• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
JayWood2010

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
You keep the missing the point somehow, If the main point behind an end goal is that a character's actions should to lead said end goal but they don't that's what as known bad pacing which P4 tends have throughout the entire game up to November. No action that the Investigation Team does up to that point leads to them closer to the killer's identity which is their goal right, Each rescue just adds a new member to introduce their quirk to you right, Yukiko likes laughing, Chie likes Meat, Kanji likes females, So does Yosuke and Teddy and Naoto gets embarrassed about girly things. I don't care about P4's cast outside of Naoto and Kanji because they don't show any care or reflection towards meeting their goal which is primary purpose of why their group exists. The slice of life stuff doesn't matter because it's not the group main purpose for existing, Solving the mystery behind the Murders, Catching the killer , solving the mystery the Midnight Channel and returning Teddy's World back to normal (Which every one in the cast, Teddy included forgets about).
Were they trying to solve the mystery? Yes or no?

Them failing to do so is a different topic.

Apollo's Sun

Apr 25, 2018
Were they trying to solve the mystery? Yes or no?

Them failing to do so is a different topic.

No because if they were they would confirm their speculations instead of doing the same thing that leads them to no closer to solving what they want to solve. My point is that despite having an end goal P4 has bad pacing because the group's actions never lead them closer to the end goal for 8 whole months.

ohlawd

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Phantagrande
ya, P5 and Zelda: BotW. just the worst.

Space palace was the worst, but I wouldn't call this game over-rated. We have pretty much the entirety of Sony's own line of games to call that. Hell, one of them just came out!
(Persona 5 is my GOTY 2017, but in no way is my favorite Persona game, because that would be 4 Golden)
:bloblul:

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
Re-read the OP. I just think the OP did not understand or resonate with what P5 was going for.

At least for me, I am itching to replay the game each time I think about it even after replaying it 3 times. There were lots of discussion in the old forum on the meanings and how everything fits together. I was part of that discussion in the first month having finished the game in the first week from when it came out. I'm sorry that its not for you OP and the other people constantly bashing on P5.

OP
OP
JayWood2010

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
Is it a praise thread? I wont play semantics with you about calling it "overrated", extend me the same courtesy.
Its neither.

Criticism - the analysis and judgment of the merits and faults of a literary or artistic work.

I have brought the question about whether or not reviewers got this correct in terms of people's opinions.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
I agree. I give serious sideeye to anyone who claims the pacing, dungeons and characters in Persona 5 is bad while also talking about how Persona 3 is amazing.
Actually, P3 party members are quite good, especially since their development is tied to the story.

I agree with the pacing and Tartarus (and also the abyss of time) being terrible and one of the worst aspects of P3.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I know people love it, but I hated it personally. Was my first Persona and I bought it based on all the acclaim. Thought it was a dismal game: overlong, poor writing, dull localisation, bad dungeons, restrictive, repetitive. I really, really disliked it.

OP
OP
JayWood2010

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
But your criticisms are bias to an extent because you apply to them P5 but not to P4. When someone brings up the bad pacing P4 has, You go but it has an end goal so it's fine.
I did not say it was fine. I said one issue with P5 was that there was no end goal. You then brought up P4(or somebody else), and I said it did have an end goal.

Mark Dagician

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
For those complaining about the dungeons in P5 : please save yourself a migraine and stay away from the SMT titles. I'm not trying to be an elitist douchebag, just a honest advise.

Buckley

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
I know people love it, but I hated it personally. Was my first Persona and I bought it based on all the acclaim. Thought it was a dismal game: overlong, poor writing, dull localisation, bad dungeons, restrictive, repetitive. I really, really disliked it.
That's where I'm at. I tried to love it but it felt so dull and outdated. The dialogue and writing were poor and I hated how restrictive the game is. It felt more like a VN at times. Game drags on way too long, as well.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Space palace was the worst, but I wouldn't call this game over-rated. We have pretty much the entirety of Sony's own line of games to call that. Hell, one of them just came out!
(Persona 5 is my GOTY 2017, but in no way is my favorite Persona game, because that would be 4 Golden)
What is this trash post?

Oct 27, 2017
I remember getting super pumped up for the Hawaii trip in P5 since me and my GF were going to Hawaii a few months later. I let her know that P4 had an awesome event similar to this where everyone went on a camping trip and a lot of fun, goofy and memorable moments ensued.

Then the trip happened. And it was literally them complaining the whole time and/or talking about investigation shit. It was SUPER underwhelming and it left a bad impression. Goddamn that trip was super disappointing compared to P4. The game rarely let the cast interact together, and the Hawaii trip was the perfect moment. Alas, that perfect moment wasn't seized, and it seemed to be rushed along to get to the main plot. Shame really, the characters never got enough time to have character.

Jack Remington

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm replaying it right now. Disagree entirely. The characters are awesome.

Futaba's palace is some of the heaviest shit in any game.

Oct 29, 2017
Paris
Can't wait for the "Spiderman, GOW and Detroit are overrated and bad games, here why" threats.

I just loved everything about Persona 5, especially the replay value.

Listai

50¢ - "This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
I found it disappointing.

I love the combat, the aesthetic, the music and the setting. But the languid, indolent pace of the narrative forced me to take a break for about a month before I could muster the enthusiasm to jump back in. One of my hopes for the anime is a reasonably well paced take on the story from the game.

J_Ark

Oct 27, 2017
Pacing, really. Keep me hooked all the 100+ hours, never saw the time to come back home and unravel the mysteries that keep it moving: flashfoward, cat and mouse game with the police, know-how of cognitive theory, interesting mini-stories involving each boss and palace (reflection of a rotten real world that we live on), the different confidants,... I enjoyed it as much as I did with the murder mystery solving of P4 but with better cast, music, gameplay, art, dungeons,...

Last edited:

Klaphat

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
I remember getting super pumped up for the Hawaii trip in P5 since me and my GF were going to Hawaii a few months later. I let her know that P4 had an awesome event similar to this where everyone went on a camping trip and a lot of fun, goofy and memorable moments ensued.

Then the trip happened. And it was literally them complaining the whole time and/or talking about investigation shit. It was SUPER underwhelming and it left a bad impression. Goddamn that trip was super disappointing compared to P4. The game rarely let the cast interact together, and the Hawaii trip was the perfect moment. Alas, that perfect moment wasn't seized, and it seemed to be rushed along to get to the main plot. Shame really, the characters never got enough time to have character.

The events are super disappointing in Persona 5 and it ties together with the lackluster characters. The character and confidant storylines in Persona 5 are just not interesting or memorable. It's like they actively tried to create the most boring stories and characters they could come up with. I really can't understand how anyone can praise the characters and confidants storylines.

Steiner

Oct 29, 2017
The events are super disappointing in Persona 5 and it ties together with the lackluster characters. The character and confidant storylines in Persona 5 are just not interesting or memorable. It's like they actively tried to create the most boring stories and characters they could come up with. I really can't understand how anyone can praise the characters and confidants storylines.

Sojiros, Futabas and Kawakamis Condidants are among the best in the series and the general quality is above P4s. Characters appearing in each other Confidants is a huge step up feom previous games.

Of course they're bad ones, Chihaya for example imo, which all comes down to personal preference in the end.
But nothing beats the boredom I felt with Ayanes SL in 4.

Im pretty sure the events are supposed to be not funny, they're not the focus like they were in 4 and wouldn't fit the atmosphere at all. I can't imagine them going out camping or to an cross dress contest, without thinking about what's going on.

GoldenKings

Oct 28, 2017
I just bought Persona 5 during the Golden Week sale and I don't play many jrpgs so I'm hoping op is wrong here lol

Escaflow

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Personal taste , for me Persona 4 is very overrated too . P5 for me is one of the best RPG for me for the last decade since Shadow Hearts : Covenant .

Whompa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why I agree with you: I played it. Got bored. Music was obnoxious. Put it down and never went back

Last edited:

MagnesG

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Lol I felt betrayed in the exact same moment.

Anoxida

Oct 30, 2017
Yea, this is a believable post. /s

I don't give a shit what you like, but you put 4 hunndos in the rest of the series but 5 is garbage? Ok.gif

God you're obnoxious. My response is to your statement that you cant dislike p5 if you enjoyed 3 and 4, even though you have countless of examples in this thread already. If you want to know my feelings on the game in depth then feel free to check my post history . I think p4g is one of the best games I've played and I think 5 is one of the worst games I bought last year. You dont get to decide what I feel.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
God you're obnoxious. My response is to your statement that you cant dislike p5 if you enjoyed 3 and 4, even though you have countless of examples in this thread already. If you want to know my feelings on the game in depth then feel free to check my post history . I think p4g is one of the best games I've played and I think 5 is one of the worst games I bought last year. You dont get to decide what I feel.

I don't want to decide what you feel.. I respect people's opinions with the exception of outliers. To me, your opinion is like you liking Street fighter 2 and championship edition, but hating SF2: Turbo/ hyper fighting.

That is an unlikely opinion when all things considered. If it wasn't for golden; spruced up graphics and being portable (and Chie chan), it would still be the least favorite out of 3,4 and 5. The dungeons weren't changed up too much from 3; blobs on the floor enemies, wacky ass tv portal hook, etc. I could go and on.. but I still love the game. Because of it being on a portable, maybe it was "paced" better for you like it was for a lot of people..

But to go from "the best you've played" to "the worst game you bought" the entire year, without a why or how makes you seem like you're not being truthful and that's in my opinion anyway. Why would i believe this from someone who apparently put in hundreds of hours into a game and can't even compare and contrast the two

What you call being obnoxious is me phishing for more out of your post than "you can't tell me how to feel!"

Edit: I erased the last line, twas unnecessary.

MH MD

Oct 25, 2017
Let me explain it in a different way.

Brandon Sanderson, a highly successful author if you know who he is says that in storytelling you should start a story off by making promises. These promises not only engage readers but lets them know what the story is about, and helps meet their expectations.

Persona 4 does this.

Persona 5, does not.

But your criticisms are bias to an extent because you apply to them P5 but not to P4. When someone brings up the bad pacing P4 has, You go but it has an end goal so it's fine.

Of all the complaints anyone can have to P5, i don't even get this one.
How P5 doesn't have an end goal? How it doesn't "make promises"? the game literally goes media-res in the beginning and establish an end goal from the get-go, how did they got there? why police caught them in this other world? how did they know of it's existence and managed to catch Joker? who is the traitor? The interrogation is used as a frame device for most of the game for a reason.
And then there is the mystery of Morgana, the man who ruined the protagonist's life,the whole mental shutdowns thing, and more importantly, the Mementos, why it exists really? you know from the beginning that it will lead to something, they are all established from the beginning of the game, and it do it's job to follow on them in the end, it doesn't introduce anything new at the last minute for example.

Now you could argue whether it was good or not or if it was executed poorly or decently, that's valid and fair - i think the mystery of traitor was very poor compared to the culprit in P4 for example-, but to outright claims that there is NO end-goal whatsoever is just blatantly wrong.

Last edited:

Anoxida

Oct 30, 2017
I don't want to decide what you feel.. I respect people's opinions with the exception of outliers. To me, your opinion is like you liking Street fighter 2 and championship edition, but hating SF2: Turbo/ hyper fighting.

That is an unlikely opinion when all things considered. If it wasn't for golden; spruced up graphics and being portable (and Chie chan), it would still be the least favorite out of 3,4 and 5. The dungeons weren't changed up too much from 3; blobs on the floor enemies, wacky ass tv portal hook, etc. I could go and on.. but I still love the game. Because of it being on a portable, maybe it was "paced" better for you like it was for a lot of people..

But to go from "the best you've played" to "the worst game you bought" the entire year, without a why or how makes you seem like you're not being truthful and that's in my opinion anyway. Why would i believe this from someone who apparently put in hundreds of hours into a game and can't even compare and contrast the two

What you call being obnoxious is me phishing for more out of your post than "you can't tell me how to feel!"

Edit: I erased the last line, twas unnecessary.

An easier way to start a productive conversation would be to just ask normally? You never questioned you just went ahead and did the whole sarcasm .gif shit right away. Anyway I'm over it. Moving on.

Oct 27, 2017
It was ok. Took about 100 hours over 3 months because I got super burned out on a lot of it. Everything about the kamoshida arc was great. Then it went downhill. Getting boring, repetitive. The time constraint started becoming more and more a hassle. Some of this dungeons were just super grindy. Then the story started getting stupid *cough* akechi.

The persona stuff was interesting at first, but it's just not as fulfilling as a Pokémon game is

I love anime so I wanted to give it s try since people always rave about the games. It's as I said, ok. One good take away Is that I left the game really wanting a persona/yakuza style game in the sense that I want to be able to do all of the social stuff without the other stupid BS

I'd say it's a good 7.2-7.3/10( I also think game scores are too high in general)