pbayne

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
Lol feels like cheating but yep any mention of Type 0 is right

Funny that the op specifies post ps1 games cause i think 4 and 6 have tons of forgettable characters though that mostly because of how large the cast is in those games.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Its weird the US box-art put Amarant on the cover when he doesn't join forever.

Fuck I wanna play FFIX right now but the port sucks.
The PC version has a bunch of mods to run faster and improve the backgrounds (and even one to incorporate Beatrix into the plot as a party member), but I don't think there's been a fix for the 8-way movement or giant battle menus.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
It's Quina. She could be skipped entirely on Disc 1 and most of her backstory was explained in a tedious frog catching sidequest that most people avoided. Her only real impact on the story was to accidentally find that tunnel to the northern continent and never even really forged bonds with other characters as she admitted she was only on the journey to find new things to eat.

Amarant is a character with a reputation in the in-game world before you even meet him (wanted in Treno), has a backstory connecting him to the other characters (framed by Zidane), enters the plot in an actual meaningful way (hired as bounty hunter by Queen Brahne) and forms a bond with Freya across their journey. I'm surprised to see him mentioned here.

Arsic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No one even knows the name of the cowboy guy from 8 and you guys even have posts for Amarants name and more.

No one is more forgettable than cowboy guy cuz I can't even recall his name lmaoZ

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think its penelo at least kimahri has a story Arc.
Second that big Guy from Laguna party
Third amarant

AwakenedCloud

Oct 27, 2017
Uh, Penelo is playable...

She's not controllable in cities, since no one but Vaan is, which might've been what you meant.
I forgot that anyone can be controlled in the "combat" environments due to the nature of the game, but what I was implying is that she she could have ostensibly taken Vaan's spot as the "main" character. I know almost nothing in the game revolves around him, but he is the flagship Cloud, Squall, Tidus equivalent character whether the game treats him like it or not.

Deleted member 41651

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
As much as I like VIII, those who mentioned Irvine win the thread. It has been like two decades and this dude has never once popped into my mind during the countless inane FF discussions and boards I've been to.

SpecDot

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It has to be Orran Durai in my opinion.
lol sike. Final Fantasy Tactics is a masterpiece and my man Orran is one loyal dude.
It has to be Eiko. She sucks.

Ultratech

Oct 25, 2017
Ward_Zabac.jpg

This is actually a good answer.

Prof Bathtub

Apr 26, 2018
It's Quina. She could be skipped entirely on Disc 1 and most of her backstory was explained in a tedious frog catching sidequest that most people avoided. Her only real impact on the story was to accidentally find that tunnel to the northern continent and never even really forged bonds with other characters as she admitted she was only on the journey to find new things to eat.

Amarant is a character with a reputation in the in-game world before you even meet him (wanted in Treno), has a backstory connecting him to the other characters (framed by Zidane), enters the plot in an actual meaningful way (hired as bounty hunter by Queen Brahne) and forms a bond with Freya across their journey. I'm surprised to see him mentioned here.

On the other hand, a good deal of the active time events are joke scenes involving Quina, so I'd say s/he gets a lot of exposure during the course of the game, even if the plot impact is minimal.

Amarant is rather extraneous, but it feels like he's always brought up when discussing the game as a whole, since he stands apart from the rest of the more developed cast, so I don't know if he's forgotten in that sense. Forgettableness is pretty subjective though.

CrocodileGrin

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Most/all of the Type-0 cast.
If we're going with any FF game, I'd go with this. I remember Ace. I remember Seven because she reminded me of Lightning. The rest? I remember some of the names but not their weapons, or vice versa.

I'll also go with Cait Sith. Probably the least memorable party member from that game. A friend was asking me once about what the characters were like because he was thinking of picking up the re-release of VII on PS4 and I was going over the different party members. As I went over each member, Cait Sith popped in my brain. I was left speechless because I didn't know how to explain to them the concept of what they were.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
I can't even take those posts seriously. In fact I wouldn't be shocked if most of those posts had to follow up who they love they would say Tifa and we all know both fans can't get the fuck over their shitty shipping wars.

Ikr. Surprised to see so many VIII mentions. It's one of the only FF's for me where I can remember every single character. There was just something about them living the student life that I could relate to when I played it for the first time as a teenager.

dreamlongdead

Nov 5, 2017
Definitely Amarant for me.

I can't think a single memorable action or line of dialogue from him. Why did he even join your party?

Runners up would be Irvine, Quistis, Penelo, and Fran for being irrelevant during most of the games they're from. But at least each of them had a scene or two where they did shine.

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I was gonna say Amarant, but I actually remembered him, unlike anyone from Final Fantasy VIII.

KaCo

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
May 22, 2018
Interesting answers, personally the most important aspect that help me remember a character is what mechanics they have rather than their involvement with the main plot. So usually I have no problems.

However, for the life of me I can't remember this guy apart from 'He hit things with a big anchor'.

harry the spy

Oct 25, 2017
Guy with red hair from ffix for sure for me. Other characters may suck more, but I remember at least their names or the tiniest factoid about them. Red hair dude I don't remember the slightest thing except he was a broody fucker.

Dreamboum

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I can't remember the usefulness of half the cast of FF10 to save myself. Outside of Tidus - Auron - Yuna everyone else were just stragglers

Lulu has a two-lines backstory at most. Considering how leecherous the camera is, they would have made it away with just a pair of breasts in lieu of a character if they could.

Dreamboum

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I forgot that anyone can be controlled in the "combat" environments due to the nature of the game, but what I was implying is that she she could have ostensibly taken Vaan's spot as the "main" character. I know almost nothing in the game revolves around him, but he is the flagship Cloud, Squall, Tidus equivalent character whether the game treats him like it or not.
Gabranth is the flagship a lot of the time. Remember his appeareance in Dissidia before Vaan? He's also the logo art of the game.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Selphie is definitely up there. I guess I would have said Quistis if I hadn't just beaten World of Final Fantasy.

Man, 8 has a rough cast.

Deleted member 17658

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Selphie is definitely up there. I guess I would have said Quistis if I hadn't just beaten World of Final Fantasy.

Man, 8 has a rough cast.
I can't blame the cast but more of the fact that they chose to focus more on Squall and Rinoa in a game where there are 4 other main characters constantly present not including Laguna and his buddies.

Oct 27, 2017
I recently replayed FFIX and Amarant is actually a pretty cool character. Quina is great comic relief.

I don't really see any FF characters as "forgettable" though. Now, some of them are uninteresting (completely subjective).

I would say that everyone in VIII outside of Squall is thoroughly underdeveloped. Cait Sith is too bizarre to take seriously. Snow is one of the most annoying characters in the history of the genre.

InfiniDragon

Oct 25, 2017
It's Kiros and Ward (VIII). Anyone who says it's not them hasn't played FFVIII or forgot about them and will change their answer to them afterward, lol.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
It's Kiros and Ward (VIII). Anyone who says it's not them hasn't played FFVIII or forgot about them and will change their answer to them afterward, lol.
They barely count tbh. There are probably other temporary party members in the series that are even more forgettable if people like them count.

Also Kiros is memorable because of his run.

InfiniDragon

Oct 25, 2017
They barely count tbh. There are probably other temporary party members in the series that are even more forgettable if people like them count.

Is he? I sure don't remember it lol.

I can more clearly recall Baigan joining you for two seconds as a troll before being a boss in IV than those guys. But if you want only full time members my vote goes to Amarant and Quina (though I liked Amarant's design).

KaCo

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
May 22, 2018

Ah, Ward. Started to remember it began with a W and Wilfred came to mind lmao. Probably should schedule another playthrough...

Also, some of ya'll need to unequip your GF because it ain't doing you any good.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
It's probably Irvine IF his Limit Break wasn't the third most broken in the game. Load him up with Dark Bullets and enemies will melt

Omegamon

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cowboy guy from VIII. People say Quina or Amarant because at least they vaguely remember them, everyone forgets cowboy guy.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
The real forgettable Final Fantasy character was the Amarants we made along the way.

And Quistis ain't forgettable you uncultured savages.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
Quistis will never be forgettable as long as she has optic blasts, machine gun jubblies, and Bad Breath as an attack. Plus she mans a machine gun very well.

I legit don't think I've thought about Amarant in years

Deleted member 17658

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I loved Kiros design.

I also loved how he was the logic man behind crazy ass Laguna. But he always value'd the friendship above everything even though he obviously showed contempt to Laguna's wild idea's.

ReginaldXIV

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
Anyone who isn't Vivi in FFIX.

Anyone who isn't Shantotto in FFXI (mostly because 90% of the cast have names that are indecipherable)

Minfillia and Haurchefant from FFXIV :) ;_;