• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Best stable of IP

• Nintendo

Votes: 1,665 70.1%
  • Microsoft

Votes: 66 2.8%
  • Sony

Votes: 549 23.1%
  • Ouya

Votes: 94 4.0%

• Total voters

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Most people buy Nintendo consoles for Nintendo games so the answer is obviously Nintendo.

I could rate MS second using that logic because Halo was a true system seller for the OG Xbox. But that doesn't seem to be the case for the next 2 gens. And Sony's support is amazing for this gen so I will give it to them for slowly building up to this over the past few decades.

OP
OP

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
I'm not a fan of Nintendo but the answer is Nintendo. They're pretty much built on first party IPs.

Microsoft has alot to, but they don't use em.

I voted for Ouya
No disrespect, but that's the point of the thread. Regardless of if they're used or not, who has the best selection of IPs by whatever metric you value. The output is meaningless to the conversation.

GalvoAg

Oct 30, 2017
Dallas
It's Nintendo even though I enjoy Sony more now and in the near horizon of what's coming out. Mario and Zelda alone do it for Nintendo. I personally think a lot of their stuff goes into the same category but their names are the biggest.

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
For me, Nintendo has more IP's I like and more importantly, more that are active.

Nintendo- Mario 3D, Mario 2D, Zelda, Metroid, Kirby, Splatoon, Chibi Robo, Wario 2D, Donkey Kong, Pushmo, Mario Golf, Yoshi, Luigi's Mansion, Fatal Frame, Sin & Punishment, Trace Memory/Another Code, Hotel Dusk/The Last Window, Xenoblade, Captain Toad, NES Remix, Mario Kart, F-Zero, Kid Icarus, Paper Mario, Mario & Luigi, Pilotwings, Star Fox, Warioware, The Last Story, Pandora's Tower, Pokemon Snap.

Sony- Ape Escape, Gravity Rush, Wild Arms, Siren, Hot Shots Golf, Jak & Daxter, Ratchet & Clank, Jumping Flash, LocoRoco, Tomba, Boku no Natsuyasumi, Dark Cloud, Genji, Wipeout, Mister Mosquito, Devil Dice/Bombastic, Alundra, Ico/Sotc/Last Guardian, Rogue Galaxy.

Microsoft- Banjo-Kazooie, Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, Crackdown, Psychonauts, Fable, Blinx.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 56752

Banned
May 15, 2019
For me, Nintendo has more IP's I like and more importantly, more that are active.

Nintendo- Mario 3D, Mario 2D, Zelda, Metroid, Kirby, Splatoon, Chibi Robo, Wario 2D, Donkey Kong, Pushmo, Mario Golf, Yoshi, Luigi's Mansion, Fatal Frame, Sin & Punishment, Trace Memory/Another Code, Hotel Dusk/The Last Window, Xenoblade, Captain Toad, NES Remix, Mario Kart, F-Zero, Kid Icarus, Paper Mario, Mario & Luigi, Pilotwings, Star Fox, Warioware, The Last Story, Pandora's Tower.

Sony- Ape Escape, Gravity Rush, Wild Arms, Siren, Hot Shots Golf, Jak & Daxter, Ratchet & Clank, Jumping Flash, LocoRoco, Tomba, Boku no Natsuyasumi, Dark Cloud, Genji, Wipeout, Mister Mosquito, Devil Dice/Bombastic, Alundra, Ico/Sotc/Last Guardian, Rogue Galaxy.

Microsoft- Banjo-Kazooie, Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, Crackdown, Psychonauts, Fable, Blinx.
man you listed a paragraph of awesome nintendo ip and didn't write pokemon. wild times

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo.

Other than F-Zero and Earthbound, we havent seen as much output from older IPs from Sony like Arc the Lad, Wild Arms, Syphon Filter, Jak, Sly, etc.

Microsoft's worst with Halo, Gears and Forza mainly being the constantly worked on IPs while rest of their other IPs the majority are sleepers like Rareware platformer IPs, Fable, etc.
Those two actually had fairly high budget mobile revivals with a lot of their original staff returning. Arc the Lad was actually kind of good too, though I fell off it after like a week anyway.

I think I'm looking at this question differently to a lot of folks. Like, if we go monetary value or how recognizable they are, it's obviously Nintendo, but if we take the developers out of the equation like the OP posits, can a lot of you honestly say you think Mario, Donkey Kong, Kirby, etc are very interesting outside of the insane quality control exercised over them across the decades? If a Warner Bros or whatever bought all the Nintendo IP, fired their staff, and then made new entries, would they be interesting projects, just because of the iconography and names?

I love a loooot of Mario, but I think of him as more of a skin you slap over whatever interesting game you want to make at the time rather than anything inherently interesting by himself.

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
As much as I have come around to Nintendo, I would have to say that Sony's IP are just more exciting to me. An announcement for a new Bloodborne, inFamous, Uncharted, God of War, Resistance, TLOU, Days Gone, Ratchet & Clank would do way more for me than any Nintendo series. As much as I want a new Donkey Kong and Paper Mario, they don't seem to be coming.

Delio

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo wins it for me. Just more IPs I care about and fit my tastes. Plus the staying power of all of them are insane. (even if Nintendo doesnt use all of them)

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
It's Nintendo and it's not even close. Main reason I still buy their handhelds and hybrids. The other guys I just buy wherever Resident Evil, Persona and Final Fantasy show up.

Jaxar

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I'm more of a Playstation gamer but even I had to vote Nintendo still because they have for many years now survived almost solely on the strengths of their own IP. That has to count for something pretty big IMO.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know how anyone in good conscience can vote for anyone but Nintendo. They have a legendary stable of not just IPs--but actual series that still run to this day, and have for decades. Like 'em or not, there's no beating them any time soon.

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Nintendo's IPs have been around longer, sony's first party efforts only started hitting their stride since last generation. So it makes sense most people would vote for nintendo.

but personally, I like the sony IPs more as their games resonate with me more.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I don't see how this is a serious question. Taking Nintendo out of the equation and digging in to comparing Sony and Microsoft's IP stables would be more interesting, tough even that has surely been asked before.

One thing I'm noticing about Sony these days -- largely thanks to folks in this thread who are listing Uncharted, The Last of Us, Horizon, and God of War as their choice cuts -- is that a whole lot of their current prominent IPs all fall into basically the same genre. That's a big problem for me, as I figure scope and variety would be a pretty significant part of answering this question.

danrbg

Banned
Dec 9, 2018
Nintendo, then Microsoft. Halo, Gears and Forza we will always see in any version of Xbox such as Mario, Zelda and Pokemon on Nintendo.

clickKunst

Dec 18, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Nintendo has been leaning on a staple of characters for many decades while Sony didn't make enough in-roads towards securing their most iconic characters. It is utterly ridiculous that Sony doesn't own Crash Bandicoot or Spyro. Where's Ape Escape? Where's Jak and Daxter? Where's numerous other stars of the PS1, PS2 and PS3 that haven't crossed over into the PS4?

Microsoft is just as bad. This company owns iconic IP and does utterly nothing with them or even worse...

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo has a larger collection of legacy ips but of those, I'm only interested in Zelda and Metroid. So personally for me, I think Sony has the greater variety and are consistently as good, if not better.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I don't think I could even name more than five Sony IP that are relevant in 2019.

Their strength has always been their third party connections, as shown by the PlayStation Classic's utter lack of...classics.

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo has so many dormant franchises at this point that I'm curious what the full breadth of their IP actually is. If every IP they owned got an installment on Switch, how many genres would be covered?

I'd actually like to see the same for both MIcrosoft and Sony. I imagine both companies have more than I realize.

For my tastes, Nintendo is my answer. Too many of Sony's games don't appeal to me. I think Microsoft might actually come out ahead for me with Rare and some of their other franchises.

Miles Davis

Alt account
Banned
Jun 22, 2019
I mean definitely not Nintendo in my book this gen. I preferred almost everything on the Wii and Wii U gens preferably in emu's at 4K. They are neck and neck with Sony then. But Sony wins out after that. They have some really damn fine IPs that cover every aspect of gaming. Nintendo does not have those ready to go.

As for IPs in general well shit Nintendo has a lot. They just don't do much with them.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Nintendo has the biggest and best ip catalog. Microsoft is second, though under-utilized and hopefully we see them dig into it more next gen.

Sony has had some good one offs this gen but much of the IP that defined them on ps1/2 are now multiplatform and their current IP like uncharted, or last of us are stories best told in a few games or one offs.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
You're kidding, right?

Ask yourself this: which had the better first party characters, Smash Ultimate, or PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale?

That's what I thought.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo has been relying on many of the same IPs since the 1980s and 1990s. And they are still huge. That's more than you can say for Sony and Microsoft.

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo, easily. The only MS property I care about is Halo (but I fuggin LOVE Halo) and I can't think of any Sony properties that I care about.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I feel like some of y'all are forgetting Microsoft has all of the Rare IP too.
Not to mention stuff like Age of Empires, Fable, Forza, Gears of War, Halo, MechWarrior, Minecraft, Rise of Nations, Wasteland and Wizards & Warriors. I mean, I can understand how people might PREFER Nintendo's or Sony's offerings, but Microsoft's really getting the short end of the stick in terms of people so much as considering just how many amazing IPs the company owns.

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
Alot of you don't seem to understand the question, which is telling.

It's not a question of value, just a question of what you like. So stop shitting on people who didn't vote nintendo, lol

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo literally survived a gen without 3rd party, and their classic consoles shit all over its competitors. I don't know how else will anyone think its not Nintendo.