Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
With Game Pass you can't really judge it only by sales. But Halo is a much bigger IP than HZD or GOW.

But regardless, Halo is huge. And it is releasing within a year of the XSX launch. So that's at least one huge game releasing in the first year.

Halo 5 came out way before Game Pass was a thing.

Jun 23, 2019
Guys, unless it has game pass it won't be there. Being on PS doesn't drive Subs, it really that simple. The money they would make on PS doesn't mean jack-shit to MS in the long run if people ain't subbing to XGP.
They spent a serious amount to acquire this company to increase the interest in their ecosystem. I wish people would think more about their long game and not the short term sales on Playstation. Also, most dev done at this point is on PC and agnostic of consoles.
That's reaaaaaally debatable. Getting more people into your ecosystem and to sign your services is far more valuable (and lucrative) to Microsoft than 30% of a Starfield playstation version. I can see them releasing, but it's completely possible that they don't release it on PS too.

If they wanted Bethesda purely to release their games on Game Pass, they could spend waaaaay less money for that.
Yes there is, every copy sold on a Playstation platform is potentially 1 less Gamepass subscriber.

Good lord. If Sony was negotiating with Bethesda to get a timed exclusivity of Starfield, it's not outside of the realm of possibility that the game was being developed for PS hardware. With that being said, if MS was as gung-ho to lock down content as you all are stating, they would have never let Bethesda come out and make the "case by case" statement. They would have simply told Bethesda to shut it down and now everything is Xbox only. I wish you all would realize that while MS now owns Bethesda, it doesn't mean that every game is now Xbox hardware/GamePass only or else Minecraft would have gotten locked down years ago as well.

Oct 25, 2017
It was never about money, but marketing. The decision is really on a per-game basis. A game like Minecraft and subsequent games make sense to be on every platform. including the PS4/5. Other games MS published can be on PS5 as well.

You're in for a rude awakening if you think Starfield is coming to the PS5. The only way it happens is if Sony allows xCloud on the PS.

Oct 25, 2017
Good lord. If Sony was negotiating with Bethesda to get a timed exclusivity of Starfield, it's not outside of the realm of possibility that the game was being developed for PS hardware. With that being said, if MS was as gung-ho to lock down content as you all are stating, they would have never let Bethesda come out and make the "case by case" statement. They would have simply told Bethesda to shut it down and now everything is Xbox only. I wish you all would realize that while MS now owns Bethesda, it doesn't mean that every game is now Xbox hardware/GamePass only or else Minecraft would have gotten locked down years ago as well.

Like i said, i wouldn't be surprised with Starfield coming out on Playstation. I don't think the case by case stuff means much in this context though, since i feel it is much more related to MMO and other things because that will keep being supported on all plataforms. However, just like i don't think it's absurd to think Starfield is coming out on Playstation 5, it wouldn't be really surprising to see it exclusive either. Which was more my point in the post you quoted. The 'no downside' is really debatable :P

LordBaztion

Oct 27, 2017
Lima Perú
it's a shame, they really set up this launch very well.
Also, it's astoundish how anyone in MS raised his hand in 2018 to say that Infinite will never look as good as the E3 trailer, or that they were creating unachievable expectation with the 2019 trailer, or how someone decided to rely only on Infinite for launch.

Omniblack

Jul 10, 2020
To be fair, Phil made that statement, and you can easily guess that it's because Bethesda GAAS(Fallout 76, ESO and Fallout shelter) will continue to be ported to other platforms. Might even see the other 76 and ESO on switch one day

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017

The case by case verbiage just aligns with the existing services games and games that were already announced and had deals with Playstation. Also, shutting it down just leads to more gruff from customers, a PR response like that is safe.

Jun 23, 2019
Like i said, i wouldn't be surprised with Starfield coming out on Playstation. I don't think the case by case stuff means much in this context though, since i feel it is much more related to MMO and other things because that will keep being supported on all plataforms. However, just like i don't think it's absurd to think Starfield is coming out on Playstation 5, it wouldn't be really surprising to see it exclusive either. Which was more my point in the post you quoted. The 'no downside' is really debatable :P

The no downside is really not debatable because you are arguing 'what if's' vs. actual money. Let's take Minecraft for example. After MS acquired Mojang, they could have absolutely locked MS down to Xbox and PC only, but they didn't. Why? Because they realized there was no benefit to shutting off revenue streams from PS and Switch players just because they owned it.

It's the same thing here. It's not a zero sum game for MS where the choices are "either we get this person into GamePass or not". Obviously MS will make decisions moving forward to where they will decide what is the best course of action for their IPs under Bethesda, but if they have already done serious development on the game with PS hardware involved, it would be incredibly shortsighted to skip out on the 100+ million PS4 owners that will be migrating to PS5 just for the sake of being petty. Remember, the first taste is free, but then you have to pay. Get the people with Starfield and then set them up to buy an Xbox and GamePass.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
The no downside is really not debatable because you are arguing 'what if's' vs. actual money. Let's take Minecraft for example. After MS acquired Mojang, they could have absolutely locked MS down to Xbox and PC only, but they didn't. Why? Because they realized there was no benefit to shutting off revenue streams from PS and Switch players just because they owned it.

It's the same thing here. It's not a zero sum game for MS where the choices are "either we get this person into GamePass or not". Obviously MS will make decisions moving forward to where they will decide what is the best course of action for their IPs under Bethesda, but if they have already done serious development on the game with PS hardware involved, it would be incredibly shortsighted to skip out on the 100+ million PS4 owners that will be migrating to PS5 just for the sake of being petty. Remember, the first taste is free, but then you have to pay. Get the people with Starfield and then set them up to buy an Xbox and GamePass.
Eh Microsoft just has to put the shoe on the other foot. What would Sony do if they were in their position? Then just do that. Because it works.

It might not work on people here but would work on the casuals that just see starfield as "new Xbox game"

mentok15

Dec 20, 2017
Australia
Theres no way starfield is coming t the PS5. The argument for Elder Scrolls and Fallout are that they are franchises already established and have a fanbase on playstation (though I still disagree). Starfield is a new ip, it's going to be a Microsoft exclusive.

100+ million PS4 owners that will be migrating to PS5
Having Strafield and other Zenimax games as exclusive would be away for Microsoft to prevent that. The vast majority of PS4 owners aren't fanboys who will only buy playstation.

Last edited:

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The most baffling thing is that in 343's mind, Halo Infinite was ready to go next month. You bet the backlash on the game's graphics and technical aspects took them entirely by surprise.

Oct 25, 2017

I mean, i don't think you are wrong in a lot of these arguments, but i do think it's debatable. The idea that thinking that in the long term they will gain more customers and people signing into Game Pass with the game being exclusive is "being petty" is weird for me. I don't think it's absurd, exclusives do sell. (services, consoles, etc). We'll know soon enough though.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
You're not wrong OP but MS is playing the long game. I'm glad they aren't rushing stuff out like they did Forza 5.

Jun 23, 2019
Theres no way starfield is coming t the PS5. The argument for Elder Scrolls and Fallout are that they are franchises already established and have a fanbase on playstation (though I still disagree). Starfield is a new ip, it's going to be a Microsoft exclusive.

Having Strafield and other Zenimax games as exclusive would be away for Microsoft to prevent that. The vast majority of PS4 owners aren't fanboys who will only buy playstation.

It's like we all have forgotten that this current generation was the first generation where digital sales and services played a major role with consumers. This has nothing to do with "fanboys". It has everything to do with PS4 owners with $100s of dollars invested into Sony's ecosystem looking to move to the PS5 and not having to completely jump into Xbox's ecosystem from scratch. Some will, a vast majority won't. MS now has to figure out how to sway the group who don't want a Series S/X.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
Oof, you're really holding out hope, huh? You'd be better off saving for a xsx because it's very likely to be xbox/pc exclusive. Don't get your hopes up for a ps5 release.

mentok15

Dec 20, 2017
Australia
It's like we all have forgotten that this current generation was the first generation where digital sales and services played a major role with consumers. This has nothing to do with "fanboys". It has everything to do with PS4 owners with $100s of dollars invested into Sony's ecosystem looking to move to the PS5 and not having to completely jump into Xbox's ecosystem from scratch. Some will, a vast majority won't. MS now has to figure out how to sway the group who don't want a Series S/X.
Yes its the first generation of that which also means we don't know how big an effect it will have. I like bc but does the average consumer? The ones who just want to play CoD, FIFA, Madden? It also doesn't seem that Sony themselves care about people playing their old games. And I'm unsure why digital is more important than physical with this?

Whats going to get most f shoes people to continue on to PS5 is mindshare and habit, not the ability to easily play old games.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
Oof, you're really holding out hope, huh? You'd be better off saving for a xsx because it's very likely to be xbox/pc exclusive. Don't get your hopes up for a ps5 release.

If MS improves the streaming quality of XCloud, You won't need an Xbox or PC either. You can just sign up for a month of Gamepass ultimate, stream the game, and cancel.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
If MS improves the streaming quality of XCloud, You won't need an Xbox or PC either. You can just sign up for a month of Gamepass ultimate, stream the game, and cancel.
Yeah just like ppl do to watch the latest season of game of thrones or something. Not exactly a new idea.

But still can't play on your Playstation unless Sony allows game pass

Not you

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, lots of people are trying to convince Bethesda games are coming to PS5. I just don't see it. A more reasonable explanation to the "case by case" are expansions to Doom Eternal, for instance. And, the reason they haven't come out and said Starfield, for instance, is exclusive is because it'll be way more impactful alongside its full reveal. MS has already had a couple mic drop moments, they're keeping a couple rounds in the chamber for later. But I guess we'll see soon enough.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
I can't in any way see a benefit to Microsoft releasing Bethesda games on PS5. I can see people's argument that they could get paid revenue on the PS5 side while pulling in a bunch of new subscribers on the GamePass side but that just doesn't align with wanting to get as many people on to GamePass as possible

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
Starfield is a new IP. There are no fans of that game on any platform yet because it's not an established franchise yet. MS has nothing to gain by releasing that on other platforms since there's no guarantee it's a huge hit. ES and Fallout are established franchises and would certainly sell on other platforms.

I don't believe any of those big games are going anywhere but Xbox and PC, but Starfield is the one that almost certainly isn't. Hell, Starfield has been the one Bethesda game that keeps being mentioned by Phil and MS. Not sure why people keep bringing up The Outer Worlds or Bethesda not being willing to scrap a potential PS5 version. The former wasn't a MS published game and the latter isn't up to Bethesda anymore. If MS doesn't want the game on PS then they have no choice but to scrap it.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Regarding Starfield, in the recent Major Nealon interview, Todd Howard said "we're excited to work with Xbox on that."

Taken with all the Starfield references Microsoft PR has been making lately, I think it's very likely they'll be publishing it as an exclusive.

Oct 27, 2017
After watching the latest Flight Simulator trailer on Xbox's YouTube channel, I really lement it not being at launch and not knowing it's launch date at all.

Nov 8, 2017
If it's coming out 2021, it definitely will be coming to PS4/5,

I think this is true only insfar as the sale may not have been finalized between Microsoft and Bethesda - they said it will be before the end of 2021, but if it's still in progress I could see it as quite likely still multiplat.

It would also depend on if Microsoft is interested in locking it down if it winds up costing them more to do so (e.g. need to give more money to Beth in the interrim period). I'm not really too familiar with the intricacies of how these things tend to work during changeover periods.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Microsoft has Halo at some point next year and then nothing else until 2022 while Sony has an absolute bonkers first year
Sure, we know XGS will not release games in 2021 yet. There is no event left to announce games. 🙄

I sorta agree that launch games are important or should I say having them certainly doesn't hurt. But that's a hottake and a narrative, which will lead you to eat crow. No games in 2021 ? lmao.

Last edited:

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Yeah, it's not a big deal at all. They will sell Xboxs like hotcakes, but yeah the launch lineup is empty-ish. It's just the wait to play the real next gen stuff, you know? But oh well, it's just a matter of time before they start coming.

Yeah it's unfortunate there's so many delays but I feel like many gaming enthusiast understand, have backlogs, will be playing Cyberpunk and will likely appreciate some of the small stuff knowing that there's a lot on the horizon. My bet is Halo releases this fiscal year which will mean it's barely outside of launch window. We'll likely know one way or the other by whether we see it at the Awards Show.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
It's a loooong way till 2022 and first signs of 1st party games on XSX.
I don't get how saying Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony not releasing games in a year isn't considered bannable due to trolling. When was the last time this happened? At Launch, while underwhelming lineup overall, is the good reviewed Gears Tactics and they have 23 studios with multiple teams and enough time to announce 2021 games.

I know, I know, Gears Tactics?

Some of you guys make it really hard not to defend Xbox a bit to much as a multiconsole gamer, because of these hottakes.

Last edited:

Hurting Bomb

Oct 28, 2017
Please stop this...it is not going to happen so accept it.

The case by case basis will mean Fallout 76 and The Elder Scrolls Online as they already have Playstation players.

Microsoft will not just come out straight away and say games are not coming to Playstation as it might generate a little bad press (but wouldn't for Sony), and lets be fair everybody is talking Xbox at the moment so why should they.

Starfield like Elder Scrolls 6 will be Xbox/PC exclusive

Simuly

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 8, 2019
I think this is true only insfar as the sale may not have been finalized between Microsoft and Bethesda - they said it will be before the end of 2021, but if it's still in progress I could see it as quite likely still multiplat.

It would also depend on if Microsoft is interested in locking it down if it winds up costing them more to do so (e.g. need to give more money to Beth in the interrim period). I'm not really too familiar with the intricacies of how these things tend to work during changeover periods.

Good point. I read somewhere that the acquisition will take another 9 months to go through, and has a chance to fail even, which is pretty mind blowing if true. But yeh, when it comes to Starfield, if it really is coming soonish, the PS4/5 code would be pretty far along, just another reason to release on all platforms.

I don't know why it's ok for people to wish that less people get to play it.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
If they bring Doom 3 to switch, then their statement is already true. Case by case basis doesn't mean PS ports, it could mean switch ports and even more rarely like now PS ports.

Or when their japanese studio releases their game as multiplatform, then the statement is still true. I think you will be disappointed when you expect MS not taking advantage of Starfield and Elder Scrolls to sell Gamepass and consoles.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Some of you guys make it really hard not to defend Xbox a bit to much as a multiconsole gamer, because of these hottakes.
i mean, we are getting hammered by faked negativity by many in this forum, by US/UK media, nitpicking lwith things like the face of Peter parker, or two or three games having ps4 versions too (aka crossgen), but saying that there's nothing but from MS studios planned for 2021 is a hot take that makes you send MS?
I mean you are an xbox fan, you are defending MS in many threads. Nothing bad, but at least a bit of self awareness.

24thFrame

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 16, 2020
i mean, we are getting hammered by faked negativity by many in this forum, by US/UK media, nitpicking lwith things like the face of Peter parker, or two or three games having ps4 versions too (aka crossgen), but saying that there's nothing but from MS studios planned for 2021 is a hot take that makes you send MS?
I mean you are an xbox fan, you are defending MS in many threads. Nothing bad, but at least a bit of self awareness.

Fake negativity? By the media? Are Playstation fanboys just running with the MAGA playbook now?

Markratos

Hermen Hulst's Secret Account
Feb 15, 2020
At the moment Sony has a much more powerful catalog, but if at the end of 2021 the Microsoft studio machine begins to produce the artillery, Sony will have problems in comparison. I want to see how they will react and which companies are going to buy.

dodmaster

Apr 27, 2019
People are genuinely losing their minds in this thread. 21 pages of concern and expectations of a PS5 build for Starfield 2021.

As it stands, yes Xbox don't have launch exclusives. That's pretty poor, but understandable, given there's a pandemic and Xbox decided to pull their flagship exclusive because the internet shat on its reveal. Quite how that translates into them having no games releasing at all for the next 14 months is beyond me, but that's where this conversation seems to have gone.

Raigor

May 14, 2020

It's always funny to read conspiracy theories, never change ERA.

It's a big scheme being made with Microsoft money to lure the press and make negative articles to attack Sony, trust me i have sources.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya

It's a big scheme being made with Microsoft money to lure the press and make negative articles to attack Sony, trust me i have sources.
I don't think there's need of money, some journalists are biased (both sides, but English spoken press has quite a tendency) so that comes as free. Or could be that are just very bad at their jobs.

mentok15

Dec 20, 2017
Australia
I'm sure that the recent article by polygon or the take by engadget on their recent XsX hands on straight up lying about ps5 BC are just unforced errors.
I haven't read the articles but what did they say? How was it a lie? And how would you know it's a lie? No one has a clear idea on PS5 bc yet.

Microsoft moneyhatted Peter Parker's face change to rile up the fanbase lol

nelsonroyale

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
At the moment Sony has a much more powerful catalog, but if at the end of 2021 the Microsoft studio machine begins to produce the artillery, Sony will have problems in comparison. I want to see how they will react and which companies are going to buy.

Really? I don't see it. By the time MS gets into gear, stuff like NDs, SPs, Bends, next games should be coming up, along with whatever the San Francisco studio is working on plus timed stuff like Project Athia, likely FF VII R. Should be enough to at least match whatever MS has got going on beyond 2021. I mean I have gamepass for the few years on PC, so will enjoy whatever they are cooking as well, but I feel the devs on there have more to prove in terms AAA experiences at least.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
The face of Peter parker is subjective, because one prefers the old or new look. I do appreciate Insomniac being open and can get fully behind their reasons to change the face. But again it's subjective. I prefer the new face, but let's not pretend everyone liking the old face has something against Sony. It's subjective.

What I don't understand and never will, regardless of the victim are those insults and so on. Not liking something is fine, but we should still be respectful imo.

But saying MS, Nintendo, Sony won't release games next year (as in any next year), because they haven't announced games to this year is ridiculous and will lead to eat crow. This never happens and Microsoft has already announced Halo for 2021. Should they announce more? Sure, that's something I want to happen this year, because it's always nice to have a plan what's coming. But it's utterly BS to suggest XGS won't release games in 2021.

You may think I am a Xbox fan and I don't blame you, as I am currently defending Xbox on here more than others. Especially during the Smart Delivery discussion, because I watched podcasts and read interviews about it and knew it's nothing like cross play. But on other forums with less hottakes, I don't defend Xbox as much. I like Nintendo, Xbox and PlayStation much, but I admit that currently Xbox makes the most decision I actually like. Smart Delivery, their OS approach, Gamepass, ... . When they don't aka 2013, then I hammered them, because I didn't like the direction they were going and how they treated their consumers and fans.
I'm sure that the recent article by polygon or the take by engadget on their recent XsX hands on straight up lying about ps5 BC are just unforced errors.
When journalist thought Wii U was a addon to Wii you considered this a conspiracy aswell? It's frustrating some journalist don't do enough research and maybe some of them got a agenda, but come on. It's not like UK/US media in general have something against PS.