Who was the most boring DLC newcomer to Smash Ultimate?

• Hero

Votes: 105 5.0%
  • Byleth

Votes: 1,093 52.5%
  • Min Min

Votes: 123 5.9%
  • Steve

Votes: 225 10.8%
  • Pyra

Votes: 151 7.3%
  • Kazuya

Votes: 306 14.7%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 79 3.8%

• Total voters

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Folks who aren't Geriatric Millennials.

Like, you don't get to be up in arms about that when you're using zoomer as the exact kind of pejorative you assume I'm using. Either they both are or neither is.

(and I'm 28 dammit. Nobody my age is a zoomer, I've never even played Minecraft)

Goldbob

Sep 21, 2020
Byleth, both because of the over saturation of Fire Emblem characters and because they're a lifeless self insert character

TwoPikachus

Nov 15, 2018
Folks who aren't Geriatric Millennials.

Like, you don't get to be up in arms about that when you're using zoomer as the exact kind of pejorative you assume I'm using. Either they both are or neither is.

(and I'm 28 dammit. Nobody my age is a zoomer, I've never even played Minecraft)
Zoomer isn't anymore a pejorative than millennial is.

Stop being obtuse, learn from your mistake and move on.

Jan 29, 2018
I'm with you on the stages. Probably my biggest issue with Ultimate was the lack of new stages.

As for the final fighter, I'm personally hoping for Ryu Hayabusa, but there are a lot of characters I'd be cool with. I'd take Rayman, Crash, Dixie Kong, Master Chief, Scorpion (if he comes with the MK movie theme), and plenty of others. Like you said, there are so many characters to play that I'm pretty content there.

I would really like a few more large stages like Hyrule Temple. I hope whoever the last fighter is comes with a big stage that's fun for 4 player matches.

I'd be happy with any of the characters you mentioned. I'm sure I'll get the second batch of characters eventually, just for completion's sake. I'm kinda surprised they didn't announce the final character at E3, just so they could stop anchoring Directs with Smash after all these years.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd be happy with any of the characters you mentioned. I'm sure I'll get the second batch of characters eventually, just for completion's sake. I'm kinda surprised they didn't announce the final character at E3, just so they could stop anchoring Directs with Smash after all these years.

The final character wasn't at E3 because now Smash still gets talked about for another two to three months when the last character drops and has all the attention for themself.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Byleth was the most anti-hype character they could have possibly ended the first pass with, so them. Looking forward to Nintendo doing it again by saving another boring predictable character for last in this Fighter's Pass like Cinderace or... well, another anime swordsman.

Jan 29, 2018
The final character wasn't at E3 because now Smash still gets talked about for another two to three months when the last character drops and has all the attention for themself.

That's kinda why I'm surprised. I'd think Nintendo would rather use that attention to sell a game instead of a Smash character at some point. Clearly it works for them though.

Also Piranha Plant is great. I wish more of the characters were goofy, out-there choices like that.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
That's kinda why I'm surprised. I'd think Nintendo would rather use that attention to sell a game instead of a Smash character at some point. Clearly it works for them though.
No Smash character reveal in any Direct has ever taken time away from another game that could have been in that Direct. If they really wanted to market another game, they'd have just included it in the presentation along with the Smash character.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I extra don't like Byleth because some douche-y user here was trying to talk down on me that having a shitty cardboard character is better than having a PoC. Put that asshole on ignore.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I extra don't like Byleth because some douche-y user here was trying to talk down on me that having shitty cardboard character is better than having a PoC. Put that asshole on ignore.
You mean the central character of the game as opposed to a Lord that only represents a third of the full package?

dgamemaster

Jun 29, 2020
Moveset wise, the one character that feels very boring in regards to creativity is probably Banjo. Barely anyone remembers that moveset/plays him anymore.

I don't think any character is boring in regards to them actually being a boring choice. I think Byleth wasn't the best choice but it could have been Edelgard. There isn't a thing as an ultra boring smash addition, all additions bring something to the table IMO. (and the people voting Steve/Kazuya, IDK what they are thinking tbh)

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Moveset wise, the one character that feels very boring in regards to creativity is probably Banjo. Barely anyone remembers that moveset/plays him anymore.

I don't think any character is boring in regards to them actually being a boring choice. I think Byleth wasn't the best choice but it could have been Edelgard. There isn't a thing as an ultra boring smash addition, all additions bring something to the table IMO. (and the people voting Steve/Kazuya, IDK what they are thinking tbh)

It's great that nobody plays Banjo because it means they never see me coming when I hit them with the ol' razzle dazzle.

The ol' razzle dazzle is baiting with Grenade Eggs and then punishing moves with Wonderwing.

AnimeAvatar

Apr 28, 2021
Probably Min Min. I would've said Steve because I just don't give a shit about Minecraft (before someone writes an essay I know why Minecraft deserves to be in it just wasn't for me) but after playing both characters at least Steve has a unique moveset. Min Min is just so...boring. And I like Arms! Probably more than most people. And I was happy Arms got a rep but I don't know for some reason when Min Min was finally revealed I was just...whelmed.

Aug 13, 2019
It's Byleth without a doubt. If Smash absolutely needed an FE rep from the new game, Edelgard, Dimitri, or Claude would have all been superior choices.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Can't say I've found any of them boring tbh. Least interesting pick would go to Byleth for me though. Way better characters they could have pulled from 3H.

Also some uncultured folks in here picking Kazuya. Character ain't even out yet too.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
Out of every DLC character Byleth was the only one that was pretty boring. Hard to get excited for the Fire Emblem series getting its third consecutive self-insert blank slate character.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
All the characters have been super fun, but Byleth is for sure the most boring they could have picked. Still don't think Fire Emblem needed a DLC character. So few characters were added as is in Ultimate why it got to be an FE character as 1 of the limited DLC spots? Y'all got Chrom! Frankly as pointless as Corrin was.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Reveal wise I wasn't a fan of the byleth but man byleth is fun to play

Banjo is probably the least used dlc character for me though such a boring moveset

lambdaupsilon

Apr 17, 2018
banjo is the most boring one to actually play
but that requires you to get past the Gamer Fantasy Football that is smash speculation

King Dodongo

Oct 27, 2017
Easily Steve or Kazuya.

Steve because he was a waste of a slot.

Kazuya was so boring not even era reacted to him at all.

As I said Amaterasu would have easily made more impact.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Easily Steve or Kazuya.

Steve because he was a waste of a slot.

Kazuya was so boring not even era reacted to him at all.

As I said Amaterasu would have made more reactions.

Minecraft is the literal best selling video game of all time. They adapted Steve so perfectly that playing as him is basically playing Minecraft.

Like if we're talking about Smash as a video game hall of fame then Minecraft belongs more than anything beyond, like, Mario and Pokemon.

King Dodongo

Oct 27, 2017
Minecraft is the literal best selling video game of all time. They adapted Steve so perfectly that playing as him is basically playing Minecraft.

Like if we're talking about Smash as a video game hall of fame then Minecraft belongs more than anything beyond, like, Mario and Pokemon.

Yeah but he was so forced. Literally people used him one week and then forgot, his moveset was aimed for trolling and that's it. Felt more shoved down than anything IMO.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah but he was so forced. Literally people used him one week and then forgot, his moveset was aimed for trolling and that's it. Felt more shoved down than anything IMO.
I don't know how you can say Steve was "shoved in" when they had to make adjustments to every existing stage in the game to accommodate how he plays.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Look I am as big as a Banjo boomer can be but we're talking Minecraft here. It's been a cultural gaming phenomenon for a decade solid.

That's not "this thing is popular we need to get in on that", and I reject the notion that Steve was some low effort stocking filler when every single level had to be modified to accommodate his unique mechanics.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
I'm not saying Kazuya's inclusion doesn't make sense but he's boring af. Klonoa would've been a much more interesting choice as a fighter but Bamco remains stubborn and refuses to give the IP another chance after so many other platformer mascots have seen successful revivals over the past several years.

This is the consolation prize I'm hoping for now. Just give my boi any kind of representation in Smash. Please.
To be frank I cannot see Klonoa even being on a top 20 list for characters Namco would want to rep them in this game. Kazuya at least has a lot of history to him, they could have easily forced someone from like Tales of Arise or Code Vein in if they wanted.

In terms of cartoony Namco reps I feel like the only likely ones would have been the Prince from Katamari, Dig Dug/Mr Driller or even Don-chan from Taiko Drum Master.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't followed the most recent tournaments so I'll take your word for it.
I have him in my roster because I bought the pack but yeah I used him once or twice and didnt click with me.
I hate how the CPU uses him as well.

This isn't squarely aimed at you so much as everyone who says it, but "I don't see the character too often" isn't a measure of their popularity, it means the game has nearly 90 characters.