Who is Xbox's best first-party developer?

• One of the new Bethesda studios

Votes: 424 57.4%
  • One of Xbox's original 15 first-party developers

Votes: 315 42.6%

• Total voters

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
in my mind

tie between machinegames, ninja theory and obsidian

they make good shit with small teams and sometimes faster than anyone else.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
I wasn't huge on Arkane's games. Playground would be my pick. That could change depending on Fable though.

Also World's Edge isn't really a development studio from what I understand, they just manage the Age of Empires IP. IIRC Lucas Arts is kinda the same way now since Disney bought Star Wars.

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
Arkane, BGS, idSoft >>>>>>

Obsidian at their best is up there, though.
My thoughts exactly. Arkane and BGS are in another stratosphere for me, but idSoft is great too.

Haven't played Outer Worlds yet (waiting for Steam release next month), so jury is still out for me on Obsidian (though I loved New Vegas).

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
Playground, then Arkane, then id, then Obsidian.

Arkane is such a meaningful get for Microsoft, seriously.

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
That's gonna be contemporary Rare as a developer; Sea of Thieves is just a defining social game of the generation. And I gotta give a nod to Rare's history of IP and the potential still there.

I hope finding partners to develop Rare's old IP, like Banjo, is part of Microsoft's current spending spree. Bethesda really rounds out XGS for much of the demographic, but it'd be quite some sight to have Rare's old IP firing off too within the next years. Battletoads 2020 was hopefully just the appetizer of a new push. A Mascot Originals corner of Game Pass would be something, with Razputin, the bear and the bird and many old and new faces.

TripOpt55

Oct 25, 2017
Arkane in my opinion. I LOVE the Dishonored series and Prey was really cool too. They've become one of my favorite developers.

thevid

Puzzle Master
Oct 25, 2017
For me it's Arkane and it's not even close. Hoping to see a sequel to Prey in the future.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Arkane all day every day. id and Playground up there too.

Obsidian are a shell of what they once were IMO. Outer Worlds was a hollow, pointless experience for me.

Jun 20, 2018
Almost certainly one of the new acquisitions. Playground have never put out a game that's not amazing but racing games don't usually stand out as much when looking back. Fable will be such a big deal for them.

Nov 28, 2017
RZYB7WD.jpg

Any other answer, is obviously WRONG and NO, you're NOT allowed to have an opinion on this.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
It's Arkane. When they're not doing support work like with Fallout 76, Wolfenstein Youngblood or similar, they're the best western developer out there. I hope Microsoft keeps them on own projects all the time from now on.

sinny

Oct 28, 2017
For me the answer is no doubt one of the new devs

Arkane
Bethesda
Obsidian
Id
Tango

then
Playground games

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I got a lot of love for the original Xbox Studios. Rare, 343i, Coalition and Playground games IMO all produce really exciting and high quality games of staple Xbox franchises so those are my favorite....

But of the bethesda studios its easily machine games and ID software.

Caspar

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Based on there output in say the last decade my top 10 would be:
  1. Arkane
  2. id Software
  3. Playground Games
  4. Machine Games
  5. Tango Gameworks
  6. Obsidian
  7. Bethesda
  8. Ninja Theory
  9. The Coalition
  10. Rare

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
I'd still go with Turn 10. Being able to pump out a racing franchise with bi-yearly installments isn't easy, but they go a long way in managing to make it fresh and improve on each game instead of just adding new cars.

Playground Games is an honorable mention, but I'll need to see how Fable turns out.