Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
Totally anecdotal, but several Europeans I've talked to view it as a trend for lazy 16-year-olds that they'll eventually grow out of. The stigma it carries there for some people is bizarre (and ironic considering the extremely high cigarette smoking rates and alcohol use in a lot of European countries). Conversely, here in Oregon it's as normal as drinking. In fact there are far more dispensaries than liquor stores.

Sep 7, 2018
Do you think we should punish overweight and obese people?

No, I am not for any punishment. But whether you like it or not, overall obiesity brings increased financial costs, both through increased medical expenses for public healthcare, lower taxes due to decreased working life, and increased expenses due to more social security payments. I am not saying that every fat or obese individual will strain our welfare system in the nordic countries, but the overall effect is negative, which is why a healthy lifestyle should be encouraged.

A Path Finder

Developer at ioi
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
sounds like a draconian hellscape tbh. what's next? banning sugar or fast food? those things are definitely going to kill you quicker than weed. how about banning coffee, it's definitely an addictive drug. i know people at work who don't eve function if they don't drink like 3 cups early in the morning. that can't be good for your health either, the goverment should definitely step in.

It's not illegal in the same sense as weed or other drugs. It's banned in public because it is seen as a health hazard for passive smokers. And that is well backed up by science. But smoking normal cigarettes is not illegal at all, just don't do it where people are doing public gatherings.

As for weed...I hope it gets legalized but probably going to be a long ass time before it happens in Sweden. It was never common here and the propagande against drugs in the 80s and 90s was super strong, still is, and treated every single drug the same. Basically, if you smoke weed you might as well do heroin too. At the same time people have no problem with alcohol which is way worse than weed in every way.

Tempy

Oct 25, 2017
Wait weed isn't fully legal in the Netherlands? I've been bamboozled

It's not. Under a certain amount (personal use) it's legal. I wish they'd make it fully legal, but the problem is that it requires the whole European Union to do so. Criminal gangs would operate in countries where it's legal and easily smuggle it to other countries in the EU since there are no passport checks.

Then again, I figure you'd have the same issue between the various US states, so I dunno.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
The gummy edibles are where its at. Pop one of those and you are gooooooooood.

The lemonade drinks are nice too. I'm sure it exists but my only complaint is edibles tend to be strong. Wish they let you have, more gummies but with each gummy being a lower potency.
I always wanted to down an entire 10 pack of those gummies just to see if I can still be a functioning human

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
Weed stinks worse than fags though. It literally makes me feel sick.

Which is one reason why edibles and distillate cartridges are so popular in states where weed is legal. People seem to have this notion that legal weed just means more people smoking joins and pipes, etc. WRONG. You can consume it in many ways that don't involve smoke.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Which is one reason why edibles and distillate cartridges are so popular in states where weed is legal. People seem to have this notion that legal weed just means more people smoking joins and pipes, etc. WRONG. You can consume it in many ways that don't involve smoke.
Yep

Flowers are the most widespread and easiest to find a plug for

floridaguy954

Oct 29, 2017
It really has nothing to do with conservatism.
As has been detailed in this very thread there is just no need for legalisation in a big way because for the most part it isn't criminalised.
no one is in prison for ridiculous amounts of time for personal position of drugs.
It has everything to do with conservatism and maintaining some 'comfortable' sense of the status quo.

Even without the motivation of marijuana being criminalized, it should still be legalized, straight up.

whitehawk

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
As a citizen of one of the nordic countries I do not support legalization, even if it is comparable to alchohol. It is inevitable that there will be people that will be addicted, along with other external costs to society. It will increase the strain on government finances, and as a taxpayer I do not want to add another factor that will increase the cost of our social safety nets.
ignorance is a helluva drug

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
Dude if you're in a country that allows alcohol to be sold and regulates it, the. You have zero argument against anyone wanting the same treatment for marijuana. Anyone suggesting otherwise is a joke, because every argument against addiction and societal harm goes out the window. Also considering weed is safer than alcohol it's a no brainer.

haveheart

Oct 25, 2017
I have a subscription for weed like Netflix or some shit, roughly 80% dealers I know/knew also always had something else and won't shy away offering the harder stuff.

I don't know if bad trips happen on legal weed I never had any unfortunately apart from Amsterdam. I'd like to try but it's "illegal because it's forbidden" (c) Christian Social Union overlords in Germany.

Also my experience.

The more you bought and the longer you we're in, the closer you got to real bad people. Speed, meth, heroin, sometimes also weapons.

If you didn't want to get tiny amounts every two weeks, you necessarily had to get in touch with such people that are higher in the supply chain, making it more dangerous.

The real gateway is criminalization, period.

Also, no matter if illegal or not, people who want to smoke weed will smoke weed. It would only make it safer.

Deleted member 18360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And because I guess I have a bee in my bonnet about this, to the 'two wrongs don't make a right' people:

A lesser wrong is more right than a greater wrong. Society would be better off if we had the option of safer drugs. We're not going to eliminate recreational drug use within our lifetimes, so our priority should then be harm reduction, which cannabis legalization (and legalization generally) has as a benefit. If more people switched from alcohol to cannabis, we'd certainly save lives. And if people intent on taking harder, currently criminalized drugs, didn't have to access them through the black market, we'd certainly save lives. There isn't an argument for criminalization that isn't cruel or unreflectively punitive.

Last edited:

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
some of the shit i'm reading here is so fucking asinine it's ridiculous. what year is this? gateway drug? addictive? what the fuck? educate yourselves, christ almighty. it's funny too, especially considering how culturally celebrated and pronounced alcohol is in comparison and how much fucking worse it is as a drug. considering it is actually addictive and is actively killing and poisoning you. no one is fucking overdosing or getting poisoned by some weed lol. it's so completely harmless that it frankly boggles my mind at how some see it as some big evil. its been almost a whole year since legalization here and society hasn't collapsed yet.

and as others have said, if the only con you see is that you hate the smell of a joint, then pop some edibles or a pill or some oil. there's lots of different ways to get high lol.

y'all need some weed...

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Also my experience.

The more you bought and the longer you we're in, the closer you got to real bad people. Speed, meth, heroin, sometimes also weapons.

If you didn't want to get tiny amounts every two weeks, you necessarily had to get in touch with such people that are higher in the supply chain, making it more dangerous.

The real gateway is criminalization, period.

Also, no matter if illegal or not, people who want to smoke weed will smoke weed. It would only make it safer.

That's why I have fits everytime someone calls pot a "gateway drug".

It's only a gateway drug because the dealers are also selling other illegal drugs and people will jump on that.

If you could walk into a store and buy quality stuff instead of dealing with the weirdos trying to sell you bags of sticks, then suddenly drug dealers are only selling the truly nasty shit like meth and pain pills. Suddenly even the drug laws and drug enforcement makes a whole lot more sense in that environment.

haveheart

Oct 25, 2017
That's why I have fits everytime someone calls pot a "gateway drug".

It's only a gateway drug because the dealers are also selling other illegal drugs and people will jump on that.

If you could walk into a store and buy quality stuff instead of dealing with the weirdos trying to sell you bags of sticks, then suddenly drug dealers are only selling the truly nasty shit like meth and pain pills. Suddenly even the drug laws and drug enforcement makes a whole lot more sense in that environment.

Aboslutely.

This really does make you think, right? Why would they want to keep it this way. I know it might be far fetched or at least it's an oversimplification but I tend to think that tobacco and alcohol lobbies don't want any other drug to take some of their share.

Dunno, it's just frustrating. On another note, I haven't touched weed for 13 years now and I don't intend (not even slightly interested) to but I just can't get over how it's being treated.

NekoNeko

Coward
Oct 26, 2017
It's not legal here but people literally roll it in front of cops all the time so who cares?

Cor

Oct 25, 2017
As a citizen of one of the nordic countries I do not support legalization, even if it is comparable to alchohol. It is inevitable that there will be people that will be addicted, along with other external costs to society. It will increase the strain on government finances, and as a taxpayer I do not want to add another factor that will increase the cost of our social safety nets.
This argument doesnt hold, tho. Looking solely at the cost factor, for as long as it is illegal, the taxpayer will incur 100% of the cost of treating whatever problems arise from consumption (and theres no way to deny service to users because hey, they pay taxes too), whereas the trafficker will keep 100% of the income. The only way the taxpayer can have his burden decreased is by taxing it, thus making the seller and buyer pay into the social safety net that might be required to save them.

Its even worse if you arrest traffickers, because then you also have the considerable expenses of trialing and keeping them imprisoned.

If you genuinely worry about social cost, the only answer is to legalize and tax, same as is done with cigarettes.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Funny, Sweden just made smoking in general in public areas illegal. And are on track to outright ban smoking in the next decade. Hopefully vaping will also be part of that, and all the other shit that falls in the same bucket of poo.

As for use in home, I couldn't care less if people killed themselves fast, let alone poisoned themselves over many years.
Wow nice post. You sound like a good person

BakedTanooki

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Weed still not being legal here (EU, Germany) is just crazy, so far behind and just out of touch with reality.

You can finally get it for medical reasons, but it's still a pain in the ass to get there.