• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
From recent memory I loved Xc2, Octopath and to a lesser extent P5.

Baten Kaitos games, Xc1, the Bravely games and SMTIV are really good too.

My biggest question is why Bamco didn't evolve the Graces F combat system instead of replacing it for far inferior versions. The game is not that good but the combats felt responsive and fast (which is what Tales of usually try), playing right now Vesperia feels like a big regression from Berseria and especially Graces F.

I stopped playing the series after Graces F, I played Xillia and I COULD NOT believe that they dropped the incredible battle system.

Bye Tales of series, I won't miss you.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Don't want to he rude, but i think you shouldn't have made a poll just to put likely random games and exclude most of what's considered great battle system wise in the genre.

I would say Grandia 3 is clearly better than 2 and Shadow Hearts From the new world light years better than Covenant in the combat department. You can disagree but that's why a poll with so few options do not make sense.

On topic: Press Turn Battle system is my favorite in the jrpg genre and SMT 3: Nocturne is still the best version of it.

OP
OP
SantaC

SantaC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Surprised that FFX-2 battle system isnt getting more love. Was really loved at the old forum.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, it's between Graces f, Xenoblade, and Grandia Xtreme, the latter two being shafted in favor of Xenoblade X and Grandia II options for no good reason.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I played Xillia and I COULD NOT believe that they dropped the incredible battle system.
Xillia was a regression for sure, but even so it feels far better than Vesperia. The way the enemies literally walk away from combos, the way your character gets stuck in a enemy "line", the insane amount of time the enemies are completelly invincible with no visual indicator...

Oct 25, 2017
Xillia was a regression for sure, but even so it feels far better than Vesperia. The way the enemies literally walk away from combos, the way your character gets stuck in a enemy "line", the insane amount of time the enemies are completelly invincible with no visual indicator...

Vesperia is super bad, people like it for some reason. It might have been nice when it came out and I do love some of the characters but the story isn't that special either, it aged super badly.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I forgot to say that I love the combat in Kiseki games too. It's not balanced at all (you can basically abuse Arc Slash in Cold Steel 1, and the 2-turn invincibility from Graham in the Third) but it's a ton of fun. Also pushing the enemies out of reach with Titat's mech never gets old.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is Pokemon not on there because of the SP stipulation? The games are still SP in spite of the MP component...

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Legend of Dragoon and Shadows Hearts II definitely get runners up positions for me as well. If they had actually gotten a chance to develop further I might actually put them over BKO.

Oct 31, 2017
Baten Kaitos Origins
EDIT: forgot Bravely series
and Trails of Cold Steel
Final Fantasy XIII/XIII-2/X-2/....and tbh XV even though it's really flawed
Grandia III
Kingdom Hearts 2
The Last Story
Resonance of Fate
Shadow Hearts series
Star Ocean 3
Tales of the Abyss
Valkyrie Profile series
Xenosaga II

I didn't vote in your poll because the options are weird. Like why Grandia II when Grandia III's battle system exists?

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Star Ocean 3 and the Grandia games.

Oh yea and Graces F

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
Octopath's Break and Boost system was heavenly. Persona 5's system I also enjoyed but not as much as Octopath.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
Voted for Grandia II. I think it's a great mixture of strategy with the tension of a real time system. I imagine a 2019 updated version of those ideas would be pretty amazing.

I have a feeling many of the "Other" votes are for Souls games, but I respect you OP for not including them because I don't think they are JRPG's other than a semantic and narrow interpretation of the phrase.

Deleted member 51845

user requested account closure
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
Octopath with it's boost system was engaging and made a constant risk reward.

Paper Mario kept you active with mini rythem games and input blocking.

I'd be very happy if these two could somehow combine.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Valkyrie Profile 2 imo. RoF was good and fun but totally exploitable once you know what you are doing.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I really love Xenoblade Chronicle 2/Torna's system. On auto, it lets me focus on party makeup, aux cores, pouch contents, weapon types, etc., and then see how it all works out when I press A to engage. I can always turn it off if I want to go full manual, it allows me to turn off QTEs, turn off aggro, adjust difficulty, etc. It's as manual or automatic as you want, which has given me a very late appreciation for what was done in FF12 and FF13.

Edit: Also agree on Panzer Dragoon Saga's. Man, that was good!

Oct 31, 2017
I don't get the praise for XII's battle system. It's well-made and there's a shit load of customization options but I wouldn't call it "fun."

Also the Zodiac License Board is horrendous, at least in the PS4 version. You can't change your jobs, you can screw yourself out of certain good licenses, and then there's stupid stuff like a White Mage not being able to fully unlock Remedy Lore. Like that makes any sense

toythatkills

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK
Grandia II, of all the options you could have given us? Grandia 3 basically perfects the turn-based battle system (in unfortunately the worst Grandia game).

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Most defiently not.

Autoplay the single player MMO the game.

FF X has by far the best turn based gameplay.

Tales of Graces+++ was also great.

FF10 is rock-paper-scissors gameplay for 80% of the game and the remaining 20% is abusing quick hit and grinding to redesign the whole sphere grid in order to catch up to the stats race of superbosses. FF10 is more autoplay than FF12 will ever be.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
Breath of Fire IV handled multiple party members perfectly and it is a shame that system is not listed in that poll or more lauded for what he went out to accomplish

zMiiChy-

Dec 12, 2017
Why the hell is Star Ocean till the end of Time on there?
I don't want to be rude, but that's gross >.>

Also, if Pokémon is disqualified due to the multiplayer components the Tales of series should be as well
o.e

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
FF10 is rock-paper-scissors gameplay for 80% of the game and the remaining 20% is abusing quick hit and grinding to redesign the whole sphere grid in order to catch up to the stats race of superbosses. FF10 is more autoplay than FF12 will ever be.
FF X employs tactics and the battle order emphasizes that even more. Of course you can cheese it - like you can in almost goddamn every game there is. That doesn't distract from the fact that the basis is incredible sound and fun.

NZerker12

Oct 25, 2017
Had to choose between Xenoblade X and Persona 5 but went with X.

But where's Xenoblade 2, Trails of Cold Steel 2, Xenoblade 1, Trails in the Sky SC.

Hell, where's Pokemon?

Waxy

Oct 27, 2017
Out of the games I've played on that list I'd say FF7. However I'd say octopath traveler probably has my favorite turn based mechanics

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
I'm still a big fan of the systems in both Shadow Hearts and Legend of Dragoon.

Maybe I'm just a fan of getting the timing down.