• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Worse bounty system?

• Red Dead Redemption 2

Votes: 327 47.5%
  • Assassins Creed Odyssey

Votes: 101 14.7%
  • Both Bad

Votes: 177 25.7%
  • Both Great

Votes: 84 12.2%

• Total voters

HypedBulborb

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
That's also the thing, when you get wanted, basically the only option is to run because if you stay and fight you're bounty will increase no matter what. Even when you kill all of the witnesses, it's stupid and a HUGE oversight.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
I'd say readi g about it both are good.

No opinion on Odyssey as I haven't played it yet.

On RDR2 it ia good. You get a bounty for screwing up and I am not sure about the mask stuff as it has never glitched for me. If you do a crime with the mask on you are not single out if you cane scape the area. I like it.

It sucks that normal actions may trigger civilians or the law but usually I have always been to blame for those.

Yeah it's great getting a bounty for opening a lockbox in the middle of nowhere, where no-one can see you and you have already stolen money and killed 20 men. Really immersive.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Odyssey's is fine, except for regular citizens jumping in to fight me cause I nicked them with my sword. Suddenly the whole town wants to fight you and you have five mercenaries on your ass.

There seem to be a lot of nuances to RDR2 bounty system but it definitey has more consequences which I like.

Deleted member 41178

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 18, 2018
You realise that to get away with a crime as well as wearing the mask you have to ride a horse that area doesn't associate with you, and dress in an outfit the town hasn't seen you in before? Changing facial hair also helps.

I think the RDR2 system is great. It stops the videogamey "cover you mouth and do what you like" syndrome creeping in, whilst actually making you think about how to approach it.

The accidental stuff can be an annoyance. I was wanted for literally brushing a civilian with my horse....

Yeah I've noticed that since changing my appearance more often, using the masks I purchased from one of the fences, changing my hair styles, mixing up my guns, using one of the saddleless horses from the camp I get away with a lot more crimes.

Also waiting around for a Sheriff after a fight and defusing the situation usually works for me if I wasn't the one to start the fight.

RumbleHumble

Oct 27, 2017
There was a bounty of 150$ on my head. I walked right into the Sheriff's office to get bounty hunt for myself. I greeted him nicely, he greeted back; didn't bat an eye. I took of, got that crazy woman, claimed the bounty. Still no attempts to arrest me. What a great time it must have been to live in!
That's the other odd thing. The bounty system doesnt feel all that tethered to the atmosphere of the world itself. It just adds bounty hunters who bother you when you're doing other stuff.

Oct 26, 2017
I actively hate Odyssey's, I'm only minorly inconvenienced by RDR2's. There's some kinks to work out but I, personally, haven't come across anything that bad.

I usually throw the full face mask on, do the crime, and then go to a hiding spot/ leave the area then switch clothes or hairsryle. Usually if a crime gets reported it says "suspect unknown" and I don't get a bounty after the wanted elapses.

I haven't run into any of the weird accidental bounties mentioned above.

Zero-ELEC

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
In Odyssey: You can steal something with nobody in sight and increase your bounty. Usual jank of NPCs doing dumb stuff and you paying for it. The leveling system makes it where you probably should run away from most fights instead of killing them. And sometimes they will appear during missions where you really, really dont want to run away and waste your time.
Either there was an NPC looking at you or the game glitched out, because stealing has been super consistent for me. And them appearing during missions I think is fun. Had a fight against a boss where a bounty hunter appeared and attacked the boss first before coming after me. You also don't get bounties unless you actually kill people or invade a fort and are seen doing so.

And the great thing is that if you don't want to deal with the bounty you can just pay it off from the map screen and that's super cheap.

I do have some issues with NPCs/quest givers getting angry at me because I did quest objectives that they asked in front of them but that's not part of the bounty system.

JK-Money

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But RDR2 has a system where you can wait for the law and explain yourself?
I am going to start the game tonight, how well does that go trying to explain your way out of it whether it be: a fight, you murder someone but you plead you didnt do it etc?

Feb 10, 2018
Have not played odyessy but RDR2s is a bit flawed, I got pick pocketed , so I ran after the guy and lassoed him and retrieved my stolen money, I then picked him up and was going to deliver him to the law, but I got reported for kidnapping lol.

semiconscious

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
The bounty system is really unstable in RDR2, getting shot at and getting a huge bounty when you accidently bump into someone (I blame the wonky controls for that) is not fun and not how it should work.

Also this, so annoying. In the middle of the forest, no one around and still wanted and getting an increased bounty. It has to be a bug, I can't believe they missed this during testing.

was this kind of stuff not mentioned in reviews? my copy's in the mail right now, but this sounds pretty awful...

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
You realise that to get away with a crime as well as wearing the mask you have to ride a horse that area doesn't associate with you, and dress in an outfit the town hasn't seen you in before? Changing facial hair also helps.

I think the RDR2 system is great. It stops the videogamey "cover you mouth and do what you like" syndrome creeping in, whilst actually making you think about how to approach it.

The accidental stuff can be an annoyance. I was wanted for literally brushing a civilian with my horse....

When do they explain those mechanics? I also never learned you could upgrade your camp via the ledger until I accidentally opened it, also saving the outfits in the horse, I knew about that when I was looking for Flaco Hernandez and was freezing my ass off and was looking through the item wheel for something to warm up.

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a game about crime where I never commit crimes unless I'm absolutely forced to, because you can't get away with anything. Stealing from random shacks in the middle of nowhere, defending yourself from an aggressor, even killing other outlaws can net you a bounty if it's done outside of missions.

It's extremely frustrating given how "logical" the game is supposed to be. Prime example: There's a certain NPC that is holding someone captive in their cellar. I know this person is there (they've asked for my help), but it looks like the only way to free them is to rob their captor, which guarantees a bounty. What's worse, there happens to be a narrative reason that would allow my character to confront this person in a legal manner, but the game refuses to acknowledge it.
I actually killed the guy in charge and couldn't find a way to get down there. Somehow there was no bounty even though I blew the guy away in the middle of a town.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
It's been great in Odyssey. Love the way it ties into being an actual mercenary/thief with leaders getting pissed off and wanting you dead. Along with the Cult targets everywhere it really makes Origins feel a little empty and static in comparison even though I loved Origins.

OP
OP
ckareset

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
When do they explain those mechanics? I also never learned you could upgrade your camp via the ledger until I accidentally opened it, also saving the outfits in the horse, I knew about that when I was looking for Flaco Hernandez and was freezing my ass off and was looking through the item wheel for something to warm up.
There is a prompt when the lawmen show up. I got mine after a story mission

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
Live with the bounty. You are after all an outlaw.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
RDR2 is the absolute worse as it has no rhyme or reason. You get in trouble for doing nothing at all, you get in trouble for accidentally bumping into randos. And, your mask is useless. Somehow the system is worse than RDR1, a game from last gen.

RDR1's system was just as terrible, yet at least you understood that wearing a mask doesn't protect you from a bounty (even though that makes no sense), but what it does do is stop you from either losing or gaining honor. In RDR2, your mask does nothing besides let you roleplay a bandit.

Schlomo

Oct 25, 2017
I've never had any problem with it in Odyssey, probably because I'm careful fighting around civilians (who can admittedly be a bit suicidal) and only steal while no one's watching. 50 h in and I never once payed to remove the bounty and only killed one of the bounty sponsors once.

Deleted member 11995

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Ah dammit, Red Dead has one of these bloody bounty systems as well, where the player is punished in all sorts of ridiculous ways that make no sense?

Why. Just why. The one in Odyssey is quite literally the 'No Fun Allowed' system. Clearing out a huge enemy fort all stealthy? Cool. You better hope nobody spots you and draws you into a loud fight, because if they do then you can very quickly find yourself surrounded by mercenaries that have magically teleported to your position and will respawn forever and totally overwhelm you. How do these mercenaries instantly know that someone is killing soldiers in a random fort somewhere? Fuck you, that's how. Why do the soldiers in said fort attack the player (a mercenary) on sight, but not the other mercenaries, that want to help them for some bloody reason? Fuck you, that's why. It's complete and utter garbage.

Another nonsensical example of how bad it is? How about when you're attacked by a ship out on the sea. You can fight back and defend yourself, sure. But you will get a wanted level for sinking that ship. You know, the one that attacked you first. Why does the player get a wanted level there? Did someone survive and quickly post about the fight on Twitter as they floated amongst the wreckage in the Aegean Sea? Why do you get a wanted level?

Fuck you. That's all.

Seriously terrible gameplay system. It's one and only saving grace is that you can pause the game and pay off your bounty in the menu instantly, whenever it hits you.

But again, just why. If you can't properly set up a system like this, so that it has rules which actually make sense and which the player can follow... I mean, just don't put it in the bloody game!

Who wants that drama? Outside of one or two weirdos who will probably reply in this thread.

That really bums me out, to hear that Red Dead has the same kind of shit. I was looking forward to it as well.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Isn't this topic/poll a bit early? Most people are still in early parts of RDR2 story where as most people who wanted to play Odyssey have probably finished it by now.

So obviously this poll will be heavily skewed against RDR2 as most people are still learning mechanics of this very complex game.

If you did this poll in a couple of month results might look very different!

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
Both are kind of wonky, but I think lots of folks hate the fact that you either have to pay or kill all witnesses in RDR2 to get out of one (or a possible one).

Adam_Roman

Oct 25, 2017
I'm okay with AC's. Early on it made me consider stealth way more as an AC game should, and as I got more rich instead of seeking out the guy who put up the bounty, I'd just pay it off if my wanted level got too out of hand.

HypedBulborb

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Isn't this topic/poll a bit early? Most people are still in early parts of RDR2 story where as most people who wanted to play Odyssey have probably finished it by now.

So obviously this poll will be heavily skewed against RDR2 as most people are still learning mechanics of this very complex game.

If you did this poll in a couple of month results might look very different!

Not really, because even if you are a few hours into RDR2 you can see why the bounty system isn't working properly and just isn't fun. I am only 8 hours in and have had a lot of instances where my bounties didn't make any sense.

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
In my 40+ hours with RDR2 I haven't had many issues with it.

In my 50+ hours with Odyssey it was beyond bad. Every single time you got in a fight several bounty hunters would show up and the fight would take ten times longer than usual. It was implemented so badly even at times during story missions that featured walking with someone they would show up and attack me.

I mean people can hate on Red Dead's system all they want but if they think it's even remotely close to being worse than Odyssey's then I don't even know what to say.

Spartancarver

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Odyssey. The god damn game literally spawns mercs in your face. Several of them. During story mode assasinations.

This. It's so bafflingly stupid.

Doesn't matter if you set a trap on the Fort's alarm so they can't call for help. As soon as you are detected, 3+ Mercs magically spawn on you.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
People need to wear the masks instead of the bandanas in RDR2. That's made it much easier for me.

Deleted member 4037

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Havent played odyssey, but RDR2's bounty system is abysmal. It made me reset the entire game because it was so bad and just threw me in a hole for no reason

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Why. Just why. The one in Odyssey is quite literally the 'No Fun Allowed' system. Clearing out a huge enemy fort all stealthy? Cool. You better hope nobody spots you and draws you into a loud fight, because if they do then you can very quickly find yourself surrounded by mercenaries that have magically teleported to your position and will respawn forever and totally overwhelm you. How do these mercenaries instantly know that someone is killing soldiers in a random fort somewhere? Fuck you, that's how..

If you people want to complain about something, at least make sense

How do they know people are attacking a fort? Because they lit a bloody fucking fire to call the mercenaries which is also the reason why they don't attack them. The AI is already dumb enough but you're complaining about the only thing that makes sense

Doesn't matter if you set a trap on the Fort's alarm so they can't call for help. As soon as you are detected, 3+ Mercs magically spawn on you.

Which also answer this post. Yes it does matter if you set a trap on a fort - your bounty will still increase for killing soldier and a leader and nearby mercenaries might come after you, but the spawning mechanic most hate only happen when the enemy succesfully light the fire. Do it stealthly (which is pretty easy)? No reinforcements, no mercs. Enemy found you but you killed him before he could alarm someone else? No mercs. Enemy found you, alarmed someone else but you killed him before he succesfully lit the signal fire? No mercs. You only get mercs when you suck at the game. Maybe the fault isnt the game, but you.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

I mean do they need to? In real life would you consider that a bandana that covers your mouth would allow you to be "unidentifiable?"

There is a certain logic to it. It does fall down at parts. Like where a random witness can identify you, yet would walk past you and say "howdeee mister" or something. I think the system could be better in that it could not always identify you specifically but bring the "law" out looking for suspects. It is designed the way it is IMO to avoid the game being people simply going round and murdering everyone and everything in sight without a passing glance.

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also this, so annoying. In the middle of the forest, no one around and still wanted and getting an increased bounty. It has to be a bug, I can't believe they missed this during testing.

considering that you can get the police after you in gta v for killing someone in the desert with a silencer, it seems to be that this is the way they want it to be.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Rockstar created a game that encourages and forces you to be a villain, and then penalizes you massively for doing so.

You're forced to run, because killing your pursuers just escalates it, and you still then need to pay off the bounty.

It's fucking absurd that I got a bounty for accidentally nudging an NPC with my horse. Are you kidding me?

How can a bounty on me increase if Noone sees me kill all my pursuers?

For all the bloody detail in the world, how on earth can they overlook this. Everyone is going on about how Rockstar want this to be an outlaw simulator and immerse you in their life, yet it is a massive PITA to do anything bad.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Can't comment on Red Dead, but the system in Odyssey is far from terrible. If you're getting caught stealing, you're doing a shit job making sure no one is around. I can count on one hand how many times my bounty went up from that compared to how it went up because I killed a civilian.

rocket

Oct 27, 2017
That mask thing in RDR2 really breaks the entire robbing store thing.

They always knew it is YOU who did it with or without the mask, until the "script" said wearing a mask matters.

The mask is just a prop and literally have no gameplay impact....but at the same time they put in so much efforts into the game to make sure you are wearing the "correct" clothing for the climate....

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't played Odyssey but most of the minor stuff can be defused in RDRII by just talking to the sheriff.
Really? I'm early in the game so I'd like to know more. Are you saying that if the law is searching for me I can just approach the sheriff and he won't draw a gun at me?

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I mean do they need to? In real life would you consider that a bandana that covers your mouth would allow you to be "unidentifiable?"

There is a certain logic to it. It does fall down at parts. Like where a random witness can identify you, yet would walk past you and say "howdeee mister" or something. I think the system could be better in that it could not always identify you specifically but bring the "law" out looking for suspects. It is designed the way it is IMO to avoid the game being people simply going round and murdering everyone and everything in sight without a passing glance.

That depends on the game, how do I know how complex are they implementing the bounty system if they don't setup the rules? How come I can't just break the door of the general store after they closed and rob the stuff there?

Maybe I'm complaining because I don't have as much time as I did to play these kind of games and don't want to guess every mechanic, then again, I don't remember having any issues at all with RDR.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
you learn how to do this in an early story mission...

Spartancarver

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You only get mercs when you suck at the game. Maybe the fault isnt the game, but you.

Lol fuck off with this elitist bullshit. The game goes out of its way to make direct combat a completely viable option and then shoots itself in the foot with the bounty system.

The merc system in Odyssey is objectively bad. That's a fact. It is poorly implemented.

There is no way to spin it that makes multiple overleveled mercs magically teleporting to your position a good mechanic.

The other post you quoted nailed it. It is the No Fun Allowed system. The rest of your post made no sense at all.

Deleted member 11995

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
If you people want to complain about something, at least make sense

How do they know people are attacking a fort? Because they lit a bloody fucking fire to call the mercenaries which is also the reason why they don't attack them. The AI is already dumb enough but you're complaining about the only thing that makes sense

Which also answer this post. Yes it does matter if you set a trap on a fort - your bounty will still increase for killing soldier and a leader and nearby mercenaries might come after you, but the spawning mechanic most hate only happen when the enemy succesfully light the fire. Do it stealthly (which is pretty easy)? No reinforcements, no mercs. Enemy found you but you killed him before he could alarm someone else? No mercs. Enemy found you, alarmed someone else but you killed him before he succesfully lit the signal fire? No mercs. You only get mercs when you suck at the game. Maybe the fault isnt the game, but you.

I always trap the alarm. Always. And I've had the mercs spawn on me like flies on shit when it went south. More than once.

It's a garbage system that works in nonsensical ways.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played Odyssey yet, so I'll refrain from commenting on it, but the system in Red Dead Redemption 2 is hot trash. I actually appreciate the move towards realism in terms of trying to handle the bounty system, but it looks like Rockstar just picked and chose where they want to be realistic, and where they want to retain gamey elements. The end result is that there's no consistency to it, and the player gets overtly punished (and therefore frustrated) across the board for just playing the game. Defending yourself against a hostile NPC can get you a bounty, but you never see said NPC get a bounty. Killing all witnesses gets you a bounty anyway, and it doesn't matter where you were or how isolated you were, the game will give you a bounty if you overstep its ill defined bounds.
It takes away agency completely- you're playing an open world game with all these systems at play, but you better fucking play it the way Rockstar wants you to play, or you're going to be dinged to kingdom come.