ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fuck the toothpaste, the real crime is that shit show they've set up in LAX international terminal. You don't put your stuff into bins together - they're all mixed up because they have a small queue of 5 people that they're grabbing one bin at a time from.
So I put my surface pro on there by itself, but I have to wait fucking 10 minutes before the rest of my stuff and me go through. By the time I get past the x-ray, my surface is nowhere to be found. The idiot TSA agent didn't see it, and sent it back through the automated bin conveyor belt. It finally came through again after 15 minutes. Luckily I got it back.

Fuck. L. A. X.
Worst airport.

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
I have no faith in the TSA.

It's false security at best.

I know at my local airport EWR (Newark) they routinely fail random checks for knives/guns/contraband.

I'm not talking about the TSA. I'm talking about the FBI and NSA. When half a dozen guys they've been watching all get on the same flight they know shit is up.

$10 Bagel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
because the aviation business doesn't want people to be afraid of flying after 9/11 so they set up this huge security theater, that really won't help if someone really is determined to get something dangerous on board, in order to make dumb people feel safe
You say this but planes were getting blown up monthly back in the day. 9/11 wasn't the only time a terrorist attack happened involving a plane..

Since TSA there hasn't been an incident involving a plane leaving America. Even if the people suck at their job it likely deters a huge number of people because there's like 5 times you can get caught

peteykirch

Oct 25, 2017
My other issue with the TSA is that it's supposed to be standard across the board at every single US airport but it isn't.

At Newark they do it one way, flying out of Orlando they do it another.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just check my luggage and sailing through the TSA checkpoint is a breeze. Totally fine waiting the extra 10 minutes for my luggage when I arrive.

Yep. Nothing like that feeling of getting on a plane with just your small messenger bag and not needing to worry about putting a big ass carry on in the upper compartment. If I have to, I try to get them to gate check that shit. Miss me with that carry on.

You say this but planes were getting blown up monthly back in the day. 9/11 wasn't the only time a terrorist attack happened involving a plane..

Since TSA there hasn't been an incident involving a plane leaving America. Even if the people suck at their job it likely deters a huge number of people because there's like 5 times you can get caught

Yep. It happened enough that Chuck Norris made Delta Force about it (great movie)

Possum Armada

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Greenville, SC
Yep. Nothing like that feeling of getting on a plane with just your small messenger bag and not needing to worry about putting a big ass carry on in the upper compartment. If I have to, I try to get them to gate check that shit. Miss me with that carry on.

Agreed. It also allows you to get on the plane after everyone has boarded. I always feel a bit sad for the people rushing to get on the plane so they can spend and extra 20 - 30 minutes crammed into those tiny seats. :(

Deleted member 33515

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
I like Amsterdam Schiphol airport security.

I was flying to stay at my parents house for Christmas and was carrying a wrapped Christmas gift I'd been given. The gift got flagged for containing liquids, so after I explained that it was a Christmas gift and didn't know what it was, the security guy was just like "OK, you can take it on board. No need to open it. Just promise you won't take it out on the plane or allow it to be seen by anyone".

Also, based on his reaction and comments to seeing the PS4 in my carry-on, I think he was a gamer too.

I went through Heathrow with an Intellevision and a Core Grafx in my trolley and the security guy that was scanning it for residues or whatever chatted me up on retrogaming. was a pleasant experience overall. but when you get to someone who's had a bad day, anything goes. these people have far too much power.

hydrophilic attack

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden

fun fact about airport security:

i once bought ten scalpels which i needed for some lab work and after using a few forgot about the rest of them in my huge ass backpack. i had them in there for over a year before i realized and during that time went on over 10 flights. not once did anyone notice them during the security checks. i did once have a surly ass security agent give me shit over a TI calculator in spain tho, lol

siddx

Banned
Dec 25, 2017

What. What the fuck are you talking about.
There have been 35 airplane bombings in the last 80 years that have led to casualties. Including a grand total of 1 in the 90s. And there were no hijackings from planes leaving the US in the 90s.
Bombings and hijackings were issues in other nations but almost never occurred in the US.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
I just check my luggage and sailing through the TSA checkpoint is a breeze. Totally fine waiting the extra 10 minutes for my luggage when I arrive.

This

and this.
I hate hate hate people who bring big ass carry on luggage onto the plane. WTF is wrong with these people? They acually go out and buy the biggest possible suitcase....
Nowadays the overhead compartments are always overstuffed, because that space is limited and was designed to hold some jackets, purses and backpacks.
Every single flight the cabin crew has to spend 15 mins to accomodate all that "carry on" shit and when the plane lands people scramble all over the plane to obtain their bag from 5 rows behind.

All that hassle just to save 10 mins upon arrival?

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
This

and this.
I hate hate hate people who bring big ass carry on luggage onto the plane. WTF is wrong with these people? They acually go out and buy the biggest possible suitcase....
Nowadays the overhead compartments are always overstuffed, because that space is limited and was designed to hold some jackets, purses and backpacks.
Every single flight the cabin crew has to spend 15 mins to accomodate all that "carry on" shit and when the plane lands people scramble all over the plane to obtain their bag from 5 rows behind.

I'd think the reason for larger carry ons are the fees airlines put on checked bags, and maybe a lack of trust that the checked bags aren't going to be rummaged through and stuff taken.

The biggest safety measures that came out of 9-11 are probably the securing of the cockpit, the air marshals, and perhaps the general realization that these guys with boxcutters or whatever are probably going to kill the entire plane anyway.

siddx

Banned
Dec 25, 2017
This

and this.

Airlines charging for even one checked bag has encouraged people to carry on large bags. 20 years ago, even just 10 years ago, I rarely saw people bring on anything larger than a backpack or briefcase. But now with the extra fees, everyone is trying to get around it.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
mrmoose siddx

Thing is, I've never used an airline that charges passengers for checking a bag.
I know that EasyJet, RyanAir etc. do that, but I always fly Lufthansa, British etc. and people do it there to.

Anecdote from my last plane trip:
SwissAir / Berlin - Zürich - Bilbao / overhead comps stuffed, plane couldn't take off because of loose bags
Lufthansa / Bilbao - Frankfurt - Berlin / same shit

peteykirch

Oct 25, 2017
Airlines charging for even one checked bag has encouraged people to carry on large bags. 20 years ago, even just 10 years ago, I rarely saw people bring on anything larger than a backpack or briefcase. But now with the extra fees, everyone is trying to get around it.

Bingo, also the gate agents need to do a better job of legitimately checking the size of peoples carry on luggage.

Some of the stuff people bring in as a carry on is absolutely ridiculous, couple that with people who don't understand how to load their carry on luggage correctly so it takes up even more room in the overhead lockers.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Stealing toothpaste from passengers stops 9/11?
theoretically if you got enough fake toothpaste containing other chemicals through you could combine some ingredients to make a bomb. but its mostly bullshit.

I have no faith in the TSA.

It's false security at best.

I know at my local airport EWR (Newark) they routinely fail random checks for knives/guns/contraband.

they are a total joke.

Ive been stopped more time because of my kids formula its ridiculous. My wife was almost strip searched because this lady wouldnt explain to her the problem at 2 fucking am in the morning. Flying through O'Hare the line was super long so they arbitrarily let probably 100 people through just the regular old metal detector, no shoes off, no laptops out of the bags, because why not.

And then the rules change all the time. You used to be able to leave an ipad or surface inside your bag, now you can't, you used to be able to leave your belt on, now you can. Pretty soon we'll have to strip to our underwear to go through.

FrequentFlyer

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
mrmoose siddx

Thing is, I've never used an airline that charges passengers for checking a bag.
I know that EasyJet, RyanAir etc. do that, but I always fly Lufthansa, British etc. and people do it there to.

Anecdote from my last plane trip:
SwissAir / Berlin - Zürich - Bilbao / overhead comps stuffed, plane couldn't take off because of loose bags
Lufthansa / Bilbao - Frankfurt - Berlin / same shit
But that isn't true, LH group airlines charge for checked baggage on intra-european flights in the lower economy rates, which is what most people are using. As do most other european carriers. It has become pretty much standard not just with LLCs.

peteykirch

Oct 25, 2017
theoretically if you got enough fake toothpaste containing other chemicals through you could combine some ingredients to make a bomb. but its mostly bullshit.

they are a total joke.

Ive been stopped more time because of my kids formula its ridiculous. My wife was almost strip searched because this lady wouldnt explain to her the problem at 2 fucking am in the morning. Flying through O'Hare the line was super long so they arbitrarily let probably 100 people through just the regular old metal detector, no shoes off, no laptops out of the bags, because why not.

And then the rules change all the time. You used to be able to leave an ipad or surface inside your bag, now you can't, you used to be able to leave your belt on, now you can. Pretty soon we'll have to strip to our underwear to go through.

The belt thing is annoying. I purposely bought a belt that has no metal in it, and their own website boasts about how it's TSA compliant and allowed to go through the body scanners, and they still made me take it off.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
But that isn't true, LH group airlines charge for checked baggage on intra-european flights in the lower economy rates, which is what most people are using. As do most other european carriers. It has become pretty much standard not just with LLCs.

Hmmm.
I checked my bag and it was free though. Didn't pay a premium either.

Salmonax

Oct 27, 2017
Think of it as a marionette show designed to decieve both the audience and the puppets themselves to line the pockets of the guys in the rafters.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Of all the things to complain about the TSA you pick being punished for the most highly publicized rule (no liquids). The real reason is they are underpaid and low skill workers.
Never flown to Milan I take it ;)

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If TSA worked it'd be worth it. But studies show that it lets through guns and other weapons 95% of the time. Very comforting.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
How much are they paid and how much should they be paid (I honestly have no idea)?

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I have a lot of issues with TSA, but c'mon... THis is pretty damn common knowledge by now. THey have a thousand signs up at airports saying what size containers you can bring onto planes, and toothpaste tubes are some of the ones they explicitly call out. Is it stupid? Sure. But do you need a tube of toothpaste in your carry-on on their airplane...? No, you just stow it. If you don't have a checked bag, unless you're going somewhere very remote and for a long period of time, you can probably make due with the travel-sized toothpaste.

TSA sucks and for a number of reasons (no coordination, every airport is different, weird bizarre rules, so inefficient, most of them are incredibly unfriendly, some lack basic human personalization skills, crazy lines at some airports), but taking your toothpaste isn't one of them.

One nice thing, though, is that TSA does not give a fuck if you fly with drugs on a plane as long as it's pretty clear they're for personal use. Went to Denver back in November, bought some weed, was flying home to Boston (where weed is also legal), and just waltzed right through security with my weed in my carry-on... No questions asked, no problems.

How much are they paid and how much should they be paid (I honestly have no idea)?

They're very low paid, and their jobs are low skill jobs with virtually no respect from the rest of American security. TSA is one of those jobs that I don't think anybody would ever want to do... Your bosses seemingly have no respect for you, and the public virtually all hates you.

Think of it as a marionette show designed to decieve both the audience and the puppets themselves to line the pockets of the guys in the rafters.

I don't think anybody's making money off of the TSA. Government employees, especially TSA, aren't paid especially well, and it's not like another military contract which has really lucrative contracts (weapons, machines, science and technology, intelligence gathering, engineering, etc). I'd imagine the government spends a tremendous amount of money on TSA that's virtually all wasted given their paltry success rates in independent studies.

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando, FL
The TSA has a very difficult job to do and one which benefits the US greatly.
Stop being so selfish and buy another tube of toothpaste when you reach your destination.

Just got my toothpaste stolen because it was too big. It's a regular sized tube. I'd like to know how stealing my toothpaste keeps America safe.

#TSAblows

There is really, so much wrong with your OP.
  • The TSA does not ''steal'' your belongings. They took it away because you didn't follow the rules (This is the key line right here)
  • You mention its a ''regular sized tube''. For years on end it is known that those aren't allowed. Hence, they took it away because you didn't follow the rules.
  • This thread is nothing but a complaint done as a result of being naive. You will be hard pressed to find a user advocating for your cause because the TSA took your toothpaste away because you didn't follow the rules.
Repeat after me: You didn't follow the rules. Thus how is it TSA's problem when they are simply doing their work?

This is the kind of thread that gets me because unlike threads were one wants to justify a new Iphone X over an Ipad Pro or unwilling to take a Switch in a bag because its too clumsy for an user, this kind of thread almost feel like its relying on intentional naiveness so one can make a thread here.

Unless you have never flown before, then i can somewhat see your frustration, but even then, all that would mean is that you should have checked in advance.

Stealing toothpaste from passengers stops 9/11?
No, but being naive probably prevents 9/11 situations to happen.

But three tubes that equal a regular is fine...
I am amazed that you continue to double down on your own OP. Yes, 3 tubes is fine because when you would want to combine those together, you will need a much larger flacon to put it in. 3 small flacons in a transparent bag is okay because security can see its 3 seperate and small bags. Please stop being so daft.

EDIT: Heh, that's interesting. The OP's post isn't getting quoted with my response disappearing.

Last edited:

cwmartin

Oct 27, 2017
A regular size toothpaste lasts me like 3 months. You thought this was appropriate for your vacation? Did you remember your full size listerine and costco sized shampoo as well?

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I regularly fly and they always let my big ass regular size toothpaste tube through.

Only thing they stop me for is my big ass regular sized contact lens solution which is only to test the vapors.

Also, the TSA doesn't suck, they just got a job to do and not enough training or manpower to do it. The people who suck are the people who hold up the security line cause they either cause a scene or don't know what they're doing.

Deleted member 30411

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I am amazed that you continue to double down on your own OP. Yes, 3 tubes is fine because when you would want to combine those together, you will need a much larger flacon to put it in. 3 small flacons in a transparent bag is okay because security can see its 3 seperate and small bags. Please stop being so daft.

Until you get to Duty Free where you can buy something to decant it into...

Until you get to Duty Free where you can buy something to decant it into...
I guess so. But the moment you try to combine the 3 means you are actually messing about with your flacons which will look strange to begin with. I always keep this transparent bag with me (Its small) and i have small size flacons for everything. Never had issues regarding that because its in a transparent bag. Never had problems in general, usually the only time they want to see a second peek is with my gaming devices which i carry in cases aswell. (Europe flights).

I guess when i would go to America i would be pretty much scot-free aswell but i reckon some of the measurements in place may be a bit much.

Deleted member 30411

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I guess so. But the moment you try to combine the 3 means you are actually messing about with your flacons which will look strange to begin with. I always keep this transparent bag with me (Its small) and i have small size flacons for everything. Never had issues regarding that because its in a transparent bag. Never had problems in general, usually the only time they want to see a second peek is with my gaming devices which i carry in cases aswell. (Europe flights).

I guess when i would go to America i would be pretty much scot-free aswell but i reckon some of the measurements in place may be a bit much.

Oh for sure, as has been stated many times in the thread, often the presence of security of that level should be the deterrent. I only had one problem in the last decade and that was because they wanted to check my gravy granules in my hand luggage but other than that, it has been smooth sailing (also European flights). I did have to take my shoes off once after a loonnnng journey to the airport and I felt sorry for the chap who had to swab my shoes though. There was definitely something unnatural growing off my socks that time.

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I've never had a bad experience with TSA. I must just be lucky. One time time I forgot I had something in my bag that I shouldn't have had and the man let me get out of line and deal with it and then just cut back it, which was nice.

The "worst" experience I had with TSA was going home from Hawaii after Christmas / New Years. I had a lot of gun powder from fireworks on my clothes and bags since the windows were open when we were lighting off fireworks. The TSA guys took me to a room and just had to check all of my stuff. They were very friendly and professional. Maybe it had something to do with me being in Hawaii though. Everyone is nice there.

Lat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I check my shit and not worry about anything other than my backpack. Feels good man

Salmonax

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think anybody's making money off of the TSA. Government employees, especially TSA, aren't paid especially well, and it's not like another military contract which has really lucrative contracts (weapons, machines, science and technology, intelligence gathering, engineering, etc). I'd imagine the government spends a tremendous amount of money on TSA that's virtually all wasted given their paltry success rates in independent studies.

You're probably right.

SolmisateSol

Nov 2, 2017
OP what happened to you was completely fair and also completely preventable. You're also complaining about toothpaste mang.

Yeah, TSA is a nuisance, and yeah they're probably just there as a false sense of security, but they were only doing their job.

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
I like that I paid for TSA pre-check and still got it randomly taken from me and a bunch of other people at random.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Yeah, they're awful. It's security theater that just exists to annoy and delay travelers. They've prevented jack shit in terms of terrorist attacks.

Only two things were required to prevent another 9/11: Locked cockpit doors, and passenger awareness that complying with an attacker in the cabin is the worst choice.

Instead we got the TSA and we invaded Iraq. It's unforgivable.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
because the aviation business doesn't want people to be afraid of flying after 9/11 so they set up this huge security theater, that really won't help if someone really is determined to get something dangerous on board, in order to make dumb people feel safe
On top of which, they make UNGODLY amounts of money from people who fly often and just pay 100 dollars annually to get TSA Precheck.

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just got my toothpaste stolen because it was too big. It's a regular sized tube. I'd like to know how stealing my toothpaste keeps America safe.

#TSAblows

Your post reminded me of this skit. It's ridiculous the random things they allow and disallow on a plane. I can't stand the TSA because I get "randomly selected" for a screening every damn time I fly. One of the cons of being a brown guy, but hey! At least we're safe...I think.