• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which Movie has the better songs?

• Frozen

Votes: 107 22.9%
  • Moana

Votes: 361 77.1%

• Total voters

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Elsa is the best character, and Let it Go the best song, in Disney (film?) history.

If you have a long road trip lined up, there's a really good spotify playlist that's just Let it Go in 25 different languages that I recommend.

Waffles

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Definitely Moana. I think Let It Go is the best song of the bunch, but I think the feel of the other Frozen songs is just so scattered. They sound like they are all from different movies if that makes sense. Moana is more consistent, and all the songs feel like they belong together.

Also, In Summer is dreadful and Josh Gad needs to stop singing.

StylesTrip

Oct 27, 2017
Frozen has Love Is An Open Door...but Moana has Shiny so I'm going with Moana.

Bonus points to Moana because of You're Welcome.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Moana, and it's not even close.

As someone with a 3 year old girl who has watched both movies way too much. Moana is an amazing movie, Frozen is entirely forgettable outside of a scene or two.

Still hyped for Frozen 2 though, so...

CrocodileGrin

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Moana, and it's no where even close. Let It Go is definitely a S-tier Disney song and Do You Want to Build a Snowman also does it's thing of setting up the main character plot of the movie, but that's really all that Frozen has going for it. Moana is probably my favorite Disney film since Up. It's consistent with its music and also tells a better story than Elsa's tale, meanwhile, Frozen seems to get lost in itself in the second and final act.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Shiny is such a fucking banger that it alone seals Frozen's fate. Glad OP pointed it out.

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
We Know the Way is the best song, and this video explains why

Also, Moana automatically wins on the basis of giving us Jemaine Clement singing in Māori

Deleted member 17952

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I take it you're not a Bowie fan, then?

Lots of great opinions in this thread. I actually watched both Frozen and Moana today (and most days, since I have a 4 year old and the Disney Deluxe app). I agree that Moana is far more consistent overall, but maybe doesn't reach the highs of Frozen. Moana is probably my favorite Disney animated movie though. Probably seen it 80 times now and I'm still not tired of it.

And as a huge Star Wars fan, Moana comes off as a more well-crafted telling of TFA+TLJ. I know it's a somewhat typical hero's journey story, but there are tons of parallels.
I have no idea who Bowie is. All I know is without any context of who sang the song, "Shiny" was just a terrible Disney song which doesn't gel in with the rest of the movie. Owe owe and You're Welcome are what I think are good songs in Moana that perfectly fit in with the theme and the pacing.

Cubo

May 14, 2018
I have no idea who Bowie is. All I know is without any context of who sang the song, "Shiny" was just a terrible Disney song which doesn't gel in with the rest of the movie. Owe owe and You're Welcome are what I think are good songs in Moana that perfectly fit in with the theme and the pacing.

What?? Is this a joke???????? On topic, I think Shiny is great, it is indeed a Disney take on Bowie and I love it for that, and I also love the whole scene as some quirky and twisted musical villain moment.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Moana, no question. Way better songs. I can listen to the entire Moana OST. The only song I liked in Frozen was Let it Go.

clemenx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Venezuela
Frozen.

Moana is a better movie but there's a reason Frozen got bigger. Frozen is big enough that it is cool to hate in this forum, I guess.

Deleted member 17952

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What?? Is this a joke???????? On topic, I think Shiny is great, it is indeed a Disney take on Bowie and I love it for that, and I also love the whole scene as some quirky and twisted musical villain moment.
By Bowie, do you all mean David Bowie? I'm only familiar with him from Metal Gear Solid 5 soundtracks.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Shiny is an amazing song. It sounded familiar but the Bowie influence never occurred to me until this thread.

Moana is great.

DarthSpider

The Fallen
Nov 15, 2017
Hiroshima, Japan

I'll grant you that it is a bit jarring and weird, but man I fucking love it. Shiny isn't the best song in Moana, but it's easily my favorite. Jemaine Clement from Flight of the Concords sings it. I think David Bowie was actually supposed to sing it, but of course he passed away.

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
Moana and it's not close. "Do You Want To Build A Snowman" is very good, but it's an outlier. Meanwhile, every song in Moana is fantastic. It even has a better native language song. "You're Welcome" and "How Far I'll Go" get all the press, and they're both great, but "Where You Are" is crazy. There's more character development and tying into themes in just that song than in the entirety of a lot of movies.

The music in Tangled is extremely underrated, by the way. It's excellent.

Skiptastic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Moana is my vote. I don't think any of the vocal songs in there are weak, while Frozen has that "Fixer Upper" song which I think is pretty weak.

But both are pretty amazing. Frozen has a ton of great songs.

Cubo

May 14, 2018
By Bowie, do you all mean David Bowie? I'm only familiar with him from Metal Gear Solid 5 soundtracks.

Yes, that Bowie. He is one of the greatest musicians ever to live! If you ever check his music out (which I of course recommend to) you'll see the "tribute" thing we are talking about. Maybe you'll like the song a bit more :P

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Does Frozen even have a villain song? Been a while since i watched it

genjiZERO

Banned
Jan 27, 2019
Richmond
I haven't seen Moana, but the music in Frozen is horrid. It's just mid range, loud, and sounds like it was written to chart top-40.

H2intensity

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Moana, its better than Frozen in all aspects. Moana music has a lot varieties and fantastic.

digit_zero

Oct 27, 2017
I literally only remember Let It Go from Frozen vs Moana having a deep set of songs, so Moana easily.

May be some bias though, since I've seen Moana a lot but I've only seen Frozen once because I thought the movie on a whole was surprisingly bad.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I prefer Frozen's songs but they are both quite good. Life's too short is the best song written for either film and they didn't even use it
Does Frozen even have a villain song? Been a while since i watched it
No, Hans' only song is Love is an Open Door and Elsa's parts in the reprisal of For the First Time in Forever are more of a tragic hero's song than a villain's song

Last edited:

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
Frozen.

Of course.

Also a way better and more original movie. Moana started fresh but ended up as an extended, dull traversal scene at sea.

Some OK songs in Moana but mostly forgettable. The thing about Frozen though is that there are ma ny better songs than Let It Go. Never been huge on Let it Go, but For the First Time in Forever + reprise? Classic

Atrophis

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who hates musicals and has no love for Disney musicals in particular, it's Moana. Amazing film. Amazing music.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I use to think Frozen had great music but most of it is just okay. Moana's songs were great except for the Rocks because he can't sing.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
Frozen has 3 very good Disney songs, PLUS "Reindeers are better than people", which is a lot. But Moana's soundtrack is much better as a whole work. It tells the story so well, with themes and leitmotives shared during the whole soundtrack in a beautiful way. It's just so well thought out and written, I would just listen to the songs in the soundtrack to relive the movie and it worked so well. Lin Manuel Miranda did a great job.
This. I love Frozen and while Let it Go was overplayed to hell it's still an incredible tune. I think For the First Time in Forever (Reprise) is underrated. That said there isn't a bad track on the Moana OST and while it's great to listen to stand alone it's also all there to serve the story and move things on.

E.Balboa

Oct 30, 2017
Florianópolis, Brazil
Being from Brazil and having to listen to portuguese versions of both soundtracks a million billion times because of my 10yo and 4yo kids, I'd say Moana was much better translated, thus that's my pick.

Brazilian Portuguese versions of Moana's songs are a blast (You're welcome - "De Nada" particularly), with awesome voice actors/singers. That alone propells it much forward than the lame Frozen translation that we got over here (if you're curious, check "Livre Estou" - Let It Go.. awful translation and awful vocals). Only Olaf's song is properly awesome.

If we're talking specifically about the English version OST, I'd say Frozen is a tad better, if only because The Rock singing was pretty bad while Anna's Song and Life is an Open Door were both incredibly good.

https://youtu.be/oIfXG_kscH4 --> De Nada

https://youtu.be/Xn9AMQb5OBU --> Livre Estou

dreams

Oct 25, 2017
I was extremely scared to see the poll results, but Era, sometimes you're alright.

Moana wins by an extreme landslide. "Let It Go" isn't even that great, but "Where You Are" and "How Far I'll Go" are the goat. (Also Shiny is amazing and anyone who doesn't like it hates fun)