• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)
A haircut and a different hairstyle can work wonders, by the way. A simple outfit can work wonders too. Like gray sweatpants and a simple black shirt. Call me crazy but it's true for me. You ain't gotta have a fancy haircut or wear fancy clothes to look appealing.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Again, and I believe I'm being fairly straightforward here: With smartphone cameras as good as they are, you don't need a damned professional photo shoot to convey yourself. It's not "potato cam" vs "pro shots".

Most smartphone cameras with some decent lighting is perfectly sufficient for someone to tell if they wanna meet someone or not.

No need to overthink it. That's part of the problem. So yea, I agree: If your pics suck you not gonna get play. What I'm saying is one doesn't have to do a damned photo shoot to have non-sucky pics.

Then we agree! :)

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
A tinder trick if you do have likes. The second person when you open the app is the one who liked your profile.

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
The dating app study is being brought up and people forget that

1) it dating app profiles are fulll of "don't even try if you have sharp knees" and other huge displays of misoginy

2) most men makes profiles that they think look attractive based on what the pathriarcal society tells them what looks attractive, in which we falls into what the internet calls the hugh jackman problem

lEuMiuq.png

left is how men want to look like when they think Hugh Jackman
right is how Hugh Jackman looks like when marketed towards women

old tumblr post said better than me :

It's kinda like dudes who get muscle cars to attract women, but they get the most compliments from old men. lol

AdvancedWind

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
A tinder trick if you do have likes. The second person when you open the app is the one who liked your profile.
Often true, but not always. There are plenty of likes Tinder makes a point not to show you so it starts piling up, specially after a subscription. My once a year real hardcore™ one month attempt ended recently and in less than a week I got 8 likes. Only two of them actually matched despite every day I right swiping the first profiles because I know that's something Tinder does.

Tinder is also very bad at REMOVING people you actually do swipe left so oftentimes the people in your hidden like list are people you already swiped left, but it stays there. Tinder is honestly a buggy mess, it's one of the worst products I've seen despite being so popular. The Platinum filters will often stop working for a few days for no discernible reason, and that's a feature of their most expensive plan.

If you really want to go the extra mile, it's not that hard to deduce it's the person in the like list based on silhouette but also: Tinder web shows you the NAME of the most recent like.
That said, Tinder is basically useless for regular men unless you're at least paying for infinite likes, so might as well get the option that shows you the likers.

Ive had pretty good success on dating apps so Ive interacted with a decent amount of women online. If we are being fair here, you know how many womens' profiles have "If you arent above 6ft dont even bother"?

This is in response to your statement about men being misogynist on the dating apps--which I agree with, but lets not act like some women dont egage in the same type of stuff.
Also, this. I can certainly believe men's profiles are horrible and many are full of shit but let's not pretend women profiles aren't like 95% either incredibly generic, empty, just a link to their instagram or a massive "what I want from you" check list that fails to even try to explain why the 6'4 rich guy with a six pack that likes travelling and will take her for wine should match her. Tinder is one place where It's very a clear a case of people being shitty in general, at least as far as the profile goes. Messaging wise I have no doubt guys send much worse shit lol.

Last edited:

kevinking94

Oct 28, 2017

1) it dating app profiles are fulll of "don't even try if you have sharp knees" and other huge displays of misoginy

2) most men makes profiles that they think look attractive based on what the pathriarcal society tells them what looks attractive, in which we falls into what the internet calls the hugh jackman problem

lEuMiuq.png

Ive had pretty good success on dating apps so Ive interacted with a decent amount of women online. If we are being fair here, you know how many womens' profiles have "If you arent above 6ft dont even bother"?

This is in response to your statement about men being misogynist on the dating apps--which I agree with, but lets not act like some women dont egage in the same type of stuff.

SinOfHeart

Shinra Employee
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I guess as for any online advice, they must be taken with a grain of salt. Or I should start by saying that I'm aiming the advice more at straight guys because let's face it, it's we who are the most lacking in realizing that we need to do some growth and get out of our comfort zones.
Yeah, totally, and like I said it is still good advice for people to keep looking for ways to improve themselves. And honestly you'd be shocked at how many gay guys could use similar advice, haha.

It can just feel a bit disheartening to have people constantly telling you all you need to do is improve yourself when you've done a lot of improvement and haven't really noticed much difference.

Kind of on a similar note, even though I know they have good intentions, it can be kind of annoying to have friends/family always commenting on your lack of relationships. Like I know they are trying to pep me up and tell me I'm a great catch or whatever, but it kind of makes me feel even worse because I just seem to perform so awful on the apps (so the compliments feel hollow).

Even then, there's a truth that the masculine experience in dating apps isn't one where you swim in matches. It's a slow drop of likes and matches for most men anyway, so, for me, it's about improving the drops instead of opening the flood gates.
Oh yeah I totally get that. But it just seems like I got well below what other people get, most seem able to at least manage a date a week or so whereas I was lucky to get one a month. Honestly becomes kind of disconcerting and feeling like a total waste of time when you spend a bunch of time swiping or sending short like messages to not hear back from like 99% of people.

I ended up just looking more into local hobby stuff on meetup.com recently, and while I wouldn't say its really resulted in any romantic connections it has introduced me to some new friends, which is cool.

I hope you can find balances that works better for you!
Thanks. Hopefully someday I'll find something that works for me.

TheRagnCajun

Oct 29, 2017

lEuMiuq.png

Are you trying to say that the study results are the way they are because there are too many men with their shirts off on dating apps? If it were that easy to get dates by putting on a sweater I'm sure they would have figured it out. The mag on the left is a fitness mag by the way. It don't know what that has to do with dating apps.

blue_phazon

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Are you trying to say that the study results are the way they are because there are too many men with their shirts off on dating apps? If it were that easy to get dates by putting on a sweater I'm sure they would have figured it out. The mag on the left is a fitness mag by the way. It don't know what that has to do with dating apps.
Maybe women find a disproportionate amount of men to be unattractive, because of how men make their profiles

Beebeard

Oct 29, 2017
Facts.

Had I known this earlier, I could have saved some Tinder ca$h on their silly upgrades. "Our app is basically broken in its stated purpose of connecting people, and will hide vital information needed to do so unless more money," is a terrible way to treat people looking for love. Bunch of hucksters, ewww.

Avinash117

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that stat threw me for a loop too. A HuffPost article about it speculated that it's due to women being more likely to be in a relationship with older men or with other women... although I still don't think those are enough to explain the gap. Feel like there must be a reporting difference between been men and women and what they consider constitutes being "in a relationship".

I remember reading a Reddit post that states it is almost entirely women being in a relationship with slighly older men. Women tend to be in a committed relationships ( Pew research consider single to be not in a committed relationship, not living with a partner, and not married ) with men that are about 2 3 years older than them. Women who are over 26 are much more likely to be in a relationship that are out of the 18 - 29 age bracket and women in general are more likely to be in committed relationships with men much more older that them.

Lastly, LGB women are vastly less likely to be single than LGB men ( according to Pew's definition ) and nowadays there's probably more women dating other women.

Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it's just young men who are single. All men in various age groups are in a state of misery imo.

Amnesty

Nov 7, 2017
If the internet taught me anything in the last 20 years of being single, it's that women do not want to be approached anywhere, at any time, for any reason.

Like when I'm walking and I feel eyes on me, I look and see them looking, and she immediately looks away at a super interesting…. tree?, right to her. I know she's thinking "oh god what an ugly person!" I've been told I might be reading that wrong, but clearly they aren't up to speed with modern etiquette like I am. 😊
I think you're reading this wrong.

I am a handsome man, to the point where I consistently turn heads and get instant smiles when crossing paths with women (and men too) and even approached, etc. I'm not saying this to brag but to describe what I've noticed in how people look at others they find attractive. I definitely felt weird and like it wasn't real for a while, once I started noticing it. Like people must think I'm strange or ridiculous looking or something. But after enough time, I learned it couldn't be anything else than I must be pleasing to look at, even if I don't feel that way myself.

When you see someone looking at you and then look away as you catch their gaze, it means they don't want to be caught looking at you - they don't want to lock eyes necessarily. Some people just almost involuntarily look. Haven't you ever passed by someone really attractive and sort of just looked a little without really doing so in a controlled way? I've seen this kind of looking myself. Out sometimes I'll catch people 'stealing' looks at me from the corner of my eye and then when I turn to see they act like nothings up but in that super obvious way. Sometimes people don't want to be caught because of various reasons, but probably mostly because they feel it might be rude to be checking someone out, or it makes them anxious to have someone catch them doing so.

Oct 30, 2017

it's true but the dynamic is what it is. if i were under 6ft i would simply swipe past those women like i would anyone else who advertised values incompatible with myself. that's an easy approach to take whoever you are, whereas i dunno if a ton of men are outwardly demanding specific physical measurements in their own profiles

Oct 30, 2017
I always feel so weird when I read about how much height helps on dating apps. I'm 6'3" and if that really helps, I haven't noticed it. I'm not saying I'm doubting it (obviously it's true and has helped), but something else must be seriously wrong me, lol.

I mean, the name and blurry picture are enough to puzzle it together anyway, but yes, that's often the case but not so much anymore.

kevinking94

Oct 28, 2017
it's true but the dynamic is what it is. if i were under 6ft i would simply swipe past those women like i would anyone else who advertised values incompatible with myself. that's an easy approach to take whoever you are, whereas i dunno if a ton of men are outwardly demanding specific physical measurements in their own profiles

I agree, I only replied to what I did because the wording came off as if ONLY men are superficial in dating apps, when anyone thats had a decent experience in them can tell BOTH sides are superficial.

Regardless of who is demanding what, both men and women can swipe left on anyone whose asking for incompatible values.

Thats my opinion anyways haha

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
Are we still talking about matching? Or are we talking about dating? Cuz I feel like people are still compounding these two topics when they have separate issues when it comes to dating apps.
Yeah, I think there's a ton of people mixing up these issues.

A lot of the advice about working on yourself is good advice, but won't really make a difference if you're not even able to get any matches/dates in the first place. It more comes into play once you've actually secured a chance to talk/meet up.

i wonder if some of the disparity is a bunch of dudes becoming undateable alt-right chuds
That's part of it, absolutely. But I think that part would usually come into play once you've actually secured a date and then just prove to be an alt-right asshole after the fact. A lot of the right wing shits get plenty of success in finding dates and hookups, just not so much in long term relationships.

I think the dominance of apps and less emphasis on organically meeting others in the real world is still one of the biggest negative trends for what the OP is about.

Although the proliferation of alt-right and PUA type of attitudes in young men is also having terrible effects in a huge way.

all of this

honestly, just get offline as soon as possible, friends. Just went on an amazing date last night with a bridesmaid of a wedding I went to last week. Meeting people IRL solves 95% of these "standards" and "expectations" issues that just looking at images and profiles like they're resumes creates.
Yep, this is the best advice imo. Easier said than done, of course, but if you're unsatisfied with how terrible these apps are, just ditch them.

Go out with friends, go to some conventions, or museums, classes if you're still in college, whatever you're interests are. Just meet people at these events, or through friends of friends, etc (importantly, with zero expectations of finding a date. That shouldn't be the objective of any of these outings). Just meet new people and see where it goes, if there's chemistry, etc. Be okay with it if you just end up as friends. Having more friends of the opposite gender is a good thing anyway that will very likely help you out in finding romance somewhere else too.

Again, easier said than done. But it's much better and less demeaning than the app experience. And even if you don't get any dates, it's not a waste of time because you're just out having fun with friends or doing hobbies.

These apps are poison that only sabotage any efforts at improving self-esteem or dealing with anxiety.

Last edited:

EXMaster

Oct 28, 2017

lEuMiuq.png

In the Good Housekeeping pic still, he looks very confident. He has his hands squarely on his hips. Good posture. He has an almost smug looking grin on his face. His shirt is well fitting to his body (like the fashion advice folks would suggest) and shows of his lean yet fit physique. He looks "softer", but he still radiates the energy of a confident dad, and a protector. Those are things that women would likely be naturally attracted to (from an appearance standpoint).

So I'd argue that there is still some masculine swagger on display in the Good Housekeeping picture of Jackman, just more subtle. It's not as in your face as the Muscle and Fitness picture. I think that just further shows the disconnect that (generally heterosexual) Men and Women have over what amount of masculinity is considered attractive. Men have a habit of capitalizing on it as the factor of attractiveness, and make it the focal point of their appearance and self currency (as well covered by the concept of Toxic Masculinity), which leads to the picture on the left. Problem is, ironically, women often become repulsed by those over the top expressions of masculinity and end up wanting to get as far away as possible from it. It leads to books like this being written and resonating with a lot of women's experiences with a male SO: https://www.amazon.com/Why-Does-He-That-Controlling/dp/0425191656.

So you could conclude from this that masculinity is attractive, it's just not the all or nothing factor towards successfully finding a SO. That seems like something lots of men have a lot of trouble wrapping their heads around.

(This has nothing to do with dating really, I just though the contrast was interesting)

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018

I think it's more that men and women have different views of what makes a man attractive.

Problem is, ironically, women often become repulsed by those over the top expressions of masculinity and end up wanting to get as far away as possible from it.

Exactly.

Last edited:

TheRagnCajun

Oct 29, 2017
I think it's more that men and women have different views of what makes a man attractive.

Exactly.
I think that to suggest the study results would be drastically different if men just toned it down is a bit dismissive, as if they couldn't figure it out by looking at the profiles of more successful men. I don't know why that is the answer many of you are clinging to. Just because some men are coming on too strong doesn't mean you can make a generalization to dismiss a study.