• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Worse bounty system?

• Red Dead Redemption 2

Votes: 327 47.5%
  • Assassins Creed Odyssey

Votes: 101 14.7%
  • Both Bad

Votes: 177 25.7%
  • Both Great

Votes: 84 12.2%

• Total voters

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Both terrible and happened to come out right next to each other.

In Odyssey: You can steal something with nobody in sight and increase your bounty. Usual jank of NPCs doing dumb stuff and you paying for it. The leveling system makes it where you probably should run away from most fights instead of killing them. And sometimes they will appear during missions where you really, really dont want to run away and waste your time.

In Red Dead Redemption 2: The game is not consistent with your face mask. It matters when they say it matters. You can get trouble for stuff with nobody around. You can get in trouble for actually doing good deeds. I was returning an escaped prisoner to the sheriff and got in trouble because someone went and told the sheriff. Random gangs will attack you and get you in trouble. Random fights will get you in trouble. It's really a mess.

If I had to pick I'd say RDR2 is worse. Odyssey feels more gamey so it's more forgivable. But RDR2 feels like they put all these details and systems into the game only to drop the ball on the bounty system.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
RDR2's is definitely worse. I just paid a $75 bounty because I was helping someone getting harassed out on the road.

And being Wanted just because you defended yourself against hostile enemies is the worst.

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Red Dead 2, by far, because the consequences are much more dire.

It's a game about crime where I never commit crimes unless I'm absolutely forced to, because you can't get away with anything. Stealing from random shacks in the middle of nowhere, defending yourself from an aggressor, even killing other outlaws can net you a bounty if it's done outside of missions.

It's extremely frustrating given how "logical" the game is supposed to be. Prime example: There's a certain NPC that is holding someone captive in their cellar. I know this person is there (they've asked for my help), but it looks like the only way to free them is to rob their captor, which guarantees a bounty. What's worse, there happens to be a narrative reason that would allow my character to confront this person in a legal manner, but the game refuses to acknowledge it.

RDR2 is a game that always forces the player to take the path of most resistance, even if it means throwing BS at them.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
You realise that to get away with a crime as well as wearing the mask you have to ride a horse that area doesn't associate with you, and dress in an outfit the town hasn't seen you in before? Changing facial hair also helps.

I think the RDR2 system is great. It stops the videogamey "cover you mouth and do what you like" syndrome creeping in, whilst actually making you think about how to approach it.

The accidental stuff can be an annoyance. I was wanted for literally brushing a civilian with my horse....

SlickShoes

Oct 27, 2017
RDR2's is definitely worse. I just paid a $75 bounty because I was helping someone getting harassed out on the road.

And being Wanted just because you defended yourself against hostile enemies is the worst.

Yeah, I don't really understand how it's ended up the way it is. Someone punches you and if you fight back you get punished for it, makes no sense.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It does feel slightly half baked in Odyssey, at least in terms of your level going up when you steal something and nobody is around. But otherwise it's manageable, you can run away from the hunters or pay down your bounty on the quick end.

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
In over 60 hours with Assassin's Creed Odyssey:

• I've never seen my bounty increase when there was no one to see me steal/kill some one.
  • I've never had anything NPCs did affect my bounty.
  • I've never had a mercenary sent after me who was unkillable due to level difference. I've encountered them, but they've never come after me.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
RDR2's by a country mile. I'm still unclear as to how I'm getting a bounty put on my when i have the handkerchief on during the crime and no living witnesses.

Skeleton

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I don't really understand how it's ended up the way it is. Someone punches you and if you fight back you get punished for it, makes no sense.

it rubs the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again.

Basically summaries how i deal with being shot at or beaten up, after I got to around $750 owing in bounties.

It's a stupid system, I accidentally shot a wall got a bounty, I had had enough of this rubbish and killed a whole town.

Also in missions you're looting and suddenly the crime that not a soul survived is reported by what Lassie or some shit?

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not having any issues with the bounty system in RDR2 so I'll go with Odyssey which I found incredibly annoying. Nothing worse than having a bunch of enemies tethered to you in the world.

Oct 25, 2017
It'd have to be RDR2. While they're both kind of wonky, Odyssey's actually results in interesting gameplay situations. RDR2's is just frustrating and feels broken.

Oct 27, 2017

• I've never seen my bounty increase when there was no one to see me steal/kill some one.
  • I've never had a mercenary sent after me who was unkillable due to level difference. I've encountered them, but they've never come after me.

I have 50 hours and all 3 have happened to me at literally the same time. I got hit by a random NPC fighting off a bear which pulled aggro on me for no fucking reason. So while I'm fighting the bear and the person, a mercenary gets sent after me and the fucking mercenary is a Tier 2 out of nowhere who proceeds to slap my shit. I got frustrated and had to put the game down for the night. I haven't played RDR2 yet, but there's no way it can be worse than Odyssey's.

Raxious

Oct 27, 2017
You realise that to get away with a crime as well as wearing the mask you have to ride a horse that area doesn't associate with you, and dress in an outfit the town hasn't seen you in before? Changing facial hair also helps.

I think the RDR2 system is great. It stops the videogamey "cover you mouth and do what you like" syndrome creeping in, whilst actually making you think about how to approach it.

The accidental stuff can be an annoyance. I was wanted for literally brushing a civilian with my horse....

This, I feel like the RDR2 system is much better than that of Odyssey. I haven't run into most of the problems people mention here. Also, there are full facial masks you can obtain that make it so people can not identify your face at all.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I keep running into civilians who dont believe in getting out of the way of a horse running right at them, and get charged with murder. what a bunch of snowflakes.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
I was returning an escaped prisoner to the sheriff and got in trouble because someone went and told the sheriff
6lP3gPZ.png

-2B-

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Sep 23, 2018
I have not had any issues with AC's system. RDR2 I bumped into a guy with my horse and now the whole town wants me dead.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017

Same. But i'm not surprised seeing the one who's complaining about it.

Spartancarver

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ruins the game in Odyssey. Disappointed that RDR2 has an issue with its system, hopefully it's patched by the time I get to it

Oct 25, 2017
OP should probably mention that in AC Odyssey you can pay your bounty at any time (literally, you do it in the map menu) and can also kill the person who posted it to erase your bounty. It's much more manageable than RDR2.

Last edited:

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Odyssey. The god damn game literally spawns mercs in your face. Several of them. During story mode assasinations.

ODDI

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't played Odyssey but most of the minor stuff can be defused in RDRII by just talking to the sheriff.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
RDR2, it's seemingly random, inconsistent...and quite annoying. I'm always ready to jump back to an older save file because the game messed something up which really wasn't my fault.

Oct 27, 2017
OP should probably mention you can pay your bounty at any time (literally, you do it in the map menu) and can also kill the person who posted it to erase your bounty. It's much more manageable than RDR2.

While this is true, this only affects the mercenaries, not anyone aggroed on you at the moment. You could run away, pay off the bounty, and then accidentally run in front of another enemy and here comes the murder machine running back at you like the Terminator lol.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
Having only played RDR2 out of the 2, so that one.

I can't believe that you get a bounty for helping people or a bounty for stuff that is out of your control, like a dog jumping into your horse for example. Screw this system.

Cokie Bear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it's too bad in Odyssey because the bounties are dirt cheap to pay off. I think the system as a whole is a waste of time and doesn't add anything interesting to the game, but it's no big deal to pay off the bounties once in a while.

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
RDR2 is absurd, because it's a mix of realistic elements and utter nonsense. It's between guessing which realistic elements are actually taken into account and which are not. So, you can be recognized through the mask, but entire town can also waqnt you dead cuz you accidentally bumped into someone.

And you can't really use "logic" and "common sense" cuz game, even a super realistic one, is still an abstraction. RDR may care about what clothing you wore, but if for example, it may not care that you have a very recognizeable rifle with speciifc engravings. And common sense says that "yeah, they gonna recognize you if you wear the same shit" BUUUUT, it's also as valid to say "they should be able to recognize this very notable riffle with a bunch of personalization you wear openly"... Both are valid points and are common sense, but game takes one into account and not the other.

So it's just wrestling with this mess of "guess what devs did bother to code in and what they didn't"

Oct 27, 2017
I havent played Odyssey yet but RDR2's system annoys the shit out of me. As part of a sidequest a guy started fighting me so I beat him up and then some asshole started running to taddle to the sheriff. I caught up with him and then he pulled a gun and I beat the shit out of him too. I got the fuck out of there before some other idiot taddled on me. This happens WAY too often.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah rdr2 is pretty bad. Haven't played odysee. Way too many times I'll accidtally run into someone a bit on my horse, next thing I know I'm either shot dead or if I kill everyone pissed at me a $95 bounty.

I also was trying to help some girl move a body out of the saloon and ended up with like 6 cops on horses shooting at me.

HypedBulborb

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The bounty system is really unstable in RDR2, getting shot at and getting a huge bounty when you accidently bump into someone (I blame the wonky controls for that) is not fun and not how it should work.

I hate that you can commit a crime in the middle of nowhere and became wantedX it's dumb as hell.

Also this, so annoying. In the middle of the forest, no one around and still wanted and getting an increased bounty. It has to be a bug, I can't believe they missed this during testing.

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't had problems with RDR2's bounty system. There have been a few times where I did something that alerted lawmen, but I hid a body away from the main road or talked my way out of it when the lawmen confronted me as I was leaving the scene. Defending myself from random fights and shootouts doesn't mean witnesses would side with me, as they may just see that I'm the only one who just fucking murdered everyone.

Also, it's best to never fight back against lawmen, if you like keeping your money high and your bounty low...

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They're both great imo. RDR2 introduces randomness and chaos for whatever you might do, it's an inconvenience at most but it does add some realism to the world.

AC:O's merc system adds tension as well as choices on how you will tackle a fort etc. It's basically a 'punishment' and a 'reward'. For the former it punishes you on making sloppy choices as well as a reward since mercs are loot pinata

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
I haven't played Odyssey but RDR2 has annoyed me in short time I played it. I had to steal money from a cabin fireplace which was fine. Then I took all the stuff in the cabin still fine. Then I opened a lock box and I was wanted. This cabin was in the middle of nowhere and no-one was around. I'd also stolen already as part of the quest. So utterly stupid and annoying.

sersteven

Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia
I don't care about the bounty system in RDR2 so much as I care about the morality issues.

If I walk up on some hostile dude, and he starts shooting at me, and I kill him in self defense, IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE, why do I get negative moral points for killing him and taking his stuff.

They completely missed the mark there and it makes playing to the moral compass just unfun, getting dinged for stuff that is totally uncessary.

It makes sense in the old west that you'd get a bounty for killing, even in defense, but the game's moral system needs to ease up.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I don't understand what Rockstar was thinking because their system is wack. You get a bounty for defending yourself. Guy starts opening fire at you, you open fire back and kill them, bounty. Steal something in the middle of nowhere and you can get a bounty. You can't do anything bad in a game that promotes you to do good or bad because the cost is way to high. Unlike GTA you can't have fun and be a bad person because it will fuck you over for a loooong time.

Rikucrafter

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Australia
I've been really frustrated with Red Dead's. Accidentally knocking someone with the horse has people out to fucking kill me instead of allowing me to just apologise and hope the guy moves on. I've loved AC Odyssey's on the other hand, given me a lot of great enemies to fight.

Oct 25, 2017

I'm not that far into the game but I've been doing the above and haven't had an issue with RDR2s system so far.

ashtaar

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't had that many issues with rdr2 yet, I also didn't know about changing clothes so people don't recognize you that makes sense
Ac:odd is annoying because you can kill everyone with no witnesses and you'll still get a bounty, luckily you can usually run away from them. Never ran into a mercenary that was trying to kill me that was red skulled or whatever

RumbleHumble

Oct 27, 2017
RDR's is SUPER punitive. Arthur tells his crew "You go on ahead, I'm going to loot the place for what they got" after raising an O'Driscoll camp. After one minute of looting, the CRIME REPORTED sign shows up and you either book it out, or you deal with killing all the lawmen and dealing with the additional bounty increase. Even though no one actually saw you kill the law men. I love the game, but I guess I'll just have to get used to the giant bounties.

EDIT: ACO's system is also wonky, but the bounties are crazy cheap and I dont feel nearly as bad about the murder in general.

Last edited:

verygooster

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I haven't played Odyssey but RDR2 has annoyed me in short time I played it. I had to steal money from a cabin fireplace which was fine. Then I took all the stuff in the cabin still fine. Then I opened a lock box and I was wanted. This cabin was in the middle of nowhere and no-one was around. I'd also stolen already as part of the quest. So utterly stupid and annoying.

This happened to me also when I did that mission. I couldn't figure out if there was someone somewhere in the woods who saw me (because Morgan tells the gang he'll catch up to them later) among a litter of corpses and went to tell someone or it was a scripted event that just happens. It was really weird.

Spazerbeam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
I have no idea how the RDR2 is supposed to work, I robbed a train with a new outfit, with a full mask, killed everyone on board stealthy, and i got a $300 bounty. The train was still moving.

Popetita

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
TX|PR
I'd say readi g about it both are good.

No opinion on Odyssey as I haven't played it yet.

On RDR2 it ia good. You get a bounty for screwing up and I am not sure about the mask stuff as it has never glitched for me. If you do a crime with the mask on you are not single out if you cane scape the area. I like it.

It sucks that normal actions may trigger civilians or the law but usually I have always been to blame for those.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
There was a bounty of 150$ on my head. I walked right into the Sheriff's office to get bounty hunt for myself. I greeted him nicely, he greeted back; didn't bat an eye. I took of, got that crazy woman, claimed the bounty. Still no attempts to arrest me. What a great time it must have been to live in!