Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018
What's clear is that no matter what they do and how good it is, people will complain and the community will remain divided.

OverHeatQc

Nov 5, 2018
There is a product for people who wants old school Halo....(joking)
But seriously I thrust 343i to deliver a great experience

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really wish halo 4/5 never happened, the new promethean race 343 created is offensively dull and just boring

Orbit

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
One thing I hated in Halo 5 SP has been the treatment of Jul 'Madma, the Covenant and Halsey.

Jul Madma's story really became interesting in Halo : Escalation (despite the UNSC being way too powerful imo). But he gets killed (and what a pathetic death !) on the first minutes of Halo 5 by Locke without much difficulty. One of the most anti-climatic deaths I ever experienced. I don't even know what was the purpose of getting rid of Jul 'Madma that early and so easily.

Halsey seeking revenge on the UNSC and working with Jul ? Gone. The fight over control of the Janus Key and the Absolute Record ? Gone. The new "leader" of the Covenant ? All of it gone within Halo 5's first minutes. Instead, we got out of nowhere evil Cortana and the Created which, I think, were a really bad idea.

Furthermore, I wasn't a fan of the campaign featuring 8 Spartans who are present at all times.
I LOVE Blue Team (and they deserves to be in Infinite), but I think it was better when there was only 1 Spartan sometimes helped by Marines, ODSTs, the Arbiter (Halo 3 at some moments) or other Spartans (Halo Reach at some moments). Marines and ODST could actually die (especially on Legendary) and I think it was adding to the atmosphere of a desperate, brutal, melancholic and bleak fight.
Spartans in Halo 5 are invincible whereras they died in Halo Reach. Something felt wrong.

About Halo 4, I love the Didact and I think it's an interesting antagonist.
Unfortunately, the final fight in Halo 4 has been anti-climatic and his treatment in Halo Escalation (off-screen) has been atrocious in my opinion. I think he deserved much better.
The real problems in Halo 4 SP in my opinion is the soundtrack (it's a good soundtrack but it's not very Halo and the volume was too low imo), the Prometheans, the treatment of the Covenant, terrible characters such as Roland, Palmer or Spartans-IV in general and some mechanics (bridge, push a button, etc.).

Agreed. The reason you posted above regarding Halo:Escalation is why I have not read ANY of the new novels post bungie involvement. I always wished that Bungie added more story depth to Halo 1-3 (they kinda did with 3), but they always seemed to have surface level plot. However, after playing 5, I wish that is what 5 would've done. I mean, how can you bring back BLUE team - the infamous, awesome blue team - and subject their stories just to pathetic group dialogue and a simple reference to the whistle when Cortana was guiding them?! Yeah and the fact the new Covenant leader was taken down by one spartan and with no effort or struggle at all - not even a boss battle?! The only thing I can guess - and hope - is that the production went to crap SP-wise and the team had to salvage what they had. I mean, the adverts were seriously crap and lied to the consumer on the chief/locke story side. Yeah, 343 has a lot of work (And rightfully so) ahead of them SP wise. I read somewhere they called Halo: Infinite a 'spiritual' reboot...i love these vague dev terms that are just going to end up biting them in the butt later.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Also, if Halo 5 was as fast as people make it seem to be, we would be looking at much shorter average match lengths, but we really aren't.

Yup, we spend too much time in animations that prevent us from dealing damage for that to happen.

Last edited:

Jeffrey Guang

Nov 4, 2017
Taiwn
I would argue that enhanced mobility is a must if you want to convey the idead that Spartans are modified humans with super reflexes, mobility and strength.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
If the game has sprint, the game is going to be binned faster than Halo 5 ever dreamed of.
You're wrong, but ok... There were many other issues with the game that caused it to be binned hard. Sprint wasn't one of them. Everyone seems to be super excited for Reach MP yet that game had sprint.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
You're wrong, but ok... There were many other issues with the game that caused it to be binned hard. Sprint wasn't one of them. Everyone seems to be super excited for Reach MP yet that game had sprint.

People are excited to be getting Halo on PC at all.

Amongst all the excitement is a lot of anxiety about which Reach setting will be on offer by default. The handling of Sprint was one of Reach's biggest criticism.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
That's not necessarily true. It's faster to get from one point to another, but in order to end a match you need to get to players, not to places, and players move all faster. For instance, it's easier to escape from ambushes.

This is some weird logic. You absolutely do have to get to places, because that's where weapons, powerups and players are. Players moving faster is also an illusion, because the maps are stretched out and designed arround Sprint and other Spartan Abilities. What you also say about it being easier to escape from ambushes is an effect of Sprint, Thruster and Clamber and maps that are full of nooks and cranies. Those drag out the encounters and thus matches and don't make them faster in all scenarios. Plus, this is without even taking the Average Kill Time or Perfect Kill Time into account, which also stayed relatively the same (aside from Halo CE's Magnum, which has a ~50% quicker kill time than pretty much any utility weapon).

I'd gladly illustrate this with supporting data, but since HaloTracker for Halo 3, 4 and Reach are dead and there is no API support for Halo: MCC, this is currently impossible without the help of the developer. Anyways, here is one graph that I found for Halo 5 on this matter:

6.1.png

People are excited to be getting Halo on PC at all.

Amongst all the excitement is a lot of anxiety about which Reach setting will be on offer by default. The handling of Sprint was one of Reach's biggest criticism.

Pretty much. I look forward to Campaign, a couple Pro Slayer matches and modding support, but I shudder when I have to think about things like Bloom, Armor Abilites and (grey Forge) maps. lol

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2018
The AAA game industry loves to chase trends, but if there is one trend I'd like for them to chase it would "returning to the roots." Trend-chasing has resulted in too many games being all same-y. Last gen it was going after the whole gritty "realistic" modern-day/near-future shooter with loadouts in the multiplayer mode. This generation it was enhanced mobility and, more recently, battle royal modes. In the mid 90s it was gory fighting games attempting to capitalize on Mortal Kombat's success. While there is nothing inherently wrong with adding or changing things inspired by other games, far too often it results in more homogenized game design within genres.

And Halo wasn't spared from this trend-chasing. While the original game was a pioneer that either introduced or popularized things that are now standard in the genre—the guns/grenades/melee triad, twin stick controls, the two weapon limit, level designs that weren't all claustrophobic corridor crawls—recent games in the series have instead leaned more towards being imitators instead of letting the series keep doing its own thing.

Reach and especially Halo 4 were COD-ified Halo, which eschewed the level playing field of the first three games in favor of an unbalanced loadout system. While Halo 5 returned things to a level playing field, it went full-bore with enhanced mobility, which was all the rage at the time, ditching the slow, methodical pace of the original in favor of a twitchy fast-paced experience that had profound effects on map design and the flow of combat. Even Reach and Halo 4 experimented with enhanced mobility with sprint and jetpacks.

I'm all for Halo continuing to evolve its combat, but not in ways that move it too far away from the fundamentals that made the older games so unique. The scale of Halo CE made it really stand out at the time, so maybe future games ought to focus on those sorts of massive, awe-inspiring environments and diverse, large-scale encounters (maybe not outright open-world, but definitely levels that actually do surpass Assault on the Control Room in terms of playable area traversable not just by vehicle, but on foot if the player so chooses). Perhaps Warzone can be expanded upon similarly, by making it a truly large-scale multiplayer experience, like a 16v16 or even 24v24 mode with a wider variety of subtypes on maps that actually do have several times the playable area of Blood Gulch. Maybe more interactive environments like the kind we saw in Halo 2 and Halo 2 Anniversary multiplayer could be added. But the pacing and balance of Halo's combat should remain more or less what it was in the original trilogy, with a level playing field and a slower, more deliberate pace. Halo 2 Anniversary took that old-school gameplay and polished it, and as a result it created what I felt was the best-playing Halo multiplayer mode to date.

I really hope Halo Infinite is a return to form for the series. I love Halo, and it's about the only thing I play online for the multiplayer, but under 343 Industry's watch the series feels less and less like Halo in terms of gameplay and aesthetics. Well, the latter seems to be going more classic in style, so hopefully it's the case for the former as well.