Oct 27, 2017
With Nintendo Switch, Nintendo has once again, eschewed cutting edge tech and high-end graphics, for a unique hardware interface. In this case, a dock-able tablet-like console with detachable motion controllers, that can be played at home and on the go, and shared with friends for multiplayer. While many fans admire Nintendo's outside the box thinking with its hardware and software, there are still those who are disappointed that Nintendo has, for the third home console in a row, decided not to peruse competitive hardware, meaning that many AAA third party titles will likely end up skipping the console.

But what I want to know is, why are there still those who want Nintendo to be the place to play all the latest and greatest third party blockbusters? The thinking goes that, if Nintendo makes a traditional, no-nonsense, no-gimmick, serious console. They will automatically get all the third party support needed, that combined with Nintendo's first party games will make them be the #1 place to play them on because everyone wants Nintendo's games. While Nintendo is certainly capable of putting out a PS4, even PS4-Pro like console if they wanted to. That's not really something that plays to their strengths. With the Switch, Nintendo is providing more of an alternative rather than one of the big boys. Everything about the Switch is designed to embrace audiences and game types that the other two don't focus on nearly as much. It was designed to be a console where ideas, not budgets can take the center stage. What do I mean? All throughout last year, countless indie, and middle-tier titles have found a lot of success on the Switch, many of them outperforming their PS4 and Xbox One counterparts. The Flame in the Flood, Puyo Puyo Tetris, recently Celeste, even blatant cash-grabs like Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers have surpassed expectations. It's a combination of two things. First, because the Switch doesn't have as many AAA blockbusters, there's more room for these games to breathe, and become noteworthy titles. Second, the core target audiences of the Switch, and the mobile nature of the platform are far more conducive to these types of games than PS4 or Xbox One.

That's the Switch's secret weapon. Not trying to chase all the latest AAA console games, but provide an outlet where alternative games and developers can truly shine. It's a unique, happy medium between the simplicity and accessibility of mobile gaming, and the versatility and gameplay of a home console. So in that context, I don't feel Nintendo needs to be the premiere platform for AAA titles, so long as they're the premiere platform for alternative styles.

EDIT: For the record, I'm not saying ports of AAA titles (especially older ones) don't have a home on the Switch, they certainly do if possible. I'm just saying that's not really the main focus of the Switch from a third party stand point.

Last edited:

JustSomeone

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because people want to play both Nintendo's games and third party games without paying for two systems?

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because the Switch is selling very well unlike the Wii U and the Switch is not that far off in terms of power from the other consoles so ports of big AAA games are generally possible.

Ometeotl

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's port-begging taken to the extreme in the hopes of hiding that it's port-begging.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
Adds more value proposition to a Nintendo system.

Its mainly why I don't mind old/late ports to Switch. Im more than happy to have things like Kingdom Hearts/RDR or Injustice/MKX on Switch. Especially fighters since multiplayer is the focus

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Historically third parties have brought some interesting stuff to Nintendo platforms, at least when Nintendo have managed to create a platform that third parties can succeed on.

I love Nintendo's internally developed stuff, but generally I think there are some great projects that come from them being less insular.

The Switch being a hit among gamers means lots of third parties are considering their options for what games might fit a Nintendo platform. This is a good thing.

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
People want their cake and eat it too. Instead of having to purchase two consoles to get all the latest and greatest titles they want to purchase just one: the Nintendo console that has all the greatest third party releases along with the standard Nintendo fare.

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because people want to play both Nintendo's games and third party games without paying for two systems?
Yeah and don't forget some people just have not much time to game anymore so portability is also a huge factor.

Personally, using my Switch is way more comfortable to play than on my PC or PS4, because you are not bonded to the TV, it makes it much easier for me to enjoy big games. Also, playing seperately with each joycon is so comfy...

I never understood why people insist on Nintendo having third party support that is equal to it's competitors. You already have a PlayStation, Xbox or PC that can play whatever third party game you want. Nintendo hasn't had significant third party support for core gamers since the SNES. Why expect it now? I've always bought Nintendo systems to play Nintendo games.
I too buy Nintendo consoles for those Nintendo games, but a steady flow of third party games will help the system both in sales and appreciation. The Switch has also a huge bonus over any other platform and that is portability

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
I never understood why people insist on Nintendo having third party support that is equal to it's competitors. You already have a PlayStation, Xbox or PC that can play whatever third party game you want. Nintendo hasn't had significant third party support for core gamers since the SNES. I've always bought Nintendo systems with the expectation of mostly playing Nintendo games.

If I were to buy an iPhone, I'd logically use Apple's suite of software too. I'm an Android user in reality though. I use Google's apps so I can get the full benefit of their services and APIs. Everything is synched and talks to one another.

With the Switch, however, I can understand wanting to have a portable version of your favorite third party game or franchise. But the Switch is only a recent phenomenon. So past grievances still baffle me.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Because some people will never stop chasing the 16-bit era dragon, the last generation when you could own just Nintendo's console and reasonably play all the major third party titles of note at the same level of quality as or better than the competition. The Gamecube came pretty close but wasn't on the level of ubiquity that the SNES was.

It's never coming back. Nintendo systems are for playing Nintendo games and whatever platform specific titles third parties and indies choose to put on them. They will never be viable primary consoles again in the sense of providing a comprehensive third party library representing their generation. It's simply not Nintendo's business model and hasn't been for a long time.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm more than fine with the Switch as it is right now, but most people consider having a healthy stream of third party games for their system something they should be able to take for granted. Having to own multiple platforms sucks, but so does skipping on Nintendo games.

Rainrir

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With Nintendo Switch, Nintendo has once again, eschewed cutting edge tech and high-end graphics, for a unique hardware interface. In this case, a dock-able tablet-like console with detachable motion controllers, that can be played at home and on the go, and shared with friends for multiplayer. While many fans admire Nintendo's outside the box thinking with its hardware and software, there are still those who are disappointed that Nintendo has, for the third home console in a row, decided not to peruse competitive hardware, meaning that many AAA third party titles will likely end up skipping the console.

But what I want to know is, why are there still those who want Nintendo to be the place to play all the latest and greatest third party blockbusters? The thinking goes that, if Nintendo makes a traditional, no-nonsense, no-gimmick, serious console. They will automatically get all the third party support needed, that combined with Nintendo's first party games will make them be the #1 place to play them on because everyone wants Nintendo's games. While Nintendo is certainly capable of putting out a PS4, even PS4-Pro like console if they wanted to. That's not really something that plays to their strengths. With the Switch, Nintendo is providing more of an alternative rather than one of the big boys. Everything about the Switch is designed to embrace audiences and game types that the other two don't focus on nearly as much. It was designed to be a console where ideas, not budgets can take the center stage. What do I mean? All throughout last year, countless indie, and middle-tier titles have found a lot of success on the Switch, many of them outperforming their PS4 and Xbox One counterparts. The Flame in the Flood, Puyo Puyo Tetris, recently Celeste, even blatant cash-grabs like Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers have surpassed expectations. It's a combination of two things. First, because the Switch doesn't have as many AAA blockbusters, there's more room for these games to breathe, and become noteworthy titles. Second, the core target audiences of the Switch, and the mobile nature of the platform are far more conducive to these types of games than PS4 or Xbox One.

That's the Switch's secret weapon. Not trying to chase all the latest AAA console games, but provide an outlet where alternative games and developers can truly shine. It's a unique, happy medium between the simplicity and accessibility of mobile gaming, and the versatility and gameplay of a home console. So in that context, I don't feel Nintendo needs to be the premiere platform for AAA titles, so long as they're the premiere platform for alternative styles.

EDIT: For the record, I'm not saying ports of AAA titles (especially older ones) don't have a home on the Switch, they certainly do if possible. I'm just saying that's not really the main focus of the Switch from a third party stand point.

Its simple, with no 3P, it is Nintendo vs the whole industry on the rival platform

This is a fight Nintendo cannot win, no matter how talented or groundbreaking they are. This is not a Musou game, one man (company) cannot stand against an army (industry).

But only fanboys will care if Nintendo lives or dies.

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Yeah and don't forget some people just have not much time to game anymore so portability is also a huge factor.

Personally, using my Switch is way more comfortable to play than on my PC or PS4, because you are not bonded to the TV, it makes it much easier for me to enjoy big games. Also, playing seperately with each joycon is so comfy...

I too buy Nintendo consoles for those Nintendo games, but a steady flow of third party games will help the system both in sales and appreciation. The Switch has also a huge bonus over any other platform and that is portability

The last part of my post mentions that very fact: The Switch's portability is a huge selling point. Being able to play Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed or whatever, anywhere, sounds like a fantastic idea.

CQC

Oct 25, 2017
I get the desire, but I find it hard for it to ever be a complete 1:1.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
When was the last time that was even the case? The NES? Lol.

Obviously people want more games on their console of choice, and the Switch has already had some wonderful 3rd-party ports and original titles (Skyrim, Bomberman, tons of indies...). But I think anyone wishing for it to be "the be-all-end-all platform" knows they are kidding themselves. Many third party games will simply never cross over because of a design that can only run on more powerful hardware. And, conversely, there will be games that remain exclusive to the Switch by taking full advantage of its unique properties (touch screen, hybrid form factor, motion controls, etc).

At the end of the day, every platform will have its great exclusives. And perhaps that does suck for people who are on budgets and still want to experience it all. But you gotta figure, said platforms wouldn't last very long without some unique selling points, now would they?

OP
OP
TheMisterManGuy
Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, there is a market of gamers who want to take some of their favorite AAA console games on the go, and the Switch is the first mainstream platform to tap into this market sucessfully. But that's not something you can just apply to every game. The Switch has very clear limits, and not everything is going to scale well to what is basically a tablet. So this notion that every current-gen AAA third party game in existence should come to the Switch is both unnecessary and unrealistic.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
"Why are some people still obsessed with Nintendo being the premiere third party platform?"

Because it isn't.

Sony and MS fans don't complain about the same because their consoles already get every 3rd party game. But if they didn't, then they would want the same thing for their consoles as Nintendo fans want for theirs.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think anyone is. But people who own Nintendo consoles want to play different type of games, as evidenced by software sales on their successful platforms.

It is true a segment of the Nintendo community still cling on to the glory days of the SNES/NES when Nintendo really did have amazing 3rd party support, but that's not to say it couldn't have support like that ever again, as is evidenced by the support they got on the DS, which to this day is mind blowing because the PSP was on the market at the same time and Nintendo still pulled major games with a rival platform, so it can be done.

If anything, I see more hostility from fanboys in general at the idea of Nintendo getting any support at all. It doesn't take long for shitposters to stink up a thread about Indie devs of all people reporting that Switch SKU sold best or performed very well despite coming years later. (see the recent Celeste thread for an example of what I mean)

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's an extremely convenient console and for my sake I'd like to see it thrive.

stone616

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I still believe Nintendo should partner with a company like Sony on the home console and portable. Let Sony do the console and Nintendo do the portable and both companies support both platforms.

Nintendo consoles tend to be dedicated Nintendo boxes for me that I buy and then only buy Nintendo exclusives on. There has to be a crap ton of people that don't play Nintendo games because they aren't interested in buying the hardware.

Deleted member 5148

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Is red dead redemption 2 possible for switch, or GTAV ( spec wise) ?

Even if it has to be 720p?

I'd be okay with portable only games, even if they don't work docked.

That would be an interesting move.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Posts 1-3, basically. And kind of in that order, lol.

The Switch sales they way it's been, it can't be hoping it's for being the sales leader, that's happened a handful of months already. It's taken over Japan, was first in some NPD results.

It has to be ppl that don't wanna own more than 1 console.

The thing is, even during the NES, SNES days I saw exclusives as the reason to own multiple consoles. Still do. So one one hand I get it, but then I don't.

Mark H

Oct 27, 2017
I don't expect titles like RDR2 to come to Switch, but I do want titles that makes sense to be on the system like many of the Japanese niche titles.
They're not technically demanding, and portability is a huge plus.

OP
OP
TheMisterManGuy
Oct 27, 2017
I don't expect titles like RDR2 to come to Switch, but I do want titles that makes sense to be on the system like many of the Japanese niche titles.
They're not technically demanding, and portability is a huge plus.
Exactly the point. The Switch isn't going to be the first place for everyone to play the latest Assasin's Creed or Battlefield. It's main purpose is to serve as an alternative, a platform for audiences who want something different, or something more accessible.

Deleted member 5148

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Exactly the point. The Switch isn't going to be the first place for everyone to play the latest Assasin's Creed or Battlefield. It's main purpose is to serve as an alternative, a platform for audiences who want something different, or something more accessible.

Well, could companies allow, cross buy between say ps4 and switch?

Same as ps4 and vita.

Example, buy red dead redemption on PS4 get the portable version on swith?

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
end of the day people just want to play their CoDs, Far Crys, AssCreeds ect

it's cool the console is innovative and mario and zelda will open wallets but ultimately it comes down to the industry standard

Last edited:

Sampson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
I don't think indie games that play just as well and can often be purchased for far less on other platforms (which are at this point, still vastly more popular) can carry the Switch. Some people will prefer it because of portability, sure, but I still think that's a minority view. It's important to have those games to fill out the lineup, but it's like McDonald's offering salads. You need it on the menu, but it's never going to bring people in.

If Nintendo keeps turning out great games like Odyssey and Breath of the Wild, people will keep buying the Switch. if they don't, sales will eventually drop regardless of the indie lineup.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan

Those third party games grew and became much bigger on Playstation and Xbox. Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy, Resident Evil, Call of Duty, Grand Theft Auto, Destiny, etc.. a Nintendo system was never the main system to play those games. also, the audience of those games will prefer to play Uncharted or Halo over Mario or Zelda. a powerful Nintendo console will never make this audience switch places, this was already proven by the GameCube.
and no, i don't believe disc space was the real issue at all, as it wasn't for Xbox 360 compared to the Blu-ray on PS3.

Nintendo exclusives + unique third party offerings and key titles + indie games is the best machine and best option for Nintendo, and for us customers to have more variety and uniqueness instead of the same thing. it is not necessary for a system to succeed to have the best tech available (though the Switch delivered the best and most financially possible tech at the time for a portable hardware anyway).

Mark H

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, and I think SE is right on the money when they said Switch can provide an opportunity to bring mid-budget games back.
What Switch needs is more Octopath and revival of old dead franchise like TWEWY.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
and the Switch is not that far off in terms of power from the other consoles so ports of big AAA games are generally possible.

Switch is ultimately still a tablet. Assassin's Creed isn't running on it without being incredibly cut down. I could see Treyarch getting a CoD out but it'll run at 30 FPS. Ports could happen but they'll be compromised.

OP
OP
TheMisterManGuy
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think indie games that play just as well and can often be purchased for far less on other platforms (which are at this point, still vastly more popular) can carry the Switch. Some people will prefer it because of portability, sure, but I still think that's a minority view. It's important to have those games to fill out the lineup, but it's like McDonald's offering salads. You need it on the menu, but it's never going to bring people in.

Many indie games have been selling way better on Switch than other platforms, I'd be surprised if a most of the people who are playing Celeste on their Switch realize there's a PS4 version. It's not a minority view, the Switch is making these types of games more successful and popular in just its first year. Also, there's not many instances of indie games being more expensive on Switch. In fact the only real notable example, is Rime.

OP
OP
TheMisterManGuy
Oct 27, 2017
Yep, and I think SE is right on the money when they said Switch can provide an opportunity to bring mid-budget games back.
What Switch needs is more Octopath and revival of old dead franchise like TWEWY.

It's also why the Switch can get away with late ports of the AAA titles that do come to it. It not only introduces the more casual, less informed gamer to these games, but it also allows those who already played the game to take it with them wherever they go.

Tarextherex

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
Because for over 15years they have been missing on many games for absolutely no reason

N64 was understandable due to cartridges. GameCube though, mini-dvd didn't really harm it. Console was powerful yet PS2 had the most exclusives, even when GCN would run them better. Wii should have had at least more ports of 6th gen classics, like all of those PS2 remasters on 360. Wii U could run basically every game that was coming out until cross-gen titles finally stopped. Now Switch is doing better than most of the above so far yet it still missed a bunch of no-brainers. We already know that people don't give a fuck about playing AssCreed and Mass Effect on Nintendo. However, for games like those Capcom ports skipping Switch, you can't apply this "there's no audience" excuse.

Terranigma

Oct 27, 2017
"Why are some people still obsessed with Nintendo being the premiere third party platform?"

Because it isn't.

Sony and MS fans don't complain about the same because their consoles already get every 3rd party game. But if they didn't, then they would want the same thing for their consoles as Nintendo fans want for theirs.

Just look what happens when they don't get a specifiek AAA/3rd party title for their system, and is exclusive ( be it temp) to another system, they get equally as whiney as they claim Nintendo fans are when it comes to general 3rd party support. Just look at years of salt regarding Bayonetta 2, or previously MH on 3DS or Dragon Quest with 9).
Heck, when Tomb Raider was announced to be Xbox One exclusive, the outrage was clear too.

OP
OP
TheMisterManGuy
Oct 27, 2017
Because for over 15years they have been missing on many games for absolutely no reason

N64 was understandable due to cartridges. GameCube though, mini-dvd didn't really harm it. Console was powerful yet PS2 had the most exclusives, even when GCN would run them better. Wii should have had at least more ports of 6th gen classics, like all of those PS2 remasters on 360. Wii U could run basically every game that was coming out until cross-gen titles finally stopped. Now Switch is doing better than most of the above so far yet it still missed a bunch of no-brainers. We already know that people don't give a fuck about playing AssCreed and Mass Effect on Nintendo. However, for games like those Capcom ports skipping Switch, you can't apply this "there's no audience" excuse.

Keep in mind, the seemingly no-brainier games like Monster Hunter or Soul Calibur 6 skipping the Switch is because those titles were in development for 2-3 years, before these developers even knew what the Switch even was. Now that the Switch is a runaway success, developers will keep it in mind when making titles going forward. But I do agree that shit like The Disney Afternoon Collection not coming is complete BS.

Rainrir

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Keep in mind, the seemingly no-brainier games like Monster Hunter or Soul Calibur 6 skipping the Switch is because those titles were in development for 2-3 years, before these developers even knew what the Switch even was. Now that the Switch is a runaway success, developers will keep it in mind when making titles going forward. But I do agree that shit like The Disney Afternoon Collection not coming is complete BS.

Too optimistic. NSW wouldn't get much 3P at all.

The companies made their bet, and whatever late efforts will likely end unlike core software in the Wii.

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
Simple, Switch is a different case all together. With Wii and Wii U it had a different structure and it was harder to develop for. Switch however supports all the modern engines and middleware making it a better machine for ports than the other two ever were. Plus Nintendo has been (as we heard from multiple sources) more agressive in attracting third parties. Bethesda being the prime example with Skyrim, Doom and the upcoming Wolfenstein II. More importantly, next to indie developers being happy about their results, tradtional third parties have stated they are happy or their software exceded expectations. Nippon Ichi, Capcom, Bamco, Ubisoft and even 2K were happy with the initial sales of NBA 2K.

In the end I fhink most Switch owners just expect better support than Wii U and a bit more traditional games than the Wii-era. And seeing how everyone is harping on about how they're happy with the Switch, its not even a weird expectation.

Not Battlefront II, Anthem, Red Dead Redemption II or those kind of games though.

OP
OP
TheMisterManGuy
Oct 27, 2017
Too optimistic. NSW wouldn't get much 3P at all.

The companies made their bet, and whatever late efforts will likely end unlike core software in the Wii.

The Switch is in a completely different position than the Wii. Unlike the Wii, the Switch's main gimmick actually makes ports appealing on it. Nobody was going to buy a crappy spin-off of Soul Calibur on Wii just to play with some convoluted motion controls. But being able to take Soul Calibur 6 with you wherever you go, and play with another person instantly, that's much more attractive to consumers.

Simple, Switch is a different case all together. With Wii and Wii U it had a different structure and it was harder to develop for. Switch however supports all the modern engines and middleware making it a better machine for ports than the other two ever were. Plus Nintendo has been (as we heard from multiple sources) more agressive in attracting third parties. Bethesda being the prime example with Skyrim, Doom and the upcoming Wolfenstein II. More importantly, next to indie developers being happy about their results, tradtional third parties have stated they are happy or their software exceded expectations. Nippon Ichi, Capcom, Bamco, Ubisoft and even 2K was happy with the initial sales of NBA 2K.

In the end I fhink most Switch owners just expect better support than Wii U and a bit more traditional games than the Wii-era. And seeing how everyone is harping on about how they're happy with the Switch, its not even a weird expectation.

And that's not something you can't just apply to everything though. There's probably no way Rockstar for example, can get Red Dead Redemption 2 running on the Switch, at least not without it being an unplayable disaster. The Switch has clear limits as to what it can and can't run. So while I agree with more support, I disagree with the notion that Nintendo should be the #1 place for AAA third party games.

Rainrir

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Switch is in a completely different position than the Wii. Unlike the Wii, the Switch's main gimmick actually makes ports appealing on it. Nobody was going to buy a crappy spin-off of Soul Calibur on Wii just to play with some convoluted motion controls. But being able to take Soul Calibur 6 with you wherever you go, and play with another person instantly, that's much more attractive to consumers.

What makes you think SC6 is even happening. I heard from a source that the project is troubled for a while and no NSW is in development or even considered.

Luchashaq

Banned
Nov 4, 2017

That's me and it's tbe same reason I was excited for all the good indie vita ports.

TLZ

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A lot of people would rather have just everything on one console. And with this being both a portable and a home console, even more reason. A truly all in one console.

It won't be high end, but does the job.