Who is Xbox's best first-party developer?

• One of the new Bethesda studios

Votes: 424 57.4%
  • One of Xbox's original 15 first-party developers

Votes: 315 42.6%

• Total voters

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Can't choose, I'm just amazed at all the talent on display on that list. The future for Xbox/PC has never looked brighter!

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Probably BGS for me. I wasn't a huge fan of FO4, and FO 76 did absolutely nothing for me, but they are super ambitious, and have made at least two of my favorite games ever, so I'm really hopeful Starfield can live up to what we all know their potential is.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Out of the ones that have released games and I'm familiar with... I'd have to go with either id or Obsidian Entertainment

Curios to see how well Tango Gameworks is supported. Hopefully really well, since it's their only (I think?) Japanese dev.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
iD tech and Arkane. also please make BGS use iD tech for pete's sake.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
In terms of quality:
  1. Playground FH Team
  2. id
  3. Arkane
In terms of my favorite franchises
  1. BGS TES
  2. 343i
  3. Playground's Fable team

rrost

Banned
Jul 20, 2018
Probably Arkane or Playground. Though as a Mikami fan keeping an eye on Tango Gameworks too. As for the worst Bethesda is the worst AAA developer currently working, right down there with EA studios.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Can't choose, I'm just amazed at all the talent on display on that list. The future for Xbox/PC has never looked brighter!

It's an ansolutely absurd amount of studios to have under one organization. They're gonna be good at RPGs, at FPS/TPS, at driving games, at immersive sims, at co-op games, at service games, at strategy games and so many other things. They have both the variety as well as the specialization.

This is gonna be an amazing generation for Xbox :)

Last edited:

Pulp

Nov 4, 2017
Arkane number 1 for sure. Obsidian is great as well. I prefer the Bethsda catalog in general in fact. Hopefully some of these other aqusitions will deliver as well. A lot of great talent there.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
After the first few it becomes pretty tricky, because it feels like a question of potential more than the quality of their recent output. Top three would be Arkane, id and Playground for me, in some order. Rare, Obisidan and Ninja Theory are probably the three that I'm really quite excited about for the immediate future. With a lot of the devs, like BGS or 343i or The Coalition or Turn 10, they've got the IP and the funding to generate great games, but their recent output has been so underwhelming. There's also a good few where it's just a total unknown.

I hope that within five years time the absurd potential of this developer lineup has turned into something truly tangible.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
Bethesda Game Studios. Fallout and The Elder Scrolls are two of the biggest franchises out there.
Arkane is second.

JohnLennon

May 16, 2020
I still can't wrap my head around all the studios Xbox has. Considering many of these are working on multiple projects, they currently have about 35 teams working on games.

CRIPES

Xumbrega

Oct 25, 2017
Brasil
Alright, I'll try to rank them all..

(not ranking the mobile developer, The Initiative and World's Edge that has yet to release a game, also not ranking the Global Publishing since that's a total wildcard)

1 - Obsidian Entertainment
2 - Arkane Studios
3 - Playground Games
4 - ID Software
5 - Bethesda Game Studios
6 - Ninja Theory
7 - Rare
8 - inXile
9 - Turn10
10 - Tango Gameworks
11 - Double Fine
12 - The Coalition
13 - MachineGames
14 - 343 Industries
15 - Roundhouse Studios
16 - Mojang Studios
17 - Zenimax Online
18 - Undead Labs
19 - Compulsion

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
ID Software and/or Playground Games.

I love Arkane, too. Hell, I like a LOT of these teams.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Bethesda makes Elder Scrolls. Regardless of your feelings for Oblivion and Skyrim and where they differ from earlier titles, these games are insanely popular and highly rated.

NuKER

Dec 15, 2017
Portugal
I would say Playground after they show the new fable game.
Right now im inclined to say ID because of their tech.

LordBlodgett

Jan 10, 2020
Ehhh, hard choice. Playground are wizards, and Obsidian are amazing storytellers. Rare made a pretty awesome game in sea of Thieves, but has been hit or miss. Arkane has been amazing for a long time, and Id is super quality as well. I think it depends on your style of game. In terms of long term sustained quality I'd have to go Playground or Arkane

calibos

Dec 13, 2017
I still can't believe this is an actual thing.

Imagine how much these new studios will push some of the other studios forward once they are in network.

My top pick is impossible but I love Bethesda, ID, Arkane, Tango, and Playground. The Coalition and Ninja Theory are amazingly talented art studios as well...I can't pick...too many great studios.

OP
OP
Montresor

Montresor

Oct 27, 2017
My top five are all pre-Bethesda, but I still love some of those Bethesda studios:

1. Ninja Theory
  2. Playground Games
  3. The Coalition
  4. Obsidian Entertainment
  5. 343 Industries

But this may change whenever I play Ghostwire: Tokyo, Doom Eternal, or Wolfenstein II.

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
For me it's Obsidian, then Bethesda Game Studios. I'm a massive fan of Obsidian though. There's also InXile that I'd pay attention to. Between them and Zenimax Online (for ESO) the amount of RPGs Microsoft are going to be able to pump out has me extremely excited for what's to come.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Bethesda without a doubt for me personally. No dev they have comes close to the amount of time I've spent with Bethesda's titles. And I love their other devs don't get me wrong.

ThatNerdGUI

Prophet of Truth
Mar 19, 2020
Based on tech achievements alone I have to do with Id Software. Technology wise they're far ahead of the curve and they also make great games.

Emrober5

Oct 27, 2017
It is one of the new studios. id, arkane, machine games, all incredible work in recent years.

That being said...I am more and more impressed with the Coalition in recent years. Obsidian has been excellent as well.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Bethesda Game Studios in my opinion.

This will be solidified when Starfield releases.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
From a technical perspective The Coalition is a good step ahead of all the others, with Turn10 / Playground Games just behind at #2 and #3.

id have the best performing technology in the whole industry. While Coalition have done fantastic things with Unreal Engine, they're still using someone else's engine. id built the best performing engine on the market themselves. id are number 1 from a technical perspective.