Status
Not open for further replies.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
For this specific matter? Do you have a link?

The source is a tweet from one of their employees which he deleted specifically because he said it was getting too much attention.

www.resetera.com

Nintendo is double-matching staff donations to the Black Lives Matter Movement, also has stayed silent all day #BlackoutTuesday

Artist at Nintendo confirms it, they have also not tweeted anything at all today, it very well could be because it is #BlackoutTuesday, they have not made a statement yet however. They do match donations a lot in various cases when something happens, it is still dishearting that they have not...

Nintendo has a years old policy of keeping their donations secret so as to avoid the idea that they are using donations to gain free PR:

This same shareholder asked a followup question: "During the Tohoku earthquake disaster, I believe people in the evacuation centers were lacking in exercise. Why didn't you bring Wii Fit to them? Why didn't you show off to the media that you're doing more for the victims?"

Iwata responded that while it is true that some may be able to use Wii Fit to recover from their lack of exercise, others might have lost loved ones and wanted to spend time quietly. So, they felt that it would not be good to send out product indiscriminately.

However, Nintendo did actually did ask the governing bodies of affected areas and sent needed items. They did the same for evacuation shelters. While doing this, they did not feel that they should show their actions off to the world, and had a policy of not involving the media.

Nintendo's policy in this area is actually so firm that Iwata said they wouldn't be including the response to this particular question in the official minutes of the shareholders meeting. The only reason I was able to post it here is because someone else provided a transcript.

This is likely why the employee deleted his tweet, Nintendo doesn't like their donations to be made public. While I find that approach admirable in general, I do think in this instance silence is worse than making it look like free PR.

No it really isn't. The situation is plain, just because you have a minority in a position of power, that doesn't say shit about that body's desire to tackle issues or race. It doesn't mean anything unless we see underlying change take place.

I wasn't talking about Nintendo's desire to tackle these issues, just how Nintendo internally treats black employees when it comes to hiring or promoting them.

Man, am I suppose to be impressed that in a country where 13% of the population is black, a board of directors appointed a black person? Because I am not. Nintendo hiring Reggie doesn't make Nintendo progressive. It highlights how racist ajd broken the country is that this is of note.

The board of directors is in Japan, where the population is probably no more than 1% black. And yes, I'm not claiming either country isn't racist.

You really think this is what it means? I have a bridge to sell you. You don't get bonus points because you hired a black person to run your company. That doesn't mean you value diversity. Black person can run your company well so you picked them. So what?

Again, the fact that they demonstrably DO value diversity amongst their workforce is why I think they value diversity amongst their workforce. Hiring a black man as the president of their largest branch is one aspect of that, having ~30% of your workforce be female is another.

Then we are fine. They should speak up.

Agreed. There's no good reason for them to stay silent here.

Hu3

Oct 25, 2017
skittzo0413 you keep bringing that tweet, where that person didn't even specify that they donated to the pressing matter also they just made a jocular tweet. Where they didn't show proof or anything tangible. And it keeps being thrown around in defense of the discussion.

seroun

Banned
Oct 25, 2018
Exactly. We can't expect Nintendo to overthrow all evil structures or anything. But even corny cultural commodification like the rainbow logos is an example of how far the culture has progressed.

Anti-gay tolerance became unacceptable, by codifying it both through the SCOTUS decision and then really truly through the things like that. Culturally sending the message that THIS IS WHO WE ARE.

The amount of anti-gay slurs that were casually acceptable even 10 years ago shows you the value of shit like that. It doesn't eradicate all problems. But it is childish to assume that media/brands do not have MAASSSSSIIIIIVE influence on people's brains.

One piece of evidence - us being here right now

I would say we still greatly greatly greatly underestimate the degree to which we can be manipulated. We all think we are very clever and unique individuals. We are all sort of exceptional a bit. It would never occur to us to think this is actually a very common thought and maybe even an example of American propaganda at play. American culture so heavily prizes & reinforces individualism over collectivism that it wouldn't occur to us to think that our frameworks might not be our own, that maybe a horrifying amount of our thoughts play on tracks we didn't plant and don't know where they go!

We're all in a big fleshy hairy snowball. Society, man. A biiiiiiig fleshy hairy snowball rolling down hill. Everything matters and counts and adds to the shape and with enough momentum you can significantly change the trajectory

I agree, at the end, brands are comporations aren't our allies, but they can be less evil by simply helping normalizing a cause for the good of everyone.

Thanks guys for making me understand better, my perspective came from a very cynical place but the truth is that ignoring the impact logos, social media, and messages that businesses put out is only giving the powerful and the oppressors even more power.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
skittzo0413 you keep bringing that tweet, where that person didn't even specify that they donated to the pressing matter also they just made a jocular tweet. Where they didn't show proof or anything tangible. And it keeps being thrown around in defense of the discussion.

Why do they need to show proof or anything tangible? Why are you not taking his word for it that Nintendo double matched his donation? It's not exactly hard to believe.

Hu3

Oct 25, 2017
Why do they need to show proof or anything tangible? Why are you not taking his word for it that Nintendo double matched his donation? It's not exactly hard to believe.

yes it is, because the tone of the tweet, because the person didn't specify that they donated to this specific cause. Because all employees from other companies. See: Sony and Microsoft are putting the receipts in their tweets showing that the company is matching their donations.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Are you giving your cash to companies who exploit children? Yes, yes most likely you are, with so many electronics around, i know i am, inevitably.

Companies who manufacture electronics in plants where they need to put nets so that suicidal persons don't kill themselves...
I don't want to hear their opinion, they're hypocrites, whatever they spew publically is marketing strategy. It does not minimize what is going on in the US, i'm just saying that these companies are hypocrites and should not looked at for a social/political opinions.

I'm much more interested in what SOCIAL platforms would be saying and what they can do to fix this mess, because they are in a big way responsible for the modern social gap that split your country and typically they are based in the US.

whnuvoh4od031.jpg

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
yes it is, because the tone of the tweet, because the person didn't specify that they donated to this specific cause. Because all employees from other companies. See: Sony and Microsoft are putting the receipts in their tweets showing that the company is matching their donations.

Nintendo as a matter of policy matches employee donations to charitable organizations. They have done this for years. I find it very hard to believe that this employee saying they are now double matching his donations is unrelated to BLM.

I've said they should make a statement many times. Them not making a statement doesn't mean they aren't donating.

The idea that the only way you can believe someone is donating is by them publicly stating it is honestly quite ridiculous. Especially when that same company has a well-documented years old policy of not publicly disclosing their donations.

Hu3

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo as a matter of policy matches employee donations to charitable organizations. They have done this for years. I find it very hard to believe that this employee saying they are now double matching his donations is unrelated to BLM.

I've said they should make a statement many times. Them not making a statement doesn't mean they aren't donating.

The idea that the only way you can believe someone is donating is by them publicly stating it is honestly quite ridiculous.

Don't put words in my mouth. I am speaking specific of this tweet. The person in question made a tweet and latter deleted it. Stating that they don't want the attention which is really odd.

never in any of my remarks I generalized needing that every person needs to make it public If they donated.

Komali

Sep 25, 2018
So clarify. LGBT is common sense, something that should be embraced. But Black Lives Matter is somehow not common sense? You don't think black lives matter or what?
Read again. I was referring to Nintendos policies regarding what is considered political or not by them, not my personal views.

xpownz

▲ Legend ▲
Feb 13, 2020
surprised that people still think companies are anything but moneymakers

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Don't put words in my mouth. I am speaking specific of this tweet. The person in question made a tweet and latter deleted it. Stating that they don't want the attention which is really odd.

never in any of my remarks I generalized needing that every person needs to make it public If they donated.

You said you find it hard to believe that Nintendo is double matching his donations. That's what I'm referring to when I say that "The idea that the only way you can believe someone is donating is by them publicly stating it is honestly quite ridiculous", the someone being Nintendo.

Stating that they don't want the attention is not odd because Nintendo has a well-documented policy of not wanting to make their donations public, which I linked to above. So an employee who knows that their employer doesn't like their donations to be made public taking down his tweet discussing that employer double matching his donations is extremely logical.

Again, I don't understand why it's hard to believe at all. Nothing about the tweet was vague or unclear, and nothing about his reasoning to delete it was either.

RABicle

Banned
Feb 18, 2018
Western Australia
As much as I enjoy that comic, it's not fair to use it in response to Buggy's comment. We all know there is no ethical consumption under capitlalism but Buggy points out that all social messaging from companies and brands are advertising, whether they mean it or not. And that you should not be looking for social commentary or political leadership from a toy company. I know, I know. We are so bereft of any political leadership between Agent Orange and Joe "Shoot them in the leg instead" Biden that times are desperate and suddenly multinationals with a few million followers feel the need to fill the void. But don't demand a statement or an avatar update from fucking Nintendo, demand it of organisations and leaders who can change things.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've read through most of the thread, and sorry, I can't see how not coming forward in support is a good or neutral thing. I don't care about their motives, I know corporations aren't my friends, but at the end of the day, they're the only ones not doing it, which isn't a good look.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
We are so bereft of any political leadership between Agent Orange and Joe "Shoot them in the leg instead" Biden

i'd say take this to non gaming because i heavily disagree with this take and characterization.

HOWEVER, i'm concerned more with his tone regarding my statement more than his statement itself. While yes, there is no ethical consumption under capitalism we are gamers and i'm not about to give up my hobby in it's entirety. so being that i'm heavily invested, i want to see those companies speak out publicly. At LEAST it'll push some anti-sjw gamer types out of my console space.

ZettaiSeigi

Oct 29, 2017
It's so easy to dismiss corporate statements on such matters as publicity stunts. After all, it's true that they are supposed to generate money for their stockholders. But is it really that impossible to do that and be profitable at the same time? Things like corporate social responsibility (CSR) exist and they're more common that you may think. Of course, it could be true for some, but how about considering what these companies has stood for in the past?

I should consider myself rather lucky that I work for a company that legitimately cares about the well-being of their employees. Yes, it's one a huge one that some people here would easily dismiss should we issue a similar statement like what Sony, Microsoft, and others did. And yes, we did issue a similar statement. But how would I know that it's not just PR? Because it's clear to see with how us employees are bring treated. 2020 is no easy year for anyone, but despite all that, we were assured that we won't lose our jobs (we're even still hiring) and the company has done everything in its power to make our working from home arrangements a lot easier and manageable. They've been very understanding about the challenges that the situation has brought to the table and they've been respectful of our work-life balance. I have to say that even I found the amount of support we're getting as staggering.

Even before all these challenges, the company has been very supportive of diversity in the workplace -- and they are not for show. Our senior leaders are actively participating on them, everyone has a voice (even a rank-and-file employee like me), and everyone feels like they are of value and have something to contribute. It's not all roses and rainbows, of course, as the work we do is not easy and it comes with very high expectations. But if you are taken care of that way, how can you not perform or not have the motivation to excel?

This is why statements of support matter. It's not always done for the sake of PR or gaining goodwill. The people who work on these companies are people too. We are affected by all these issues. If the customers of these companies you accuse of doing things for sheer attention are being oppressed or murdered, it could easily happen to any of their employees. For an employee like me, it is good to know that I work for a company that is socially-responsible. So while the company is not my friend, it is definitely one that supports me beyond just my payday.

CheapJi

Apr 24, 2018
The example I used with regards to firemen was extreme, for effect. You say that a fireman is only consequentially earning money out of passion for people's lives. And yet, you can't afford that same thinking to a company. There is no reason that a company, as a collective, can't feel genuine compassion for a cause, especially when their actions have tangible benefits to people's lives.

All most of these companies are saying is: "we don't support racism". Why does there need to be any cynicism about this. If taking a stand like that actually improves their bottom line, then GOOD. If companies get financially punished for not being socially progressive, then I see that as a positive step in changing culture. Almost like market-based racial reform...

I personally don't support EA as a company, or their products... But why do things need to be so binary? If they're saying something positive, good on them, I can applaud that. If they do something stupid in the future, I can react to that accordingly... What I can recognise is that they do have a big audience. If them taking a stance changes even one person's mind, then it's worth it.

What's more important is that there is a collective voice from everyone, including companies. More voices creates a strong tide, in which racist commentary gets swept away.

I get what you are implying. It still has its benefits. But what im trying to say is that people shouldnt really praise them as much as they do. it still is pretty good for the cause but it definitely isnt from the goodness of their hearts. people should take the help and be grateful but still remember that these are companies trying to sell you stuff.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
FWIW Nintendo of America still has not tweeted or uploaded anything on Youtube since June 1st. Even though NCL and TPC announced the release date of Pokemon DLC yesterday, NOA has not once marketed that. And they have always marketed every release date announcement for first party DLC without fail.

It shows that NOA actually seems to care about this, though obviously it would be much more meaningful if they could put out a statement, but it seems pretty clear that it's being held up by NCL. Hopefully NCL gives them the green light to say something.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
At LEAST it'll push some anti-sjw gamer types out of my console space.
Thank you, you made me realize why I'm uncomfortable with the "it's all marketing anyway" takes: I absolutely resented most companies for being so quietly complacent during gamergate. So if any of them had come forward to say GG could eat shit, I'd have equally resented someone replying with "wake up, they aren't your friends, this is all about profit".

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why would they care about evil people? Brown people are just white people who turn evil in Nintendo games.

RABicle

Banned
Feb 18, 2018
Western Australia
HOWEVER, i'm concerned more with his tone regarding my statement more than his statement itself.
Now that I have read more of the back and forth between you two I share your concerns.
It's so easy to dismiss corporate statements on such matters as publicity stunts. After all, it's true that they are supposed to generate money for their stockholders. But is it really that impossible to do that and be profitable at the same time? Things like corporate social responsibility (CSR) exist and they're more common that you may think. Of course, it could be true for some, but how about considering what these companies has stood for in the past?

For an employee like me, it is good to know that I work for a company that is socially-responsible. So while the company is not my friend, it is definitely one that supports me beyond just my payday.
You are making me rethink my position. Perhaps I have internalised the horrible culture that corporations owe no-one but their shareholders any favours and that's why I'm cynical. And I know that I personally would like organisation I work for to be more vocal about some issues and less about others. Although I think my orgnaisation is a unique case (a collectively owned university student union - currently governed by dipshit evangelicals). But yes, organisations, even for-profit multinationals should take on more corporate responsibility.

I guess I'm still more interested in what they do than what they say. What could Nintendo do? I guess Nintendo could give more promotion to games on their platform that convey social messages, or are devloped by people from marginalised backgrounds. Nintendo could I dunno provide targeted scholarships or actively hire people from underrepresented groups in the gaming industry. And they could even crow about that on their twitter.

They should definiately be doing something internally to reassure black employeess.

INPAQ

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure this sentiment has been shared here already (at least I hope it has), but I feel like it deserves a continuous boost.....

- White supremacy is an international threat
- The attack on black lives is a global crisis

I truly need people to understand (especially white folks), that the spread of white supremacy and its threat on black lives, continues far beyond the U.S. borders. Japan, China, South Korea and a large part of Asia in general, have a long documented history in committing disparaging acts against black people, often driven by racist white influences.

And before some of you start, I know many of these countries outside the U.S. have monoethnic populations, but that is still no excuse for the ignorance spewed against black communities from these regions (especially in the age of instant online information). In addition, most of the depictions of black people, are controlled by predominantly white conglomerates, that often profit from the misrepresentation of black people globally.
So in short, even though the origins of Nintendo are rooted in Japan, they're still a global corporation (with a significant market share in the U.S.), that should assist in supporting black lives and dismantling the global pandemic which is white supremacy.

Kuma

alt account
Banned
Apr 15, 2020

The idea that the only way you can believe someone is donating is by them publicly stating it is honestly quite ridiculous. Especially when that same company has a well-documented years old policy of not publicly disclosing their donations.

Donation policy says nothing about BLM or the fact that they never acknowledge black people or think they exist

Kass15

Jan 14, 2018
Even if they were worried about putting out a statement over fears of isolating a small portion of customers, the amount of people that would actually stop buying a product for a stance is next to none. With the amount of Companies that have already made a statement - these ridiculous people would be left with not much to buy. I love Nintendo - big fan boy here - I really hope they make a statement because, even if it's from a Company and it might be an empty gesture, any additional exposure is always a benefit for the cause.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only time I remember NoA being public with donations or participating in such thing was the Ice Bucket challenge.
But I also know, that NoA is participating in the Seattle Pride Parade

Puffball

Jan 16, 2018
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing, especially since the Pokemon Company released a tweet a couple of days ago supporting BLM.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Donation policy says nothing about BLM or the fact that they never acknowledge black people or think they exist

The fact that they double matched donations now when their existing policy is only to match them should heavily suggest this is regarding BLM.

Obviously an explicit statement of support would be better, I've never argued otherwise.

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
But I thought companies weren't your friends...?

Can't believe people were defending their lack of acknowledgement earlier.

Good to see them finally show support. Using their platform for the social good. Very odd it took this long though.

Moose the Fattest Cat

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 15, 2017
In all honesty, again, this isn't something that deserves an award — but I'm glad they did it before this hit 20 pages

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
Took long enough, but the fact that they made a statement and are matching donations works for me.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Great on Nintendo.

Absolutely fucking terrible from some of their fans on this thread too btw.

Honest question, how many "Nintendo fans" defended their silence in this thread? I've seen a lot more "shame on fans for defending this" posts than actual posts defending it.

Note, explaining their silence =/= defending it.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I encouraged Nintendo to do it and they did it. I figured it would come at some point with how big this has grown, even though they don't do these kinds of things.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Thread title needs updating since it is 100% inaccurate now.

Edit: as seen above.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Honestly I prefer better representation in games such as skin colors in Animal Crossing than a hollow statement on social medias.
It's not a zero sum game. Why do people keep bringing up this baseless rethoric as well? Seriously, at this point I could probably come up with 3 very clear groups of rethoric trying to justify Nintendo's lack of much needed public statement.
It's not a "they either do this or this" matter when they can absolutely do both and both would being positive results.

Edit: Oh shit! Missed the latest tweet. FINALLY! Thank you.
"B-b-but they shouldn't say anything! Leave them alone!".
But I thought companies weren't your friends...?

Can't believe people were defending their lack of acknowledgement earlier.

Good to see them finally show support. Using their platform for the social good. Very odd it took this long though.
Everyone defending and rationalizing the lack of a statement is gonna do a U-turn now.

Strat

"This guy are sick"
Apr 8, 2018
They probably had to jump through multiple hoops to get this approved. I don't believe for a second NoA wasn't trying to push a statement through for days.

Status
Not open for further replies.