• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I don't have a problem with this, let people play how they want, move on.
QqNb7uL.png

Rayne

Oct 25, 2017
Remember when we had the thread where people thought Clementine from a Walking Dead wasn't black because she didn't "look black"

It's the same kind of ignorance that has people say they find an entire race unattractive

But...there's a clear picture of Clem's family (Parents I mean) in game though?

Oct 27, 2017
The entire point of this thread is that the mod, itself, is the racist message.

giphy.gif

Yes, and nude mods are sexist, sex mods that change the sexuality of a character is sexist, etc. etc. etc.

I know what you're arguing, I just don't think it's realistic to put any sort of social effort to expunge it. Preferences will always exist, and if you want to attack someone for what they prefer in private use, good luck man. That's thought crime territory.

Attack someone for what they do to you. Not what they do in their room. If they keep it to themselves, who gives a crap. The public availability of a simple texture swap mod like this is not problematic enough to start some sort of campaign. If you feel otherwise go ahead and start up the twitter hashtag. Let's see where that effort goes.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah most those mods are weird but not all of them are downloaded for bad intentions. Maybe someone thinks the character looks better modded. Happens a lot with Elder Scrolls games.

For better or worse, mods offer this type of freedom, and I know people here aren't asking them to be banned, but it's just something that you'll always have to expect in the future.

There is nothing racist about that statement. Dark skin isn't his type, he finds white skin, blonde hair, and blue eyes more attractive.

There's a clear difference. Attraction to different skin types? Sure fine whatever

Saying you can't stand looking at different skin types? Racist.

Yeah that sounds pretty racist bruh.

No, different attraction to different skin types is not racism. We can't go down that hole.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, and nude mods are sexist, sex mods that change the sexuality of a character is sexist, etc. etc. etc.

I know what you're arguing, I just don't think it's realistic to put any sort of social effort to expunge it. Preferences will always exist, and if you want to attack someone for what they prefer in private use, good luck man. That's thought crime territory.

Attack someone for what they do to you. Not what they do in their room. If they keep it to themselves, who gives a crap. The public availability of a simple texture swap mod like this is not problematic enough to start some sort of campaign. If you feel otherwise go ahead and start up the twitter hashtag. Let's see where that effort goes.

What effort is being advocated beyond it being called out in this thread?

toastyToast

Oct 26, 2017
Can't say I'm surprised about this kind of thing existing. At least they aren't giving the dark skinned characters bulging eyes and big red lips.

Actually, mods like that probably exist too.

Stardestroyer

Oct 31, 2017

Everything you said is stupid. That's how racism grows. When you don't point out racism, it slowly becomes normalized. You fight it by pointing it out because it causes people to think about their actions.

AkiraAkira

Dec 28, 2017
Let me preface this by stating that I only read the first and most recent pages of this thread, so if a similar question has been asked, I apologize....

So my first reaction to the OP was: "Wow, that's disgusting." However, as someone who writes a decent amount of gay fanfiction and smut, I'm kind of questioning if I'm any better. Like, I take straight characters and play God with their orientations and sexuality all the time. Yes, the reason I do it is because there's almost zero queer characters in the fandoms I like to write about, and maybe that excuses it, but I'm still manipulating core elements that define who a character is to fit my selfish tastes.

I know it's not quite the same as changing a character's skin color, but I feel like it falls under a similar umbrella. I also understand that changing a character that provides diversity and representation to underrepresented people so that they fall more in line with 'white, heteronormative ideals' is kind of the other side of the coin concerning what I do. But is it really all that different?

I'd love to get some thoughts on this. I'm more so interested in hearing the opinions of people who had the same disgusted reaction to the OP as I did because I think I understand the rationale of people who don't find it objectionable well enough. Still, anyone who wants to take a shot at my question is more than welcome.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
So disheartening that there seem to be so many people in this thread more effected by the ''effort" put into calling mods like these out than they are by the mod itself.

Boots there is a difference in the same way that there's a reason straight pride parades or a white history month don't exist.

AnubisRising

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Dont see the issue. People will change what they want. It would be diff if the devs had a option to turn all char white or spmething but to me this is not a problem

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Let me preface this by stating that I only read the first and most recent pages of this thread, so if a similar question has been asked, I apologize....

So my first reaction to the OP was: "Wow, that's disgusting." However, as someone who writes a decent amount of gay fanfiction and smut, I'm kind of questioning if I'm any better. Like, I take straight characters and play God with their orientations and sexuality all the time. Yes, the reason I do it is because there's almost zero queer characters in the fandoms I like to write about, and maybe that excuses it, but I'm still manipulating core elements that define who a character is to fit my selfish tastes.

I know it's not quite the same as changing a character's skin color, but I feel like it falls under a similar umbrella. I also understand that changing a character that provides diversity and representation to underrepresented people so that they fall more in line with 'white, heteronormative ideals' is kind of the other side of the coin concerning what I do. But is it really all that different?

I'd love to get some thoughts on this. I'm more so interested in hearing the opinions of people who had the same initial reaction as I did in regards to modding a character's skin color because I think I understand the reasons why people who don't find it objectionable well enough. Still, anyone who wants to take a shot at my question is more than welcome.
I mean, honestly you could make a separate thread about this. Many are going to share different mindsets about it for sure though.

As for what I think of the fanfiction part you mentioned about changing things...well, maybe it's best if I didn't go there at all.

But at the end of the day you have the right to do whatever you want as a fanfiction author. It's part of why fanfiction exists in the first place. It lets people create their own headcanons and share it with others.

Heisenberg726

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Let people be attracted to who they want to be attracted to. I'm fine with people not being attracted to whites, blacks, Asians, aliens, etc. It can seem a little odd, but people just have their preferences, like people prefer others with a certain hair color, eye color, and others. However, if you're not attracted to a person of the same race and refuse to even speak or interact with people of that race or make rude comments about them, then you are racist.

...I gotta admit though, changing the color of an already established character is pretty darn weird.

Lork

Oct 25, 2017

I'd love to get some thoughts on this. I'm more so interested in hearing the opinions of people who had the same initial reaction as I did in regards to modding a character's skin color because I think I understand the reasons why people who don't find it objectionable well enough. Still, anyone who wants to take a shot at my question is more than welcome.
There's nothing inherently wrong with changing a character or anything else about a game in the abstract, and I'd say the same goes for creating fan fiction based on other works. It's the author's motives for doing so that are being questioned here.

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
I think a big thing being conflated in this thread is "attraction" vs "sexual attraction". Having preferences for a certain shade of skin is the same as hair colour or height or any other physical trait. Saying "I'm not attracted to [race]" is very distinct from "I'm not sexually attracted to x coloured skin".

You can't control what jollies your rogers. I can see a beautiful black woman and go "boy she is attractive. but I'm not sexually attracted to her". Correct me if I'm wrong but according to some people in this thread, that's racist. (note: I am a male attracted to men, the above is simply an example)

As for the thread itself I personally think it's uncool to change the race or sexuality of an established character using mods. But at the same time I don't think you can start censoring that kind of thing either

Oct 27, 2017
What effort is being advocated beyond it being called out in this thread?
Nothing at the moment. Just discussing. I posted a short message explaining my thoughts when I entered the thread but i guess people wanted more replies to explain more about what i felt so i did. that post you just quoted was explaining the 'don't see the point in social policing' stance that people were inquiring and quoting me to elaborate upon. So, hope I clarified that enough.

Read my post again because you clearly didn't the first time. Like I said, the vast majority of people ITT have not asked for this stuff to be banned. It's just pointing attention to an issue.
The "issue" is the fact that racial preference still exists, and is manifesting in this way.
Let's not sugarcoat it. That is the issue. That much is clear, in the 10 pages of this thread.

Is a modder allowed to make a mod that caters to people with racial preferences? That is the big question mark in this thread.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah most those mods are weird but not all of them are downloaded for bad intentions. Maybe someone thinks the character looks better modded. Happens a lot with Elder Scrolls games.

For better or worse, mods offer this type of freedom, and I know people here aren't asking them to be banned, but it's just something that you'll always have to expect in the future.
As a frequent modder myself, it's true, especially in Dragon Age games where you can edit a character to start with. I've modded all the cast multiple times to make them look different. Liliana the most to try to get her to look like the Sacred Ashes trailer (I was so disappointed to find out that character was Liliana the whole time). When I got the PC version it was high on my things to do with mods. It's a change of scenery, I also modded the Aveline to look more rugged, and again less rugged.

I never touched the characters DA: Inquisition much though. I used a Sara and Cassandra mod just because. Viv stayed, though I think there was some mod for her that tweaked her shaders or look. She still look the same, just texture stuff, I couldn't tell the difference.

Probably this. Makeup and mask for an person from Orlesian high classed person.

kappa_krey

Banned
Jan 24, 2018
I think this might take the cake for most outrageous OP in a really long time. Like, calm down OP xD.

Here's the thing: if we're totally cool with mods of fair-skinned characters into dark-skinned characters, technically speaking (and I cannot stress this enough: as long as the intentions aren't from a position of malice or hatred), there isn't really anything that wrong with doing the opposite. Same goes with making chars from gay to bi or straight.

It's the modder's choice, and you can choose to support it by getting the mod, or not support it by ignoring the mod. But the choice being there to begin with just means more options for the community and while the topic at hand CAN be a touchy one, you have to at least not automatically assume that people making fairer-skinned mods are doing it because they hate the original characters. Yeah, a handful of modders may lean that way, but you can't assume every mod who does it, actually has that mentality.

If you're somehow thinking fair-skinned mods of dark-skinned characters is going to mean no one chooses the original characters, I don't know what to call that other than sheer paranoia. Seeing stuff like the fair-skin Menat for example kind of caught my eye for a minute, but that hasn't stopped the majority from defaulting to the original skin, and yes you may have people who *do* pick the fair-skinned version but there's nothing wrong with that as long as they aren't against playing with the original darker-skin version, as just one example. And I'm in the camp of guys who definitely prefers the original Menat skin, without question.

The whole changing sexual preferences from gay to bi/straight, maybe it's a bit trickier. In a lot of those cases the modder may be of the gender that character wouldn't get with, and since this is their opportunity to have some artistic license, they're well within their right to change the character's sexual gender preference if they want to entertain that fantasy. Again, as long as the modder doesn't have malice or spite for gay/lesbian chars etc., there shouldn't be an issue.

All of that said, modders can't 100% help how the community receiving the goods are gonna perceive them, and you can't hold bigotry that results from a handful of assholes in that regard on the shoulders of the modders. That isn't fair and it doesn't point attention at the problem within those instances.

Oct 25, 2017
It's stupid, but I just can't get that worked up over unofficial content. If they're truly that popular, that's of course disheartening for other reasons, but people can ultimately edit games however they want to make it more palatable to them, even if that entails them being racist fucks.

Falconbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Is a modder allowed to make a mod that caters to people with racial preferences? That is the big question mark in this thread.

I think so, yes. Just doing a quick search, there's a bunch of mods that are the exact reverse, making previously white characters dark-skinned.

Geralt in Witcher 3: https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/2404

Niko in GTAIV: https://www.gta-modding.com/area/index.php?act=view&id=330

That's the great thing about active PC modding communities. You can really play the games however you want and essentially get a character creation toolkit in many games that don't normally have them.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Oh look at that, I've fallen down the rabbit hole of Dragon Age youtube videos. That "This is War" theme makes the fan videos seem so professional. Looks like it's time for me to play through Origins again and just go through all 3. It's been so long since I modded DA Origins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHzOHp9_kPw

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
I think so, yes. Just doing a quick search, there's a bunch of mods that are the exact reverse, making previously white characters dark-skinned.

That's the great thing about active PC modding communities. You can really play the games however you want and essentially get a character creation toolkit in many games that don't normally have them.
There's a difference between "I want to play as someone who looks more like me" vs. "I only fuck the white ladies."

Deleted member 15326

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I can see the smirk on your face coming through the text lol

kappa_krey

Banned
Jan 24, 2018
Now try reading the thread.

Wow, what a constructive contribution. You're a shining example, that you are....

....I'll leave it at that.

Here's the thing, read the thread.

I did. You could cut at least 5% of that edge snark out of your comment and it might end up tasting good ;0

Someone missed the thread about Link's BotW design yesterday.

Seems like I may've; if there's some kind of link between the two, it's probably casual at best.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
79e86a1d6348479077344fcc1213e1e8.jpg

This is Isabela. She is a beautiful black lady. Of course, people did this:

V0TSF9j.png

IQgtDGl.png

Then there's Vivienne, an amazing black woman who fought her way into a position of power. So of course, this happened:

viviennewtf.jpg

I just. I'm so angry. It's like, seriously? People are so fucking fragile that they can't handle even a HINT of non-whiteness in their games? This goes for mods that make gay characters bi. Fuck off with that shit. Friendly reminder that if you use any of these kinds of mods you're garbage bye.

I haven't played any of the Dragon Age games, but from these posted examples, I actually prefer the modded versions in both cases. For Isabela, because they got rid of that piercing; and for Vivienne, because they made her lips a bit smaller. Would I go out of my way to download these mods? No, they're just NPCs and I generally only care how my player character looks, but others may not feel the same. My point is, I don't think it's fair of you to indiscriminately label every single person who downloaded these mods as "garbage" or assume they're racist, because you cannot possibly know what everybody's reasons were for using them.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played any of the Dragon Age games, but from these posted examples, I actually prefer the modded versions in both cases. For Isabela, because they got rid of that piercing; and for Vivienne, because they made her lips a bit smaller. Would I go out of my way to download these mods? No, they're just NPCs and I generally only care how my player character looks, but others may not feel the same. My point is, I don't think it's fair of you to indiscriminately label every single person who downloaded these mods as "garbage," because you cannot possibly know what everybody's reasons were for using them.
Nah, I'm pretty confident they're racist.

Deleted member 15326

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's pretty clear from the chain of events the mods in this case had racist motivation, the only question is whether you care or not

Rayne

Oct 25, 2017
As a frequent modder myself, it's true, especially in Dragon Age games where you can edit a character to start with. I've modded all the cast multiple times to make them look different. Liliana the most to try to get her to look like the Sacred Ashes trailer (I was so disappointed to find out that character was Liliana the whole time). When I got the PC version it was high on my things to do with mods. It's a change of scenery, I also modded the Aveline to look more rugged, and again less rugged.

I never touched the characters DA: Inquisition much though. I used a Sara and Cassandra mod just because. Viv stayed, though I think there was some mod for her that tweaked her shaders or look. She still look the same, just texture stuff, I couldn't tell the difference.

Probably this. Makeup and mask for an person from Orlesian high classed person.

I like the one that gives her wrinkles and makes her look older. Certain characters do digs at her age and she looks really young in vanilla. Which yeah I know magic but even the older mages still look their age for the most part. The ones that don't aren't fully human.

Rayne

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played any of the Dragon Age games, but from these posted examples, I actually prefer the modded versions in both cases. For Isabela, because they got rid of that piercing; and for Vivienne, because they made her lips a bit smaller. Would I go out of my way to download these mods? No, they're just NPCs and I generally only care how my player character looks, but others may not feel the same. My point is, I don't think it's fair of you to indiscriminately label every single person who downloaded these mods as "garbage" or assume they're racist, because you cannot possibly know what everybody's reasons were for using them.

Eh there's a mod that gets rid of the piercing (and gives her some goddamn pants) and keep her skin color.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
I think a big thing being conflated in this thread is "attraction" vs "sexual attraction". Having preferences for a certain shade of skin is the same as hair colour or height or any other physical trait. Saying "I'm not attracted to [race]" is very distinct from "I'm not sexually attracted to x coloured skin".

You can't control what jollies your rogers. I can see a beautiful black woman and go "boy she is attractive. but I'm not sexually attracted to her". Correct me if I'm wrong but according to some people in this thread, that's racist. (note: I am a male attracted to men, the above is simply an example)

As for the thread itself I personally think it's uncool to change the race or sexuality of an established character using mods. But at the same time I don't think you can start censoring that kind of thing either
Real poor example. Look at reported trends in online dating sites, or dating in general. Black women, especially darker skinned black women, get overlooked all the time or are outright told they're less attractive for their skin color.

These trends aren't "just preferences," they speak to ingrained societal attitudes towards race and attraction.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I like the one that gives her wrinkles and makes her look older. Certain characters do digs at her age and she looks really young in vanilla. Which yeah I know magic but even the older mages still look their age for the most part. The ones that don't aren't fully human.
Ah good point, I never thought of trying that. The beauty of mods.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
...this is stupid as hell. You can't control what you're attracted to. It has nothing to do with racism at all.

If you find an entire race unattractive? There is almost no way anyone can unequivocally say there is no member of a race they can find attractive. There are a near infinite number of physical permutations for any given race.

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
Real poor example. Look at reported trends in online dating sites, or dating in general. Black women, especially darker skinned black women, get overlooked all the time or are outright told they're less attractive for their skin color.

These trends aren't "just preferences," they speak to ingrained societal attitudes towards race and attraction.
That's unrelated to my example. I'm saying that having that preference isn't inherently racist like people in this thread are claiming. It's a sad truth that there is a lot of bias, and change will come over time with any luck, but I think it's disingenuous to say "there's this problem, therefore these people are racist"

If you find an entire race unattractive? There is almost no way anyone can unequivocally say there is no member of a race they can find attractive. There are a near infinite number of physical permutations for any given race.
It's not about race, it's about skin tone. Like hair colour or height you can have a preference or not find x thing sexually arousing. Conflating skin colour with race is another thing people are constantly doing in this thread which needs to be curbed.

Status
Not open for further replies.