svnty6rs3

May 13, 2020
Microsoft is launching with Assassin's Creed which is a huge title and Gears Tactics which is new to console. I think those are the two big titles in addition to all the enhanced BC stuff that is free if you own the Xbox One versions or have Game Pass. So to say they're launching with nothing big is disingenuous. Maybe nothing that suits you, but that's another story.

IF you're only talking about the first year then Halo Infinite IS coming in that time frame. And that game is bigger than any other XSX or PS5 title launching in that time frame. Yes, it would have been nice to have it at launch but it'll be there within a year of launch.
Halo being bigger than anything launching on PS5 in this first year is debatable. There are some big games coming out on the Playstation side which have been huge sellers.

Here's to hoping there's some secret games under development coming in 2021.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
Got ya but Starfield was announced in 2018. If it comes in 2021, that would be amazing and i'd hop all over it though and would definitely help flesh out the first party lineup in 2021.

www.youtube.com

Starfield – Official Announcement Teaser

Discover Starfield, the new space epic currently in development by Bethesda Game Studios. Starfield is the first new franchise in twenty-five years from the ...
It doesn't matter when it was announced. Elder Scrolls 6 was announced in 2018 too, but nothing was revealed so that announcement doesn't count. BGS just clarified that they're still working on single-player games after FO76, to quell the fans' fears. It wasn't a real reveal for Starfield. We still know nothing about the game.

Dringus

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I'm still hyped for the new xbox but it's definitely a bummer that the only thing I have to look forward to at launch is an old game expansion (destiny 2)

svnty6rs3

May 13, 2020
It doesn't matter when it was announced. Elder Scrolls 6 was announced in 2018 too, but nothing was revealed so that announcement doesn't count. BGS just clarified that they're still working on single-player games after FO76, to quell the fans' fears. It wasn't a real reveal for Starfield. We still know nothing about the game.

I responded to your message where you literally said the below about how BGS announces games close to launch now and that maybe they will still do that with Starfield and just let you know that it was announced a long time ago. Now you are saying it doesn't matter when it was announced? Isn't that exactly what we are talking about? Announcing games for 2021?

It's not unusual for Bethesda to announce games in the same year they're releasing it. In fact, going by BGS's recent track record (game reveals 5 months before release for Fallout 4 and Fallout 76), they might release Starfield as soon as March 2021 if they reveal it now. Not saying that they will, but there's been precedents. Several precedents.

svnty6rs3

May 13, 2020
Starfield is reasonably expected to be 2021.
Flight Simulator is also an absolutely big, next gen game
Starfield is reasonably expected to be 2021.
Flight Simulator is also an absolutely big, next gen game
Starfield is definitely huge and hopefully it does come out in 2021. Love everything Bethesda.

In terms of flight simulator being absolutely big, not sure i would count something estimated to sell 2 million over 3 years to be in the same league as some of these other games we are talking about.

www.vg247.com

Microsoft Flight Simulator is expected to produce $2.6 billion in hardware sales

Recent analysis suggests that Microsoft Flight Simulator is expected to generate over $2.6 billion in hardware sales over the next three years.

Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft is launching with Assassin's Creed which is a huge title and Gears Tactics which is new to console. I think those are the two big titles in addition to all the enhanced BC stuff that is free if you own the Xbox One versions or have Game Pass. So to say they're launching with nothing big is disingenuous. Maybe nothing that suits you, but that's another story.

IF you're only talking about the first year then Halo Infinite IS coming in that time frame. And that game is bigger than any other XSX or PS5 title launching in that time frame. Yes, it would have been nice to have it at launch but it'll be there within a year of launch.
Halo 5 likely sold less than Horizon Zero Dawn or God of War PS4.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
I responded to your message where you literally said the below about how BGS announces games close to launch now and that maybe they will still do that with Starfield and just let you know that it was announced a long time ago. Now you are saying it doesn't matter when it was announced? Isn't that exactly what we are talking about? Announcing games for 2021?
I talked specifically about game reveals if you reread my message, not game announcements. The fact that Starfield and TES6 were technically announced in 2018 changes nothing, because they were not revealed. Those were simply a roadmap of Bethesda future titles. Pete Hines literally said that they "announced" them so early to let the fans know that FO76 was an outlier for them and they are still making single-player games. We can still expect BGS release games shortly after they are truly revealed. Neither Starfield nor TES6 were revealed.

svnty6rs3

May 13, 2020
I talked specifically about game reveals if you reread my message, not game announcements. The fact that Starfield and TES6 were technically announced in 2018 changes nothing, because they were not revealed. Those were simply a roadmap of Bethesda future titles. Pete Hines literally said that they "announced" them so early to let the fans know that FO76 was an outlier for them and they are still making single-player games. We can still expect BGS release games shortly after they are truly revealed. Neither Starfield nor TES6 were revealed.
got ya. well let's hope for a reveal soon then. I am super excited for it.

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
I mean it looks like that is the plan, yes. Otherwise like i said, wouldn't they have announced the big games coming in 2021 instead of focusing on games that are much further away like Fable, State of Decay 3, Everwild and Avowed.
You don't know when any of those games are releasing. You're layering assumptions upon assumptions.

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
Weird thing is......why not create a few tech demos and one or two 15 minute playable next gen games from their top technical teams, like The Coalition, Turn 10, Playground etc. They really, really could have done small, playable demos to raise a lot of excitement.
Or put all hands on deck porting Flight Simulator.

Garryk

Oct 26, 2017
Outside of Playground Games, has any studio (post-acquisition) done anything great? I love my Xboxes and I have a Series X on pre-order, but I think the jury is still out on MS's ability to effectively manage multiple game studios.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Starfield is definitely huge and hopefully it does come out in 2021. Love everything Bethesda.

In terms of flight simulator being absolutely big, not sure i would count something estimated to sell 2 million over 3 years to be in the same league as some of these other games we are talking about.

www.vg247.com

Microsoft Flight Simulator is expected to produce $2.6 billion in hardware sales

Recent analysis suggests that Microsoft Flight Simulator is expected to generate over $2.6 billion in hardware sales over the next three years.

LOL. And there I thought this whole commentary was about quality and scope of games, and not console warz-esque sales comparisons.

PS: 2 million sales for a Gamepass title is Pretty great. You might also want to check your stats. That analysis is focused on PC sales only.
Add Xbox and console Gamepass to the mix and you're getting impressive numbers.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
Sony was rumoured to be in talks to get timed exclusivity. It was in development for PS4/5. If people think it's really that further along in development then it'll be the same situation as Outer Worlds.

outer worlds was signed to 2K (private division) which is why it came out on everything

MS had the option of buying out that contract and 2K would have likely been ok with it... but they opted not to.

shanew21

Nov 7, 2017
Console hardware is generally more important than software *AT LAUNCH*. Look no further than last gen where Xbox had a really strong launch lineup but got blown out of the water by a higher price and "900p gate".

The reality is launch games generally aren't super memorable due to new hardware and cross gen, so if there were a time to be light on software it would be now. Of course, this can't continue into next year. MS has to start putting new games on the system.

svnty6rs3

May 13, 2020
LOL. And there I thought this whole commentary was about quality and scope of games, and not console warz-esque sales comparisons.

PS: 2 million sales for a Gamepass title is Pretty great. You might also want to check your stats. That analysis is focused on PC sales only.
Add Xbox and console Gamepass to the mix and you're getting impressive numbers.
what? Every one of my comments has been related to big first party system sellers. I've said that repeatedly in my responses to people on this thread. It has nothing to do with console wars, it's a fact that you need big system selling games when launching a console.

If it sells 2 million on PC. What exactly do you think it will sell on Xbox? And by trying to include Gamepass "sales" i'm not sure what your goal is there. Then let's just call every single game on Game Pass a huge seller, right? Lol come on man.

rrc1594

Oct 25, 2017
Sony was rumoured to be in talks to get timed exclusivity. It was in development for PS4/5. If people think it's really that further along in development then it'll be the same situation as Outer Worlds.

No, it wouldn't because Bethesda is its own publisher. It's up to MS to drop it on PS not someone else like Outer World. MS did not own publishing right to Outer Worlds. MS will own publishing rights and IP rights.

andresmoros

Oct 29, 2017
Houston
It's all related. At one point, Halo, The Ascent and Medium looked like a promising day 1 lineup. Now none are there. Currently they don't have an exciting exclusive lineup however there's still plenty to do for day 1 Series X and S owners while they wait for those games to come. Not really a huge deal. Halo not being good would be a huge deal.
Yeah, it's not a big deal at all. They will sell Xboxs like hotcakes, but yeah the launch lineup is empty-ish. It's just the wait to play the real next gen stuff, you know? But oh well, it's just a matter of time before they start coming.

svnty6rs3

May 13, 2020

It's certainly a valid point to consider. If this multiplaform game was far enough along in development that it was announced in 2018 and releasing in 2021, that would be a heck of a lot of work to just throw out since i would assume it would have been in development for multiple platforms including Playstation. Silly to just disregard the point.

PRrambo_

PlayStation.jif
Oct 25, 2017
Theres plenty of 3rd party AAAs to play as always. They failed in having exclusives at launch but plenty of folks will be happy with next gen versions of COD, Fortnite, and their favorite sports games.

AuroraMusisAmica

One Winged Slayer
Aug 16, 2018
The Series X/S will be fine no matter what they launched with this holiday season. Stock is limited, engagement is high with its core base, and it's that time of year for spending and gift giving.

It's when we get to March through October that Microsoft is going to have to garner appeal and make the Series systems appeal to the masses. The Wii U was successful during its first holiday season, but we all know how that ended as game droughts began and both its enthusiast and casual base dried up. Of course, the Wii U was seen as a confusing mid-gen refresh with an unappealing gimmick, nothing that the Series is (except for the confusing naming), but the point remains that the first holiday season is not the time to be worried about your console's success.

Looking back, the Switch lineup was incredibly smart. Launch with Breath of the Wild that your base loves, and then introduce new games almost every month to keep the system in the mouths of the masses (Mario Kart, Splatoon 2, Odyssey, ARMS, XenoBlade 2, Mario + Rabbids, Skyrim, Doom). Once we get to March 2021, Microsoft needs to keep momentum going and engage both its core and potential customers with appealing content. We'll see how it goes once the holiday snow dust has settled.

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
Could have sworn insiders have said those games aren't close. Hey, if they come out in 2021 then awesome!
We'll see. I don't disagree that we've been given the impression that many of those games are far off, but I also cannot subscribe to the idea that the Microsoft Studios "big board" for 2021 was just Forza and Psychonauts 2.

At the very least I think we're going to see Hellblade 2 next year. And assuming Halo slips to late-summer, I think Halo/Forza/Hellblade/Psychonauts isn't bad for 2021 output.

Eamon

Prophet of Truth
Apr 22, 2020
We'll see. I don't disagree that we've been given the impression that many of those games are far off, but I also cannot subscribe to the idea that the Microsoft Studios "big board" for 2021 was just Forza and Psychonauts 2.

At the very least I think we're going to see Hellblade 2 next year. And assuming Halo slips to late-summer, I think Halo/Forza/Hellblade/Psychonauts isn't bad for 2021 output.
I think if Hellblade was planned to release next year, we would have gotten more than what we saw at the Xbox Games Showcase

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, it wouldn't because Bethesda is its own publisher. It's up to MS to drop it on PS not someone else like Outer World. MS did not own publishing right to Outer Worlds. MS will own publishing rights and IP rights.
Bethesda is not going to drop years of development on PS4/5 if it's indeed ready to release next year. Day one on game pass is already a selling point, MS doesn't need the game to be exclusive.

Jun 23, 2019

This is silly. They are not going to drop years of work just because MS owns them. There's no downside for MS releasing the game on PS4/5 and getting extra money outside of upsetting Xbox diehards.

DocH1X1

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
Honesty, as someone who's been gaming on Xbox since the original console it's the single biggest letdown and main reason I will most likely be jumping ship to Playstation for this new generation.

IMO, Microsoft still hasn't learned one of, if not the single most important lesson from last generation. You can have the most powerful console with all the bells and whistles (4K, 8K, 120 FPS etc...) however, at the end of the day it's good exclusive titles that bring people to your platform and keep them there. I genuinely believe Microsoft has completely failed in this regard.

It's been very frustrating to see Microsoft spend far too much time and resources bragging about how powerful the Series X is, placing way too much emphasis on the console (their entire next-generation marketing strategy revolves around the tagline "the fastest, most powerful Xbox ever") instead of focusing on and ensuring they have a strong launch lineup with good exclusive titles.

Microsoft's current first party launch lineup is an absolute disaster, easily the weakest we've ever seen. The other thing that really bothers me is the overwhelming reliance on Halo, Gears and Forza. I was never into Forza so after I lost interest in Halo and Gears there's really not much else. Microsoft has not produced anything that's generated the same level of excitement or anticipation as new entry in those franchises use to. I lost interest in Halo after 5 and I felt Gears ran it's course after 3 and Microsoft hasn't produced a single noteworthy first-party IP in what feels like eons.

So they can continue to market how powerful it is, how fast and quiet it is, how well it runs BC games etc... Until they get their act together and start to produce good exclusives again, I'm out.

Perhaps in 2-3 years when we begin to see the fruit of their studio acquisitions but at this point I have a hard time seeing why people are so eager to pre-order.
They just bought Bethesda........

I get what your saying but they are moving aggressively to fix this specific issue! Very very very aggressively....

mentok15

Dec 20, 2017
Australia
Bethesda is not going to drop years of development on PS4/5 if it's indeed ready to release next year. Day one on game pass is already a selling point, MS doesn't need the game to be exclusive.
It's going to release late next year at the earliest. I doubt it has had much specific PS5 (or XSX|S) development. They'd be developing it on pc with next gen console specs in mind.

meenseen84

Feb 15, 2018
Minneapolis
If true then Starfield is really further along in development, wouldn't be surprised if it's also on PS4/5.

Strictly my thoughts here.

They have said they weren't developing it for release on current gen. This is a game where they don't want hardware to restrict the vision and PC has been the leading platform. With that in mind, the 100+ million PS4 owners are not exactly part of the equation. Financial incentive is not as big as you'd think then.

Unless there is a deal, any benefit to selling it to 10+ million ps5 owners are probably outweighed by not gaining another user on their platform. 7.5 billion is a long term move, and that IP could be a major part of that value. At this point, the game could be feature complete but is definitely not optimized for every platform. Any work lost is likely minimal.

Of any game that Bethesda releases, that one is the most unlikely in my opinion to release on any Sony platform. It could be as big as a RDR2 or Cyberpunk. This game could bring millions of people over to Xbox and sell insane numbers.

rrc1594

Oct 25, 2017

This is silly. They are not going to drop years of work just because MS owns them. There's no downside for MS releasing the game on PS4/5 and getting extra money outside of upsetting Xbox diehards.

Guys, unless it has game pass it won't be there. Being on PS doesn't drive Subs, it really that simple. The money they would make on PS doesn't mean jack-shit to MS in the long run if people ain't subbing to XGP.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017

They spent a serious amount to acquire this company to increase the interest in their ecosystem. I wish people would think more about their long game and not the short term sales on Playstation. Also, most dev done at this point is on PC and agnostic of consoles.

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
I used to hear a few months ago that people were silly for thinking MS might spend $2.5B for WB Games. That their investments needed to "make financial sense."

Microsoft could have brought Bethesda's games to Gamepass for a LOT less than $7.5B. I'm guessing they could have licensed the entire back catalog for a couple hundred million, and acquired Gamepass rights to the games from all their studios for the next 3-4 years in exchange for funding the cost of production (with Bethesda taking all the profits from sales on PS5/Steam). That's what, $250m for Starfield, $250m for ES6, and then $60m for each of the games from the other studios? Combined with the cost of the back catalog, you're looking at ~$1B total. (Remember, Bethesda games have not been doing hot from a sales perspective lately, and they would be happy to have all of the downside risk removed by MS while being able to keep profits from the leading console platform.)

But let's say I'm wrong by half. $2B then. That's still $5.5B cheaper than what they spent on acquiring Zenimax in exchange for just adding these titles to Gamepass day 1.

So obviously Microsoft isn't out here pinching pennies or trying to see if it's cheaper to buy an extra large soda and pour it into two medium cups than buying two medium soft drinks. They're making huge money investments in the Xbox and the Gamepass ecosystem.

Consider the reverse. How much money could Sony make by releasing Spider Man on the upcoming Switch Pro (or whatever)? They'd sell 5 million copies at full price, easy. That's $200m after Nintendo's $20 platform fee. So why aren't we assuming that Playstation would do such a thing? Because Sony is invested in "fuck you, Playstation is the best place to play games so if you want to enjoy our games you're going to do it in our ecosystem."

The fact that people don't immediately think the same thing about Microsoft and Xbox tells you everything you need to know about why they cannot release these Bethesda games on Playstation.

Oct 25, 2017

That's reaaaaaally debatable. Getting more people into your ecosystem and to sign your services is far more valuable (and lucrative) to Microsoft than 30% of a Starfield playstation version. I can see them releasing, but it's completely possible that they don't release it on PS too.

If they wanted Bethesda purely to release their games on Game Pass, they could spend waaaaay less money for that.

PapaShango

Oct 27, 2017
Shouldn't Medium be on the launch list? If so, doesn't that make things feel better? Likewise, this is the first time we have such Back Compat depth too, doesn't that count for something?

Would also add, I fully expect Flight Simulator hit before year end, if so, would also help the lunch window picture.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't think it's a problem to drop it : XGS studios already have to design games for the Series S plus the largest possible pool of gaming PCs and budgeted without any money coming from the PlayStation market - it's even more restrictive than for a third-party in terms of publishing and these constraints will apply to their recent acquisition too.

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Guys, unless it has game pass it won't be there. Being on PS doesn't drive Subs, it really that simple. The money they would make on PS doesn't mean jack-shit to MS in the long run if people ain't subbing to XGP.
It was never about money, but marketing. The decision is really on a per-game basis. A game like Minecraft and subsequent games make sense to be on every platform. including the PS4/5. Other games MS published can be on PS5 as well.

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
Halo 5 likely sold less than Horizon Zero Dawn or God of War PS4.
These are both true. I think Halo 5 sold 5m copies in its first three months. Pretty sure both of those titles exceeded that.

Nonetheless, I still think Halo is a bigger franchise that the other two. Halo 5 was dragged down by the negativity surrounding the XB1 as well as people just kinda not liking 343's Halo games.

If it weren't for Halo Infinite being a "10-year platform" or whatever, I would immediately hand the reins of Halo over to Id and hand Gears over to Machine Games and see what they could do with those franchises.

It would be good to let 343 and the Coalition explore new directions.

Steve McQueen

Nov 1, 2017
Netherlands
This is the main reason that I"ll wait getting an XSX. The hardware is really great , but I don't wanna spend that much money to replay FH4.

I'll just wait for HALO or another great exclusive.

redmambaxiii

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Do y'all believe this matters less than past launch windows because of the existence of free juggernauts like warzone or fortnite?

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
Honesty, as someone who's been gaming on Xbox since the original console it's the single biggest letdown and main reason I will most likely be jumping ship to Playstation for this new generation.

IMO, Microsoft still hasn't learned one of, if not the single most important lesson from last generation. You can have the most powerful console with all the bells and whistles (4K, 8K, 120 FPS etc...) however, at the end of the day it's good exclusive titles that bring people to your platform and keep them there. I genuinely believe Microsoft has completely failed in this regard.

It's been very frustrating to see Microsoft spend far too much time and resources bragging about how powerful the Series X is, placing way too much emphasis on the console (their entire next-generation marketing strategy revolves around the tagline "the fastest, most powerful Xbox ever") instead of focusing on and ensuring they have a strong launch lineup with good exclusive titles.

Microsoft's current first party launch lineup is an absolute disaster, easily the weakest we've ever seen. The other thing that really bothers me is the overwhelming reliance on Halo, Gears and Forza. I was never into Forza so after I lost interest in Halo and Gears there's really not much else. Microsoft has not produced anything that's generated the same level of excitement or anticipation as new entry in those franchises use to. I lost interest in Halo after 5 and I felt Gears ran it's course after 3 and Microsoft hasn't produced a single noteworthy first-party IP in what feels like eons.

So they can continue to market how powerful it is, how fast and quiet it is, how well it runs BC games etc... Until they get their act together and start to produce good exclusives again, I'm out.

Perhaps in 2-3 years when we begin to see the fruit of their studio acquisitions but at this point I have a hard time seeing why people are so eager to pre-order.

I mean I get what you're saying but they pretty much rectified the problem in the most massive way possible. I really think Phil got a lot more power once the upper brass saw the potential of GamePass

Do y'all believe this matters less than past launch windows because of the existence of free juggernauts like warzone or fortnite?

I think it matters less because of GP