• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NiceOne

Alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The choices I have in mind aren't even in the list lol.

If I had to pick a vote, it'll be one of these: Kingdom Hearts 2: Final Mix, Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 6: Brave New World, Breath of Fire 5: Dragon Quarter and Cosmic Star Heroine. But as I have at least 6 potential picks, I choose not partake into this poll (sorry OP).

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
Mega Man Battle Network's is the peak of the genre for me. It's a beautiful implementation of a "card" battle system. You create a deck of chips that store all sorts of offensive, defensive and support abilities that you find, earn and buy, and you're given a random assortment of them each turn. As soon as the turn starts, you can move freely on your side of the board, while the enemies can move on their side. You start out with a 3x3 grid on each side, but there are plenty of moves allow you to steal extra columns from your opponent, or damage or change the properties of their tiles. Some attacks are short range, some long range, and some attack only areas that are a specific distance away from you. This grid-based system allows for engaging combat reaction is as important as your planned actions. It's a type of battle system where you don't need to just take token damage, and turning the whole thing into a slow war of attrition. The cherry on top is that the wealth of options just increases with each iteration too.

Ulx4Rqw.png

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
Oops, my bad. I suppose I inferred the "active" in ATB meant a battle system where you actively move around in real time with light turn-based elements, but looks like I've had it switched around all this time. What would FF15's combat be identified? A-JRPG? ARPG?
Basically every FF combat system gets it's own name, XV is the "Active X Battle (AXB)" system

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Oops, my bad. I suppose I inferred the "active" in ATB meant a battle system where you actively move around in real time with light turn-based elements, but looks like I've had it switched around all this time. What would FF15's combat be identified? A-JRPG? ARPG?

They officially refer to it as Active X Battle (AXB), but most people will just say ARPG or action/real time battle. Coincidentally there is a mode where you can make it more traditional, but it never felt right to me.

Tailzo

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017
Grandia 2 was pretty awesome. I am eager to buy that remaster for switch.

RicJFNas

Oct 28, 2017
Not seeing Panzer Dragoon Saga there bums me out, but of those ones there my vote goes to Shadow Hearts Covenant.

Boddy

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For action combat it got to KH2FM, followed by FF13-3.

For turn based its hard to say, since there are so many amazing ones out there,so I'm just going to name a few that come to mind right now:
Bravely default/second
Octopath Traveler
Paper Mario TTYD
The last Remnant
FF12

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Cosmic Star Heroine and I'm not even joking.

If we're talking classic, it's probably Chrono Trigger. Simple but fun. Star Ocean 3 has a really fun combat, but it gets old after a while. Valkyrie Profile, TTYD, and FFVII are all great as well.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Other. The options in the poll are really odd.

SMT, Pokémon and Octopath Traveler are my go to when it comes to most enjoyable battle systems in JRPG. I usually don't like long battles, although there are some exceptions (like Xenoblade Chronicles 2/Torna that past the initial confusion on what to do, it gets addictive)

Worth mentioning Persona 5 battle system is entirely taken from previous SMT games.

Last edited:

Shibi

Oct 25, 2017
While the game left a bit to be desired elsewhere, I was always very fond of Lightning Returns's battle system.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
Where's Pokemon? The most popular jrpg series of all time with the best battle system

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i want to pick FFXII based on its concept alone but playing Zodiac Age i felt it was more the beginning of something great rather than outright great. ideally we'd be playing FFXVIII with by now with some super refined variation of it but they took a different direction obvs

i'd say X-2 was pretty amazing and refined if i have to go on battle system alone.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
I voted other. It's hard for me to decide, and I'm not really feeling the options.

As for what's listed, I would probably go with Grandia II or FF XII. And instead of Star Ocean: Till the End of Time, I think Last Hope actually has a better battle system, and is one of the redeeming qualities of the game.

But really, this is too hard for me to decide, as there isn't a clear winner for me, but rather a lot of different systems that do some things really well.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
The correct answer is Mega Man Battle Network, a system that somehow is not wildly influential for reasons that escape me

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Shin Megami Tensei 3 (press turn, baby), Digital Devil Saga 1 and Digital Devil Saga 2 (press turn again), SMTIV: Apocalypse (which is basically SMT4's battle system, but better), Final Fantasy XII, Final Fantasy Tactics and Vagrant Story are my favourites. So addictive and add so much to their boss battles because their systems are so well implemented.

EDIT: Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter's was fun too.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Smiled to see our game mentioned a couple times.

The poll doesn't have a great list. FF7 might be one of the most popular games of all-time, but it has a bog-standard combat system. Series like Shadow Hearts & Grandia, the most popular game is listed, not the game in the series with the best version of the battle system.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Smiled to see our game mentioned a couple times.

The poll doesn't have a great list. FF7 might be one of the most popular games of all-time, but it has a bog-standard combat system. Series like Shadow Hearts & Grandia, the most popular game is listed, not the game in the series with the best version of the battle system.

It depends if you count the Materia system as part of the battle system or not

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
Mana Khemia 1, but it's not there.

Also Persona 5's battle system over SMTIII or IV's battle systems is a really weird choice.

dharmapolice

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed but what does "weakness diamtric system" even mean ?

Also my answer is KH2 Final Mix and FF XIII.

I struggled to find a way to explain it- basically the system in X where enemy types have a weakness corresponding to various characters, thus forcing the player to constantly swap- Auron can only hurt armored enemies, Tidus takes the fleshy ones, Wakka does flying things, Lulu attacks creatures with elemental defence. Yuna cures or nukes and Khimari is your dog.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Of turn-based JRPGs, The Last Remnant is the best IMO. It has a grand scale that I love in JRPGs, and is basically Final Fantasy 1's combat system brought to life. It's superb.

Of real-time ones, hrm... I don't genuinely love any of them, but Xenoblade Chronicles (or X) is closest. It turns an MMO-style trinity system into something surprisingly fun given the limitations of the platforms it's on.

zoku88

Oct 27, 2017
I personally prefer the original VP's battle system over the sequel.

My favorite turn based might be SMT4:A though. I like the addition of the whole smirk thing.

dedacc

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ouf. I'm honestly a bit torn here, but I generally prefer turn-based systems, especially when playing a party. Final Fantasy XII and Xenoblade are great hybrid systems (yes those can be good), but action is best left to games where you just play a single character (unless Ys).

Picks are a bit odd though, no mention of grid-oriented turn-based systems like in SRPG is baffling to me.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
Cosmic Star Heroine and I'm not even joking.
Good pull. It took me the entirety of the first planet to warm up to it, but once it clicked, it became the star of the game. The reason I was a little hesitant early on, was because the battle system treated attacks like resources, and you had to waste a turn to recharge them. I feared that it would be a constant thing I'd have to carefully baby-sit and break my head over, but that worry went away as soon as I unlocked more abilities. Speaking of which, the rate you learned new abilities at, was pleasantly high. The abilities themselves were also pretty unique, which I appreciate immensely. The cast itself is rather large for the game's length too, and every party member worked very differently from the rest. Usually when you see this wealth of bespoke options, you can strap yourself in for a long, drawn-out game, but instead CSH takes the Chrono Trigger approach and shows restraint.

gigaslash

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Lightning Returns. Perfect blend of fast pacing, complexity (esp on Hard), customization and familiarity.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Why are FFVII and Valkyrie Profile 2 in there? Also Star Ocean 3 probably has the worst combat in the Star Ocean games

I might be tempted to say Grandia 2

GroovySnake

Jun 10, 2018
USA
I'm gonna go with Final Fantasy XV at the moment, though I do still love turn-based stuff like DQ XI, and dig the Tales combat like in my ol' fav Symphonia. It's an especially subjective thing, since a lot of it is style, and really just whatever you still find fun after hundreds of battles. Since JRPGs are for me more about the journey, characters, story, and vibe, combat is just one of the pieces.

Elephant

Nov 2, 2017
Nottingham, UK
I'm not surprised that the poll is being used as a popularity contest. Even though I agree P5 is a great game, it's not top.

And FFXII doesn't belong anywhere near the top if you've played any of the other games.