• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 28, 2017
Because I'm fucking miserable?

Because I constantly feel alone, even with reassurances from friends and family that I'm not?

Because I should be on medication and seeing a therapist but my atrocious insurance doesn't cover either?

Because I feel numb constantly and don't enjoy things I once loved?

Because the repetition of my job and overall daily life is woefully unsatisfying?

Because I'm often inundated with thoughts that absolutely everyone would be better off without me?

Take your pick.

Mackenzie

Apr 21, 2019
Brighton
This thread made me recall something I read a while ago that pointed out that while we might think we are living in terrible times, generally this is partly our tendency to look at things in the short term, and partly how the world is presented to us through the warped gaze of our media.

Despite there clearly being serious issues to confront today, climate change being the worst, generally speaking the human race is better off than its ever been in many many ways.

We have less wars, less poverty, better access to technology, education and healthcare, have a global awareness far beyond our ancestors. Far more of the world is democratic and these things are generally trending for the better.

Climate change is a huge problem but we live in times where we can actually understand this, and have a shot at correcting it, compared to historical examples of past civilisations that were wiped out by growing beyond the capability of their local environment to support them without really realising what was happening.

Events like Trump and Brexit loom large, but are likely very temporary and shine a light on the festering problems and issues that gave rise to them, giving us a chance to solve those.

Anyway, it's easy to fall into being miserable about the state of the world, things are far from a perfect utopia, but more and more of us are safer and better off than our ancestors were. To wallow in misery about the state of things is to discount the struggle of generations of people to lift us up to this point, who likely had it worse than us on average.

Crimson-Death

Oct 27, 2017
Purgatory
I see a red door and I want it painted black
No colors anymore, I want them to turn black
I see the girls walk by, dressed in their summer clothes
I have to turn my head until my darkness goes

I see a line of cars and they're all painted black
With flowers and my love both never to come back
I see people turn their heads and quickly look away
Like a newborn baby, it just happens everyday

I look inside myself and see my heart is black
I see my red door and must have it painted black
Maybe then I'll fade away and not have to face the facts
It's not easy facing up when your whole world is black

No more will my green sea go turn a deeper blue
I could not foresee this thing happening to you
If I look hard enough into the setting sun
My love will laugh with me before the morning comes

I see a red door and I want it painted black
No colors anymore, I want them to turn black
I see the girls walk by, dressed in their summer clothes
I have to turn my head until my darkness goes

Hmm, hmm, hmm
Hmm, hmm, hmm
Hmm, hmm, hmm
Hmm, hmm, hmm
Hmm, hmm, hmm
Hmm, hmm, hmm
Hmm, hmm, hmm
Hmm, hmm, hmm
Hmm, hmm, hmm
Hmm, hmm, hmm
Hmm, hmm, hmm
Hmm, hmm, hmm
Hmm, hmm, hmm
Hmm, hmm, hmm
Hmm, hmm, hmm
Hmm, hmm, hmm

I wanna see it painted, painted black
Black as night, black as coal
I wanna see the sun blotted out from the sky
I wanna see it painted, painted, painted, painted black

Yeah!

Hmm, hmm, hmm
Hmm, hmm, hmm
Hmm, hmm, hmm
Hmm, hmm, hmm
Hmm, hmm, hmm
Hmm, hmm, hmm
Hmm, hmm, hmm
Hmm, hmm, hmm
Hmm, hmm, hmm
Hmm, hmm, hmm
Hmm, hmm, hmm
Hmm, hmm, hmm
Hmm, hmm, hmm
Hmm, hmm, hmm
Hmm, hmm, hmm
Hmm, hmm, hmm

People always say I have an angry face, and I know my mannerisms and tone and diction comes through a little brusque and forceful when talking. That's how I like it, and it has cost me in my relationships with friends and significant others at times.
I find it amusing 'cause I usually tone it mostly down to interact with humans, 'cause I kinda feel bad they get intimidated, and I am guilty of being mean, and you never know who is having a bad day and just wants a nice interaction. Then again such people should also understand normal people have issues, so shut the fuck up and let them be instead of making a stupid comment about it.

Ploppee

Nov 28, 2018
This thread made me recall something I read a while ago that pointed out that while we might think we are living in terrible times, generally this is partly our tendency to look at things in the short term, and partly how the world is presented to us through the warped gaze of our media.

Despite there clearly being serious issues to confront today, climate change being the worst, generally speaking the human race is better off than its ever been in many many ways.

We have less wars, less poverty, better access to technology, education and healthcare, have a global awareness far beyond our ancestors. Far more of the world is democratic and these things are generally trending for the better.

Climate change is a huge problem but we live in times where we can actually understand this, and have a shot at correcting it, compared to historical examples of past civilisations that were wiped out by growing beyond the capability of their local environment to support them without really realising what was happening.

Events like Trump and Brexit loom large, but are likely very temporary and shine a light on the festering problems and issues that gave rise to them, giving us a chance to solve those.

Anyway, it's easy to fall into being miserable about the state of the world, things are far from a perfect utopia, but more and more of us are safer and better off than our ancestors were. To wallow in misery about the state of things is to discount the struggle of generations of people to lift us up to this point, who likely had it worse than us on average.

you should probably preface this with the fact that article is from 2014 and things seem to have declined HUGELY since then.

Leunamus

May 18, 2019
Because climate change is beyond the point of no return, fascism is not only back but here to stay this time, and many other things. It's over.

Lmo2017

Oct 25, 2017
To the east of Parts Unknown...
We were doing well and got sucker punched. Right now people are hurt, they want to know they can get back up and fix what happened, but they won't know the results for a while longer. It's a world of apprehension.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yep, this thread went about how you'd expect it to. EtcetEra is a goddamn happiness black hole, sucking the life out of everything around it.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
not even a fucking smile

Is this what you're expecting people to look like?

f9zq61so92v01.jpg

Also, it depends on where you go. I'm taking my son to the park every day and it's full of happy people :)

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I'm pretty good and I never smile in public unless someone else does. I'd find it kinda weird if everyone smiled at me all the time too. I think that's the case for a lot of people.

fierygunrob

One Winged Slayer
Jan 16, 2018
Personally, I'm the happiest I've been in just about as long as I can remember. Thanks for asking! And thanks, medication!

Otherwise though, a lot of others have hit on a lot of it, but here's my take anyway. I feel like it's gotta be so many things. Or, as someone else put it, *gestures at ecerything*

Many people can barely afford to live and have few means to do anything about it. And maybe you throw massive amounts of debt on top of that. In the states, the huge amount of wealth inequality and fucked up healthcare system has to be weighing on a fair amount of people, even if unconsciously. Sometimes you even have to turn down a better job opportunity because of a lack of benefits. That's some bullshit. And then frequently mental health isn't even covered, because who needs it.

Looming climate change, and the inaction about it, and boy, just you wait til food shortages and climate refugees are a thing(or, more of one?). Some of us might actually get to live to see a sort of actual apocalypse. Neat?

Then you have your rising right wing isolationism around the globe, and everyone is at everyone's throats. Racial disparities, classism, sexism, nationalism, and we can go on and on... Fuck, I mean, families are being separated at the southern US border. Kids are literally in cages. Apparently that's what they get for "breaking the law" though

Our attitudes towards work can't be helping. The five day work week. Who has energy for barely anything except their job? A lucky few. I've worked with people who frown on taking a break — what is that even? Media bombarding you with glamorous lifestyles you'll never afford, but the hollow promise that you might.

I wonder too how much individual isolation is weighing down on everyone, too, a lack of general community. You know, the whole "we're more connected than ever, but more alone" idea.

And then a lot of the time, when you want to push for change, a chorus tries to beat you back with "better things aren't possible" or "that's too much all at once"

I feel like that sums up scratching the surface. I surely missed some things.

But like I said at the beginning of the post, personally? I'm doing great. Finally making decent money and, for once, feel like I have some direction. I'm extremely grateful. And, I do try to smile at people on the street, and if you have the energy for it, you could too. You have no idea what that person you're passing by might be going through. Just don't be a creep about it or anything.

barit

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
If I look people into their eyes they always want to flirt with me! That´s exhausting

3bdelilah

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What, you want strange people on the street randomly walk up to you, greet you with a smile from ear to ear, and proceed to tell you how wonderful their day is? You'd have opened a similar thread but instead complain about why people don't mind their own fucking business, lol