be paying that much for something that takes 10 minutes. You think that luxury vehicle uses a different luxury oil than other ones or something? Its strictly dealer markup, if they filling up your sump with Redline, Amsoil, or Royal Purple then you literally just asking to get ripped off unless you're rocking a hypercar, then you got fuck you money.
Oh, I know. A friend of mine is a luxury mechanic and he tells me that the biggest markup they have is oil and brake pad changes ($300+ for a Mercedes brake pad change is killer).

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
look for a local shop that does oil changes, they should do fully synthetic for no more than $60-70.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Usually dealership since it's about $75 for synthetic. I'd do it myself, but don't feel like finding a place to do it since I have insane HOA peeps.

HOA's are the worst. Luckily I have a friend with a large garage in his backyard for when I need to do big jobs. Otherwise I can't have my car on jackstands for more than a day in my driveway, and the garage already has a non-running car in it.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
At the end of the day, the money I am paying someone else to do it is $10-$20. Willing to pay that just so I won't have to worry about spills during replacement or recycling the oil.
Yep. That + spent time (direct and indirectly) makes it come out to a wash or worse if you go to one of those places that does courtesy checks/top-offs.

OP
OP

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'm curious how many miles it's been since your last oil change OP? If you are running full synthetic and you aren't being really hard on your car you can go probably 10k miles. I take my car to my dealership because I get free oil changes and maintenance for two years on my car. Prior to that I used to go to a quick change place by my house. It used to be like $70 for synthetic with a coupon.
It's been 10,000 miles almost exactly. I don't drive a ton so I last did it in February.

bossmonkey

Avenger
Nov 9, 2017
I bought a contract with my car a few years ago for like 8 changes for like 80 to 100 bucks. I drive a Toyota so it's a 10,000 mile change and i have a couple of changes left. Once that is out it's back to DIY

bossmonkey

Avenger
Nov 9, 2017
For those that do oil changes themselves, where do you take the old oil?

Don't do it as that one guy said and put it in the old bottle and throw it away. That's hella illegal and just a dick move environmentally which could result in a fine if you are caught. I would suggest just googling oil disposal and your town's name. Also if you know where the local dump is, they usually have an oil disposal site. They're scattered around town here and are just white metal boxes with a hinged opening on the top. Pour the old oil in there and you're good to go. If you've never done it before get one of the drip pans with resealable holes on the top and a hole for pouring out on the side. They're about $20 at Wal-Mart and last forever.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Don't do it as that one guy said and put it in the old bottle and throw it away. That's hella illegal and just a dick move environmentally which could result in a fine if you are caught. I would suggest just googling oil disposal and your town's name. Also if you know where the local dump is, they usually have an oil disposal site. They're scattered around town here and are just white metal boxes with a hinged opening on the top. Pour the old oil in there and you're good to go. If you've never done it before get one of the drip pans with resealable holes on the top and a hole for pouring out on the side. They're about $20 at Wal-Mart and last forever.

This. Any auto parts store usually takes your old oil. You just walk in and tell them you have oil to recycle and they tell you where the tank is.

Oct 27, 2017
I do it myself so the money I'd spend on labor goes to the more expensive oil and filter brand although I'm sure it really dosen't matter much in the end.

Spend about $45 and 20 minutes on royal purple synthetic and filter.

Deleted member 9486

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I just take it to the local Mazda dealer. It's not that much more than oil change places and I get the benefit of having all fluids checked and topped off and a full inspection to keep tabs on anything else that may need addressed (which is more important as time goes on as my car is a 2008 with 85kish miles on it as I've mostly had short commutes most of the years I've owned it).

To be clear for everyone saying free oil changes, you bought the oil change package they try and sell you when you bought your car right?

I lost the benefit when I moved states and far away from the dealership where I bought the car, but it came with (for no extra charge) a coupon booklet that alternated a free oil change with a paid (discounted) oil change plus other maintenance things. That was a great deal for someone that likes to get all (or at least most) dealer recommended maintenances at the set milestones. If you're not one to do that, way cheaper to change oil yourself or just pay for oil changes.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
To be clear for everyone saying free oil changes, you bought the oil change package they try and sell you when you bought your car right?
Don't a lot new cars come with like a year of free maintenance?

To the OP, you have 2 options:
1. Buy the oil yourself (Costco and Walmart have great prices on Mobil1 full synthetic), a filter from your local auto parts store or Walmart (Bosch is great and cheap) and take it to a small repair shop. It really shouldn't cost more than $20 labor

2. Do it yourself. Super easy if you have the space and the tools, but again, this would only save you like $20 each time. Might not be worth your time and effort

$50 for synthetic at the dealership. $100 is insane.
$50 for full synthetic at a dealership is more insane(ly cheap) to me. What car?

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Don't some warranties get weird if you don't have official records of oil changes? Especially those "lifetime powertrain" warranties?

Baron Von Beans

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Dealership where I bought the car - free oil changes for life. It was included with the car, I didn't buy anything extra

Zhengi

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I usually go on Groupon and buy from a local car wash. With a 20% off local deals coupon and my total is around $55 with a free car wash included.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
Find a local guy. $40 done by a dude working from his backyard. Never has to touch the insides of my car and I get to watch him work. Even cheaper if I bring my own oil and filter. I would never bring my car to a dealer or lube shop.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
It's $20 at the dealership if I bring my own oil. $30 for a 5L bottle of decent synthetic on sale (and every other brand seems to have constant mail in rebates).

Luckily my engine capacity is 5 quarts, so that single bottle is just sufficient (with a couple of tablespoons left over). If I had to tack another small bottle on it would be far more annoying as only the big jugs seem to go on sale.

hockeypuck

Oct 29, 2017
I've got a Subaru Outback which requires synthetic oil and everyone charges so damn much to do it that I started changing my own a couple years ago.
Love how easy it is to change the oil in newer Outbacks. The ground clearance is high enough that the car doesn't need jacks, the oil filter is on top (literally right next to the washer fluid refill), and after replacing the oil pan screw with a Fumoto valve, it's a clean operation. Don't have to worry about the least experienced worker at an auto shop over-torquing and stripping the screw. I've stopped wearing gloves.

On a side note, Bob Is The Oil Guy has one of the most fascinating niche forums I've come across. There are posters there who toss new motor oil just so they could try a different blend, it's amazing. It's like the Gaming side of Resetera, but with motor oil instead.

Last edited:

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
There's some car shop next to my house that handles the oil change. It's either them or Firestone.

Oct 31, 2017
Look around for yelp reviews and find a good mechanic.
I prefer to go to the dealership.

I've learned I'm not great at DIY when it comes to cars.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
50 bucks for full synthetic at the dealership? I'm jealous.

Also, no matter what car I've had, no matter what dealer is near me, getting an oil change at the dealership is always an ordeal. Is it not like that in other places? Like at least a couple of hours, which is crazy when Valvoline will do it while you sit in your car.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Love how easy it is to change the oil in newer Outbacks. The ground clearance is high enough that the car doesn't need jacks, the oil filter is on top (literally right next to the washer fluid refill), and after replacing the oil pan screw with a Fumoto valve, it's a clean operation. Don't have to worry about the least experienced worker at an auto shop over-torquing and stripping the screw. I've stopped wearing gloves.

The placement of the filter is fucking amazing. Kudos to their engineer and design teams for that one.

What's that about a Fumoto valve? I need to read up on that.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
50 bucks for full synthetic at the dealership? I'm jealous.

Also, no matter what car I've had, no matter what dealer is near me, getting an oil change at the dealership is always an ordeal. Is it not like that in other places? Like at least a couple of hours, which is crazy when Valvoline will do it while you sit in your car.

Depends on the dealership and how busy they are that day. The one I worked at there were dedicated people that only did oil changes and tires, so the people who came in for just that could be in and out quicker. On a busy day it would still take a while though as there were only 3 of those oil change bays.

Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
I've been changing my own oil for a little while now just because its become really expensive to have it serviced at a shop.

I'll wait until I'm at about 3000 miles, and I'll change the oil filter every other time. I spend less than $30 and it maybe takes me 25 minutes.

I'm not opposed to having someone do it if the price is good. I heard about a place here in Phoenix that was just built, and they offer changes for $20.00. I can't think of the name right now for the life of me.

hockeypuck

Oct 29, 2017
The placement of the filter is fucking amazing. Kudos to their engineer and design teams for that one.

What's that about a Fumoto valve? I need to read up on that.
It's this one, for an Outback. When you're ready to drain the oil, attach some 3/8" vinyl piping and turn the valve switch. Oil drains cleanly into pain, no lost screws, no splashes. I've had mine for 3 years and it doesn't leak. If I did any sort of off-roading I'd probably use that plastic guard, but I currently don't need it.

Oct 28, 2017
My local dealership topically has a deal where you get full synthetic, tire rotation, other fluid top off and checks, for like $75

Jaychrome91

Nov 4, 2018
Got an oil change at Walmart two days ago. It was $50 for the full synthetic oil change. They also checked my tires, filled my windshield wiper fluid, checked my battery, and gave me a free vacuum cleaning in my car. Will see how the Walmart oil filter does. I'm impressed so far.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
My dealer gives free oil changes for something like three years so long as it's every six months or 5,000 miles. So I just schedule it online with them. I only put 3,600-ish miles on my current two year old Honda so I've only had to have one oil change. Probably the only perk for living in the city: I don't have to drive far for anything.

Edit: just to clarify, my car's computer tells me the age of the oil in a percentage, and it runs just fine even after a year without a change of synthetic oil. It's not like old US cars that needed to have the oil changed every six months or you risked breaking down on the highway

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
I paid ~$80 once for a change at a local place. AKA, I got ripped off.

Do it myself now for about $30-40. 20 minutes of labor is fine with me.

siteseer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For those that do oil changes themselves, where do you take the old oil?
in my state (ny) you can bring used oil to the store you bought your new oil from. my town also has a giant tank next to a trash way station, you dump it yourself.

as far as pricing goings full synthetic oil itself will be about $50 for 5 quarts if you buy it yourself. i'm sure the service station will get a discount on their oil so anything over $30-40 is going to the mechanic's time and profit for the business.

Chan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't some warranties get weird if you don't have official records of oil changes? Especially those "lifetime powertrain" warranties?
They'll find anyway to deny your warranty claim, just have a receipt of your oil/filter purchase and that from my understand should suffice, lets ask our friendly neighborhood lawer........

Dealership because they pick up the car and give me a loaner.

Instead of taking us to the promised dinner at The French Laundry you do this to us?! You're basically a Pats sympathizer now you fucking ambulance chaser.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
They'll find anyway to deny your warranty claim, just have a receipt of your oil/filter purchase and that from my understand should suffice, lets ask our friendly neighborhood lawer........

Instead of taking us to the promised dinner at The French Laundry you do this to us?! You're basically a Pats sympathizer now you fucking ambulance chaser.

Woah now let's not call anyone anything they'll regret later.

Next thing you'll call him a Michael Jordan fan