Which 2D platformer has better boss battles overall?

• 2D Mario has better bosses overall

Votes: 102 28.2%
  • 2D Sonic has better bosses overall

Votes: 222 61.3%
  • Both series have equal boss quality

Votes: 26 7.2%
  • I’ve only played one of these series

Votes: 11 3.0%
  • I haven’t played either series

Votes: 1 0.3%

• Total voters

Cathode Ray

Mar 30, 2024
NYC
Each has one good entry (YI and Mania respectively) and the rest ranges from mediocrity to filth so I put that they are even. To be honest I'd prefer if both dispense with boss fights altogether from now on.

Additional hot take but I didn't think Tropical Freeze had good boss fights either. "Dodge constant, basic patterns to hit a weak point that shows up in an extremely small window of opportunity three times" is just insanely tedious and it is like the standard Retro boss design, ugh.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
For folks who feel both series have bad bosses, what 2D platformers do you think have good bosses? These should be comparable to Mario & Sonic in being stage-based and more about platforming challenges than action (e.g. no Metroidvanias). I saw Yoshi's Island mentioned which I'd agree with but feel like my standard for 2D platformer bosses is generally lower than other genres.

Megaman maybe if you're counting those?

Hoot

Nov 12, 2017
Haha, talk about two extremes.

I will still say tho that it would be Sonic. Yeah the quality is all over the fucking place (and sometimes more bad than good). But I'll say I at least will always remember doomsday zone/death egg robot or even the weird sonic 4 ones more than most mario bosses. As for "better", well I guess it depends on what quality you're measuring (if it's purely function or how memorable they are as bosses)

The mario bosses are functional but to a fault I think. In recent days they've started to add a lot more spectacle but it's still very by the books and I don't always feel they have a huge pay off.

Granted tho, I would love if Sonic bosses could finally manage to have both spectacle and not also be massive janky messes (be it in 2d or 3d)

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Nov 23, 2022
For folks who feel both series have bad bosses, what 2D platformers do you think have good bosses? These should be comparable to Mario & Sonic in being stage-based and more about platforming challenges than action (e.g. no Metroidvanias). I saw Yoshi's Island mentioned which I'd agree with but feel like my standard for 2D platformer bosses is generally lower than other genres.
Rayman Origins
Rayman Legends
Donkey Country Returns
Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze
Celeste
Yoshi's Island
Kirby Planet Robobot

Tomasoares

Oct 28, 2017
Voted for both are equal, but after reading the comments I gotta say Sonic has better bosses due to being more imaginative and creative overally.
Neither are too hard or very memorable though, except for few cases in Sonic games.

Puru

Oct 28, 2017
2d Sonic are better and more imaginative in general. Boss battles in 2d mario are honestly bottom of the barrel, 3d mario its better though but i find that both 3d mario and sonic boss fights tend to be on par.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
I mean.. besides maybe Super Mario Bros. 2 where you had variety on bosses (Mouser, Birdo, Clawgrip, etc), and different strategies of how to beat them, I don't think I could ever compliment 2D Mario bosses... not even Final Bosses.

New Super Mario Bros. DS had some interesting ones... but that's about it.

Super Mario Bros. and The Lost Levels there are barely fights. Super Mario Land 1 shakes things up a bit with a space shooter, which is nice.. Super Mario Land 2 is probably the best one in terms of freshness.

Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario World, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, 2 and U and as well Super Mario Bros. Wonder are all underwhelming on that regard.

-- Sonic gets this one by default, but just the ones that actually let you score hits whenever; and not the ones that you have to wait a long animation to play out to hit the boss once (Sonic 4, Superstars, Rush, etc). Especially with 8 hits to finish them off...

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Just remembered how the first boss of sonic 2 game gear gatekeeps you from the entire game with screen crunching one hit kills

Granted that might be a mercy

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
2D Sonic bosses usually have that fine balance of being a threat if you don't know how to fight them, and a mere speed bump if you do. Which is exactly how it should be for a speed-based platformer. The bosses you can't just blitz are the story bosses, Death Egg Robot, Knuckles, various kinds of robot Sonics. And that's fine, they get to be a problem.

Mario just hasn't really been able to find a good niche for its boss fights. I mean, sure, the final boss of Wonder is pretty good, but Mario's strengths in 2D Marios just don't lead to great boss fights. He's a jumper, not a fighter.

Jan 3, 2018
Tropical Freeze imo. Fun, challenging bosses.

Though I wouldn't say Sonic and Mario have bad bosses, just mostly unremarkable ones. I like Yoshi's Island's bosses quite a bit though.

I would like TF bosses more if they didn't overstay their welcome, especially that owl boss with 49 phases. The baboon boss was awful though.

DKC 2 bosses are all excellent.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Neither are amazing but i would at least say Classic Sonic wins out due to music and wackiness of some of its fights. The dirty secret here is that platformers lacking a dedicated attack mechanic like say, Yoshi's Island, have a hard time making truly interesting boss fights. In Sonic's favor, he can at least attack bosses unconventionally compared to many platforming characters because he can attack on the ascent of his jumps rather than having to jump up and then land on top of the boss. While many Classic Sonic fights aren't super interesting, there's something entertaining about it throwing Sonic into the boss over and over to beat the shit out of them, and they wind up being so short that they don't really impact the game one way or another imo.

Just remembered how the first boss of sonic 2 game gear gatekeeps you from the entire game with screen crunching one hit kills

Granted that might be a mercy

Just when I think I have this memory repressed it always comes back

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Only one has you go fucking super saiyan chasing your mech-equipped mortal foe through space throwing his own missile bombardments back at him with a hard af background track blaring thru it all

Yeah this boss fight alone puts it miles ahead anything the 2D Mario games have done. That shit was cinema as a kid.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I want to add that one of the Sonic Boss Fights is a game of Puyo Pop, so it just automatically wins by default for that alone.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I mean the best bosses in 2D Mario games are from Mario Maker 2.
Outside of user generated content, it would be Yoshi's Island.
I don't think anything in any Sonic reaches these 2 highs.

After that pretty much every Mario boss is trash and I feel like even the OG Sonic 1-3 are better than anything the other 2D Mario threw at us....
Maybe the final NSMBW Bowser fight which was pretty creative.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
2D Mario boss fights are kind of awful. New Super Mario Bros. (DS) might actually have the best boss lineup overall, which is really saying something.

RPG_Fanatic

Oct 25, 2017
If we are strictly talking about 2D Mario and Sonic, Sonic gets the win.

Mario 2D has mostly meh boss fights outside the final boss. Sonic 2D has a greater variety of bosses, while can result in bosses that are worse than any Mario 2D boss, the good Sonic 2D bosses outnumber the good Mario 2D bosses by a wide margin.

Oct 27, 2017
Yoshi's Island would be my pick for having the best out of any of them, but as a whole I think 2D Sonic has better bosses than 2D Mario.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I think Sonic generally having good, unique, frequent bosses is one thing that pulled me away from Mario in the 16bit era.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
For reference, here's all the Boss Battles in mainline 2D Mario games \/

- Super Mario Bros. and Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels
Fakebowser.png
SMBLL_World_D-4_Bowser_Imposter.png

- Super Mario Bros. 2 (and Super Mario Advance)
2843526-super-mario-bros-2-nes-luigi-vs-birdo.png
Mariomouse.jpg
latest

super-mario-bros-2-prg-1-u_102.jpg
image.png
Mask_Gate_W7-2_SMB2.png

DSEs8ZfXkAYTrHW.jpg

- Super Mario Bros. 3
flying-boom-boom.jpg
d9dew5a-bdfc67f8-0b96-4b94-894c-c1bdee705839.png
hqdefault.jpg

wendy-s-stylish-magic_orig.jpg
SMB3_Iggy.png
SMB3_Roy.png

SMB3_Lemmy.png
super-mario-bros-3-449-small.webp
latest

- Super Mario Land
Kingtotomesu_screenshot.png
Dragonzamasu_Battle_Screenshot.png
stone-statue-boss_orig.png
EckiZkFXoAAmB2X.png
hqdefault2.jpg

- Super Mario World
Iggy_battle_SMW.png
MortonfromSMW.png
sddefault.jpg

SMW_LudwigBattle.png
SMW_RoyBattle.png
SMW_WendyBattle.png

Larry%27sCastle.png
Donut_Secret_House_SMW.png
256px-Reznor.png
latest

- Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins
big-bird-boss-battle-super-mario-land-2-gameboy.jpg
98702dd88fce9200f307170b04ca28701ed8a61a_hq.jpg
super-mario-land-2-boss-fight-sewer-rat-nintendo-gameboy.jpg
index.php

super-mario-land-2-boss-fight-three-little-pigheads-nintendo.jpg
super-mario-land-2-boss-fight-octopus-nintendo.jpg
sc85lu.png

- New Super Mario Bros.
nsmb_w12_058.jpg
mario3.jpg
hqdefault.jpg
Cheepskipper_Battle_-_New_Super_Mario_Bros.png
640px-New-super-mario-bros-retrospective-spot-02.png
Petey_Piranha_-_Flying_-_New_Super_Mario_Bros.png
latest
Lakithunder_Battle_-_New_Super_Mario_Bros.png
World8-CastleNSMB.png
image.png

- New Super Mario Bros. Wii
maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

sfl6m6.jpg

latest

- New Super Mario Bros. 2
image.png

x1080

nsmb2dlcpack6-3.png

- New Super Mario Bros. U
image.png

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

best-2d-mario-bosses-new-super-mario-bros-u-mario-fighting-kamek.jpg

BowserJrP2.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

- Super Mario Run
latest
BowserBobombingRun_SMR.png

- Super Mario Bros. Wonder
image.png

Final_battle_5.png

Jan 3, 2018
I still can't believe how focused Wonder was on reinventing and modernizing 2D Mario and the bosses ended up worse and more underwhelming than NSMBU. And those were already underwhelming as fuck.

The 3D Mario team nailing it (with Galaxy especially) makes 2D Mario's bosses so much worse.

Absolutely baffling design decision.

Palas

Oct 29, 2017
Each has one good entry (YI and Mania respectively) and the rest ranges from mediocrity to filth so I put that they are even. To be honest I'd prefer if both dispense with boss fights altogether from now on.

Additional hot take but I didn't think Tropical Freeze had good boss fights either. "Dodge constant, basic patterns to hit a weak point that shows up in an extremely small window of opportunity three times" is just insanely tedious and it is like the standard Retro boss design, ugh.

...Of all Sonic games, you'd say MANIA has good bosses? Come on

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I think Sonic by a wide margin, especially in the early years of the franchises. One thing that separate Mario from Sonic in the 8/16-bit era was that Sonic had proper boss battles, some of them that were freakin epic and really difficult. SMB1 didn't really have boss battles, 2 did, 3 did but they were all the same mechanic, avoid the projectiles, jump on its head, until the final bowser introduced a different way to win.

Cathode Ray

Mar 30, 2024
NYC
...Of all Sonic games, you'd say MANIA has good bosses? Come on
I don't think that's particularly controversial, I feel like most people would say it has overall the best boss lineup in the 2D Sonic games even if some of them are duds.

Not as good as YI though so I probably shouldn't have lumped them together.

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
very funny cause they're both pretty damn bad but nobody seems to mind that much. The only offensive ones is when they drag, which is why everyone's bringing up Superstars, the draggiest bosses of them all. Even got a drag-on dragon final boss ffs.

Even if Sonic wins here and Mario's bosses are like 9/10 times boring (still has Yoshi's Island which are all good to great, best Mario btw), Sonic cursed itself by having such a good final boss in Doomsday Zone they kind of ruined all concepts of final bosses for Sonic going forward cause they all have to be Doomsday Zone now.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
This is an easy win for Sonic, maybe the easiest other than music. Boss fights have always been one of 2D Mario's weakest aspects. Superstars is the only 2D Sonic game I can think of that probably has worse boss fights on the whole than your typical 2D Mario game

Palas

Oct 29, 2017
I don't think that's particularly controversial, I feel like most people would say it has overall the best boss lineup in the 2D Sonic games even if some of them are duds.

Not as good as YI though so I probably shouldn't have lumped them together.

Being a Sonic community regular, this strikes me as almost otherworldly, since Mania makes a point of dragging out its bosses (not like Superstars of course).

Sonic Advance 2 and Sonic Rush Adventure have good bosses too

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
I remember every single boss in Sonic Mania whereas I barely remember most of the bosses in 2D Mario games, so I have to give it to Sonic. Who can forget random Mean Bean Machine?

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
I obviously won't list every 2D Sonic game bosses, because there are much more 2D Sonic games out there than there are 2D Mario games.. but, on that metric, they also have much worse designed bosses proportionally. All the Dimps made games and Superstars really don't do any favors for Sonic there... then there's stuff like the 8-Bit games (worse if you play them on Game Gear and not Master System)

This little fella from Sonic Chaos is particularly pathetic
MechaGreenHillBoss.png

Do 3D Blast and Labyrinth goes in the list? they are isometric, but still 2D games... what about SpinBall? These have some terrible bosses as well

And I don't know if I like the tradition of beating Sonic bosses in 8 Hits, honestly. Some of the Genesis games are actually rewarding if you learn how to beat them quickly before they even do anything, but when this tradition comes to the later games where bosses only let you score a hit once after a long animation, that's no fun.

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
I honestly think they are both pretty bad at that tbh. In mario they are basic to the point of dullness, and in sonic they usually dont go well with how he moves. But i think sonic is usually more inventive with them.

If you count yoshis island, then mario would win, but i dont think you should.