• astrobot

Votes: 440 30.7%
  • other

Votes: 219 15.3%

• Total voters

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
It definitely ain't crash anymore like it once was. The thing about master chief and Mario is they have constantly been relevant throughout the life span of those two companies. You just can't say the same for Crash even though he was the OG.

Kratos is probably the most recognizable to the majority of people now and I also taught a kid who legally changed his name to Kratos years ago so he gets extra props for that I guess.

housequake

Aug 24, 2021
PS3 font and marketing, best selling PS4 game, launch PS5 game, gets exclusive content in other publisher's games on the platform?

Buddy it's Spider-Man.

Drachen

May 3, 2021
They don't have one to me 🤷🏻‍♂️

If we lived in a perfect world it would be the Ape Escape monkeys.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
My first thought was Sackboy being the global mascot and Toro being the mascot for Japan, but I guess Astro Bot is indeed a thing now. It could be all Astro. Haven't followed Toro's appearances close enough these past few years to know what the deal with him is nowadays.

Kratos seems like a popular answer, but I don't really see it. When I see Kratos, I personally just think of God of War; not Sony or PlayStation. Sackboy and Astro Bot feel like they're more closely tied to the brand to me. Astro Bot especially.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Kratos is definitely the mascot of modern PlayStation, but really, PlayStation has no one mascot. But Kratos is definitely the most recognizable and well known character

PettySpirit

Dec 23, 2018
I think the purpose of Astrobot is to literally be Sony's mascot. But if we're just talking about recognition/notoriety, it's probably Kratos.

Qurupeke

Oct 25, 2017
Crash was definitely sort of a mascot for PS1, but definitely not for anything beyond that. Sackboy, and Toro in Japan, also served similar roles, but they don't really do that anymore. Right now, Astro Bot seems like the closest thing to a mascot, but it's not like it's a mascot per se.

_zoipi

One Winged Slayer
Nov 23, 2017
Madrid
Realistically, Sony doesn't have nor will ever be. All characters are easilly disposable. Those who flourised on the PSX days were down on the PS2 days. From the PS2 days, only Kratos survives and is after a big revival. Nathan Drake was a PS3 mascot on itself, but now on PS4 only had one entry and a side entry. For PS4 we can say Aloy, but i doubt she will get another game soon after Wilds.

Ocirus

Dec 4, 2017
Weirdly enough they never maintained a thorough consistency with any first party character, from the beginning, for any brand mascot to come to mind. Like how Mario and Master Chief have consistently been utilized to a great degree. I guess their options from PS1 first party would've been... Crash? Maybe Sweet Tooth?.. PaRappa?

However, I do think they have a recognizable "mascot" that they've utilized really well in marketing in the past few consoles, and has been there since PS1: the PS controller symbols.

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 17, 2018
45147-m.webp

-Peabody-

Oct 29, 2017
Their studio intro video is very Marvel-like so they're probably going the "ensemble cast of mascots" route.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
Astro's the closest thing they have to a mascot at this point. They have plenty or recognizable characters, but that alone does not make them a mascot. Mascot's "speak for the brand" and are a major part of imaging and marketing.

Mario is the prime example of a true mascot. He's part of ads that have nothing to do with his games, he's the face of Nintendo Switch Online, and he's getting things like his own section of a theme park. Sonic's a mascot too, but he's not taking as prime a spot in their marketing these days.

Crash USED to be the mascot as he was in their ads, but that went away a LONG time ago.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think there's a singular answer for this. PlayStation is kind of unique in the sense that there are always new IPs and characters that come and go. Kratos, Nathan Drake, Crash, Ratchet, Sackboy, Ellie, Aloy all kind of can be used as Sony's mascot interchangably depending on how you look at it. More of an ensemble than anything.

Zero83

Oct 29, 2017
Oslo
Though it hasn't been an exclusive mascot since the late nineties, Crash is the one that comes to mind.

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
Other
They don't have one. I think of Sony the same as I think of movie studios: a bunch of big budget IPs with no one franchise standing above any of the others.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
They don't really have one nowadays. I guess Toro is still around in Japan, but they've not been relevant in the west since SFxT, and they were hardly even relevant there.
Astro Bot has the most mascot potential, but he needs to be in more things now that people are taking notice. I know the character in Playroom VR was different (basically the Ninten to Astro Bot's Ness), but he's been around for 5 years now, and it's only really this past year with the PS5 built in game that people have begun to take notice as a whole.

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
I'd go with Kratos since he's been their most visible character since he debuted on PS2. He's also Sony's favorite character to loan out as a guest in other games (more so back in the PS3 days, but he's in Fortnite, too).

Jun 20, 2018
I'm pretty sure they were quite open around the release of the original Playstation that they didn't like the idea of a mascot. This is not said in some console wars way, but at the time consoles definitely were for kids. Sony wanted the Playstation to be more like a VCR, that everyone had under their TV, rather than a toy for the kids.

Broseph

Mar 2, 2021
Triangle, Circle, X, Square

If you really want a character, either Crash Bandicoot or Kratos

carlsojo

Shinra Employee
Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Judging solely on the reaction to Kratos stepping out of the shadows in the God of War, it's Kratos.

After that probably Aloy. Aloy has kind of blown up pretty quickly, showing up in Fortnite and Genshin.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Way back, Crash. Ten years ago, Nathan Drake and Sackboy. Modern, I'd say Kratos for the West.

They haven't really had a mascot (again, in the West) for a while. Kratos just falls in place as highly recognizable and linked with PlayStation. They've pushed Astro a bit, but I don't think nearly as many would recognize him.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
Knack showed such a complete misunderstanding of what actually made a good mascot, it deserves to be remembered and be an actual poll option.

But seriously no one. Playstation's brand recognition goes way beyond any character on their roster, and afaic the same goes for Xbox.

Tailesque

Sep 28, 2021
Chicago
I don't think they really have one. Astro is the closest they've gotten, but I don't think they're deserving of mascot status, really.