Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I'm all for classic Halo, but an improved Halo 5 style game that removes sprint (and ups the base movement speed) should be IMO the path forward to get the new and the old fans enjoying it together. If you're thinking of replying with "But I like sprint and slow base movement" may the gods have mercy on your soul.

Mao Rome

Dec 22, 2018
I know I might be the only one thinking this, but I would like a Far Cry style game but placed in the Halo ring. Please be gentle.

Noble

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you!!!

The thread also never was about what I'm expecting it to be.

Well, regardless of what it is about, I don't think the franchise would benefit from going back to its roots in terms of gameplay. It would benefit from a return to the classic narrative, tone and art style though, as I already said in my previous post.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
In a post-launch update, shortly before the 2nd DLC, the game was totally revamped to play more like modern Call of Duty games; faster movement speeds, unlimited sprint, snappier weapon handling, more customization options, etc. What was one a slow, bland, and boring CoD suddenly became a lot more kinetic and exciting due to the multiplayer team recognizing the faults of staying in the past, and the benefits of keeping up with the way your series was trending.

The fans ate it up. It was a noticeably improved experience on all fronts (spare the campaign, which is still rote and boring). You can't just hit a switch in the time machine and take your game, mechanics-wise, back to 2007. It will not work for Halo, period. Fans of the series love the older games, but when someone says "NEW HALO", they're not going to want Halo-3-but-prettier or Halo-Reach-but-prettier. They want something new.
I don't know who actually wants 2007 Halo 3 in 2020 but whenever I think of bringing back that gameplay, it's the style that should return, enhanced by any modern design that has been made since then that doesn't mess with the style.

That WW2 example is not a fault of staying in the past in terms of mechanics, that's Sledgehammer not properly doing it from the start. What you posted as being fixed are just QOL fixes made in the decade since World at War. That's not the fault of WW2 shooters with boots on the ground gameplay, that's the fault of developers not starting with how WW2 and BOTG can be improved from 2008 without messing with the core philosophy. They eventually did it but it's their mistake, not on the style of gameplay.

Halo 3 was pretty slow and Halo Infinite should not be that. I always see people talking about base movement speed needing a bump when this discussion happens, and obviously stuff like networking and aiming will be more modern than what was in 2007 because why would those not be improved. Other elements such as FOV and map design are also important to improve from 2007 as those would fall under the "well duh" category.

Jroc

Jun 9, 2018
I actually thought Halo 4 multiplayer was really fun in its own way. It's not what I expect from a Halo game, but in isolation it was enjoyable.

samurai1226

Dec 11, 2017
I'm pretty sure that Halo Infinite will build upon the recent Lootshooter, RPG elements and Open World trends. But gameplay going back to the roots would be awesome, especially since the classic artstyle will look totally out of place if they stay with the advanced mobility stuff.

This interview with Bonnie Ross is worth a watch for Halo fans. She directly said that they sat together with Phil Spencer if the next Halo should be Halo 5.5 or something different, and they both agreed that 5.5 is not the way to go. It's was also mentioned that Infinite will be some kind of Reboot.

goldenpp73

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Halo lost its identity with Halo 4 and beyond, Halo 5 was so generic I couldn't make it through it, the first Halo I didn't beat. I'm not sure if any company outside of Bungie can really capture the Halo magic at this point, but Halo Infinite is the last time I plan on holding out hope for the series.

Jan 4, 2018
agree on removing the spartans and at least changing the direction of the prometheans. I was fine with Halo 4's story. The thing that leaves a bad taste in my mouth can be summed up in the opening intro of Halo 5. Like you said, Halo 5 was terrible in that it took Halo 5 from the bleak military shooter and made it into mass effect - ish super heros against the world. I want the tone of original halos to come back. Heck, to dig even deeper, I loved reading the novels (Eric nylund specifically) because they read like a military-shooter ACTUALLY struggling to battle an alien race, not a super hero defeating the bad guys.

One thing I hated in Halo 5 SP has been the treatment of Jul 'Madma, the Covenant and Halsey.

Jul Madma's story really became interesting in Halo : Escalation (despite the UNSC being way too powerful imo). But he gets killed (and what a pathetic death !) on the first minutes of Halo 5 by Locke without much difficulty. One of the most anti-climatic deaths I ever experienced. I don't even know what was the purpose of getting rid of Jul 'Madma that early and so easily.

Halsey seeking revenge on the UNSC and working with Jul ? Gone. The fight over control of the Janus Key and the Absolute Record ? Gone. The new "leader" of the Covenant ? All of it gone within Halo 5's first minutes. Instead, we got out of nowhere evil Cortana and the Created which, I think, were a really bad idea.

Furthermore, I wasn't a fan of the campaign featuring 8 Spartans who are present at all times.
I LOVE Blue Team (and they deserves to be in Infinite), but I think it was better when there was only 1 Spartan sometimes helped by Marines, ODSTs, the Arbiter (Halo 3 at some moments) or other Spartans (Halo Reach at some moments). Marines and ODST could actually die (especially on Legendary) and I think it was adding to the atmosphere of a desperate, brutal, melancholic and bleak fight.
Spartans in Halo 5 are invincible whereras they died in Halo Reach. Something felt wrong.

About Halo 4, I love the Didact and I think it's an interesting antagonist.
Unfortunately, the final fight in Halo 4 has been anti-climatic and his treatment in Halo Escalation (off-screen) has been atrocious in my opinion. I think he deserved much better.
The real problems in Halo 4 SP in my opinion is the soundtrack (it's a good soundtrack but it's not very Halo and the volume was too low imo), the Prometheans, the treatment of the Covenant, terrible characters such as Roland, Palmer or Spartans-IV in general and some mechanics (bridge, push a button, etc.).

Last edited:

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
These topics feel weird to me. I love the older games and the way they played, but I also love the new games including sprint and ADS. I don't think a return to roots is a good move bc replaying the older entries felt antiquated. If Halo wants to be relevant it can't rely on the part of its base that wants more of the same.

Parenegade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OP have you watched gameplay of Doom Eternal? There is a dash function in that game. It also has a zip line you can use.

I personally would love Halo to move away from Sprint and move towards high speed base movement and a dash button like in Halo 5. Along with pads that could further your mobility. I agree though that Doom proves you don't need sprinting and ADS in the modern time.

I disagree with the idea of the mobility revolution being over though and if 343 go in that direction it won't be the end of the world. Your example Apex has some of the best movement I've seen in a video game.

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
Halo 3 with faster strafe/movement speed is about as perfect as you can get for Halo. I'm not a fan of clamber or thrusters. I agree with almost all of what OP said.

Oct 17, 2018
I 110% agree. Reach was the start of Halos downfall, and it wasn't because people got bored of Halo as a series, but because 343 were idiots and tried to chase other games audiences (like CoD by adding ADS and sprint and shit).

I know so many people that don't play Halo anymore because they added shit like Spartan abilities, sprint, ADS, thrusters, wall clambering, but all I want is for them remove that shit from RANKED. I don't give a shit if they keep it in social, but that kind of stuff has no place in ranked. If they did remove it, I would get Infinite in a heartbeat, same as all my mates.

Halo 4/5 has failed massively in terms of how it maintains a playerbase, so why not try it this way? Remove all that added shit that wasn't in the original 3 and see how it goes. If it doesn't do really well, re-add it to future iterations, but I can almost guarantee it would maintain a higher playerbase than what 5 is currently pulling.

Last edited:

Parenegade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I 110% agree. Reach was the start of Halos downfall, and it wasn't because people got bored of Halo as a series, but because 343 were idiots and tried to chase other games audiences (like CoD by adding ADS and sprint and shit).

I know so many people that don't play Halo anymore because they added shit like Spartan abilities, sprint, ADS, thrusters, wall clambering, but all I want is for them remove that shit from RANKED. I don't give a shit if they keep it in social, but that kind of stuff has no place in ranked. If they did remove it, I would get Infinite in a heartbeat, same as all my mates.

Halo 4/5 has failed massively in terms of how it maintains a playerbase, so why not try it this way? Remove all that added shit that wasn't in the original 3 and see how it goes. If it doesn't do really well, re-add it to future iterations, but I can almost guarantee it would maintain a higher playerbase than what 5 is currently pulling.

Let me making this perfectly clear. If you remove all forms of movement abilities from Halo it'll be a failure. You need something. You don't need all the shit they've added to the franchise (they need to cut down) but you can't have straight up Halo 3 walking around everywhere. Even a game with gameplay as classic focused as Doom Eternal has a dash.

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.

Reach was Bungie.

I've personally enjoyed the 343 mp more than Bungie versions. They always felt too slow.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
These topics feel weird to me. I love the older games and the way they played, but I also love the new games including sprint and ADS. I don't think a return to roots is a good move bc replaying the older entries felt antiquated. If Halo wants to be relevant it can't rely on the part of its base that wants more of the same.

You can return to the fundamentals and still tweak the sandbox so that feels as fast and responsive as modern shooters. People arent asking for a halo3 clone.

bixio

Banned
Mar 10, 2019
if it's anything like Reach, 4, 5, or Destiny it's gonna suck.

Needs to play like 3 played, more or less. Random weapons for online games. No loot BS.

They're gonna fuck it up, good thing MCC will be on PC so we can play a real Halo instead.

Oct 17, 2018
Reach was Bungie.

I've personally enjoyed the 343 mp more than Bungie versions. They always felt too slow.

Yeah I know, I worded that poorly. I meant 343 had the chance to reshift Halos direction from Reach back to what it originally was but failed to do so.

I'll always be cynical of 343 just because in the old place they always said "trust us" but that trust never paid off. They never actually did what fans wanted, just what they thought would make them the most money, it's why they tried chasing other games audiences.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
I know you are exaggerating here, but who is actually saying that or asking for all the above, when they say that they want a more classic experience? When I look back at games, I focus on the good things and think about how you could improve on the bad things that the games did.

I am exaggerating to make a point, but all the people saying Halo 3 was the pinnacle of the series and they want the next Halo to play like that are saying exactly that. I'm not against making a classic Halo, I'm against a bad playing classic Halo AKA Halo 3. If they said they wanted it to play like Halo 2 then I would understand. But people are saying they want it to play like Halo 3, or they want it to play like Halo 3 but with hitscan weapons--Oh you mean Halo 2.

I'm pretty sure that Halo Infinite will build upon the recent Lootshooter, RPG elements and Open World trends. But gameplay going back to the roots would be awesome, especially since the classic artstyle will look totally out of place if they stay with the advanced mobility stuff.

This interview with Bonnie Ross is worth a watch for Halo fans. She directly said that they sat together with Phil Spencer if the next Halo should be Halo 5.5 or something different, and they both agreed that 5.5 is not the way to go. It's was also mentioned that Infinite will be some kind of Reboot.
She literally means a Halo 5.5 in the same way ODST was a 3.5, a second campaign expansion so to speak. I highly doubt Halo Infinite will be a looter shooter, although the open world part seems more likely.

Anyway, my ideal Halo Infinite would look like this:
  • Gunplay and a weapon sandbox that is close to Halo 5, but with less bullet magnetism. Keep hit markers on weapons remove them on grenades.
  • Removal of sprint, spartan charge, clamber, stabilizer, slide and smart link
  • A base movement speed that's faster than ANY previous Halo closer to the doom reboot but probably a bit below that.
  • Thruster is retained, if you don't like thruster you can fuck right off into the nuclear reaction that is the sun along with your bad opinion, thruster is non-negotiable.
  • The full multiplayer experience you would come to expect from a Halo title is there at launch with a healthy amount of arena and BTB maps. Tertiary gametypes like Warzone should not cannibalize existing experiences like BTB. If the resources aren't there to do both, then Warzone or its successor should get the axe.

Last edited:

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
i really like thrust slide jumping though. keep both. and clamber - only design maps for regular jump height and crouch jumping. clamber should be just for jumps you otherwise miss.

CobaltBlu

Nov 29, 2017
I think they should increase the base move speed a bit and try to improve the base mechanics of the game but I'd like to see them ditch sprint and ADS. High mobility and ADS aren't requirements for being a successful FPS game these days any more than when Halo first came out. I'd like to see them try to recapture the original feel in a modern package, a lot of people fell off the series when they started adding sprint, jetpacks etc.

Avinash117

Oct 25, 2017
Games usually marketing about returning to its roots usually refer to the feeling, experience, and memories that you first got when playing the games. Game mechanics are part of it, but matters little to mainstream gamers. Almost every game that did a reboot changed the formula somewhat or vastly , but the developers tries to give you the experiences that you first got or something similar.

Gaming convictions are basically trends, and always changing over the years, so I don't know what 343 is doing with Halo Infinite's gameplay, but they are certainly are trying to have players get the wonderment feeling that they got from Halo 1 while drawing inspiration from older art styles. What I got from Halo Infinite teaser is probably something that Bungie always wanted to do, but never had the time or resources to do.

I expect Halo Infinite to draw on the themes and atmosphere from the older Halo games with an inspired art style, but play very differently from the current Halo games in the end.

Last edited:

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
I am exaggerating to make a point, but all the people saying Halo 3 was the pinnacle of the series and they want the next Halo to play like that are saying exactly that. I'm not against making a classic Halo, I'm against a bad playing classic Halo AKA Halo 3. If they said they wanted it to play like Halo 2 then I would understand. But people are saying they want it to play like Halo 3, or they want it to play like Halo 3 but with hitscan weapons--Oh you mean Halo 2.

I think what's happening here is that people are just too lazy to make a longer post explaining what they actually mean by "should play like <insert game here>". Really doubt that people are seriously requesting the things that you have listed in your previous post, just like I doubt that you are requesting SMG starts and dual wielding with your Halo 2 example in this post. Don't think there is inherrently anything wrong with people wanting Infinite to play "like" Halo CE, 2 or even 3, because that "like" can mean a variety of things and not just a 1:1 copy. But maybe I'm also reading every comparison post wrong and they actually want a 1:1 copy, in which case I would obviously agree with you.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If infinite caves to this weird fringe demand of getting rid of the IVs, Prometheans, and then bringing back the covenant then 343 should just shutter the franchise and make H3 open source or some shit. It's such a selfish idea.

OP
OP
Stowaway Silfer

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
OP have you watched gameplay of Doom Eternal? There is a dash function in that game. It also has a zip line you can use.

I personally would love Halo to move away from Sprint and move towards high speed base movement and a dash button like in Halo 5. Along with pads that could further your mobility. I agree though that Doom proves you don't need sprinting and ADS in the modern time.
Yeah I have seen it and the dash/zip line look fun.

In the case of Halo though what I'd find more interesting would be for such features to be added through the sandbox. For example Thruster Pack returns and serves as your dash, gameplay-wise works like it does in Halo 5 but is made a map pickup in the form of an Armor Ability (as it was in 4). For a while now I've felt like Armor Abilities would've been more interesting and fitting features as map pickups, kind of like Equipment in Halo 3 and also like they were in Reach's campaign (and H4 too I think). It's an additional thing to fight over for map control, devs and forgers can place specific ones based on the type of gameplay they want in a particular map, while also being able to use them in the campaign again for varied gameplay across levels. And as map pickups, their influence is limited compared to features that are present across the board and maps can be retooled and re-balanced with replaced or removed AAs with relatively small impact (cause it'd be just like when they replace power weapons).

Oct 25, 2017
If they remove clamber, it better be in service of refining the dash and thruster mobility options. You know how good it feels to boost behind cover and readjust your strategy?

So fucking good. It felt so weighty too. Which made the move so much more cathartic. I don't ever want to lose that now that I have it.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Obligatory response to "classic halo too slow"

Vanilla Halo 3 has, relatively speaking, a base move speed that is faster than halo 5 sprint. and you do don't have stop shooting or limit yourself to looking in a single direction to achieve this speed.

MLG H3 settings are even faster, with traversal and match speeds generally meeting or exceeding H5s

Halo 3's. Biggest problem, in terms of locomotion, is that it feels slow because of the FoV- something that can easily be fixed w/o new mechanics.

I'm all for a Halo Infinite that looks,feels, and is faced paced compared to the past , but spartan abilities aren't needed to achieve that.

If infinite caves to this weird fringe demand of getting rid of the IVs, Prometheans, and then bringing back the covenant then 343 should just shutter the franchise and make H3 open source or some shit. It's such a selfish idea.

These aren't some fringe demands, Spartan IVs and Prometheans are easily the most poorly received of 343s contributions- even among people who generally like 343s work. How is it selfish to want the company to try using successful fundamentals as the foundation?

Last edited:

Interficium

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
A bunch of devs tried "throwback" shooters from 2015-2017. Remember the "arena shooters are back!" meme?

They all failed. What's different now.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
At the end it all comes down that the community cant figure out what they want also. Thats why it so hard to develop Halo in this day and age. I dont envy 343.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

This video is so flawed; it's crazy. For one, the maps don't have to be that big. With lower potential kill times akin to Halo 1, they could have smaller maps even with sprint. Call of Duty has small maps and the game has sprint, but it's balanced by its kill times.

And two, this video is incredibly biased as you can't just dismiss the available movement options because you're trying to force a point. Moving around Truth in Halo 5 is faster than moving around Midship in Halo 2 and Heretic in Halo 3 when using all options available to you and with paths that weren't previously available. You can't make a jump from the bases to top mid in Halo 2 and 3, but you could in Halo 5, for example.
MLG H3 settings are even faster, with traversal and match speeds generally meeting or exceeding H5s

Halo 3's. Biggest problem, in terms of locomotion, is that it feels slow because of the FoV- something that can easily be fixed w/o new mechanics.
Halo could definitely use a FoV increase, that's for sure. And yup, there were several improvements made by MLG H3, but Bungie didn't want to implement those changes across the board. What a damn shame that was too, I'm sure the community at large would've preferred the MLG settings. It's like the HCS radar in Halo 5 -- that change needs to be made; it's an unquestionable improvement.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
A bunch of devs tried "throwback" shooters from 2015-2017. Remember the "arena shooters are back!" meme?

They all failed. What's different now.

Most of those were weak IPs/low quality games, devoid of many modern social hooks.

We're talking about Halo, a game that will still sell millions on its name alone. It's long term success probably hinges more on its social features than its mechanics, but as H4 and H5 has taught us, simply following mechanical trends isn't a path to wider engagement with the franchise. We won't know what's possible with a modern take on classic Halo until someone provides one.

Welfare

Oct 26, 2017
At the end it all comes down that the community cant figure out what they want also. Thats why it so hard to develop Halo in this day and age. I dont envy 343.
343 knew what the general complaints about Halo Reach were enough to give it a TU and they somehow double downed on everything wrong with the direction Reach was setting with Halo 4.

Halo 5 was a half step back to old Halo but 343 being stuck in their ways thinking what they had was really good for the series.

I would say just from sales and most played positions on Xbox, New Halo is unpopular (relative of course) and not viable in the current market and going forward with it spells even more irrelevancy for the brand and in turn Xbox as a whole.

Old Halo is more popular than current, full stop. Figuring out how 343 can evolve off those games rather than what they have developed will be the hard part.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
When I'm talking about Halo 3 being too slow I'm not just talking about movement, but the projectile BR, equipment and shield doors slowing down engagements. And Halo 3 may have the same BMS as 2, but it certainly feels slower due to the FoV and the feeling and perception of something does matter. Just like smart scope being functionally identical to classic scope on ranged weapons but people still think it plays like CoD.

I would say just from sales and most played positions on Xbox, New Halo is unpopular (relative of course) and not viable in the current market and going forward with it spells even more irrelevancy for the brand and in turn Xbox as a whole.

Halo 5 is above MCC in "Most Played" and that's consistently the case.

Last edited:

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
This video is so flawed; it's crazy. For one, the maps don't have to be that big. With lower potential kill times akin to Halo 1, they could have smaller maps even with sprint. Call of Duty has small maps and the game has sprint, but it's balanced by its kill times.

And two, this video is incredibly biased as you can't just dismiss the available movement options because you're trying to force a point. Moving around Truth in Halo 5 is faster than moving around Midship in Halo 2 and Heretic in Halo 3 when using all options available to you and with paths that weren't previously available. You can't make a jump from the bases to top mid in Halo 2 and 3, but you could in Halo 5, for example.

1: The maps don't have to be that big, but they are. I can't compare Heretic to some non-existent version of Truth that isn't stretched, 1:1, to accommodate sprint.

2: yes, there are ways to move even faster yet, in H5 (slide-trust, thrust bumps etc) but the gif is literally comparing base movement speeds. That's all it ever claims to do, so I don't see how that's biased.

3: you can't move from the bases to top mid on vanilla H3, but you can with MLG settings (which incorporates the base speed changes i'm actually endorsing) - and you can do it while looking/shooting in any direction.

If Halo Infinite scaled back to a single base move speeds, but kept thrust and slide, we'd have a net speed increase over H5, w/o needing sprint, w/o needing to limit these actions to one direction and w/o needing to stop shooting- meaning it's possible to play like classic halo, while still feeling and being as fast as modern halo, if not faster. This gif makes that relationship apparent.

Halo could definitely use a FoV increase, that's for sure. And yup, there were several improvements made by MLG H3, but Bungie didn't want to implement those changes across the board. What a damn shame that was too, I'm sure the community at large would've preferred the MLG settings. It's like the HCS radar in Halo 5 -- that change needs to be made; it's an unquestionable improvement.

Bungie screwed the pooch with Vanilla H3 and Reach for sure, but 343s been with the franchise for like 12 years now. I think we gotta wonder why they haven't atleast tried to throw a bone to fans who want a modern take on classic fundamentals. Hell, a month long H5 playlist with Evolved or a Spartan II settings would have been a great way to test the waters.

When I'm talking about Halo 3 being too slow I'm not just talking about movement, but the projectile BR, equipment and shield doors slowing down engagements. And Halo 3 may have the same BMS as 2, but it certainly feels slower due to the FoV and the feeling and perception of something does matter. Just like smart scope being functionally identical to classic scope on ranged weapons but people still think it plays like CoD.

Sure but by bringing up those those, you are bringing up elements that people probably don't want out of a return to classic Halo.

That's the problem with all these discussions. Some says "I want classic halo fundamentals to be the foundation of the franchise", and somehow all people hear "I want a Halo 3 clone, warts and all".

Vanilla Halo 3 was a shitty game IMO. I'd rather play H5 any day of the week. But that doesn't change the fact that I think H5 plays better when Sprint is replaced with a faster BMS, because it doesn't put animations between me and traversing freely while engaging enemies - which is a fundamental nuance of the classic formula that has been removed via Spartan Abilities.

Last edited:

Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018
I think Halo would benefit from going back when it comes to tone, art style, music and stuff like that, but when it comes to gameplay, the additions of Halo 5 improve the experience. With the game´s world getting bigger than ever, sprint seems like it´ll be a necessity. Many point out Doom as an example of why sprinting isn´t needed, but in that game the character moves at sprinting speed by default, and that would really interfere with Halo´s sandbox, which is where the game´s identity really is. Sprinting in Halo 5 is actually pretty brilliant: you move faster, but shields don´t reload and it takes forever to start shooting if you run into another player. However, it stops those ridiculous moments where you´re chasing someone and you both just move at the same speed and never catch up.

Keep halo 5 movement. Just a few tweaks. I really just don't like that maps were designed specifically with clambering in mind. I like clambering but it really felt they went out of their way to make simple jumps impossible without grabbing a ledge.

I thought that too at first, but eventually (after months and hundreds of hours though) I found that many levels could be navigated through the skies without clambering. It takes practice and memorizing the levels very well though.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
1: The maps don't have to be that big, but they are. I can't compare Heretic to some non-existent version of Truth that isn't stretched, 1:1, to accommodate sprint.
But why is sprint used as the only reasoning to that? We also have weapons with more consistency and reliability at range, but no one ever mentions that. It's always only sprint's fault.
2: yes, there are ways to move even faster yet, in H5 (slide-trust, thrust bumps etc) but the gif is literally comparing base movement speeds.
It's a moot comparison, and it's constantly used as opposition to sprint when it's not a good argument.
Bungie screwed the pooch with Vanilla H3 and Reach for sure, but 343s been with the franchise for like 12 years now. I think we gotta wonder why they haven't atleast tried to throw a bone to classic halo fans. Hell, a month long H5 playlist with Evolved or a Spartan II settings would have been a great way to test the waters.
They gave us Legendary starts in Halo 4 and pulled back many of those design changes post launch. Then they gave us a more classic design approach with Halo 5. They also gave us many classic playlists in both Halo 4 and Halo 5, but usually these playlists don't have lasting power unfortunately. To say they "haven't at least tried to throw a bone to classic Halo fans" is a lie. Maybe you're just being hyperbolic and dismissing the things they've done in the heat of this discussion, but you know it's not true.

To me, where Halo 4 and Halo 5 ended up makes sense. Halo 4 was already in development before Reach came out, so of course it was going to continue down that path since they were still a young studio following Bungie's footsteps. And Halo 5 makes sense because they gave us what many in the community wanted: a return to the classic formula while bringing in fresh ideas like thrust etc.

Welfare

Oct 26, 2017
That doesn't disprove my point and also they are 4 spots apart. Not much difference when they are that low in the charts.

My point for most played was where Halo 5 actually was in the charts. So yeah, being in the top 40 alongside a port of games that already sold millions on previous consoles is not a good look for new Halo, along with what it is actually getting beat by.

Looking at the most played chart it's insane to see Black Ops 2 in the top 50.

OP
OP
Stowaway Silfer

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think any dev, behind Halo or otherwise, expects a monolithic entity out of their community though. And they're most likely well aware that the ways in which they change the game make that already unrealistic proposition even harder to realize.
Which is why the topic wasn't really about the community figuring it out together or agreeing or coming to the conclusion of one being better for everyone. Because there's no perfect and fully satisfying middle ground to be had with games developed differently on a basic level and it's not really fair or compelling to say "I like X more than Y and my liking of X is more important than your liking of Y" to someone, regardless of which side is being argued for.

And like with Halo, many franchises that have gone in multiple directions have fans for each of them, like Doom 3, DmC (like me), Resi 6, the early CoDs from this gen, etc. but yet showed that focusing on one direction that wasn't the most recent one proved worthwhile.

Nevertheless, I also don't envy 343 lol.

We won't know what's possible with a modern take on classic Halo until someone provides one.
This is something that's important to keep in mind. I wasn't really interested in comparing Halo entries to each other in my OP because it didn't feel necessary to my point but it is important to note that no matter how well/poorly we think a modern take on classic Halo would do, we haven't actually had that. What we actually have are Halo 4 and Halo 5, games that had different foundations from Halo 3 (and from each other) and also happen to not have been as successful in their respective periods as Halo 3 was in its own. So it's important to remember that despite how necessary some of the changes may seem to keep Halo at or near the top, the games that happen to have those changes have not at all had that result and we don't know if a game without those kinds of changes would've had the same fate or not because that game doesn't exist.

The answer lies in the community tools and matchmaking/customs browser options.
I don't really have any set expectation in terms of how Halo Infinite will play but with the time taken, I think it's fairly safe to say it'll launch with the community tools H5 ended up receiving like Customs Browser and I'm very curious to see how that helps it.

Sprinting in Halo 5 is actually pretty brilliant: you move faster, but shields don´t reload and it takes forever to start shooting if you run into another player. However, it stops those ridiculous moments where you´re chasing someone and you both just move at the same speed and never catch up.
Though I'd prefer for it not to be in Halo, when looking at the game in its own right I agree that Halo 5's sprint is a good implementation of the feature and the best that Halo has had in my opinion.
(I do find it dumb that two survival functions of the character and their armor, health/shield regen and evasion, seemingly work against each other but whatever)

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
I can take both the old and the new Halo, but I have to say that I loved most changes introduced by Halo 5 (Reach and Halo 4 far less so), and going back would feel like an unwelcome regression. But I'd like to see Infinite go back to the roots in other ways, when it comes to encounters, world design, enemy AI, and so on.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
But why is sprint used as the only reasoning to that? We also have weapons with more consistency and reliability at range, but no one ever mentions that. It's always only sprint's fault.

Because the weapons were also made to be more reliable at range BECAUSE of the increased mobility options - which is also the reason for stretching the maps.

It's a moot comparison, and it's constantly used as opposition to sprint when it's not a good argument.

It's not a moot comparison at all. If someone is arguing that sprint is needed to boost the speed of the game, it's perfectly reasonable to showcase how that isn't true. You can rebutt by saying "you forgot about thrust and slide!", but neither of those things inherently require sprint and could be included w/o sprint - which makes such a rebuttal the truly moot point.

They gave us Legendary starts in Halo 4 and pulled back many of those design changes post launch. Then they gave us a more classic design approach with Halo 5. They also gave us many classic playlists in both Halo 4 and Halo 5, but usually these playlists don't have lasting power unfortunately. To say they "haven't at least tried to throw a bone to classic Halo fans" is a lie. Maybe you're just being hyperbolic and dismissing the things they've done in the heat of this discussion, but you know it's not true.

I wasn't clear, but talking I'm about throwing a bone within Halo 5, preferably while the game still had a sizable population. And I'm also not talking about a simple "classic playlist" which has meant either:

1) playing on forge re-creations stretched to accommodate H5 abilities and weapons, or

2)playing abilities off, on faithful re-creations but with H5s weapon/health balancing around to break the experience.

Those are half-assed. I'm talking about actual attempts to make an experience with the nuance of a classic game, but within the modern framework. That's why I specifically mentioned Evolved and Spartan II settings -

the former removed SAs, tweaked move speed, shield and health, had custom made forge maps and hand picked the weapons on map to keep gameplay fast, but more in tune with classic sensibilities

The latter kept Spartan abilities, but tweaked move speed, jump height and gravity such that playing with classic strategy and tactics was no longer a handicap, and a good player could move as effectively w/o SAs as anyone else could with them, but SAs still provided an element of risk/reward.

Also, I don't think H5 is "throwing a bone to classic fans" as much as it is a realization that Halo 4 MP was an unmitigated disaster and staying course would lead to complete market rejection.

To me, where Halo 4 and Halo 5 ended up makes sense. Halo 4 was already in development before Reach came out, so of course it was going to continue down that path since they were still a young studio following Bungie's footsteps. And Halo 5 makes sense because they gave us what many in the community wanted: a return to the classic formula while bringing in fresh ideas like thrust etc.

H4 was developed along side Reach, with very little interaction between the studios. They didn't really follow in Bungie's footsteps- the chose a path that pretty much ignored most of the Bungie principles they had to guide them: CE-3

H5 brought back Some classic principles - like Even Starts and Weapons on Map, but mechanically it seems they were more interested in legitimizing previously maligned ideas by pairing them with a classic rule set than they were at actually reclaiming classic nuance.

Last edited:

Deleted member 8579

Oct 26, 2017
I honestly don't care much at this point beyond keeping it reasonably simple without annoying fluff. Just make a good game with good encounters, balanced and fun weapons etc. A clear art style is really the main thing I'm glad to see addressed and the teaser seems on point with that. I want 343 to make a cool game, if they make something new and it's great, awesome. Same goes for multiplayer even though I like the arena style but if they introduce a new mode, I'm all for it and hope it's good. I just want a great game, I'll judge it as it comes.

Watership

Oct 27, 2017
If there is slow movement, no enhanced mobility and no way to aim down sights, then there making an old halo game and it will be DOA. Move forward, don't try and just make Halo1-3 again.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Remove the thrusters and climbing mechanics for the love of god. They absolutely destroyed Halo's pacing.

If there is slow movement, no enhanced mobility and no way to aim down sights, then there making an old halo game and it will be DOA. Move forward, don't try and just make Halo1-3 again.

You don't move slower in the old halo's in fact, you move faster. All of the flair from the "enhanced mobility" is an illusion. Halo regressed when those were added.

Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018
Also, if Halo 5 was as fast as people make it seem to be, we would be looking at much shorter average match lengths, but we really aren't.
That's not necessarily true. It's faster to get from one point to another, but in order to end a match you need to get to players, not to places, and players move all faster. For instance, it's easier to escape from ambushes.