Oct 25, 2017
This. I'm a little baffled to see so many people saying that you shouldn't have any emotional investment, attachment or intimacy with a person you've been dating for 2 months.

Like if you've been dating someone that long and they just up and vanish, you're a fool for feeling hurt and not just saying "next one" like you didn't feel anything for them.

I get that but if a man is going to retaliate violently from being rejected, wouldn't he do the same if he was ghosted? Ghosting is such a widely used term now, it's still a rejection but a veery passive-aggressive one. To me, that seems like the type of person you describe would just react with "Where are you?" "Why haven't you been returning my calls/texts?" and escalate from there.

Mind I'm not talking about after a couple dates. I'm talking about longer, like described in the OP but in this case obviously one of them is male and the other is female.

Again, that's the reason. What you want to extrapolate from that information is on you.

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
Imo, it's because they are cowards. No one wants to have a potential confrontation with another individual.

This right here. They don't want to hang out with you anymore but rather than have any kind of embarrassing conversation or confrontation they will just quit talking with you because it's much, much easier and less uncomfortable for them to do so. They will also lean on the belief that this is better for you because they don't want to hurt your feelings with the truth but it's mostly about sparing themselves.

Oct 25, 2017
China
I think people feel entitled to responses now with instant messaging/smartphones.

I bet ghosting was sooooo common back when the only way to get ahold of someone was calling their home phone.

That was getting someone else to answer the phone "tell them I'm not here" or just letting it go to answerphone.
You guys wont know the feeling of calling a girl and having her dad answer either.

AlecKoKuTan

Oct 29, 2017
Irvine, CA
How about when someone ghosts you, but then they start haunting you on social media, like if you use instagram stories you can see who's lurking/watching your post. I love it.

Oct 28, 2017
Man, trying to be the first in line is about self over others. Rushing to a parking spot of a full lot where everyone is searching is about self over others. Not giving all of your money to charity is self over others. Not every selfish act is trait of a sociopath. Hell, in the circumstance that a person values your relationship in an unhealthy way, ghosting them is the best course of action for both parties. It's not that ghosters don't value your feelings of rejections, they just value avoiding the inherent drama of rejecting you over your feelings. Doesn't mean they don't have empathy at all (which is what being a sociopath is). Note: don't mean "you" personally.

Not saying it's not a selfish act. Just saying some people here seem to be looking at this unrealistically because of their history with the experience.
Self over others isn't the same as self at the expense of others and it matters a difference.

I get that there are degrees and distinctions especially when it comes to one's safety and that absolutely should always be paramount, but letting another adult know that you don't have chemistry and you wish them all the best shouldn't be so hard.

Nose Master

Oct 27, 2017
It's a lot easier to ignore texts for a few weeks (hopefully less) than have to delicately explain why I'm not interested etc etc. The fact you feel entitled to an explanation is precisely the reason why someone would do this.

Deleted member 11517

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

That was getting someone else to answer the phone "tell them I'm not here" or just letting it go to answerphone.
You guys wont know the feeling of calling a girl and having her dad answer either.
Also yes, this was a thing before instant messaging and such, but it was also way (way, way, way) more common to just go to someone's house if there was no other way of reaching them - and that could get real ugly fast in such a case - I imagine. Hence why people rarely ghosted anyone back then - not even teenagers, because, umm, there's a thing called school and they will talk to the person they totally didn't want to talk to eventually, if that makes sense.

I think social media / online dating really enables this stuff in the first place, and people are indeed too much of a coward to even message the other person about a breakup oftentimes ...

Deleted member 11517

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a lot easier to ignore texts for a few weeks (hopefully less) than have to delicately explain why I'm not interested etc etc. The fact you feel entitled to an explanation is precisely the reason why someone would do this.
Eh, I don't think it's about an explanation, it's more about wasting the other person's time by not telling them what's up and rescheduling meetings and shit even though there's no actual intention to meet. It's a super egoistic and borderline sociopathic way of handling this, but as they say nowadays "you do you".

"It's over" is not an explanation and all that's really needed, no one is entitled of an explanation and never was.

Imo if you date someone and intend of doing this ghosting thing you need to tell them right away, otherwise it's am asshole move, no two ways around it.

Nose Master

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, I don't think it's about an explanation, it's more about wasting the other person's time by not telling them what's up and rescheduling meetings and shit even though there's no actual intention to meet. It's a super egoistic and borderline sociopathic way of handling this, but as they say nowadays "you do you".

"It's over" is not an explanation and all that's really needed, no one is entitled of an explanation and never was.

Imo if you date someone and intend of doing this ghosting thing you need to tell them right away, otherwise it's am asshole move, no two ways around it.

May or may not have glazed over the word "dated" in the OP. Read it as talking for some reason. Disregard prior snark, OP.

rstzkpf

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
sometimes it's not me, it's you
explaining takes work
leaving doesn't
sometimes you gotta cut your losses and get the fuck out

Amory

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah that's messed up. I wouldn't always do it in person depending on how many times I'd been out with a person, but I'd always at least send a text saying thanks but no thanks

Except for one time when I had a first date with a girl who I was super not into at all, and we happened to live in the same direction so we took the subway together and she started making a scene wailing and begging to see me again. I promised that we would, and then ghosted her because she was creepy AF. I still don't know why she started crying, I hadn't said anything for or against going out again up to that point.