Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
he'd be facing the death penalty if he were not white, so i think he's being shown mercy already by only settling on a life sentence

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
Violent terrorists don't get mercy.

We're extremely lucky he "only" killed one person in that attack, but it doesn't make it any less horrible or despicable. And he's sure as hell too dangerous to be allowed back into society.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I generally don't believe in life sentences, because I want to believe that people can change. I know that bad people can change. This person hasn't shown remorse, so a life sentence seems fair. Also, I do want an example made. Unfortunately, I doubt his racism will be curbed in our prison system...

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
I'd like to add some information to a thread that's mostly devoted, understandably, to righteous anger.

The state trial of this individual has ended and he's due to be sentenced in state court next week. The sentence guidelines say 20 to life. This is in addition to any federal sentence, which also seems likely to be for life. This plea for mercy is in the federal case.

The federal defence lawyers are just doing what any good defence lawyer would and could do during the sentencing phase: to put the best case for a reduced sentence. Anything less would be malpractice and could provide grounds for appeal.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't believe that everyone in America is a Nazi because, well, that would be ridiculous. I'm saying that white supremacy as an ideology is pre-baked into our society that you are automatically somewhere on that spectrum by the time you're cognizant enough to even start absorbing the social differences between different racial groups. What then starts happening, is that you start walking in a direction along that range over the course of your life: whether or not you become more radicalized towards outright Nazism- where you "fall"-- or whether you actually start getting into anti-racist work and trying to proactively and aggressively deprogram the sociopolitical conditioning you've been and are still constantly being subjected to daily, or- like most people- whether or not you fall somewhere in between.

So, I don't think everyone is a Nazi or alt-righter or whatever. But! I also don't believe a single white person when they say they're not racist, which is the major thrust of the issue; it's the prevalence, the sheer banality and normalcy of racism, that helps give cover to the out-and-out Nazis to do shit like run over protesters. It's stochastic terrorism taken to the most extreme conclusion. It's the constant calls for sympathy and understanding of a rust belt that doesn't want a damn thing to do with me. It's the insistence on defining white adults as children. It's the op-eds about Trump voters. It's the defining of "real America" and the "working class" without a single drop of color. It's the fact that anyone even thought Trump was a reasonable choice in the first place, particular in context to electing a black man right beforehand.

It's these things that will inevitably open the path for some young white teens to go on and murder others. The fact that this particular shitstain is 22 isn't a surprise to anyone who has historically always been on the wrong end of the barrel.
Cold hard facts, brought to you by Nepenthe.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
526.jpg

Deleted member 19003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He never showed any regret or sorrow for his actions. He's evil trash and deserves zero mercy. In fact, he's already gotten enough mercy by not being given a death sentence.

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People who have taken the lives of others and it's unequivocal that they are guilty should not live off of people for an arbitrary number of years. They deserve capital punishment. I know that ruffle some feathers here, but it seems strange that people can live care free in prison after killing someone and have 3 hots and a cot but people who abide by the law often go hungry it are homeless. I know the two aren't necessarily related but it's a strange reality to be faced with.

Opto

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
People who have taken the lives of others and it's unequivocal that they are guilty should not live off of people for an arbitrary number of years. They deserve capital punishment. I know that ruffle some feathers here, but it seems strange that people can live care free in prison after killing someone and have 3 hots and a cot but people who abide by the law often go hungry it are homeless. I know the two aren't necessarily related but it's a strange reality to be faced with.
Death would be a mercy. Sure he lives, but he isn't going to have a life. He'll be an empty shell, any moment of joy will be ripped from him by the realization that he can never go anywhere, that the walls are there forever. He'll die, but it won't be with family or loved ones or even friends. It'll be alone with nothing to his name.

Deleted member 18360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I see where you're coming from, but I think there's something unsettling about the bureaucratization of death, even in really open and shut cases. Although that's also kind of supporting your point, because the deprivation experienced by the underprivileged is similarly remote and systematic, and probably the only reason it isn't immediately flagged that way is that we're more accustomed to it and therefore can't be equally as shocked by it as we are cases like these.

But the recurring question seems to be whether justice should be primarily punitive or rehabilitative. And for the record I don't think this guy will ever be rehabilitated, in fact even if I thought he could, I don't think I would even want him to be. But permanently removing him from society seems like it should still serve the function of punishment (as a side effect), even if that's not the stated rationale for doing it, so I sort of see life in prison as the path of least resistance for my own moral confusion about how we 'should' handle situations like these.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
I don't believe that everyone in America is a Nazi because, well, that would be ridiculous. I'm saying that white supremacy as an ideology is pre-baked into our society that you are automatically somewhere on that spectrum by the time you're cognizant enough to even start absorbing the social differences between different racial groups. What then starts happening, is that you start walking in a direction along that range over the course of your life: whether or not you become more radicalized towards outright Nazism- where you "fall"-- or whether you actually start getting into anti-racist work and trying to proactively and aggressively deprogram the sociopolitical conditioning you've been and are still constantly being subjected to daily, or- like most people- whether or not you fall somewhere in between.

So, I don't think everyone is a Nazi or alt-righter or whatever. But! I also don't believe a single white person when they say they're not racist, which is the major thrust of the issue; it's the prevalence, the sheer banality and normalcy of racism, that helps give cover to the out-and-out Nazis to do shit like run over protesters. It's stochastic terrorism taken to the most extreme conclusion. It's the constant calls for sympathy and understanding of a rust belt that doesn't want a damn thing to do with me. It's the insistence on defining white adults as children. It's the op-eds about Trump voters. It's the defining of "real America" and the "working class" without a single drop of color. It's the fact that anyone even thought Trump was a reasonable choice in the first place, particular in context to electing a black man right beforehand.

It's these things that will inevitably open the path for some young white teens to go on and murder others. The fact that this particular shitstain is 22 isn't a surprise to anyone who has historically always been on the wrong end of the barrel.

Facts. Pure and simple.

Fuck the scumbag lawyers trying to use mental health and a traumatic childhood to get him a lower sentence. Mental health issues and a traumatic childhood don't make you a fucking Nazi that runs over people with a car

Nah. His lawyers are doing their job correctly. We need a system that allows for everyone even shitty fucks to present their defense. What's fucked up is when the system finds compassion for folks like him but not others due to skin color.

Last edited:

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck the scumbag lawyers trying to use mental health and a traumatic childhood to get him a lower sentence. Mental health issues and a traumatic childhood don't make you a fucking Nazi that runs over people with a car

Oct 27, 2017
Hope every passing day feels like eternity to him. Motherfucker!
It's so creepy he's got a Hitler shrine... and a WW1 flag since he's too scared to fly the swastika one. Coward Nazi like usual

whytemyke

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I do not share the moral disgust with capital punishment that most here do, so I'll just say this:

Just shoot him in the head and be done with it. He's not going to reform in prison. Not like people get less racist there.

Edit:
I feel like this video deserved to be mentioned in this thread so people can reflect on what happened when deciding whether they want him to be shown mercy.

Last edited: