• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
Rental property where the rack wasn't consistent and there was a gap.

It was digorno or freschetta which is a giant slap of dough.

So there's a good chance it'll make a mess because one time someone you know made a mess in an oven that had a messed up rack? I'm not sure how a messed up rack led to melting dough.

Oct 27, 2017
I never actually thought about it until this thread, but I think just because of how I was raised or whatever, I put the pizza on either a foil-lined tray or on a sheet of foil. But this morning I put in waffles and realized that for waffles and toast, I put them directly on the rack, LOL.

I think it's because a tray or foil sheet makes it easier to grab the pizza since it's in the middle (bought a bigger toaster oven) and less chance of touching a super hot rack when I reach my hand in, LOL. My toaster oven does come with a pizza stone, which I use for a regular frozen pizza but is too big for something like a personal size frozen pizza or heating up leftover slices for lunch or something.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
I really want to see pictures of these frozen pizzas coming out better on the rack

I believe yall but where the pics

Yup this is the true pizza conspiracy. All these pizza rackers yet no pictures. Yet we have picture of failed rack cooking.

Something doesn't add up!!

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
cf_rackedpizza.jpg

Not gonna chance it.

This has happened to me with a Kroger brand pizza before. Just that once though. I always cook on the rack.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I would if I didn't have a pizza stone. Nothing wrong with cooking on the racks. They're clean... Your oven cooks at fucking 400+ degrees. If your oven rack skeeves you out .. imagine restaurants.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Unsanitary would be the last thing I'd be worried about. It's inside an oven which constantly goes above 400* for long stretches of time. Ain't nothing going to survive in that.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Rental property where the rack wasn't consistent and there was a gap.

It was digorno or freschetta which is a giant slap of dough.
I also live in an apartment with a shitty oven with giant gaps between the rack bars and this has never been a problem. And we make frozen pizzas constantly, DiGiorno, Frescetta, Red Baron, Tombstone, even Celeste. Heck we've made three DiGiornos, two classic crust Supremes and one thin crust Pepperoni that I turned into a Supreme, in the past week. 🤷 (pls don't judge me we just love pizza!)

That's can't be a Frozen pizza... Right?!?
Most likely a fresh pizza. Only way that could maybe happen with a frozen pizza would be if you let it thaw out first, or you put it in a cold oven and tried to cook it while the oven preheated. Even then, the dough for most frozen pizzas is par baked so they're more likely to droop or sink around the bars than completely disintegrate like that one.

Oct 26, 2017
I always see these instructions when cooking frozen pizza and I'm disgusted by the idea every time. That can't be sanitary right? Cooking the pizza right on the rack where metal trays and what not cooks on it. I always use a metal tray or aluminum foil to cook it on but there can't be that much of a difference could it? Anybody actually does this? And if so, does it make any difference at all?
Sanitary? Dude you're heating the oven at 180-200° for 20-30 mins... There's nothing left alive in there afterwards. If you clean out the grease buildup occasionally the inside of an oven is probably a lot more sanitary than any other surface in your home.
The only thing is crumbs. I put a baking sheet on the rack to avoid crumbs falling down, making it easier to clean the oven.

Hale-XF11

Dec 8, 2017
I don't understand people who use a pizza tray. Why would you want soft, uncooked, doughy crust? Yuck!

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If you don't wanna do that, get a cooking stone to put it on. Trays make the bottom cook less than the top and it's not like you can flip a pizza in the oven.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
Never done it, made tons of oven pizza, make tons of pizza from scratch (on preheated stone). It's odd to me that others would say not doing so would lead to soggy crust. I've never in my life seen a pizza get all that soggy personally when cooking on a stone or even a cheap pizza pan.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Never done it, made tons of oven pizza, make tons of pizza from scratch (on preheated stone). It's odd to me that others would say not doing so would lead to soggy crust. I've never in my life seen that personally when cooking on a stone or even a cheap pizza pan.
You're using a pizza stone, which gets rid of the problem.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
I like crunchy pizzas, so on the rack it goes! Pizza stones are also pretty good. Keep your oven clean and do a cleaning cycle once in a while to clear out any missed debris.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
I usually just throw the pizza in a non pre heated oven
but because of this thread I remembered I actually have a pizza stone
so today I used it
I even preheated the oven, had to wait like 10min longer because of that

verdict: not worth it, just do whatever gets you the pizza the fastest

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
You're using a pizza stone, which gets rid of the problem.
I've used my stone and pizza pans as I mentioned. I've had my one cheap pizza pan for maybe ten years with the lil holes in it. I've had cheap pizza at peoples homes cooked on pans. Can't say I've ever had a soggy frozen pizza one way or the other. Maybe some brands are worst than others. To each their own though.