Which describes your switch hardware choices?

• OG switch + lite

Votes: 52 6.3%
  • Just sticking with OG switch

Votes: 495 59.7%
  • Getting switch lite only

Votes: 55 6.6%
  • Getting updated Switch only

Votes: 107 12.9%
  • Getting updated Switch and a switch lite

Votes: 26 3.1%
  • Sticking with OG switch and getting an updated switch

Votes: 41 4.9%
  • Other

Votes: 53 6.4%

• Total voters

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
There is no reason what so ever for me to buy a new Switch. Battery has never been a problem for me.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I dont have a Switch

Getting the Updated Switch for sure this holiday (November) just in time for Pokemon ;)

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty much done with Switch unless Metroid Prime 4 really knocks it out the park. Then I'll have to rebuy one.

LuigiV

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Perth, Australia
The updated switch is tempting, since I play 90% undocked but ultimately I don't think I can justify dropping that much cash on a minor update.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Have a switch since launch but most likely will get a Lite as well to keep for travel since I fly so much. Extra space in the bag plus a bit of extra battery seems pretty good. But will wait for reviews of the hardware.

Kubricks

Oct 31, 2017
No incentive for me to "upgrade", since I do play both dock and handheld lite make no sense to me, while the updated Switch bring nothing to the table; battery life was never a problem on the OG for me anyway.

I guess I will wait till The Witcher 3 is out later this year and see if the updated Switch runs the game any better. I am not talking about graphical upgrade but rather some improvement on loading times or slightly less pop-in or whatnot. If it does then I will get an updated version, but not until this is verified.

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
The battery life on the OG is sufficient for whenever I play handheld, and it's not like I'm going anywhere where I can't charge it.

Prince Abubu

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 13, 2019
United States
Sticking with OG.

If I ever experience Joy-Con drifting, I'll sell and upgrade to the one with the better battery, instead of buying a new Joy-Con.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Sticking with the OG until a pro version comes.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't own a Switch, but the Lite defeats the purpose of the Switch in my mind. The newer Switch isn't enough of an upgrade from the original for me to justify the purchase. I'll wait for Switch 2.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
if they eventually release a see-through purple Lite i might get it

but until then, im holding until the next major update, whether it be Switch 2 or Pro or whathaveyou

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Other: Will upgrade to a new model "full" Switch if there's ever a limited edition Animal Crossing or Zelda one I like. I'd even really consider the Dragon Quest one if it got a release stateside but I'm not holding my breath on that.

EDIT: Would buy a dockable Switch Lite if it ever became a thing. The smaller form factor is nice for on the go, IMO, but I can't lose out on TV play.

Yesterday

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If people are confused about people buying multiple switches they should see how many 3DS' Ive ended up buying

Schlep

Oct 29, 2017
I will most likely get the updated Switch. Cell phone/tablet batteries start to degrade pretty noticeably between years 2 and 3, and I expect the Switch is the same. Might as well refresh.

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
Really wanted to pull the trigger on the Lite, but now I'm worried about stick drift on these. At least with the OG version you can swap your joycons if drift becomes a major issue.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Tough decision for me.
I do want another Switch since I eventually plan on Homebrewing my launch Switch.

But I dont need another one anytime soon (I'll wait for hacking in Android to have full instructions), so I doubt I'll get a Lite or an Updated Switch for a while.

I think I'll stick with the main Switch. I rarely ever use Docked mode, but I like a larger screen on my handhelds, and the extra battery would be nice.
But I gotta say I like the look and the portability of the Lite.

I think I'll wait for the first Special Edition if the new ones that I like. Either the Updated Switch with unique color Joycons (maybe a Metroid Prime 4 color bundle?), or a special edition Lite I like (the Pokemon one announced is really nice, but I dont need one so soon).

Nov 8, 2017
If I ever get a Switch, it will be the updated one, but I'm currently eyeing an Oculus Quest and don't really want to buy two new gaming systems so quickly.

I know it'll never happen, but I'd jump straight on a non-portable Switch with no screen/battery and a reduced price. I couldn't give a shit about portability and I'd rather not pay for features that I'll never use.

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
The bigger battery briefly tempted me but I want that dpad so the lite. Plus it's cheaper and a preferable size.

GasProblem

Prophet of Truth
Nov 18, 2017
Undecided if I want to spent €50 to go from my OG Switch to this one. I do get a Joycon refresh though...And some extra battery life. I never play my Switch while on transit though, it's almost always atleast near the dock.

I don't know, I'll see how I'll feel in September.

Switch Lite? Not with the build quality of the analog sticks.

not_smiff

Oct 31, 2017
Other: Waiting on Pro model. Might buy a lite in the meantime. Handheld gaming needs to return to my life.

xxbrothawizxx

Nov 1, 2017
Gainesville, FL
I'd love the extra battery life, but I just don't really care enough to upgrade.

Lite really looks like a raw deal now imo.

Pro if it happens, but I really question its existence when this updated model is pretty much what I expected of Pro. Or I at least question the biggest selling point for me: an appreciable increase in power. Maybe it really is going to be a 4K console or it's just a system with better materials and an Oled.

Have to wonder how much Nintendo really cares about hardware sales other than thosed aimed at expanding the userbase (cheaper models) when they might be making the similar profit off the sales a 1P game or two. I guess past XL models and the New 3DS say otherwise, but with games now costing $60 and the stellar attachment rate Switch has, it must seem less appealing. At the same time, new models have more of an effect than solely profit/unit.

Ultimately, Ikmi

Last edited:

unicornKnight

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
I can't justify a new switch considering how little i play it(I'm trying to put more focus on it though). So nothing for me...
This. I'm fine the way it is now, the bigger battery would be nice but not worth it upgrading, it would cost me a lot.
I'd also like a Lite but also not worth getting it. My OG Switch is fine and it's getting a lot of use lately.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
None of them. The hardware and games are still too expensive here (3Ă— what I typically pay for PC games, for a much worse experience), and the removal of TV-out means I'll never buy the Lite model.
With updated Wi-Fi hardware, TV-out, and support for streaming services (Steam Link in particular) I'd have considered a Lite.
If they had a "Pro" model which could run existing games at 60 FPS, maybe that, but better hardware doesn't fix the game prices. Maybe I'll get one at the end of its life, as I did with the 3DS.
The only way I could justify the cost is if I had a long commute every day. Then the premium for portability starts to be worth it.

Mashy

Oct 28, 2017
My OG switch is fine. Might get a new set of joy cons soon but not too concerned as the pro controller is great. I'm down for a switch pro if it ever comes though. The lite just isn't worth it.

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
My OG Switch was acting up a few months before the cloud saves went live, but I think one of the stability updates fixed it since it stopped awhile back. If it does go I'll probably get the one with improved battery life but in no rush to replace it yet.

mrglcs

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I sold my Switch last November but right now I really really want one again. I'll probably wait for the updated OG before buying one again though. I also hope Nintendo will finally address the Joycon issue.

Lauscher

Nov 13, 2017
I recently bought an og switch after waiting for ever for an announcement on the revisions... well talk about bad timing :P
But honestly I am not to salty about it since the lite doesn't support tv out and hasn't seen any improvement to the ergonomics of handheld mode. That might be an unpopular opinion but I think the switch is a huge downgrade from the WiiU gamepad regarding ergonomics.
The battery bump on the new switch would have been nice but since I play it docked most of the time I don't really need it.

Dodoow

Oct 30, 2017
New updated switch for me and lite for my girlfriend. I will probably sell my old one.

Just one question,
When I'll buy the new switch and will transfer everything, is the time played still counting directly after the transfer?

So let's say you've played a game on the old switch for 10 hours will it continue counting or will it restart? and just shows 10 hours played till you played it on the new switch for 15 hours and show 15 hours which in reality is in total 25 hours.

iswasdoes

Nov 13, 2017
Londinium
If there is some high value bundle this Black Friday I may get an updated one and follow through on my threat to home brew my original

Trouble is, if homebrew works as good as I think it will I will have no need for the updated one

EVA-02

Alt account
Banned
Jul 19, 2019
Selling my Day one Switch for the updated version, that battery life upgrade is too good to pass on